collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Have to think the Packers loved that Philly comeback  (Read 6076 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Have to think the Packers loved that Philly comeback
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 11:15:19 PM »
I don't dismiss that he has built a solid foundation.   I start with the premise that McCarthy is a great offensive coach.  He does a lot with not that great of parts.  

TT hasn't given him a great o line, the rb was average, and the receivers are good but not great, yet continually Mccarthy develops top 10 offenses.  I believe he has made Aaron Rodgers and heck even Matt Flynn look good in his system and through his coaching.

If you get a GM who knows how to draft solidly AND utilize free agency like a Ron Wolf this could be a super bowl team.  I believe McCarthy is as good an offensive mind as Holmgrem.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 11:20:49 PM »
I don't dismiss that he has built a solid foundation.   I start with the premise that McCarthy is a great offensive coach.  He does a lot with not that great of parts.  

TT hasn't given him a great o line, the rb was average, and the receivers are good but not great, yet continually Mccarthy develops top 10 offenses.  I believe he has made Aaron Rodgers and heck even Matt Flynn look good in his system and through his coaching.

If you get a GM who knows how to draft solidly AND utilize free agency like a Ron Wolf this could be a super bowl team.  I believe McCarthy is as good an offensive mind as Holmgrem.

This team is a Super Bowl team, when healthy.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 06:40:33 AM »

I agree he really should just concentrate on play calling. Not sure he is a true head coach.  But maybe, time will tell.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 07:56:19 AM »

I would agree that the line is a problem, but the RB situation is fine and the receivers are more than good.  You have a healthy Finley and this passing attack is one of the best in football.  And the defense is phenominal.  They started someone at linebacker whom I never heard of last night, and were down to our third string safeties.

I do agree that an occasional impact free agent would be a good thing.  (See what Woodson has done.)  Wolf wasn't a big free agency guy, but when he did it, it generally worked.  But I agree...Thompson is just fine.  I actually wish McCarthy wouldn't call plays, but he's doing fine too.

The record in close games is a problem, but I can't put my finger on it.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 08:50:52 AM »

The record in close games is a problem, but I can't put my finger on it.

I don't know why its a problem. I think you could turn it around and say that its a positive, that they are hanging in and giving themselves a chance to win in games which they otherwise might get beaten badly, especially when you consider that all but one of the close loses this year came on the raod. Three of those 5 against playoff teams.

The return game on both sides, is the biggest and most consistent issue I see. They lost again last night in a game they probably would have won, due to a completely unacceptable kick return by the Patriots.

For them to have the year they're having, especially defensively in light of all the injuries they've suffered is pretty remarkable. It seems to be catching up with them a bit more in the last couple weeks, but certainly somebody is doing something right.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 08:56:27 AM »
Are you dudes cheering for the Vikings tonight?  It's OK, Favre isn't playing.

I hope things run well at The Bank tonight.. it's an incredible facility, but not sure how it's going to look on Monday night football... Joe Webb for 150 and 100 tonight
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 08:58:03 AM »
Are you dudes cheering for the Vikings tonight?  It's OK, Favre isn't playing.

Call it rooting for the (consensus) underdog.  Or you could say it is less cheering for the Queens to win and more for the Bears to lose.   ;) 
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.