[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The War in Ukraine  (Read 49331 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: The War in Ukraine
« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2022, 05:37:54 PM »
Supporting direct conflict with Russia is psychotic, in my opinion.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2022, 06:07:20 PM »
I should have written they have called his views crazy.  I think you  called me psychotic and basically a warmonger  for believing we should be far more forceful  and not give crap about Putin's threats.  Kasparov tends to agree with me.  The fact of the matter is everything we and NATO countries have done thus far is reactive to Putin's actions and moronic statements.  But let's set this aside for a moment and talk about a potential scenario:

Assuming this drags out a month, or 2-3 weeks, and Putin decides to carpet bomb, gas people, or God forbid use some kind of nuclear weapon.  We know his short-term goal at this point has to be to subjugate the Ukrainian people in any way possible.  To me it's very plausible he will get more and more ruthless and kill as many civilians as he can.  Then what?  Do we and NATO just sit on our ass and say to ourselves....."well he didn't attack a NATO country?"  What if he bombs Lviv and the radiation hits Poland ?  Is that an attack on a NATO country?

I don't want to upset anyone here but I believe (and have believed since day 1) that stopping this now is a better option than waiting for this genocide to continue  and the potential horrific aftermath of him controlling  large parts of Ukraine  and staying in power.
  NATO has already said that radiation that blows into a NATO country constitutes an attack and will be grounds to invoke Article 5.

Still curious why you care about the relatively minor genocide in Ukraine more than the others being perpetrated worldwide.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 05, 2022, 06:40:18 PM »
  NATO has already said that radiation that blows into a NATO country constitutes an attack and will be grounds to invoke Article 5.

Still curious why you care about the relatively minor genocide in Ukraine more than the others being perpetrated worldwide.

I'm a caring person.  I don'tl like minor genocides and the potential for destabilizing the world.   It's fine to disagree but I never have been a fan of appeasement when it comes to scumbags.  It upset me greatly as a child when we did nothing about Sierra Leone and Rwanda.  It's not only the geopolitical ramifications Hards, I don't like homicidal maniacs.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #203 on: April 05, 2022, 07:19:40 PM »
Poland bulking up, purchasing Abrams main battle tanks. I thought this comparison between the M1A1 and the Russian T-72, which is still the bulk of the Russian tanks, was quite interesting.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2022, 07:44:22 PM »
Poland bulking up, purchasing Abrams main battle tanks. I thought this comparison between the M1A1 and the Russian T-72, which is still the bulk of the Russian tanks, was quite interesting.

Ok, that image does nothing other than prove that the M1 is bigger, and (not proven by the image) technically superior.  But tanks are a funny antiquated thing.  As proven by the Javelin missile - I don't know why any country would spend their money on a tank today.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #205 on: April 05, 2022, 07:49:40 PM »
America in a nutshell...

Genocide in Bucha. Stories coming out that Mariupol may be much much worse. And on scoop, we're having another dick measuring contest for Biden and Trump.

Mugs and the Dentist keep bringing up August, but yeah it’s a “dick measuring contest.”  🙄
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #206 on: April 05, 2022, 07:56:08 PM »
Mugs and the Dentist keep bringing up August, but yeah it’s a “dick measuring contest.”  🙄

Especially when Russia was stockpiling troops and armament close to the Ukraine border as of Apr 1, 2021.

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 05, 2022, 08:06:30 PM »
Especially when Russia was stockpiling troops and armament close to the Ukraine border as of Apr 1, 2021.

Right. The idea that Russia put this together in a couple months because of Afghanistan is simply shaping world events to fit one’s American political narrative. It’s baffling.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2022, 08:24:07 PM »

Fine.  April 2021. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2022, 08:24:24 PM »
I should have written they have called his views crazy.  I think you  called me psychotic and basically a warmonger  for believing we should be far more forceful  and not give crap about Putin's threats.  Kasparov tends to agree with me.  The fact of the matter is everything we and NATO countries have done thus far is reactive to Putin's actions and moronic statements.  But let's set this aside for a moment and talk about a potential scenario:

Assuming this drags out a month, or 2-3 weeks, and Putin decides to carpet bomb, gas people, or God forbid use some kind of nuclear weapon.  We know his short-term goal at this point has to be to subjugate the Ukrainian people in any way possible.  To me it's very plausible he will get more and more ruthless and kill as many civilians as he can.  Then what?  Do we and NATO just sit on our ass and say to ourselves....."well he didn't attack a NATO country?"  What if he bombs Lviv and the radiation hits Poland ?  Is that an attack on a NATO country?

I don't want to upset anyone here but I believe (and have believed since day 1) that stopping this now is a better option than waiting for this genocide to continue  and the potential horrific aftermath of him controlling  large parts of Ukraine  and staying in power. 

Your poor thoughts on global conflicts are just as tired as your space bar.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2022, 08:48:22 PM »
Ok, that image does nothing other than prove that the M1 is bigger, and (not proven by the image) technically superior.  But tanks are a funny antiquated thing.  As proven by the Javelin missile - I don't know why any country would spend their money on a tank today.
Oh, totally agree that tanks are obsolete against advanced anti-weaponry...which Russia clearly doesn't possess. If the conflict should spill over to a NATO country, however, the M1A1 is so superior to anything the Russians have, including the T-80, it would be a one-sided battle.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2022, 08:49:00 PM »
Fine.  April 2021.
And you think we should have done what?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2022, 09:18:39 PM »
Short thread on taking out the railways to cut off resupply:

https://twitter.com/TrentTelenko/status/1511417219674161158

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 05, 2022, 11:00:31 PM »
He's more knowledgeable and obviously smarter than anyone here Hards.

Kasparov believes that the ancient civilizations, including the Sumerians, babylonians, ancient Egypt etc., all lived during the Middle Ages, and that modern historians have misdated those civilizations.

Brilliant Chess player, yes. Brilliant person...not so much.

As for him predicting this before everyone else. Pretty much the world has been predicting this for years, and for multiple presidents.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 11:02:11 PM by forgetful »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #214 on: April 06, 2022, 12:07:20 AM »
Oh, totally agree that tanks are obsolete against advanced anti-weaponry...which Russia clearly doesn't possess. If the conflict should spill over to a NATO country, however, the M1A1 is so superior to anything the Russians have, including the T-80, it would be a one-sided battle.

A1?  The *world* will never be in a tank battle again.  And it's never really been a tank battle, that's just something that makes militaries feel good. But the A1 is 1980s technology.  Weaponry to take out tanks is almost older than tanks themselves.  Tanks can't keep up. 

As I mentioned, the Javelin, a handled rocket can take out *any* modern tank from miles away.  And that's not even mentioning the *cheap* airborne options.  Watch this video, Javelins cost more than most Russian tanks, and we've been giving those away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6COKC5ZU6gM

Poland and the Ukraine ain't buying any tanks, they have more obsolete versions of those from Russia than they could even use.

edit: anyone that thinks the Ukraine has been getting along "amazingly" without copious US militarily aid is smoking something
"Since February, the United States has provided the country with more than $2 billion in aid"
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/national-international/biden-admin-to-send-100m-in-javelin-missiles-to-ukraine/3199240/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 12:35:54 AM by rocky_warrior »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #215 on: April 06, 2022, 06:06:40 AM »
A1?  The *world* will never be in a tank battle again.  And it's never really been a tank battle, that's just something that makes militaries feel good. But the A1 is 1980s technology.  Weaponry to take out tanks is almost older than tanks themselves.  Tanks can't keep up. 

As I mentioned, the Javelin, a handled rocket can take out *any* modern tank from miles away.  And that's not even mentioning the *cheap* airborne options.  Watch this video, Javelins cost more than most Russian tanks, and we've been giving those away.

Poland and the Ukraine ain't buying any tanks, they have more obsolete versions of those from Russia than they could even use.

edit: anyone that thinks the Ukraine has been getting along "amazingly" without copious US militarily aid is smoking something
"Since February, the United States has provided the country with more than $2 billion in aid"
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/national-international/biden-admin-to-send-100m-in-javelin-missiles-to-ukraine/3199240/

To expand on this, a Switchblade 600 costs around $70k.  An M1 Abarams costs $6.21 million. 

Tank warfare is dead, and the Russians weren't even doing it right.  Those tank crews were meant to intimidate and speed rush land grabs.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 06, 2022, 08:22:51 AM »

Sorry, should have said A2. My bad.

And while I agree with you that tanks are outdated against modern opponents, it appears that on the other side of NATO the only country that can qualify as modern is China.

And Poland disagrees with you about buying tanks:
https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2022/04/05/poland-signs-475-billion-abrams-tank-deal-as-russias-war-speeds-procurements/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 08:24:55 AM by TSmith34 »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #217 on: April 06, 2022, 08:30:54 AM »

Hey Muggsy, is February before August April?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #218 on: April 06, 2022, 08:56:44 AM »
Sorry, should have said A2. My bad.

And while I agree with you that tanks are outdated against modern opponents, it appears that on the other side of NATO the only country that can qualify as modern is China.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2022/04/05/poland-signs-475-billion-abrams-tank-deal-as-russias-war-speeds-procurements/

Ah yes, the Poles, the dudes who rode horses into battle against German tanks in WW2.

They buy them because we sell them.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #219 on: April 06, 2022, 09:02:51 AM »

Ah, well, ok.  I guess they make excellent (but expensive) road blocks.

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2022, 09:03:56 AM »
Interesting article on the lack of professionalism in the Russian army and how the lack of clear strategic objectives are creating an atmosphere where brutality like we are seeing can flourish.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/04/bucha-ukraine-bodies-russian-military-crimes/629485/

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2022, 09:20:12 AM »
Ah yes, the Poles, the dudes who rode horses into battle against German tanks in WW2.
LOL, yes, I was thinking of that story as well.

T-72s are the modern equivalent of horse cavalry.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 09:21:53 AM by TSmith34 »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 06, 2022, 12:22:13 PM »

Battle of Kursk, perhaps?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #223 on: April 07, 2022, 11:23:35 PM »
To expand on this, a Switchblade 600 costs around $70k.  An M1 Abarams costs $6.21 million. 

Tank warfare is dead, and the Russians weren't even doing it right.  Those tank crews were meant to intimidate and speed rush land grabs.

Ukraine: A killing ground for Russian armor. Are tanks now obsolete?
https://news.yahoo.com/ukraine-a-killing-ground-for-russian-armor-are-tanks-now-obsolete-164327834.html

...."This has led some experts to say that warfare has changed, and that tanks and armored personnel carriers are now obsolete. “They are too expensive & are easily destroyed with manifold light anti-tank weapons or drones,” Anders Aslund, an expert on Russia, Ukraine and Eastern Europe, wrote on Twitter.

...One former British Army officer, now a defense military analyst, said people should be careful to “avoid drawing the wrong conclusions” on tanks. “Russia's disastrous tactics have been a terrible advertisement for tanks,” Nicholas Drummond wrote on Twitter. “No artillery support. No infantry support. No air support,” he said, referring to images showing destroyed Russian tanks. “This is not how combined arms tactics work in an era of multi-domain operations.”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 08, 2022, 08:07:27 AM »
I love the 80's nostalgia.  In homage to Red Dawn, Ukrainians have been painting WOLVERINES on dead Russian tanks.