[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by Nutty
[Today at 11:20:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Classy, Hey?  (Read 33518 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Classy, Hey?
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 10:43:36 AM »
Apparerently, there was more going on with Kentucky Nation than just slurs and couch fires, a'nia?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 10:49:28 AM »
It was stupid of Harrison to say. If he stays in school, he should face some kind of discipline.

I do like to think, however, that Scoopers of all political leanings recognize the difference between Harrison saying that about Kaminsky vs. a white athlete saying it about a black athlete. If some Scoopers don't recognize that and their outrage is real, there's no hope.

Love,
Registered Independent (leans left on social issues, centrist on fiscal issues)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 11:09:48 AM »
Take a listen and read of Stephen A. Smith's comments about Harrison's comments.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12622577

I will say I agree with him on EVERY point he is making about why it was said, but there in comes the rub.  He "condemns" it, says it shouldn't be said, inappropriate to say it, etc.   Great, seems all of us here can agree to that.....people here saying it was stupid, inappropriate, etc.  We agree?

The problem I have with it is the "boys will be boys", or in his (Smith's) words "young juvenile blacks will be young juvenile blacks" and "that's just the way it is".   So he "condemns" it, then gives a free pass.  Again, if society says this is wrong (he does, many people here do), then why isn't the condemnation much stronger?  Why is a simple "it's just the way it is" allowed as an answer?  If it's wrong, it's wrong.  If it isn't condemned strongly, then it will continue...yes?  Of course it will. 

So as a society we should be deciding what is wrong and what is right.  Not, "well, it's wrong, but it's ok, too because...well because".  That's part of the problem.  That's why things don't change.  My two cents.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2015, 11:12:00 AM »
No, it's completely obvious you don't understand the difference. If you understood the difference, you wouldn't be crying here about double standards  about the reaction to a black person saying that word and a white person saying that word. There is no double standard because the two things are not the same.

I say he said something regrettable and stupid, and immediately apologized for it, both publicly and personally to the person the comment was directed toward.
I also think society would be better off if people didn't try to turn this into a major race issue - which it isn't - by injecting Al Sharpton, Barack Obama and complaining how it's so unfair that they can't drop the 'N' word, too.
Rather, it should be treated it for what it was, a college kid saying something dumb in the heat of the moment.

Sorry Pakuni, it is a double standard.  You said it was regrettable and stupid, so did MU82, so did Stephen A. Smith, so if its wrong its wrong.  Yet there's always a defense with it....it's wrong, but it's ok because its different.  Which is it?  Is it wrong, or is it not wrong?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2015, 11:16:04 AM »
Sorry Pakuni, it is a double standard.  You said it was regrettable and stupid, so did MU82, so did Stephen A. Smith, so if its wrong its wrong.  Yet there's always a defense with it....it's wrong, but it's ok because its different.  Which is it?  Is it wrong, or is it not wrong?

NUANCE!!

GRAY, NOT BLACK AND WHITE!!!

Everything can't be boiled down to "right" and "wrong," as much as you and others might wish that were so.

Now go back to arguing. It seems to be what you do best and enjoy most.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2015, 11:20:13 AM »
NUANCE!!

GRAY, NOT BLACK AND WHITE!!!

Everything can't be boiled down to "right" and "wrong," as much as you and others might wish that were so.

Now go back to arguing. It seems to be what you do best and enjoy most.

Excuses, nuance, but but, depends what is is, zero accountability or personal responsibility, it takes a village to understand, you aren't a female or black or a minority so you can't weigh in as you don't understand, etc, etc

;D

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2015, 11:21:13 AM »

When did I say "it's OK because it's different?"
Stop making stuff up.
Look, if you want to pretend it's the same thing deserving of the same reaction, you're free to do so. I'd prefer to understand context and historical meaning.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2015, 11:35:12 AM »
Excuses, nuance, but but, depends what is is, zero accountability or personal responsibility, it takes a village to understand, you aren't a female or black or a minority so you can't weigh in as you don't understand, etc, etc

;D

Well said. Because you don't understand!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2015, 11:47:30 AM »
When did I say "it's OK because it's different?"
Stop making stuff up.
Look, if you want to pretend it's the same thing deserving of the same reaction, you're free to do so. I'd prefer to understand context and historical meaning.

Should it be condemned and punished?  Simple question?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2015, 11:48:01 AM »
Well said. Because you don't understand!

Of course not, I'm someone that takes personal responsibility for things.  I don't understand people that don't.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2015, 11:56:42 AM »
It's pure and simply outrageous. Where is Rev. Jackson and Al Sharpton? Civil rights are civil rights, hey? As for our president, he has the opportunity to unify race relations in this country like no one has been able in the past. This remains a missed mark on his legacy.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Warriorfish

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2015, 11:58:14 AM »
So, is "ni**a" allowed to be said by anyone?  There are a lot of whites that love to sound black and use that word.

Would it be a bigger deal if Harrison had said the "ni**er" pronunciation?

The spinning and twisting in knots to excuse this is amazing.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »
So, is "ni**a" allowed to be said by anyone?  There are a lot of whites that love to sound black and use that word.

Would it be a bigger deal if Harrison had said the "ni**er" pronunciation?

The spinning and twisting in knots to excuse this is amazing.

What do black people sound like?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2015, 12:14:26 PM »
Should it be condemned and punished?  Simple question?

What do you mean by condemned?
Is saying it was stupid, inappropriate and deserving of an apology condemnation enough? It is for me.
Punished? How so? Run some extra laps after practice? 50 pushups? OK, sure.
What more do you want? Expelled from school? A public flogging?

Let's keep this in perspective. When Riley Cooper did the same thing in a much more egregious manner - for reasons which I hope are obvious - he wasn't suspended from a single game or practice by either the Eagles or the NFL. Was that fair?
Where was your call for condemnation and outrage then?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2015, 12:16:48 PM »
It's pure and simply outrageous. Where is Rev. Jackson and Al Sharpton? Civil rights are civil rights, hey? As for our president, he has the opportunity to unify race relations in this country like no one has been able in the past. This remains a missed mark on his legacy.

Whose civil rights were violated here?
And, as many already have pointed out, the guy who proudly displays an insulting racial caricature probably ought not be the one giving lectures on race relations.
Ai'na?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2015, 12:21:56 PM »

Keep beating that drum...  ::)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2015, 12:35:02 PM »

You simply don't understand.....don't try and rationalize it.  You aren't black, your opinion on the matter isn't needed.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2015, 12:40:20 PM »
What do you mean by condemned?
Is saying it was stupid, inappropriate and deserving of an apology condemnation enough? It is for me.
Punished? How so? Run some extra laps after practice? 50 pushups? OK, sure.
What more do you want? Expelled from school? A public flogging?

Let's keep this in perspective. When Riley Cooper did the same thing in a much more egregious manner - for reasons which I hope are obvious - he wasn't suspended from a single game or practice by either the Eagles or the NFL. Was that fair?
Where was your call for condemnation and outrage then?

I love the "you didn't say anything about X,Y,Z" defense.  Cool, will use that one moving forward with all of your comments on the political board.  I'll even source this thread so you know where it's coming from.

If people are saying it is stupid, unnecessary, a slur, wrong, etc do you not also find it odd that in the very next sentence there is a huge BUT with an excuse coming words later?   That's not a condemnation. 

4ever is right....here's a chance for people to stand up together and truly say ALL of it is wrong, needs to stop.  Tell you what, I'll get on the ban Redskins bandwagon immediately when it happens.  But as long as there is a huge BUT and endless excuses and mild "it's wrong, BUT..." then this crap will continue on and on and on. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2015, 12:48:37 PM »
I love the "you didn't say anything about X,Y,Z" defense.  Cool, will use that one moving forward with all of your comments on the political board.  I'll even source this thread so you know where it's coming from.

If people are saying it is stupid, unnecessary, a slur, wrong, etc do you not also find it odd that in the very next sentence there is a huge BUT with an excuse coming words later?   That's not a condemnation. 

4ever is right....here's a chance for people to stand up together and truly say ALL of it is wrong, needs to stop.  Tell you what, I'll get on the ban Redskins bandwagon immediately when it happens.  But as long as there is a huge BUT and endless excuses and mild "it's wrong, BUT..." then this crap will continue on and on and on. 

This is what's so frustrating about you, Chico's. You out-and-out make stuff up. Constantly. You're disingenuous.
Not one person here has argued that what Harrison said is OK. Not one.

In the meantime, you continue to demand condemnation and punishment, without saying what you consider appropriate condemnation and punishment is.

But thanks for bringing up Washington. Reminds us all that you'll vehemently defend the right of a billion dollar corporation to use and profit off a racial slur, while demanding condemnation and punishment for a college kid who mutters a slur under his breath.

brandx

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2015, 12:52:25 PM »
This is what's so frustrating about you, Chico's. You out-and-out make stuff up. Constantly. You're disingenuous.

In the meantime, you continue to demand condemnation and punishment, without saying what you consider appropriate condemnation and punishment is.

But thanks for bringing up Washington. Reminds us all that you'll vehemently defend the right of a billion dollar corporation to use and profit off a racial slur, while demanding condemnation and punishment for a college kid who mutters a slur under his breath.

Of course he should be punished. He's a black guy who said something.

Wow - some people just don't get it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2015, 12:55:15 PM »
What do black people sound like?

Harry Reid answered that question in 2008....and then a little over 2 years later apologized for it.  That's the only reference point I have for your question.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »

FWIW, I personally don't think it's a big deal.  At worst, it's unprofessional.  The kid was frustrated because he just lost the game, cut him some slack.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2015, 01:11:13 PM »
FWIW, I personally don't think it's a big deal.  At worst, it's unprofessional.  The kid was frustrated because he just lost the game, cut him some slack.

It was a stupid thing to say that deserved (and got) an apology, agreed?
Not OK, but also not outrageous.
But some here are demanding public condemnation, punishment and the involvement of Al Sharpton. Because only then can we hope to improve race relations, or something.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2015, 01:14:11 PM »

I beg to differ.  You're trying to have it both ways, just like Stephen A. Smith.  Condemnation....BUT.   What he said was stupid....BUT.    What he did was wrong....BUT.

Seems to be a lot of BUTS, a lot of excuses.  So while you claim to say that no one is saying what Harrison did was ok, you come around like others to justify why he did it.  And others flat out say you just don't understand the "differences".  Those are excuses, you're trying to have it both ways.

So I beg to differ, I'm not making anything up.  You condemn, then excuse.  You rationalize.  Others say it isn't black and white, you just wouldn't understand.  Always an excuse, always a justification.  Therefore, sorry, it's not a condemnation as much as you want it to be.

brandx

« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2015, 01:19:06 PM »
I beg to differ.  You're trying to have it both ways, just like Stephen A. Smith.  Condemnation....BUT.   What he said was stupid....BUT.    What he did was wrong....BUT.

Seems to be a lot of BUTS, a lot of excuses.  So while you claim to say that no one is saying what Harrison did was ok, you come around like others to justify why he did it.  And others flat out say you just don't understand the "differences".  Those are excuses, you're trying to have it both ways.

So I beg to differ, I'm not making anything up.  You condemn, then excuse.  You rationalize.  Others say it isn't black and white, you just wouldn't understand.  Always an excuse, always a justification.  Therefore, sorry, it's not a condemnation as much as you want it to be.

Knock it off, Pakuni!!

You're trying to have it both ways like that other black guy. Like black people always do.

feedback