collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurant thread (was: Re: 2017 SG LJ Figueroa)  (Read 11421 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: 2017 SG LJ Figueroa
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2015, 08:34:40 PM »
Back in the day this was a great joint

Oysters by the dozen and Anchor Steam on Fridays after work.

ShootinOutWallsofHeartach

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
[quote author=The Sultan of Sunshine link=topic=47847.msg736531#msg736531 date=14344616g

I'm a GenXer and this is just an awful post.  Stop painting everyone with a broad brush.

I went to the Berghoff once and will not be back.  Food is too heavy.  There are plenty of places that aren't chains that offer food more to my liking....needs to be lighter and a little spicy.  And I have never been to Panda Express in my life.
[/quote]

My bad. Had a rough day, and when that dude misunderstood me, I went off a bit. Broad Brush was a great, versatile thoroughbred, but it is also no way to paint the world. Its a boring time of year on Scoop, so if my off-topic rant stirred the foodie pot a bit, so be it. Feel blessed every time I enjoy a good meal with friends and family, and hope everyone here gets out this summer and savors an outdoor BBQ or two. I'm Croatian (and yes, mega-embarrassed at the recent actions of my soccer countrymen), and if anyone has every tasted Cro-style roast lamb followed by povitica (rich, honey and nut-filled dessert similar to baclava), I'd like to hear a review. I live for that stuff, there's nothing like lamb cooked on an outdoor spit, served with Vienna bread and a long green onion. A couple beers and a shot of Slivovitz (Croatian plum brandy), and I'm good.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2015, 01:07:01 AM »
Your country needs you, sir.  Your mission - should you decide to accept - is to return to Milwaukee, find Nestor, and get him back to Real Chili to repeat his feat. 

As always, should Nestor fail to finish or to keep down his six bowls of chili, MUScoop will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

Nestor was easily 350 pounds of beer swilling, chili swallowing man. "The Dare" came about like so many challenges - PBR-fueled hubris where audacity reigns and caution has withered.

The Champ threw down six bowls (none of them 'half bowls') of Real Chili in one sitting in less than 30 minutes without breaking a sweat. We knew we were in the presence of greatness...

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
Re: Restaurant thread (was: Re: 2017 SG LJ Figueroa)
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2015, 06:21:10 AM »
I'm Croatian (and yes, mega-embarrassed at the recent actions of my soccer countrymen), and if anyone has every tasted Cro-style roast lamb followed by povitica (rich, honey and nut-filled dessert similar to baclava), I'd like to hear a review. I live for that stuff, there's nothing like lamb cooked on an outdoor spit, served with Vienna bread and a long green onion. A couple beers and a shot of Slivovitz (Croatian plum brandy), and I'm good.

You just made my mouth water.  Never had it, but I would love to try it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2015, 07:03:41 AM »
A couple beers and a shot of Slivovitz (Croatian plum brandy), and I'm good.

A friend of mine used to get home made plum brandy from her dad (native Croatian) pretty much every time we had any parties. His blend was the perfect mix of flavor with the kick of moonshine. Awesome stuff.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2015, 08:00:11 AM »
A friend of mine used to get home made plum brandy from her dad (native Croatian) pretty much every time we had any parties. His blend was the perfect mix of flavor with the kick of moonshine. Awesome stuff.

Poland has the same plum brandy also called Sliwoitz.

My father-in-law arrives from Poland on Saturday and is guaranteed to bring a few bottles of "Back-yard" vodka with him.   

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
Where y'all go for grain free cuisine?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2015, 09:51:56 AM »
Where y'all go for grain free cuisine?

If someone were looking, I'd recommend Sanford. But expect to spend, that place isn't cheap. Beans & Barley is decent. I know a lot of people that love it, though personally I wouldn't go out of my way.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »
I swear by Barbierre's in Tosa near Hawley and Bluemound.

and don't go without getting their garlic bread

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2015, 10:03:40 AM »
I'm Croatian (and yes, mega-embarrassed at the recent actions of my soccer countrymen), and if anyone has every tasted Cro-style roast lamb followed by povitica (rich, honey and nut-filled dessert similar to baclava), I'd like to hear a review. I live for that stuff, there's nothing like lamb cooked on an outdoor spit, served with Vienna bread and a long green onion. A couple beers and a shot of Slivovitz (Croatian plum brandy), and I'm good.

That's the stuff. My mom's side of the family is Croatian, and there's nothing like the way they prepare lamb. Also love a few cevapi with some bread and green onions. They also get together and make sarma, and I proceed to stuff myself.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2015, 10:14:11 AM »
If someone were looking, I'd recommend Sanford. But expect to spend, that place isn't cheap. Beans & Barley is decent. I know a lot of people that love it, though personally I wouldn't go out of my way.

I second Sanford strongly. I'd put it right up with Next in Chicago (the Not-Alinea Grant Achatz place in the West Loop) but for much cheaper. Still as pricey as you'll hit in Milwaukee probably. It's the best restaurant in the city.

Beans and Barley, eh. It's adequate. Nothing special though.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2015, 10:15:55 AM »
I would also strongly recommend Braise and All Purpose (ap kitchen) in Walker's Point.

If you go to Braise, get the pork buns. MY GOD GET THE PORK BUNS. They were one of the best things I've ever eaten, full stop.

All Purpose is great small plate dining. We got a bottle of wine and just kept ordering plates until we couldn't take it anymore. Didn't have a sub-par bite the whole night.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2015, 03:49:10 PM »
better yet the place owned by a former head chef at Maders, Wegner's St. Martins Inn for German and their fish fry is damn good, Maders is too "institution" for me if that makes sense
You speaketh the truth! Wegner's blow away all of these other dinosaurs and is much cheaper. Reuben soup and pork shank are to die for. This place is totally under the radar. My most recent find is Movida in third/fifth ward -- make their own gin and make one helluva Old Fashioned with Chili syrup. Pretty authentic tapas from Spain.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2015, 07:36:30 PM »
Part of the beauty of Milwaukee...there are many great options ;)

EDIT: And while this thread may be waaaaaaaay off topic, I have to admit, this is probably one of my favorite discussions to have. One question I'd ask...who would people vote for for best pizza in Milwaukee? I haven't been to the new Pizza Man yet, and always felt Shuttle and Zaffiro's were a bit overrated. Due to my job, my standards for pizza have gone way up in the past 5 years. Saturday night pizza is pretty much a holy occasion in the firehouse.

I'm not a pizza guru by any means but the newest place I have tried and liked quite a bit is Riverwest Pizza on Wright and Weil.  I have also been to the new Pizza Man and must say it's probably my favorite pizza in the city that I've tried atm.  Zaffiro's still does it for me but I wouldn't say it's anything exceptional.  Don't know if I've ever had Shuttle earlier than 2am and/or less than 6 hours of drinking. 

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2015, 11:40:13 PM »
Here's one:

Where's the best Portuguese restaurant in Milwaukee?

Stumped ya, eh?
SS Marquette

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2015, 08:58:27 AM »
I've driven by Eddie Martini's literally hundreds of times and have never been able to stop. Have heard it is still very good.

Responding to two of your posts at once.....Eddie Martini's is good, the food especially but it's probably a draw in that respect to Koerpers but I like the ambiance and flair of Koerpers better.

Mad Rooster is awesome, I prefer them to Blue Egg for brunch.....both are very tough to get into though.

Two other restaurant recommendations I would make are:  Maxie's Southern Comfort in Tosa, sneaky good fish fry, great ribs and oysters on the half shelf....not to mention a solid beer and cocktail list.  Crazy Water in the 5th Ward is very good with a lot of eclectic dishes.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2015, 09:16:20 AM »
Big fan of Crazy Water. We are lucky to have a ton of great places in Milwaukee.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2015, 09:20:45 AM »
Big fan of Crazy Water. We are lucky to have a ton of great places in Milwaukee.

Crazy Water was damn good too. Walker's Point is kinda blowing up with great restaurants right now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2015, 01:11:23 PM »
Crazy Water is tasty, but I always felt the price to portion size was a bit askew. Heard good things about Maxie's. Been meaning to try it for awhile.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2015, 01:35:42 PM »
Maxie's Southern Comfort in Tosa, sneaky good fish fry, great ribs and oysters on the half shelf....not to mention a solid beer and cocktail list.

For southern cuisine, I'd take Palomino (Bayview) over Maxie's every night of the week and twice on Sat/Sun (when they are open for brunch).  Maxie's has good food but also gets packed, whereas I've rarely had to wait at Palomino.  There isn't a ton of menu overlap, so maybe I just prefer the options at Palomino.  Maxie's is the place if you're looking for seafood (although Palomino often has specials that incorporate fried catfish and they are awesome). Palomino's fried chicken and sandwiches blow Maxie's out of the water.  Palomino is also an underrated brunch spot IMO.  Can't go wrong with the chicken & waffles, biscuits & gravy, or chicken fried steak.  Beer list isn't extensive, as their specialty is whiskey, but they have good options and rotate the taps frequently.

All things considered, I'd reccommend trying both places if you like comfort food.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2015, 01:42:46 PM »
One question I'd ask...who would people vote for for best pizza in Milwaukee? I haven't been to the new Pizza Man yet, and always felt Shuttle and Zaffiro's were a bit overrated. Due to my job, my standards for pizza have gone way up in the past 5 years. Saturday night pizza is pretty much a holy occasion in the firehouse.

Pizzeria 3301 at the Palermo's Factory in the valley actually has really good wood fired pizzas.  Don't prejudge it based on the frozen stuff at the grocery store or the mediocre product they are pushing at the BC because there is really no comparison.  They do close at 5pm though.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2015, 01:44:22 PM »
For brunch you can't go wrong with Blue's Egg in Tosa.

Another great spot is Honeypie in Bay View.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2015, 01:45:33 PM »
Pizzeria 3301 at the Palermo's Factory in the valley actually has really good wood fired pizzas.  Don't prejudge it based on the frozen stuff at the grocery store or the mediocre product they are pushing at the BC because there is really no comparison.  They do close at 5pm though.

It's a great lunch spot if you work downtown/3rd ward/etc.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

shiloh26

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2015, 02:00:13 PM »
Here's one:

Where's the best Portuguese restaurant in Milwaukee?

Stumped ya, eh?

Movida has some dishes that one would consider to be a fair representation of cuisine of the Iberian peninsula (admittedly more Spanish than Portuguese).

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2015, 02:05:14 PM »
Have you guys ever heard of this place called Real Chili?