[Today at 05:37:28 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Search for New President  (Read 20911 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Search for New President
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2014, 01:27:45 PM »
I dont think there was string pulling there are complex rules for expansion that I dont know but I think that if the IFC didnt open up for expansion voluntarily then Walker would have played a far bigger role.

Walker isn't going to invest political capital in trying to get a private university to expand its greek system.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2014, 10:46:07 PM »
I dont think there was string pulling there are complex rules for expansion that I dont know but I think that if the IFC didnt open up for expansion voluntarily then Walker would have played a far bigger role.

you're high.

When Kappa Sigma came on to campus 10-15 years ago, it was all student gov't types.  don't know if that's still the case.  but those are the kids that are connected with the admin and are considered "safe" vs the rest of the d-bags like ZFB and his ilk.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2014, 04:06:15 PM »
According to today's University news briefs:

To date, more than 1,200 individuals have been recommended or nominated, expressed interest, or were targeted as potential candidates.
Ludum habemus.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2014, 11:42:47 AM »
1200? Blah, blah, blah.  Fr. Jim McDermott, S.J., '91 is the only one MU should be looking at.

While I am fraudulently putting words in his mouth, he will be absolutely committed to bringing back the Warrior name.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2014, 12:04:08 PM »
According to today's University news briefs:

To date, more than 1,200 individuals have been recommended or nominated, expressed interest, or were targeted as potential candidates.

Who's running the search, Phil Emery?

Thank you, thank you...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2014, 01:40:51 PM »
1200? Blah, blah, blah.  Fr. Jim McDermott, S.J., '91 is the only one MU should be looking at.

While I am fraudulently putting words in his mouth, he will be absolutely committed to bringing back the Warrior name.

I'm glad you said it....I saw that 1200 the other day and just started shaking my head.  My hope is that this was just MU putting a number out there to show how many people are wanting to lead the university and find it a special place.  If this is a serious list, my head is going to explode....which is why it can't be a serious list. 

I have to assume they have a list of 25 to 40 people they started with and will due their homework on....maybe much less than that number.  Come up with their 5 to 7 that make the cut, put those to the board, do their interviews, white smoke comes out of the chimney and we're done.

1,200....smh

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »
Well, I did submit Scoop's user list for consideration. 

Removing all the China spam accounts, we're riiiiiight at 1200.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2014, 03:09:52 PM »
Well, I did submit Scoop's user list for consideration. 

Removing all the China spam accounts, we're riiiiiight at 1200.

I wondered how they got my name.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2014, 03:17:53 PM »

I'm glad you said it....I saw that 1200 the other day and just started shaking my head.  My hope is that this was just MU putting a number out there to show how many people are wanting to lead the university and find it a special place.  If this is a serious list, my head is going to explode....which is why it can't be a serious list. 

I have to assume they have a list of 25 to 40 people they started with and will due their homework on....maybe much less than that number.  Come up with their 5 to 7 that make the cut, put those to the board, do their interviews, white smoke comes out of the chimney and we're done.

1,200....smh

They've hired Witt/Kieffer to run the search.

I have no experience with them specifically, but this is why you hire a search firm.  They will go through every single name, send out an email to that individual about the position.  Most of those people won't bother to apply.  But any applicant will reviewed by the firm.  Eventually they will narrow it down to the 30-50 that they feel are the best candidates, and the search committee will review those applications more in-depth.

Don't read too much into the 1200 figure.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2014, 07:39:35 AM »

I'd back that.  He was my next door neighbor freshman year.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2014, 09:29:47 AM »
Does McDermott have any administration experience?

We could all list 3 or 4 Jesuits we love, but I doubt MU is gonna go with anyone who isn't already a university president or at least someone very high up in university administration.

On another thread I did float Daniel Hendrickson SJ, who is an Associate Vice President, and a professor in the College of Education, but I think he might be too inexperienced yet. He's only been in administration for two years. But I do like the idea of promoting someone from within, who already knows MU's character.

Interestingly, Hendrickson is also MU's Title IX Coordinator.  
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:38:00 AM by Bleuteaux »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2014, 10:29:09 AM »
Does McDermott have any administration experience?

We could all list 3 or 4 Jesuits we love, but I doubt MU is gonna go with anyone who isn't already a university president or at least someone very high up in university administration.

On another thread I did float Daniel Hendrickson SJ, who is an Associate Vice President, and a professor in the College of Education, but I think he might be too inexperienced yet. He's only been in administration for two years. But I do like the idea of promoting someone from within, who already knows MU's character.

Interestingly, Hendrickson is also MU's Title IX Coordinator.  

MU just got a anonymous $10 million donation.  Not coincidentally it came right after Pillarz left and Wild returned.

Do any of the above have experience in talking to the type of people that give these types of donations.  Do they have any experience in getting these types of donations.  Do you have any reason to believe they know how to smooze people worth a few hundred million or more?  Wild certainly can do this, and he proved it again.  Problem is he is too old.

Sorry to say this is a critical part of the President's job.  Operational competence is what the people immediately under the President need to have.  I think the names above are better considered as Deans of colleges and/or Provost, not President.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 11:01:11 AM »
MU just got a anonymous $10 million donation.  Not coincidentally it came right after Pillarz left and Wild returned.

Do any of the above have experience in talking to the type of people that give these types of donations.  Do they have any experience in getting these types of donations.  Do you have any reason to believe they know how to smooze people worth a few hundred million or more?  Wild certainly can do this, and he proved it again.  Problem is he is too old.

Sorry to say this is a critical part of the President's job.  Operational competence is what the people immediately under the President need to have.  I think the names above are better considered as Deans of colleges and/or Provost, not President.

Not many people are going to come in with this experience, but they need to have the ability to relate to people, speak with passion about the vision of the institution and where philanthropy fits into that vision. 

I mean, Pilarz had experience with that at Scranton, and it didn't do him any good once he got here.  I doubt someone like Fr. Raynor had any experience with that prior to MU, and he raised money like Wild did.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 11:08:54 AM »

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2014, 11:15:48 AM »
MU just got a anonymous $10 million donation.  Not coincidentally it came right after Pillarz left and Wild returned.

Do any of the above have experience in talking to the type of people that give these types of donations.  Do they have any experience in getting these types of donations.  Do you have any reason to believe they know how to smooze people worth a few hundred million or more?  Wild certainly can do this, and he proved it again.  Problem is he is too old.

Sorry to say this is a critical part of the President's job.  Operational competence is what the people immediately under the President need to have.  I think the names above are better considered as Deans of colleges and/or Provost, not President.

I hear what you are saying. I think that's especially true at non-Jesuit universities. But I think Marquette is looking for more than fundraiser-in-chief.

The person must be a good fundraiser, but also exemplify Jesuit values. You will never get a politician simply because they are a good fundraiser at Marquette. The President needs to be more than that.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2014, 11:28:53 AM »
I hear what you are saying. I think that's especially true at non-Jesuit universities. But I think Marquette is looking for more than fundraiser-in-chief.

The person must be a good fundraiser, but also exemplify Jesuit values. You will never get a politician simply because they are a good fundraiser at Marquette. The President needs to be more than that.

Let's remember what happened.  

In May MU issued a "vision" for the university.  That includes raising the University profile and its US News ranking.  
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=38621.0

Soon after that Pillarz is shown the door.  

Point is the job description of University President changed last May.  That's why Pillarz is gone.  The new job is about raising the profile of the school.  That starts with raising a lot of money!

Test ... The New President has to be capable of Getting Marcus Lemonis to write a big enough check to name the b-school after him (I'll guess that should be in the $20 million range).  No doubt Wild can.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Marcus_Lemonis?o=2800&qsrc=999&ad=doubleDown&an=apn&ap=ask.com

Side note, the new B-School Dean needs to be able to so the same.  I think Epli (acting dean) can.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2014, 01:47:10 PM »

Could be a result of the change, but could also have been in the works for a long time, as well.  Announcements like these are usually done for strategic reasons also.  Helps to kick start others, etc. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2014, 01:55:56 PM »
Could be a result of the change, but could also have been in the works for a long time, as well.  Announcements like these are usually done for strategic reasons also.  Helps to kick start others, etc. 

One thing we do know - the $10,000,000 man didn't rip up his check in protest when Pilarz was released and Wild returned. I connect the dots and guess Fr Wild's return helped with this.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2014, 02:03:19 PM »
One thing we do know - the $10,000,000 man didn't rip up his check in protest when Pilarz was released and Wild returned. I connect the dots and guess Fr Wild's return helped with this.

Correct, though I would hope anyone making that kind of contribution is doing it for the school and tax benefits, not based on who is the President.  But, for some people, it matters absolutely.

My experience with friends who work in advancement (MU, UCLA, IU, OSU, etc) is that these big ones often take many months (years) of cultivating and planning.  How the donation works, how the tax implications are handled, etc, just take a long time.  But no question you are right in that some folks who is running the show it is a critical part of the process.  Depends ultimately on the donor, what the donation is for, etc.  My most recent example is at UCLA where they are building a new practice facility.  Friend is working with a well heeled booster that will donation $5M plus.  Donor is doing it 100% because of Jim Mora and that relationship and the AD, President, etc are essentially just bystanders. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2014, 02:27:25 PM »
MU just got a anonymous $10 million donation.  

By the way, was this earmarked for anything? Or just a general donation?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2014, 02:32:45 PM »
Nvm...google just answered my question.

Awesome that JP Donnelly, SJ made the picture...

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/marquette-university-gets-anonymous-10-million-gift-b99192370z1-242228701.html

Odds that Wild has a building named after him within 20 years? I gotta think its >90% chance
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:36:39 PM by Bleuteaux »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »

http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/marquette-university-gets-anonymous-10-million-gift-b99192370z1-242228701.html

Odds that Wild has a building named after him within 20 years? I gotta think its >90% chance

Yes the Jesuit residence.  Just waiting for him to retire again (this is my guess, no inside info)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2014, 05:46:25 PM »

Wow, I would not have recognized him had you not identified him. Where have the years gone?

The most striking thing about that photo is the complete lack of young Jesuits. This is a problem throughout the Church and is crippling Diocesan operations. I really do think the Church needs to sort out its position on a number of issues that are inhibiting the recruitment and retention of clergy and abbesses.

The Church of England liturgy is identical to the Roman Catholic Church and many RC parishes now have married CE vicars providing divine services and sacraments through an ecumenical agreement between The Vatican and Canterbury. I think RC needs to accept certain realities if it is to remain viable as a contributing service entity at the community level.

I am CE but attend RC Mass almost as often as I do the Anglican service. Fact is, the exercise of faith is the same but the CE has far less personnel strain as the allowance for married clergy opens up the aperture to many who might otherwise not elect to serve in that way. I have been to many Episcopal services where the vicar was a she and that never bothered me in the least. I wonder if The Vatican under the new Pontiff is ready to come to terms with a critical manpower problem? It is bloody difficult to fight a war without platoon leaders.

Death on call

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2014, 08:28:06 PM »

The Wild Building would seem to be a perfect name for one of the new Frat houses.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »
Wow, I would not have recognized him had you not identified him. Where have the years gone?

The most striking thing about that photo is the complete lack of young Jesuits. This is a problem throughout the Church and is crippling Diocesan operations. I really do think the Church needs to sort out its position on a number of issues that are inhibiting the recruitment and retention of clergy and abbesses.

The Church of England liturgy is identical to the Roman Catholic Church and many RC parishes now have married CE vicars providing divine services and sacraments through an ecumenical agreement between The Vatican and Canterbury. I think RC needs to accept certain realities if it is to remain viable as a contributing service entity at the community level.

I am CE but attend RC Mass almost as often as I do the Anglican service. Fact is, the exercise of faith is the same but the CE has far less personnel strain as the allowance for married clergy opens up the aperture to many who might otherwise not elect to serve in that way. I have been to many Episcopal services where the vicar was a she and that never bothered me in the least. I wonder if The Vatican under the new Pontiff is ready to come to terms with a critical manpower problem? It is bloody difficult to fight a war without platoon leaders.

Agree with everything you say but women priests just won't happen in our lifetime. The Vatican moves at a snails pace. That said I think married priests are not only possible but likely, due to the dwindling numbers as you said.

Unfortunately a married diocesan priesthood would completely bury religious orders such as the Jesuits, along with all other orders that require celibacy would eventually die out.

feedback