[Today at 10:46:03 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Viper
[Today at 10:44:20 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Can a woman be a head coach for mens sports?  (Read 10594 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Can a woman be a head coach for mens sports?
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 12:48:24 PM »
I don't think that strategy will work very well with today's open minded young women.

http://www.espn.com/ncw/news/story?page=Mag15unhealthyclimate

Homophobia is very much still a thing. And even if it wouldn't work on the recruit, it may work on their parents.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2018, 01:35:06 PM »
I am not justifying anything. There are just more opportunities for women in basketball than the other sports and just asked the question? Who hires coaches at the high school level for all sports and how many women actually apply for those positions? If we want to see more women coaches I think that is where it should begin so they can go on to coach in college and even the pros. Are those not legitimate question?

It's a question of scale and targets. One could argue there aren't a lot of female coaches at the high school and college level because there aren't any visible coaches at the professional(NBA) level. Same concept as pushing STEM with young women, you have to give them role models to look to so that more people view it as a viable profession. Rare is the person who wants to slog away at a low level job with little or no hope(because it hasn't been done) of getting a big/bigger job in the space.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2018, 01:35:15 PM »
http://www.espn.com/ncw/news/story?page=Mag15unhealthyclimate

Homophobia is very much still a thing. And even if it wouldn't work on the recruit, it may work on their parents.

You don't things have changed enough since that article was written and if the recruit really wanted to play for that other coach you think the parents would really sway the recruit? Also a coach would have to take a big gamble that a highly sought after recruit's parents are averse for their daughter to play for a gay coach. It could very well back fire. Having said that your point is well taken.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »
Homophobia is very much still a thing.
All one has to do to confirm this is read jay bee's posts.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2018, 01:44:28 PM »
It's a question of scale and targets. One could argue there aren't a lot of female coaches at the high school and college level because there aren't any visible coaches at the professional(NBA) level. Same concept as pushing STEM with young women, you have to give them role models to look to so that more people view it as a viable profession. Rare is the person who wants to slog away at a low level job with little or no hope(because it hasn't been done) of getting a big/bigger job in the space.

I guess what I'm asking are there women applying for these jobs not because they want to become a major league coach, but that is what they want to do because it is a job that they just like doing; and if they become successful at it opportunities will arise where the can advance because people will take notice.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 01:45:43 PM »
Jay bee gotta Jay bee.  Sad.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2018, 01:56:54 PM »
Jay bee gotta Jay bee.  Sad.

Please stop the attacks!!!

#NoHammonWhereBoysBeJammin
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2018, 02:00:24 PM »
Acknowledging you being you is an attack?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2018, 02:01:34 PM »

Not an attack, a statement of fact.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »
I don't think that strategy will work very well with today's open minded young women.

maybe not the recruits as much, but the parents......
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2018, 02:35:04 PM »
All one has to do to confirm this is read jay bee's posts.

I think he dislikes women more than gays.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2018, 02:42:23 PM »
Don't understand y wee kant all bee friends, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2018, 03:16:37 PM »
Why the negativity?  Every decision about a coach is a dice roll.  To fire or not.  To hire a retread or an untried assistant.   To hire one that was indicted on sexual assault charges 20 years ago that nobody knew about or not.  To hire a coach from the Popovich tree or not.   To hire a recently fired coach of the year or not.   All gambles.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:30:16 PM by tower912 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2018, 05:46:01 PM »
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2018, 06:42:05 PM »

From Gasol's article:

"O.K. — and then one more thing. It’s almost too stupid to include here … but at the same time, in another way, I also think it’s pretty important. And it gets at something about this league, in the bigger picture, that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately.

It’s this idea that, if there were a female head coach in the NBA, there would be some sort of … “awkwardness in the locker room.”

Maybe you’re laughing to yourself as you read that. And I get it. It’s ridiculous. But I think it’s worth taking seriously, too, for a moment — just in terms of how embarrassing it is for us as a league that this is something people are actually talking about.

First, as for the idea itself: I mean, of course it’s a myth. Give me a break. There’s really nothing to say about it even. The players dress in a certain area, and the coaches dress in a certain area. O.K.? And yes, I’m sure, within that coaches area, Becky has a private space. But the point is — it’s not like you’re seeing male head coaches sharing a space with players while they’re changing. It doesn’t happen. So all I can tell you is that from a decade and a half of personal experience … this line of thinking — like I said, it’s all just very ridiculous. In terms of the locker room, and in terms of behind the scenes, there really is no practical difference in this league between having a male or a female head coach."

This is excellent, and it's so true.

The NBA was the first league to take the "exposed willy" out of the equation in dealing with female sportswriters, too. NBA players have not been getting naked in the "outer locker room" for many, many, many years now, and that's the only place reporters of both genders are allowed entry.

Even before that, most NBA players would use an NBA-issued bathrobe, complete with logos in team colors. They would pull on their underwear without exposing themselves.

Very progressive league. First to use women game officials. First to have women in management positions. First to have women as full-time assistant. I would not be the least bit surprised to see a female head coach, and I have every reason to believe she would be accepted by most players.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

fjm

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2018, 08:34:53 PM »
Man do I hope they hire her!
We can't do much worse than Kidd. And great PR, a whole new fan base of women. And better tan anything else, she can coach and coach really well.

Sign me up.

Buzzed

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2018, 09:31:13 PM »
A certain Marquette grad believes Becky Hammon is the real deal and if the Bucks hire her would back it up with a sponsorship.

https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/status/992585034149195776?s=20

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2018, 11:16:49 PM »

Hammon's forgotten more basketball than you'll ever know.

Jay Bee less credible than the "Crystal Bowel".

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2018, 04:56:10 AM »
Man do I hope they hire her!
We can't do much worse than Kidd. And great PR, a whole new fan base of women. And better tan anything else, she can coach and coach really well.

Sign me up.

What is the going rate for coaches in the NBA? The only pro sports I follow are the Yanks and if my Giants are doing well football. I prefer college basketball over the NBA which is why I asked.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2018, 06:15:56 AM »
as warrior and goose stated this well in the "nm" thread-this ain't the time for a social experiment or to make a decision on a head coach based on what the "big chatter" is about.  if the bucks don't take becky, it should be for reasons other than her coaching abilities as most here seem to believe she can and i'm not going to deny that. 

the other thing going on here is IF the bucks do not hire her, watch the main stream castigate the bucks AND milwaukee for being behind the times, misogynist, intolerant, old school, living out of the 60's etc etc

the bucks cannot afford to get this wrong.  the owners cannot use the bucks as their little "play thing"  hobby to have something to do on weekends.  for milwaukee and the nba, and as uncle joe couldn't have put it any better-"this is a big F 'ing deal ya know"
don't...don't don't don't don't

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2018, 06:25:34 AM »
It is a big deal.  And every hire is an experiment.  Sometimes you get Brad  or Kerr.   Sometimes you get a bad fit like Phil in New York, instead of Phil in Chicago or LA.  On paper, you are looking for a candidate with the exact same qualifications as the guy you just fired.

She's a she.   Get over it.   Is it really any more of a gamble than Budenholzer, Casey, Stackhouse?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:11:01 AM by tower912 »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2018, 07:15:47 AM »

Quick summary of the tweet: Read Gasol's comments, she's qualified, this is not a social experiment.

Edit: Not sure if my link is working. Those comments were from Alex Lasry.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:31:50 AM by Lazar's Canadian Bacon Headband »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2018, 07:17:58 AM »
Man, sum of y'all just will neva get it. Have fun dealin' wit life and reality, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2018, 08:26:40 AM »
Man, sum of y'all just will neva get it. Have fun dealin' wit life and reality, aina?
Explain it then.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2018, 08:27:51 AM »
A certain Marquette grad believes Becky Hammon is the real deal and if the Bucks hire her would back it up with a sponsorship.

https://twitter.com/marcuslemonis/status/992585034149195776?s=20

The owners might jump on this to finally get the naming rights done.