[Today at 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[Today at 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[Today at 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[Today at 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable  (Read 29449 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2014, 09:13:43 PM »
" cardiologists writing in the Journal of the American Heart Assn. warned that "clinical evidence ... suggests the potential for serious cardiovascular risks associated with marijuana use."

"There is now compelling evidence on the growing risk of marijuana-associated adverse cardiovascular effects, especially in young people,"

"We think the time has come to stop and think about what is the best way to protect our communities from the potential danger of widespread marijuana use in the absence of safety studies," added Rezkalla, a cardiologist at the Marshfield Clinic in Wisconsin, and Kloner, a cardiologist at USC's Keck School of Medicine. "It is the responsibility of the medical community to determine the safety of the drug before it is widely legalized for recreational use."

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-heart-attack-stroke-marijuana-20140423,0,3208786.story

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »
" cardiologists writing in the Journal of the American Heart Assn. warned that "clinical evidence ... suggests the potential for serious cardiovascular risks associated with marijuana use."

"There is now compelling evidence on the growing risk of marijuana-associated adverse cardiovascular effects, especially in young people,"

"We think the time has come to stop and think about what is the best way to protect our communities from the potential danger of widespread marijuana use in the absence of safety studies," added Rezkalla, a cardiologist at the Marshfield Clinic in Wisconsin, and Kloner, a cardiologist at USC's Keck School of Medicine. "It is the responsibility of the medical community to determine the safety of the drug before it is widely legalized for recreational use."

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-heart-attack-stroke-marijuana-20140423,0,3208786.story

Chicos, are you being serious right now? This is ANOTHER article referencing the same study. Essentially saying the same thing as the ones you already provided based on the French study that was questionable at best. Move on, or at least wait till we get some serious, relevant data on the matter.

This is akin to people freaking out when the vaccines linked to autism study came out.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »
Kind of fun watching the GOP go to bat for the lefties here on this merger.  Heads exploding.  As I said earlier, the current administration is so in bed with the Comcast guys, they are going to let it happen if I had to guess.  So the GOP is the one asking questions about net neutrality, consumer bills, etc.

http://time.com/92251/comcast-time-warner-cable-congress/

brandx

« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »
Kind of fun watching the GOP go to bat for the lefties here on this merger.  Heads exploding.  As I said earlier, the current administration is so in bed with the Comcast guys, they are going to let it happen if I had to guess.  So the GOP is the one asking questions about net neutrality, consumer bills, etc.

You mean the GOP senators on the Judiciary Committee looking at the merger- EVERY one of whom has received money from Comcast.

That GOP?

Or that 4 of the top 5 recipients of Comcast $$$$ are from the GOP?

That GOP?

Or of the congressmen who own Comcast shares - 56% of whom are from the GOP?

That GOP?

Or the two members of Congress who have received the most $$$$ - Boehner and McConnell?

That GOP?

Maybe there is another GOP that I don't know about.

Or, maybe you get your "News" from a dung heap like Newsmax?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2014, 03:18:58 PM »
You mean the GOP senators on the Judiciary Committee looking at the merger- EVERY one of whom has received money from Comcast.

That GOP?

That GOP?

That GOP?

Or the two members of Congress who have received the most $$$$ - Boehner and McConnell?

That GOP?

I believe the link I provided was Time magazine.  A simple click of the link and the questions raised yesterday would have answered your statements.  The article talks about the irony of who is asking tough questions about it and who isn't.  Again, Time, not Newsmax.  Whatever.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2014, 03:26:53 PM »
That GOP?
That GOP?
That GOP?
That GOP?
Yeah, because there is no way that Comcast gives $$ to Democrats.  Sheesh. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2014, 03:54:45 PM »

It is funny. It's also a sad sad commentary on our current political system. We desperately need to get the money out of politics. And a third or fourth party would help as well.

brandx

« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2014, 03:57:44 PM »

Of course they do and it is almost equal to what they give Republicans. I was responding to CCB's post that they owned the Dem party.

Similar to Wall Street of many large corps. They play both sides so they are covered either way.

And every new ruling or law means even more "dark" money for politicians. Sad thing.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2014, 05:05:02 PM »
It is funny. It's also a sad sad commentary on our current political system. We desperately need to get the money out of politics. And a third or fourth party would help as well.

Yup.

Unfortunately I think a 3rd or 4th party doesn't help a ton, especially in our system vs a parliamentary style.  It can work, just more difficult in my view.  You typically end up splintering so much on one side that the other side dominates too much.  I actually enjoy divided gov't, I don't enjoy the money aspect.  That being said, Citizens United I believe is the proper ruling, but I'm up for a trade.  Remove the ability of corporations to spend but also remove the ability for Unions to do the same and forcing members to push their dollars to support causes they don't care for.  I'd be up for that...would eliminate a lot of money in politics.

hepennypacker5000

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2014, 05:12:57 PM »
I believe the link I provided was Time magazine.  A simple click of the link and the questions raised yesterday would have answered your statements.  The article talks about the irony of who is asking tough questions about it and who isn't.  Again, Time, not Newsmax.  Whatever.

The first paragraph:

Comcast's top executives endured hours of intense questioning from lawmakers worried a merger with Time Warner Cable will hurt consumers and competition, including from Republicans who might have been expected to back the deal

Both sides asked questions, this article is unique in that it highlights even Republicans are against it. Sounds like the author's working assumption was that Republicans would back the deal, and it turns out they don't, and she gave quotes supporting how they don't. At no point does she say Democrats weren't asking questions, because that wasn't the purpose of the article. In fact the second paragraph talks about how liberals have been the biggest critics of the merger.

See this article saying both sides asked questions: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/08/us-timewarnercable-comcast-congress-idUSBREA4703O20140508

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2014, 05:47:26 PM »
Of course they do and it is almost equal to what they give Republicans. I was responding to CCB's post that they owned the Dem party.

Similar to Wall Street of many large corps. They play both sides so they are covered either way.

And every new ruling or law means even more "dark" money for politicians. Sad thing.

Uhm, I said they own this administration.  Please, let's stay on target.  I've provided plenty of evidence of that.  I didn't say party, I said current administration.  BIG difference, as it is the administration's DOJ and FCC and FTC that will approve the merger.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2015, 02:53:10 PM »
I'll be the first to say I was wrong on this one.  It started to die a few weeks ago, but I'm still surprised it didn't get done.  Comcast pulling out.  They might be getting bit, too, for meddling in the Hulu Directv acquisition which doesn't surprise me one bit. Many people at DTV thought there was something funny going on there when that deal was killed.

As for the other big one, I'm still 99% confident it happens.  We'll see.

brandx

« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2015, 01:04:48 PM »

Tough to do for some people - but try to read my comment in context of what I was replying to.

brandx

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2015, 01:06:07 PM »
Um.... No Deal!!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2015, 01:54:57 PM »
And now Charter is going to put together an offer for TWC. Crazy!

brandx

« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »

We're really not surprised about this, are we?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »

As always happens in these situations where two large companies come together to form one giant company, this will surely benefit customers and the low-level employees of both companies.

I don't understand why we don't just have one company overseeing every area of business in the world. Customers would be so much better off.

feedback