[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Viper
[Today at 10:44:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NHL 2020-21  (Read 8820 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: NHL 2020-21
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2021, 09:55:15 PM »
Tampa repeats. Yzerman built a monster. Hoping he can do the same back in Detroit.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2021, 09:58:12 PM »
Is there a tougher job in professional sports than NHL goalie?  The TB goalie is incredible.

shoothoops

• All American
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 10:55:31 PM by shoothoops »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2021, 11:16:28 PM »
Is there a tougher job in professional sports than NHL goalie?  The TB goalie is incredible.

Price was really good too. Carried the Habs to the finals. TB’s was better.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2021, 11:21:37 PM »
Effen Titletown.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2021, 11:28:59 PM »
Price was really good too. Carried the Habs to the finals. TB’s was better.

True.  TB is way more talented.  Who's the best goalie ever?  Hasek?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2021, 11:32:33 PM »

Who knows?

For example, Grant Fuhr was tremendous, especially in the playoffs, but his stats weren’t great because the Oilers prioritized offense over defense.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2021, 11:35:46 PM »
Who knows?

For example, Grant Fuhr was tremendous, especially in the playoffs, but his stats weren’t great because the Oilers prioritized offense over defense.

I just remember as a kid Hasek being ridiculous for the Sabers.  Incredible reflexes.  I guess most debate Roy or Hasek....I was just throwing it out there.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2021, 11:52:48 PM »

As far as I can tell some combo of Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur are pretty much the conversation at this point. I'm sure there are older players that people will argue for, but I'm not too familiar with anyone who preceded these three. I'd give it to Hasek personally but Roy and Brodeur were both really good for a really long time. 

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2021, 09:24:40 AM »
As far as I can tell some combo of Hasek, Roy, and Brodeur are pretty much the conversation at this point. I'm sure there are older players that people will argue for, but I'm not too familiar with anyone who preceded these three. I'd give it to Hasek personally but Roy and Brodeur were both really good for a really long time.

I remember thinking Bernie Parent was darn near invincible during the Flyers' heyday. And I hated the effen Flyers, so it ticked me off bigly. I also hated the effen Islanders, but Billy Smith was incredible.

Real old-timers would probably go with somebody like Jacques Plante or Terry Sawchuk. Those with a world view might put Vladislav Tretiak in the mix. During my formative years as a Rangers fan, I loved Eddie Giacomin.

Were I to choose the best I've seen since I've been old enough to think objectively, my short list would be (in alphabetical order) Brodeur, Dryden, Esposito, Fuhr, Hasek, Parent, Roy, Smith.

But Vasilevskiy is damn good and is getting pretty close to earning a spot on that list. 3-time all-star (the last 3 seasons in which there was an ASG), 4-time Vezina finalist (with 1 win), 2-time champion (winning the Smythe this year). Pretty darn impressive. It's tough for opponents when the most talented, most experienced team also has the hottest goalie.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2021, 10:21:13 AM »
Were I to choose the best I've seen since I've been old enough to think objectively, my short list would be (in alphabetical order) Brodeur, Dryden, Esposito, Fuhr, Hasek, Parent, Roy, Smith.

But Vasilevskiy is damn good and is getting pretty close to earning a spot on that list. 3-time all-star (the last 3 seasons in which there was an ASG), 4-time Vezina finalist (with 1 win), 2-time champion (winning the Smythe this year). Pretty darn impressive. It's tough for opponents when the most talented, most experienced team also has the hottest goalie.

Vasilevskiy is fantastic, but he has a way to go.  He's also been tremendously helped by fantastic defense.  Hedman and McDonough anchoring your top 2 D lines frees up any goaltender to be the best version of himself.

I think its kind of crazy how mercurial the position, and especially perception, is.  Look at Fleury.  He's backstopped 3 Cups for the Pens.  Went to a bunch of ASGs.  Backstopped a Canadian gold medal team...and they couldn't wait to run him out of Pittsburgh.  Then he went to Vegas and put an expansion team on his back that went to another Stanley Cup finals, plus another Conference Finals.  And he just won his first Vezina.  Probably one of the most underappreciated goalies of all time.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2021, 10:46:21 AM »

A solid list right there, but Ken Dryden has to be included on any best ever list.

I think its kind of crazy how mercurial the position, and especially perception, is.  Look at Fleury.  He's backstopped 3 Cups for the Pens.  Went to a bunch of ASGs.  Backstopped a Canadian gold medal team...and they couldn't wait to run him out of Pittsburgh.  Then he went to Vegas and put an expansion team on his back that went to another Stanley Cup finals, plus another Conference Finals.  And he just won his first Vezina.  Probably one of the most underappreciated goalies of all time.

I'm with you 100% on Fleury. Pittsburgh fans focused on a few playoff failures instead of the tremendous success he had winning three Cups. The save he had a the gun in game 7 in 2009 still haunts me as a Wings fan.

I'd put him at the top of the "all underrated list" along with Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Ed Belfour, Ryan Miller, Curtis Joseph, and Mike Richter of those I saw play.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2021, 10:54:23 AM »
Vasilevskiy is fantastic, but he has a way to go.  He's also been tremendously helped by fantastic defense.  Hedman and McDonough anchoring your top 2 D lines frees up any goaltender to be the best version of himself.

Good points, all.

A solid list right there, but Ken Dryden has to be included on any best ever list.

I'm with you 100% on Fleury. Pittsburgh fans focused on a few playoff failures instead of the tremendous success he had winning three Cups. The save he had a the gun in game 7 in 2009 still haunts me as a Wings fan.

I'd put him at the top of the "all underrated list" along with Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Ed Belfour, Ryan Miller, Curtis Joseph, and Mike Richter of those I saw play.

Also, good points re Fleury.

Unlike all the others on your list, though, Belfour is in the HoF, so he’s not completely underappreciated.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2021, 11:28:22 AM »
Good points, all.

Also, good points re Fleury.

Unlike all the others on your list, though, Belfour is in the HoF, so he’s not completely underappreciated.

I did not realize that about Belfour. Though sometimes guys can be elected to the HOF but underappreciated by fans.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2021, 12:23:35 PM »
I did not realize that about Belfour. Though sometimes guys can be elected to the HOF but underappreciated by fans.

Its cause he played the prime of his career in prime Bill Wirtz era Chicago.  The Hawks were good, but the media coverage and fan support was ehhh. 

Ryan Miller is another great call.  Again, even though he was on some good teams, playing in Buffalo for awhile had him toiling in some level of obscurity.  Then heading to the hated Canucks didn't help.  Which is funny cause the Canucks have become pretty dang likable the last few seasons.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2021, 12:58:37 PM »
https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-goalies-all-time-save-percentage-leaders.html

Corey Crawford at #13 on this list? Never would have guessed he'd be that high. I think he stopped more pucks with his head than any other goalie I've ever seen.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2021, 01:47:13 PM »
Corey Crawford at #13 on this list? Never would have guessed he'd be that high. I think he stopped more pucks with his head than any other goalie I've ever seen.

Crawford had a stretch where he was absolutely unreal.  But again, he also played with fantastic D-men most of his career which helps.

It also shows why its an imperfect statistic when measuring goaltenders.  Looking at some of those names.  Nobody is confusing Cory Schneider or Khudobin as all time greats.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2021, 01:50:01 PM »
Crawford had a stretch where he was absolutely unreal.  But again, he also played with fantastic D-men most of his career which helps.

It also shows why its an imperfect statistic when measuring goaltenders.  Looking at some of those names.  Nobody is confusing Cory Schneider or Khudobin as all time greats.

Oh, I totally agree. I always thought he was overlooked even as the Hawks were winning Cups with him.
Signature:

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2021, 02:02:08 PM »
Its cause he played the prime of his career in prime Bill Wirtz era Chicago.  The Hawks were good, but the media coverage and fan support was ehhh. 

Ryan Miller is another great call.  Again, even though he was on some good teams, playing in Buffalo for awhile had him toiling in some level of obscurity.  Then heading to the hated Canucks didn't help.  Which is funny cause the Canucks have become pretty dang likable the last few seasons.

Miller also made his name at the keeper for the 2010 US Olympic Team. They were only in the gold medal match because of his ridiculous performance in Vancouver.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2021, 02:36:37 PM »
Terry Sawchuk has to be up there, due to the fact he spent much of his career without a facemask. That my friends, is insane.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2021, 05:47:41 PM »
Terry Sawchuk has to be up there, due to the fact he spent much of his career without a facemask. That my friends, is insane.

I'm convinced so much of the absurdly tough and lunatic NHL player behavior is just endemic to the sport after how insane it was early.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2021, 06:00:33 PM »
I'm convinced so much of the absurdly tough and lunatic NHL player behavior is just endemic to the sport after how insane it was early.

You also didn't have players shooting as hard, or raising the puck as much back then.  Still can't wrap my mind around it, but also can't wrap my mind around the MLB not requiring helmets until the early 70s.  Think it was more a lack of education about the seriousness of head injuries at the time.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2021, 06:45:25 PM »
You also didn't have players shooting as hard, or raising the puck as much back then.  Still can't wrap my mind around it, but also can't wrap my mind around the MLB not requiring helmets until the early 70s.  Think it was more a lack of education about the seriousness of head injuries at the time.

I mean hell, even in recent times, look at the fit that players threw in requiring helmets or face shields. Players resist them as long as possible

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2021, 12:05:33 AM »
SS Marquette