'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Season Endings  (Read 21288 times)

5DollarPitcher

• All American
Re: Season Endings
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2020, 02:24:53 PM »
Right, and we're discussing Stan, Wardle, D2 and D3 coaches as replacements for Wojo.

So are we discussing hypotheticals about Wojo being fired or...?
You just can’t help but dive into the sludge. PettyWorld ate the trash again.

Argue with me about what my post was actually about. Do you think there’s a run we are about to go on? Do you think we have a real shot at a Final Four? Do you think Wojo can win the Big East tourney and make this all go away?

You know the answer to all those questions and you know your Projoism looks a little foolish at this point. So your best response is diving into the sludge and playing semantics. It’s your best chance at maybe coming out looking “right”.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 02:27:21 PM by 5DollarPitcher »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2020, 02:25:09 PM »
Lol. Dayton would absolutely annihilate us.
They might annihilate us, but I'd rather take my chances against Dayton than one of the other #1 seeds.  Their only win over a tourney team was St. Mary's (ESPN 8 seed).  They also beat Richmond (ESPN first 4 out).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2020, 02:26:21 PM »
Also Wojo being fired at the end of this year is about 100x more likely than us going to a Final Four. They’re both unlikely, agreed.

Hard, hard, hard disagree. A Final Four is far more likely than Wojo being fired. Unless he murders someone on Wisconsin Avenue, he will not be fired. The only way he leaves is if he's hired away.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2020, 02:29:00 PM »
They might annihilate us, but I'd rather take my chances against Dayton than one of the other #1 seeds.  Their only win over a tourney team was St. Mary's (ESPN 8 seed).  They also beat Richmond (ESPN first 4 out).
They took #1 overall Kansas to OT (granted early in the season). If I’m a fan of that team - I have no worries about playing with the big boys. Marquette would not scare me.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2020, 02:33:58 PM »
Hard, hard, hard disagree. A Final Four is far more likely than Wojo being fired. Unless he murders someone on Wisconsin Avenue, he will not be fired. The only way he leaves is if he's hired away.
If I woke up from a coma in 1 month and read the JS sports section front page I would be a lot more surprised by:

“It’s not midnight yet for the Golden Eagles”

than

“Marquette, Wojo part ways”

Maybe that’s just me.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2020, 02:49:30 PM »
If I woke up from a coma in 1 month and read the JS sports section front page I would be a lot more surprised by:

“It’s not midnight yet for the Golden Eagles”

than

“Marquette, Wojo part ways”

Maybe that’s just me.

I think the only way we reach the Final Four is if every other team in our region forfeits due to coronavirus. But I think that's more likely than Marquette firing Wojo.

I don't expect anyone to like it but I think there's zero chance he gets fired. Not with that contract.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2020, 03:03:42 PM »
At this point Im not so sure teams having to forfeit due to corona is that farfetched of an idea.  Gonzaga is toast!!!!!!!!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2020, 03:06:55 PM »
I think the only way we reach the Final Four is if every other team in our region forfeits due to coronavirus. But I think that's more likely than Marquette firing Wojo.

I don't expect anyone to like it but I think there's zero chance he gets fired. Not with that contract.

Homer tweeted the exact same thing and was called a lapdog for the administration.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2020, 03:12:24 PM »
Homer tweeted the exact same thing and was called a lapdog for the administration.

So now Marquette University is paying people to spread the word on MUScoop that Wojo is going nowhere?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2020, 03:12:50 PM »
Homer's Job depends on him being a lapdog, there is no chance hes ever going to have a pessimistic view on any coaching / admin topic. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2020, 03:16:42 PM »
You just can’t help but dive into the sludge. PettyWorld ate the trash again.

Argue with me about what my post was actually about. Do you think there’s a run we are about to go on? Do you think we have a real shot at a Final Four? Do you think Wojo can win the Big East tourney and make this all go away?

You know the answer to all those questions and you know your Projoism looks a little foolish at this point. So your best response is diving into the sludge and playing semantics. It’s your best chance at maybe coming out looking “right”.

I call out inconsistencies.  And you get big mad about it.  Be consistent and it won't be an issue.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2020, 03:27:09 PM »

Not exact. Homer said he wasn't leaving. I didn't say that, I said he wouldn't be fired. If the right escape hatch job is available, I could see him leaving. But I am confident Marquette won't initiate it.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2020, 03:39:34 PM »
I call out inconsistencies.  And you get big mad about it.  Be consistent and it won't be an issue.
Not at all.  You dive into embarrassing (for you) semantic games and refuse to argue the macro points at hand that concern the program (i.e. is Wojo a good coach? Who might be a good replacement if it got to that point? Does Marquette have a run in them still in 2020?).  You haven’t yet addressed any of those points directly to me, which makes your posts objectively bad and unproductive.

The thing is, you used to actually argue the macro points. Now you have no more ammunition.  So rather than own that fact, you try to drag everyone that disagreed with you (and ended up being right!) into these semantic games so that you can eventually come out and say “check it out guys I was right along”.  Even though now we’re arguing about something completely different than the original point being discussed. It was really pretty easy to figure out.

Really sad state of affairs at PettyWorld HQ...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2020, 03:47:34 PM »
So sad. He is absolutely not cutting the mustard at MU. People need to turn the heat up on Wojo, and not the hot steam that you have for him.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2020, 03:50:38 PM »
Not exact. Homer said he wasn't leaving. I didn't say that, I said he wouldn't be fired. If the right escape hatch job is available, I could see him leaving. But I am confident Marquette won't initiate it.
Then it is done. The decision makers at MU jave made a big mistake and have no balls to correct it.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2020, 04:53:22 PM »
So sad. He is absolutely not cutting the mustard at MU. People need to turn the heat up on Wojo, and not the hot steam that you have for him.

It appears the only way the heat gets turned up is if the admin/BOT see the $$$$ head lower.  Until then, they will not care how bad a coach Wojo is and how /goodpoor the results are.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2020, 06:14:59 PM »

I'm out on Wojo and am not sure he can win me back. But just because I'd like to see Marquette go in another direction doesn't mean I can't acknowledge the reality that the only way that happens this off-season is if someone else takes him off our hands.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2020, 06:41:23 PM »
Are there any examples of major conference coaches (P6) that “voluntarily” took a “new opportunity” in a lower tier conference?

Wojo needs to coach the remainder of this season like his career is on the line. Not just for Marquette, but for himself. A strong finish to this year should reopen those soft landing spots like Va Tech, BC, Wake Forest, etc. He has really tied himself in a pretzel these last few years and has no one to blame but himself.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2020, 06:52:09 PM »
Why do so many people think Wojo will bolt?
He was a player that knew the word persistence. 
I know some people are hoping for that, but we will see what he is really made of at the end of the season.
Sorry, I just don't see him as a bolter/quitter like our last three coaches.

f/k/a humanlung

• All American
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2020, 07:01:12 PM »
Why do so many people think Wojo will bolt?
He was a player that knew the word persistence. 
I know some people are hoping for that, but we will see what he is really made of at the end of the season.
Sorry, I just don't see him as a bolter/quitter like our last three coaches.

I'm pretty sure we already know/have already seen over the last six years what he is made of.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2020, 08:07:44 PM »
Wasn't there some evidence of a plane going from Waukesha to Va Tech last spring?  Maybe we can spend our April reviewing similar data and reaching illogical conclusions.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2020, 08:59:08 PM »
So now Marquette University is paying people to spread the word on MUScoop that Wojo is going nowhere?

Actually, they pay MUScoop directly.  We are chicos.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2020, 09:46:44 PM »
Do you guys know how much money Wojo is making? Over 2M, MU is not paying out his contract, Dick Strong is gone, and Wojo is not going to a lesser program. I am excited to see the new recruits next year, we will really see how he can coach. No more 1 man team, nice to see a 5 man team.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2020, 10:35:44 PM »
Spot on. Best comment about the slide I’ve seen yet.

Koby has been tense since December. His shot hasn’t fallen the way it should and he plays tentative. Brendan passed up more open looks at DePaul than did the M/C at the Miss Universe contest.

These guys remind me of a college student who has studied her lights out for an exam but is so wound up she lets her fear get the best of her. She underperforms because she focuses on what she doesn’t know rather than what she knows.

At some point, hopefully this week, Coach Wojo says, “just go out there and have fun. If we get beat by 40, so be it. But let ‘em rip and do things you do best!

“Oh, and Theo... please, please stop dribbling the ball. Just put it in the basket ... take the damn defender through the rim with you if you have to, but don’t dribble!”

I agree with you and ManeCity. We look tight as a drum out there. Once we fall hopelessly behind (see St Johns Saturday) we revert to playing by instinct and look good again. Wojo (IMO) has the team so wound up and afraid of making mistakes that we make them in bunches.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2020, 06:57:23 AM »
I agree with you and ManeCity. We look tight as a drum out there. Once we fall hopelessly behind (see St Johns Saturday) we revert to playing by instinct and look good again. Wojo (IMO) has the team so wound up and afraid of making mistakes that we make them in bunches.

Absolutely agree with this. Players ultimately reflect their coach. True across sports.  Recall Al’s great line about his teams being a reflection of him, obnoxious and arrogant.  MU is weak, soft, and clueless under our fair haired Dukie.