[Today at 04:43:45 PM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by tower912
[Today at 01:46:14 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 01:20:38 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Crean cleaning up  (Read 24318 times)

HoopsMalone

• All American
Crean cleaning up
« on: October 31, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »
Crean lands a nice one in Hanner Perea:  http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Hanner-Perea-96521

He has a nice class for 2012:  http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/98245

He is like clockwork every three or four years.

He can now point to the future when his team continues to struggle for the next year or two.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Crean cleaning up
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 10:46:06 PM »
My hunch is you will see him land many more consistent classes at IU then at MU for all the obvious reasons.

Maybe the idiocy by some people saying he would be fired after this year or the next will finally end.  Fred Glass and the President (Mcrobbie) have a long term plan as I've stated many times....Crean is very much part of that plan.  He isn't going anywhere.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 07:28:01 PM »
Maybe the idiocy by some people saying he would be fired after this year or the next will finally end.  Fred Glass and the President (Mcrobbie) have a long term plan as I've stated many times....Crean is very much part of that plan.  He isn't going anywhere.

I will not back down from my idiocy.  Speaking of which exactly two years, or 731 days for you to realize it wasn't idiocy :)

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=15620.50

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:28:23 PM »
My hunch is you will see him land many more consistent classes at IU then at MU for all the obvious reasons.

If he turns in a couple more sub-.500 seasons he's going to be shown the door.  If he finally starts landing the kind of recruits he should (It's Indiana) but they still suck what else can you expect?  Not saying this will happen, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it did.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »

Yeah - well at Marquette Crean hired the Jerry Sichting's of the world and gave his kid a walk on role...but he finally figured it out at IU to where:  Hey if I hire your son (Mr. Head Coach of the Indiana Elite AAU Team), will you help funnel players my way?  As a bonus, I'll give a walk on slot to your one of your Board of Director's sons too.

Ironic that 8 of Crean's recruits have come from this same AAU program. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:36:10 PM »
Yeah - well at Marquette Crean hired the Jerry Sichting's of the world and gave his kid a walk on role...but he finally figured it out at IU to where:  Hey if I hire your son (Mr. Head Coach of the Indiana Elite AAU Team), will you help funnel players my way?  As a bonus, I'll give a walk on slot to your one of your Board of Director's sons too.

Ironic that 8 of Crean's recruits have come from this same AAU program.  

Very ironic, especially considering that Elite has been sending players to IU for many years prior to Crean, it's just that now they have a reason where more want to go there.  Must be the Dwyane Wade videos.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:51:52 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Ron Paul

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 10:48:21 PM »
It was only a matter of time before Crean started picking up big time recruiting classes.  The Sampson days are well behind IU and they do have great history there.  C'mon, it's Indiana, its Indiana.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 10:44:24 AM »

Very ironic, especially considering that Elite has been sending players to IU for many years prior to Crean, it's just that now they have a reason where more want to go there.  Must be the Dwyane Wade videos.

Chicos -- If Buzz Williams hired an AAU coach as one of our assistants and then started a pipeline from that program to MU you'd have coronary.

The odds are that these guys will transfer out of IU anyway.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 09:34:14 AM »
One of our assistants...yes.   As the video coordinator, no

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 09:36:40 AM »
I will not back down from my idiocy.  Speaking of which exactly two years, or 731 days for you to realize it wasn't idiocy :)

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=15620.50

Idiocy then and idiocy still today....that's why I took the bet.  Taking candy from a baby.   ;D   

Go Buck!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 01:28:16 AM »
Idiocy then and idiocy still today....that's why I took the bet.  Taking candy from a baby.   ;D   

Translation...timing is everything and hatred blinds reality.

Timing is everything and love blinds reality.  Crean won't be around to coach this class (half of which won't be there even if he does make it that far).  Don't worry though, I know I could lose the bet.  I just don't think it's likely (such is what happens when people make 10 year plans - they don't go as planned - hah).

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 05:49:44 AM »
Crean is definitely cleaning uo with the class of 2012--he has two committments from the ESPN list.

I checked the top 60 there, we are only being considered by one player of ESPN's Supre 60. I won't say we need results--I'll just say I wish we were in and getting some of these guys.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 10:16:47 PM »
Balanced write-up by Eamonn on our friend...sounds like the natives (long time fans and former players) are more restless about this year:

"To be honest with you, I wish Coach [Bob] Knight was still there," said Tom Abernethy, a member of Indiana's legendary 1975-76 national championship team, which went 32-0 on its way to the title under Knight. "That may not be the best answer, but I guess that's just how I see it." ...

Crean's vocal understanding of that problem is one of the reasons that, despite his 16-46 record at Indiana, there is an unmistakable energy surrounding his tenure. It's hard to talk to a former player -- even those who wish Knight was still roaming the sidelines -- without hearing mostly positive things on Crean and his tenure to date.

Tom Crean has made a connection with IU fans, but winning has to come next -- and soon.  Some fans lost the faith last season, when Crean was struggling on two fronts -- the Hoosiers were in the midst of an 11-game Big Ten losing streak, a stretch that included eight losses of 15 points or more, just as it was becoming clear that Crean's 2010 recruiting class would not match the top-10-level talent he landed in 2009. The die-hards became restless, as they are wont to do. But most have come back off the ledge.

"He started with almost nothing, and fans understand that," said Gillenwater Jr. "I think this year is the year you want to see him get to about 75 percent of what the program can be. Fans won't wait around forever. We're going to want a nice jump in wins from Year 2 to Year 3. But we are happy with the foundation he's building, and no reasonable fan would expect them to already be fully back in two years."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5766764

LCDutchman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 01:19:25 PM »
Crean will be gone by year end.  He will be selling the new clean diesel Mercedes and Chicos will wash them before the sale.
In heaven Marquette always beats Wisconsin

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 05:52:12 PM »
Crean will be gone by year end.  He will be selling the new clean diesel Mercedes and Chicos will wash them before the sale.

You still owe on the bet for Notre Dame.  Why haven't you paid that off yet?

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 05:57:21 PM »
Chicos -- If Buzz Williams hired an AAU coach as one of our assistants and then started a pipeline from that program to MU you'd have coronary.

One of our assistants...yes.   As the video coordinator, no

Even thought it was 2 weeks ago, I just noticed this.

Really Chicos? You would squirm more if Buzz did something legal (hire the AAU coach as an assistant) than if he did something that was illegal (hire teh AAU coach as the video coordinator).

Doesnt make a much sense...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 06:16:35 PM by GOMU1104 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 07:26:51 PM »

Even thought it was 2 weeks ago, I just noticed this.

Really Chicos? You would squirm more if Buzz did something legal (hire the AAU coach as an assistant) than if he did something that was illegal (hire teh AAU coach as the video coordinator).

Doesnt make a much sense...

Help explain to me how hiring him as the video coordinator is illegal? 

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-juco072310

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »
Help explain to me how hiring him as the video coordinator is illegal?  

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-juco072310

I used "illegal" wrong in this instance, my mistake.

It is legal to hire whoever you want as video coordinator, however (as the article explains) you are prohibited from recruiting anyone associated with that person for 2 years. (I actually think the rule is 2 years after the person moves on from that position...could be wrong though).

It is perfectly legal to hire anyone you want as a full-time assistant, however you are only allowed 3 of those people on your staff.  You can then go on to continue to recruit anyone that may be associated with that coach.

So would you squirm more if MU did what they are prohibited from doing, or something that is perfectly legal?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 12:44:30 PM »
I used "illegal" wrong in this instance, my mistake.

It is legal to hire whoever you want as video coordinator, however (as the article explains) you are prohibited from recruiting anyone associated with that person for 2 years. (I actually think the rule is 2 years after the person moves on from that position...could be wrong though).

It is perfectly legal to hire anyone you want as a full-time assistant, however you are only allowed 3 of those people on your staff.  You can then go on to continue to recruit anyone that may be associated with that coach.

So would you squirm more if MU did what they are prohibited from doing, or something that is perfectly legal?

Yes, I would squirm much more if we started acting like Kentucky, Louisville, etc and hired a parent, AAU coach, etc to be on the bench, coaching, recruiting then hiring someone to be in a back office as the video coordinator.  Absolutely.  Not even a close discussion IMO.  No one is going to be attending a school because of the video coordinator.  That's quite a different story for someone that is 18 inches away on the bench from the head coach and can get in his ear, persuade playing time, etc.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 05:07:50 PM »
Yes, I would squirm much more if we started acting like Kentucky, Louisville, etc and hired a parent, AAU coach, etc to be on the bench, coaching, recruiting then hiring someone to be in a back office as the video coordinator.  Absolutely.  Not even a close discussion IMO.  No one is going to be attending a school because of the video coordinator.  That's quite a different story for someone that is 18 inches away on the bench from the head coach and can get in his ear, persuade playing time, etc.

Am I reading correctly...you would rather have MU cheat than do something legal?

First...its not a matter of the player being comfortable with the video coordinator ("Man I really like the way he cuts up the video"). It was simply just another way to funnel money to the people around the player. And yes, it happened before the rule was changed, so dont say "no one goes to school for the..."

Second...lets play "blind resume" for a second. Would you have a problem if MU made this legal hire, if it meant landing a Top 40 player?:

-Alum of the school
-Graduate Assistant for a team that went to the Final Four
-13 years at the JUCO level at one school (several conference titles, NJCAA tournament success, placing many players at the D1 level and coaching future pros)

Doing something LEGAL like this would make you squirm more than hiring some clown for a non-staff position, or giving jobs/walkon spots to those connected to a prominent AAU program?

Again...programs are only allowed 3 full time assistants. Head coaches most likely arent going to waste one of those 3 spots on some clown that has only coached 15U AAU squads.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 10:34:48 PM »
No, you are not reading that correctly.  IU didn't do anything illegal, didn't cheat with this hiring.  If MU were to do the same thing and put the AAU coach as a video coordinator, I would have no issue with it.

Where you get something was illegal or cheating with what occurred?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 10:42:40 PM »
No, you are not reading that correctly.  IU didn't do anything illegal, didn't cheat with this hiring.  If MU were to do the same thing and put the AAU coach as a video coordinator, I would have no issue with it.

So, do you really think that the son of the Indiana Elite coach is/was the most qualifed video coordinator on the market?  Also, think that the walk on who is the son of the Board of Directors of Indiana Elite was the best player available?  No quid pro quo's here Chicos?  No scratch my back, I'll scratch yours?  You really don't think the coach of an AAU program, or a member of an AAU programs board of directors has any influence on where a kid plays college ball?? 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »

Wow. Here I thought you were about doing the right thing, and trying to avoid all squirm-related moves.

Would you have a problem hiring the coach I outlined...something that the NCAA permits.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 04:15:36 PM »
So, do you really think that the son of the Indiana Elite coach is/was the most qualifed video coordinator on the market?  Also, think that the walk on who is the son of the Board of Directors of Indiana Elite was the best player available?  No quid pro quo's here Chicos?  No scratch my back, I'll scratch yours?  You really don't think the coach of an AAU program, or a member of an AAU programs board of directors has any influence on where a kid plays college ball?? 

That's kind of funny, especially if you read the article featuring Buzz Williams and what he thinks of the entire rule.  He doesn't like it, feels it doesn't allow propsective coaches from moving up the ladder, etc, etc.

Was he the best or most qualified candidate?  I don't know.  Do you have proof that he wasn't?  Should he have interviewed 500 candidates to make sure he was the best one?  How about 5000?  How about 50,000?   Let's get real here.  It's no different than hiring that I do.  We interview multiple candidates but does that mean we interview 1000's?  No.  It's impractical.  You hire the best qualified candidate you can from the pool of candidates you have.   How do you know who applied for that particular job at IU?  You don't.

Now, I keep reading the word "illegal" on multiple occasions from GOMU1104 and I still have yet to see what was illegal and why is that term being used when it's not illegal....please explain.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 04:32:48 PM »
Am I reading correctly...you would rather have MU cheat than do something legal?

First...its not a matter of the player being comfortable with the video coordinator ("Man I really like the way he cuts up the video"). It was simply just another way to funnel money to the people around the player. And yes, it happened before the rule was changed, so dont say "no one goes to school for the..."

Second...lets play "blind resume" for a second. Would you have a problem if MU made this legal hire, if it meant landing a Top 40 player?:

-Alum of the school
-Graduate Assistant for a team that went to the Final Four
-13 years at the JUCO level at one school (several conference titles, NJCAA tournament success, placing many players at the D1 level and coaching future pros)

Doing something LEGAL like this would make you squirm more than hiring some clown for a non-staff position, or giving jobs/walkon spots to those connected to a prominent AAU program?

Again...programs are only allowed 3 full time assistants. Head coaches most likely arent going to waste one of those 3 spots on some clown that has only coached 15U AAU squads.

Do you know what the Video Coordinator gets paid?   Are you really trying to imply that there is money laundering going on with a video coordinator and his paultry salary?  Please.  Or are you saying there is an additional kickback going on somewhere?

You do realize that the video coordinator position for some universities is actually an hourly position, not even salaried.  For some bigger schools, yes, it's a salaried position but no great shakes.  A friend of mine, his son is a video coordinator for a Pac Ten school in the northwest...salary...$47,000 and that's for FOOTBALL!!

Check out the College Sports Video Association (yes, it actually exists).  UMASS basketball currently has the position open...salary $26,600 to $29,900.   

Again, come on. 

Now, for your what if scenario:  Yeah, I do have a problem with hiring an assistant coach for the purpose of landing specific players.  Package deals as it were.  Especially with the sole purpose of having that guy in that position for only a year or two.  1)  You're paying the guy a 6 figure salary as an assistant (vs the paltry sum a Video Coordinator makes)  2)  The intent is solely to land a top 40 player...that's shady as all get out 

I thought I was pretty clear when I said I wouldn't have a problem with a hiring at a low level position where they aren't making much money, have very little influence on the coach or player vs someone that would be an assistant coach, has strong influence over the coach and will make a lot of money in their own right.

feedback