[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The War in Ukraine  (Read 49325 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: The War in Ukraine
« Reply #275 on: April 27, 2022, 09:36:48 PM »
There are obsolete tanks, and then there are the T-72s. Check out the pictures.

Russia's tanks in Ukraine have a 'jack-in-the-box' design flaw. And the West has known about it since the Gulf war
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-s-tanks-in-ukraine-have-a-jack-in-the-box-design-flaw-and-the-west-has-known-about-it-since-the-gulf-war/ar-AAWFspU

Hundreds of Russian tanks are thought to have been destroyed since Moscow launched its offensive, with British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace on Monday estimating it had lost as many as 580.

But Moscow's problems go beyond the sheer number of tanks it has lost. Experts say battlefield images show Russian tanks are suffering from a defect that Western militaries have known about for decades and refer to as the "jack-in-the-box effect." Moscow, they say, should have seen the problem coming.

The problem relates to how the tanks' ammunition is stored. Unlike modern Western tanks, Russian ones carry multiple shells within their turrets. This makes them highly vulnerable as even an indirect hit can start a chain reaction that explodes their entire ammunition store of up to 40 shells.

The resulting shockwave can be enough to blast the tank's turret as high as a two-story building, as can be seen in a recent video on social media.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #276 on: April 28, 2022, 08:25:25 AM »
There are obsolete tanks, and then there are the T-72s. Check out the pictures.

Russia's tanks in Ukraine have a 'jack-in-the-box' design flaw. And the West has known about it since the Gulf war
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/russia-s-tanks-in-ukraine-have-a-jack-in-the-box-design-flaw-and-the-west-has-known-about-it-since-the-gulf-war/ar-AAWFspU

Hundreds of Russian tanks are thought to have been destroyed since Moscow launched its offensive, with British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace on Monday estimating it had lost as many as 580.

But Moscow's problems go beyond the sheer number of tanks it has lost. Experts say battlefield images show Russian tanks are suffering from a defect that Western militaries have known about for decades and refer to as the "jack-in-the-box effect." Moscow, they say, should have seen the problem coming.

The problem relates to how the tanks' ammunition is stored. Unlike modern Western tanks, Russian ones carry multiple shells within their turrets. This makes them highly vulnerable as even an indirect hit can start a chain reaction that explodes their entire ammunition store of up to 40 shells.

The resulting shockwave can be enough to blast the tank's turret as high as a two-story building, as can be seen in a recent video on social media.

Appreciate the extremely informative article. The invasion has showcased Russian conventional military weaknesses that include logistics, training, morale etc. on top of equipment/weapon design flaws discovered 30 years ago. The stalled convoy enroute to Kviv was very revealing. Their nuclear force, however, remains a huge concern. Putin does not make idle threats.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #277 on: April 28, 2022, 08:42:51 AM »
Appreciate the extremely informative article. The invasion has showcased Russian conventional military weaknesses that include logistics, training, morale etc. on top of equipment/weapon design flaws discovered 30 years ago. The stalled convoy enroute to Kviv was very revealing. Their nuclear force, however, remains a huge concern. Putin does not make idle threats.

He literally does.  Every single day.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #278 on: April 29, 2022, 12:40:47 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #279 on: April 29, 2022, 12:59:47 PM »
European Union countries are likely to approve as early as next week a phased embargo on Russian oil, officials say, sealing a long-postponed measure that has divided the bloc’s members and highlighted their dependence on Russian energy sources.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/04/29/world/ukraine-russia-war-news/europe-ratchets-up-preparation-for-russian-oil-embargo-next-week?smid=url-copy

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #280 on: April 29, 2022, 01:21:34 PM »
I have concerns that if this doesn't wrap up soon (and it doesn't seem like it is).  There will be massive world wide food shortages.  Wheat... but also very importantly fertilizer is a major export of the area.  Without the fertilizer... AND the wheat... expect famine.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #281 on: April 29, 2022, 01:28:24 PM »
I have concerns that if this doesn't wrap up soon (and it doesn't seem like it is).  There will be massive world wide food shortages.  Wheat... but also very importantly fertilizer is a major export of the area.  Without the fertilizer... AND the wheat... expect famine.

Biden's fault.

Oh, and it's cloudy and windy today. Also Biden's fault.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #282 on: April 29, 2022, 02:18:13 PM »

Between this, and the shutdowns in China, inflation certainly isn't slowing down soon.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #283 on: May 01, 2022, 08:12:30 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas

If you are willing to read this long article in its entirety, I believe you will admit that it was well worth your time. It is very well written and gets into the minds and attitudes of the Russian soldiers as well as Russian society. It concludes on a hopeful note that is realistic. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #284 on: May 01, 2022, 10:27:08 AM »

This will drag on for a while. The US/NATO see this as an excellent opportunity to keep Russia in a protracted military engagement without losing any US/NATO lives. The strategy is to pump Ukraine full of weapons and aid money indefinitely. I haven't seen anyone of significance on the US/NATO side even mention a negotiated peace agreement as an option.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #285 on: May 01, 2022, 11:01:27 AM »
This will drag on for a while. The US/NATO see this as an excellent opportunity to keep Russia in a protracted military engagement without losing any US/NATO lives. The strategy is to pump Ukraine full of weapons and aid money indefinitely. I haven't seen anyone of significance on the US/NATO side even mention a negotiated peace agreement as an option.

Ding...Ding. We have a winner. All of this is political theatre. The west (politicians) doesn't really care about the lives being lost in Ukraine, they view this as an opportunity to bleed Russia dry.

The best way to do that is a long protracted war that hurts everyone...except those in charge in the wealthy elites.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #286 on: May 02, 2022, 01:22:30 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6sCsOdqXQw

Some of you folks might be interested.  Great information about Taiwan and China and what an invasion would entail and why.

The guy makes amazing videos.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #287 on: May 02, 2022, 01:33:21 PM »

You make an excellent point, but we shouldn't make the mistake that is is just one or the other - bleeding Russia dry OR humanitarian concerns.

Don't forget that while we are bleeding Russia dry, Ukraine isn't the only country suffering. All of Europe suffers with higher costs for both refugees and for military costs as Putin makes threats against European nations.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #288 on: May 02, 2022, 02:19:53 PM »
You make an excellent point, but we shouldn't make the mistake that is is just one or the other - bleeding Russia dry OR humanitarian concerns.

Don't forget that while we are bleeding Russia dry, Ukraine isn't the only country suffering. All of Europe suffers with higher costs for both refugees and for military costs as Putin makes threats against European nations.

Right. I think this strategy is actually quite cruel. Using Ukrainian lives as cannon fodder in a war of attrition. I knew the MIC would be pretty pissed about the Afghanistan withdrawal, but I really underestimated how quickly they could pivot to ratchet up a new weapons spending spree in another part of the world. Unfortunately, there appears to be wide bipartisan support from the political and media class for continuing this proxy war indefinitely. No one seems particularly concerned about the possibility of nuclear war right now, which I guess is a silver lining.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #289 on: May 02, 2022, 02:21:42 PM »
Right. I think this strategy is actually quite cruel. Using Ukrainian lives as cannon fodder in a war of attrition. I knew the MIC would be pretty pissed about the Afghanistan withdrawal, but I really underestimated how quickly they could pivot to ratchet up a new weapons spending spree in another part of the world. Unfortunately, there appears to be wide bipartisan support from the political and media class for continuing this proxy war indefinitely. No one seems particularly concerned about the possibility of nuclear war right now, which I guess is a silver lining.

Proxy war > actual war

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #290 on: May 02, 2022, 02:22:07 PM »

So are you saying you are against aiding Ukraine?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #291 on: May 02, 2022, 02:23:39 PM »

But unless the Ukraine agrees to negotiate away parts of their territory in return for peace, I don't know what the alternative is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #292 on: May 02, 2022, 02:26:02 PM »
So are you saying you are against aiding Ukraine?
Quite the contrary. I think the best way to help Ukraine would be negotiating a peace agreement. Our current strategy is just prolonging the conflict which ensures more lives lost and further destruction of Ukraine.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #293 on: May 02, 2022, 02:31:23 PM »

But unless the Ukraine agrees to negotiate away parts of their territory in return for peace, I don't know what the alternative is.

That was the inevitable end to this conflict before the war even broke out. This has been building for 8+ years. Ukraine isn't in much of a position to negotiate anything since they are completely reliant on US/NATO dollars and weapons. Maybe after a couple years they can push Russia back while the West supplies them with money and weapons, but at that point they'd just be ruling over a pile of rubble and dead bodies.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #294 on: May 02, 2022, 02:34:19 PM »
nm
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #295 on: May 02, 2022, 02:43:42 PM »
Proxy war > actual war
For what, your peace of mind? It's an actual war for the people in the war zone.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #296 on: May 02, 2022, 03:19:00 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6sCsOdqXQw

Some of you folks might be interested.  Great information about Taiwan and China and what an invasion would entail and why.

The guy makes amazing videos.

Saw this when it came out. Couldn't figure out where to post here.

Very good videos

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #297 on: May 02, 2022, 04:01:30 PM »
That was the inevitable end to this conflict before the war even broke out. This has been building for 8+ years. Ukraine isn't in much of a position to negotiate anything since they are completely reliant on US/NATO dollars and weapons. Maybe after a couple years they can push Russia back while the West supplies them with money and weapons, but at that point they'd just be ruling over a pile of rubble and dead bodies.
A peace agreement would be nice. However, the only way to achieve that, it would seem, is for Ukraine to give up parts of their country. You believe that they should do that?  If so, it negs the question: should larger, more powerful countries be allowed to take other parts of smaller, less powerful countries?

Ukraine and the Ukrainians don't seem the slightest bit interested in that deal. As long as they are willing to fight, I think we continue to support them.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #298 on: May 02, 2022, 04:45:35 PM »
Ukraine and the Ukrainians don't seem the slightest bit interested in that deal. As long as they are willing to fight, I think we continue to support them.

Well given the evidence (increasing daily) of the brutal Russian occupation tactics, I'm shocked that the Ukrainians feel that way. Given that, a peace deal is going to be hard to deliver.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #299 on: May 02, 2022, 04:49:24 PM »
Quite the contrary. I think the best way to help Ukraine would be negotiating a peace agreement. Our current strategy is just prolonging the conflict which ensures more lives lost and further destruction of Ukraine.

You assume that Russia is interested in a deal. Perhaps that will come, but their actions say otherwise.