'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Arkansas job now open again  (Read 3156 times)

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
Arkansas job now open again
« on: April 03, 2007, 06:06:42 PM »
TC would be an idiot to take this job after this debacle with Altman, but even still, another position is open.

Pardner

Re: Arkansas job now open again
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 07:11:49 PM »
TC would be an idiot to take this job after this debacle with Altman, but even still, another position is open.
ESPN says Altman is the sixth to turn it down...TC already said no.  No one from the Izzo Mafia will take that job after the way they treated Heath.  Broyles can't get out of there fast enough. 

From ESPN:
Altman was believed to be at least the Razorbacks' sixth target. Arkansas officials reportedly offered the job to Texas A&M's Billy Gillespie, Kansas' Bill Self, Southern California's Tim Floyd, Memphis' John Calipari and Marquette's Tom Crean, who each turned the job down.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 07:18:33 PM »
After this, Altman probably won't ever get an offer from a major conference school again. If memory serves, he pulled a similar stunt on Illinois before they hired Bruce Weber. What a clown.

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 07:33:13 PM »
A similar stunt? You are an idiot. He politely declined the Illinois job, it was in no way a "similar stunt." Altman is a class guy and realized that the CU job is one of the best in the country.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 07:34:27 PM »
Crean apparently told Iowa no thanks already as well....or so the folks behind the scenes are saying.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 08:43:50 PM »
A similar stunt? You are an idiot. He politely declined the Illinois job, it was in no way a "similar stunt." Altman is a class guy and realized that the CU job is one of the best in the country.

No, you're an idiot, and not just because you think that coaching a mid-major program located in a low-major state and playing  in a mid-major conference qualifies as one of the best jobs in the country.
Altman entered into negotiations with Illinois after Self left, letting things get so far that U of I AD Ron Guenther was telling people close to him they had a deal. Altman then abruptly walked away from the table, deciding he didn't like the "chemistry".
Pulling that once is certainly forgivable, and perhaps even understandable. Doing it twice - and in far worse form this time around - likely will keep him at Creighton or below for all his coaching days.
Don't believe me? Check how things have gone for Dan Dakich since he bailed on West Virginia.

MarquetteBallin

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 10:04:02 PM »
How can you possibly not call Creighton a great gig? He plays in one of the finest arenas in the country, makes approximately $1 million/year which goes a long way in Omaha. Not to mention the Omaha community has embraced Bluejay basketball and would follow Dana and the Jays through hell in a gasoline suit. He doesn't have to deal with ridiculous expectations at a place like Arkansas where the coach gets fired after back-to-back NCAA appearances. Explain to me how that isn't a good gig?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 10:42:04 PM »
And how does "deciding he didn't like chemistry" and pulling away constitute a stunt?  He interviewed, learned about the gig, and eventually learned something he decided wasn't in his best interest.  So he pulled out.   

Had he said something like "go f yourself" then yes, that'd be a stunt, but I'm guessing he very politely said "no thanks" and walked away.

Now, true, actually taking the Ark job and then renegging .. that's not exactly smooth .. although up until that contract is signed, you just don't know what could pop up.

Final Four or Bust

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 10:57:37 PM »
How can you possibly not call Creighton a great gig?

How can you call it a great gig?  What conference is it in again?  How much exposure has Creighton had the past few years?  Who the hell gives a crap about Omaha anyway?

Sorry, IMO this is really grasping for straws.  Heck, next UWM will be one of the greatest jobs.

Creighton is a stepping stone, and Altman may like it there, but he just ruined his chances at a gig at a "real" school, in a "real" conference, with "real" tradition.  Arkansas isn't the best job, but it is so much better than Creighton they aren't on the same playing field.  Hope Dana likes. . ummmm. . . Omaha.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 11:28:25 PM »
How can you possibly not call Creighton a great gig? He plays in one of the finest arenas in the country, makes approximately $1 million/year which goes a long way in Omaha. Not to mention the Omaha community has embraced Bluejay basketball and would follow Dana and the Jays through hell in a gasoline suit. He doesn't have to deal with ridiculous expectations at a place like Arkansas where the coach gets fired after back-to-back NCAA appearances. Explain to me how that isn't a good gig?

If fan loyalty alone was what determined what makes a program "one of the best in the country," then you may be onto something. However, that's not the case. Dayton fans are as rabid as they come, but I wouldn't call that one of the best coaching gigs in the nation. Would you? Of course, I think one could make a case for fans of Kentucky, Louisville, Indiana and many other programs being just as passionate, if not more passionate.
Creighton might be a good job, but good and "one of the best in the country" are two very different animals. For all its strengths, Creighton will likely never compete seriously for a national championship. Heck, it's a program that hasn't made it out of the first weekend in at least 32 years. The inability to compete for a championship alone is a deal killer when you're talking about great programs. Factor in location, national exposure, conference affiliation and ability to attract top recruits, and there's just no way one can build a case for it being a great program, much less one of the best.

Altman obviously isn't convinced of Creighton's greatness. Were he, I doubt he would have taken the Arkansas job, even for a day.

SqueallyDRyan

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 12:47:18 AM »
final four or best you obviously have never been to omaha. or to a bluejay basketball game
It's not the size of your Diener; its how you use it

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 08:00:38 AM »
I almost went to Creighton for undergrad, and I had a couple of close friends go there.

I've been to a game down there, and I have seen the new facility.

Trust me, it's a good gig.

Altman and the CU will be limited because of the conf. they are in, but the facilities are great, they have proven they can land some talent (enough to compete) and they have shown they are willing to spend for a coach.

U of Nebraska has never really had anything good going for hoops, so Creighton is the school that everybody is into for hoops. The fan base is great.

I'm not sure if Creighton will be the "next big thing", but they are certainly only 1 deep tourny run from being as popular nationally as Gonazaga (which may seem funny, but the Zags get their share of ESPN games).

ALSO: If/when the big east does split up (it probably will happen in the next 10-15 years), it would not suprise me one bit if Creighton was invited to a hoops only conference.... then their potential would be unlimited.

Altman is like a folk hero down there. At the end of the day is about making a living and being happy with your situation. He's making good money, and he's in a good situation.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 08:05:57 AM »
How can you possibly not call Creighton a great gig?

How can you call it a great gig?  What conference is it in again?  How much exposure has Creighton had the past few years?  Who the hell gives a crap about Omaha anyway?

Sorry, IMO this is really grasping for straws.  Heck, next UWM will be one of the greatest jobs.

Creighton is a stepping stone, and Altman may like it there, but he just ruined his chances at a gig at a "real" school, in a "real" conference, with "real" tradition.  Arkansas isn't the best job, but it is so much better than Creighton they aren't on the same playing field.  Hope Dana likes. . ummmm. . . Omaha.

If you take out Altman, and replace it with Crean, and take out Omaha and replace it with Milwaukee you would have the same thing that people were saying about MU and Crean about 5 years ago.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 08:43:57 AM »

I'm not sure if Creighton will be the "next big thing", but they are certainly only 1 deep tourny run from being as popular nationally as Gonazaga (which may seem funny, but the Zags get their share of ESPN games).

I completely disagree with this statement. Creighton is far from one tourny run from even being closely compared to Zaga. They have proven to be good year and year out. They have had competitors for player of the year. They are consistenly picked to do damage in the tournament, usually fail.

Also, Zaga gets many of their games on TV because ESPN doesn't have many options to fill that 10pm time slot. The best team on the Left Coast that plays a lot of their games at night fills that spot very easily.

feedback