[Today at 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[Today at 06:51:10 PM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by lawdog77
[Today at 05:44:34 PM]

2025 Bracketology by tower912
[Today at 04:14:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Steve Taylor  (Read 3985 times)

schubert33

• Starter
Steve Taylor
« on: December 14, 2013, 04:06:41 PM »
Someone please tell me how this guy can't even get off the bench today?

Really thought this was going to be a break out year for him, and now I will be shocked if he's going to be here next year. 

His development was key for next year.  As it stands now, 2014/2015 will be tough sleding down low.

MUFan42

• Walk-On
Re: Steve Taylor
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 04:07:42 PM »
He's still not healed.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »

Really thought this was going to be a break out year for him, and now I will be shocked if he's going to be here next year. 

His development was key for next year.  As it stands now, 2014/2015 will be tough sleding down low.
Knee made a turn for the worse, not healing properly.
Goal is National Championship

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 04:10:07 PM »
Well, his knee is on the mend, and supposedly medical redshirt is still on the table.   That of course is based off a percentage of games played.   Buzz was going to put him in towards end of game today, but decided to send him back to bench.   Probably wise since it would have been a waste of a "game played" at that point.   Hopefully his recovery goes well... He's a talent, and deserves more than what his body is giving him.

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 04:10:13 PM »
Knee made a turn for the worse, not healing properly.

Thanks!!

WarriorDoc

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 04:10:33 PM »

Shocked if he's going to be here next year?  Complete overreaction.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »
I'll add that in my opinion, I say shut him down, and give Steve an extra year of eligibility.  Would really pay dividends. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 04:28:52 PM »
I'll add that in my opinion, I say shut him down, and give Steve an extra year of eligibility.  Would really pay dividends. 

Only issue is getting the extra year involves convincing the NCAA that shutting him down is a necessity, not a decision.  Not sure if another surgery is on the table, or if they have a doctor's opinion that he needs three months of rest.

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »
Only issue is getting the extra year involves convincing the NCAA that shutting him down is a necessity, not a decision.  Not sure if another surgery is on the table, or if they have a doctor's opinion that he needs three months of rest.

Great point, I forgot about that.  Wish they could just show film of his mobility/confidence from last year vs this year.  Speaks volumes. 

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 05:04:55 PM »
Hope we could give him medical redshirt.  It's clear he is not ready to play now because of the injury.  We could really use him an extra year.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 05:51:37 PM »
He was at the scorer's table at one point to go in and Buzz yanked him back.  He is right a the red shirt point and they don't want to waste it unless healthy.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 08:37:47 PM »
Concur that it's obvious that Buzz has redshirt in his hip pocket for Steve, if appropriate and necessary.  They had an extended conversation when Buzz called Steve back from the scorer's table, likely discussing exactly the 'wasted game' scenario in case the knee doesn't improve.  STjr is a super kid and I believe fully understands, and trusts, his coach.  It'll work out and any suggestion that he'll leave at the end of the year is simply absurd.  Steve has fully immersed himself into Marquette on all levels and I believe he's very happy there with everything except how he knee is acting up.   

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 08:38:58 PM »
Keep him sitting until he is 100% or one of the other forwards go down. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 08:44:08 PM »
And keep dressing him for that 'just in case' scenario, at least until a final decision can be reached.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 09:53:25 PM »
He was at the scorer's table at one point to go in and Buzz yanked him back.  He is right a the red shirt point and they don't want to waste it unless healthy.

It doesn't make much sense to even have thought about putting him in, frankly.

Either he's healthy enough to help the team and play when it counts, or he's hurt and redshirting is a possibility so why would you want to even contemplate playing him in garbage time?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 09:55:29 PM »
Is it possible to even get TWO medical redshirts if, let's say, Steve and Duane could be eligible for them?

Play along here...
SS Marquette

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 10:02:30 PM »
Hope we could give him medical redshirt.  It's clear he is not ready to play now because of the injury.  We could really use him an extra year.

THIS team could use a healthy Steve in January - March. Redshirting him, and therefore eliminating the class of 2016, seems premature at this juncture.  I am still hopeful he will recover yet this season.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

raul

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 12:23:25 AM »
We have plenty of size this year and redshirting Steve would allow us to have a big for the next 3 years. MU needs him healthy next year. Why risk a further injury this year and slow down his full recovery by bringing him up too soon?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 12:25:43 AM »
THIS team could use a healthy Steve in January - March. Redshirting him, and therefore eliminating the class of 2016, seems premature at this juncture.  I am still hopeful he will recover yet this season.

I hope for the same. I know redshirting seems to be convenient for us to discuss, but if I was in his position, it would likely be torture.  I hope he takes the time to heal properly and can be a big help to the team in conference play.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 12:33:52 AM »
It doesn't make much sense to even have thought about putting him in, frankly.

Either he's healthy enough to help the team and play when it counts, or he's hurt and redshirting is a possibility so why would you want to even contemplate playing him in garbage time?

I felt the same.  Either he is healthy enough to contribute (whether now, in a few weeks, or next fall) or he shouldn't even dress.  "Testing" it can be done in practices, and the sometimes unpredictable, out of control nature of garbage time is about the worst place.  Glad he was called back to the bench.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »

I agree completely.  My hope is that the knee comes around.  Yesterday's decision in no way impacts that eventuality.  It simply preserves the option.