[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The War in Ukraine  (Read 49342 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: The War in Ukraine
« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2022, 08:53:16 AM »
In August, FD wuz mucking up and bungling da Afghanistan pull out, aina?

Yes.  But I think four years of gushing from the previous President was probably more of a factor.  But you never seem to realize that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #176 on: April 05, 2022, 10:44:01 AM »

Yes.  But I think four years of gushing from the previous President was probably more of a factor.  But you never seem to realize that.

Or that the prior president had already negotiated/committed to leaving

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #177 on: April 05, 2022, 10:50:41 AM »
Kasparov is very critical of this administration and basically predicted this would happen for many months while the media called him crazy.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #178 on: April 05, 2022, 11:12:25 AM »
Kasparov is very critical of this administration and basically predicted this would happen for many months while the media called him crazy.

Kasparov has always hated Putin and fled Russia over a decade ago.  He has as much knowledge of the situation as any other citizen political analyst.

He can't go back to Russia.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #179 on: April 05, 2022, 11:15:44 AM »

Who called him crazy?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #180 on: April 05, 2022, 11:15:56 AM »
Kasparov has always hated Putin and fled Russia over a decade ago.  He has as much knowledge of the situation as any other citizen political analyst.

He can't go back to Russia.

He's more knowledgeable and obviously smarter than anyone here Hards. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 11:17:44 AM by MuggsyB »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #181 on: April 05, 2022, 11:18:36 AM »
Who called him crazy?

Several media people unless I'm imagining things. 

• All American
« Reply #182 on: April 05, 2022, 11:23:59 AM »
He's been called crazy because he has a lot of crazy thoughts.  I just don't recall him being called crazy because he predicted the invasion of Ukraine.  And I don't even recall him doing that.

Regardless, his opinion of this stuff isn't terribly relevant to me.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2022, 11:24:11 AM »
Such as? Again, what do you think should have been done in August?

On another note, both the Czech Republic and Germany sending more heavy equipment including tanks and fighting vehicles. Seems to me tanks could be considered offensive weapons like MiGS are.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #184 on: April 05, 2022, 11:29:16 AM »

Receipts?
You said "the media" called him crazy for predicting in August that Russia might invade Ukraine (which was about 7 years after Russia invaded Ukraine).
Who called him crazy?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 11:31:34 AM by Pakuni »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #185 on: April 05, 2022, 11:35:34 AM »
basically predicted this would happen for many months

Whoa.  Didn't basically everyone know this would happen since mid 2021?  If you can find some evidence of non-crazy people calling it impossible I'd love to see that.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #186 on: April 05, 2022, 11:42:33 AM »

Considering Kasparov is widely quoted in many circles and I don’t seem to recall the crazy comments, I’d also like to see the receipts.

I could see the Putin apologists in right wing media calling him crazy but I don’t even recall that
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #187 on: April 05, 2022, 11:50:41 AM »
Whoa.  Didn't basically everyone know this would happen since mid 2021?  If you can find some evidence of non-crazy people calling it impossible I'd love to see that.

No one said it was impossible but I was called psychotic even though some of my views are similar to Kasparov's.  Frankly he's warned about Putin for about a decade.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #188 on: April 05, 2022, 11:53:03 AM »
He's been called crazy because he has a lot of crazy thoughts.  I just don't recall him being called crazy because he predicted the invasion of Ukraine.  And I don't even recall him doing that.

Regardless, his opinion of this stuff isn't terribly relevant to me.

Why not?  His views are irrelevant but CNN/Fox people are worth listening to?  The man has a lot of knowledge and is probably a genius.  Why would you not want to hear his opinions even if you disagree Fluffy?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #189 on: April 05, 2022, 12:30:30 PM »
Why not?  His views are irrelevant but CNN/Fox people are worth listening to?  The man has a lot of knowledge and is probably a genius.  Why would you not want to hear his opinions even if you disagree Fluffy?

There are many geniuses who espouse opinions and "facts" on things they have no specialty or intricate knowledge of.  Kasparov is an incredible chess player and obviously a very intelligent person, but that alone doesn't make him an expert on foreign policy, nor does it mean he should automatically be listened to.  Ted Kaczynski is a certifiable genius.  So are other people that are prone to being a bit out there.

There are plenty of Hollywood celebrities with genius level IQs.  Do you want to start listening to all of their thoughts on foreign policy or what the US should be doing?

• All American
« Reply #190 on: April 05, 2022, 12:44:53 PM »
There are many geniuses who espouse opinions and "facts" on things they have no specialty or intricate knowledge of.  Kasparov is an incredible chess player and obviously a very intelligent person, but that alone doesn't make him an expert on foreign policy, nor does it mean he should automatically be listened to.  Ted Kaczynski is a certifiable genius.  So are other people that are prone to being a bit out there.

There are plenty of Hollywood celebrities with genius level IQs.  Do you want to start listening to all of their thoughts on foreign policy or what the US should be doing?

Yep yep.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #191 on: April 05, 2022, 12:47:35 PM »
No one said it was impossible but I was called psychotic even though some of my views are similar to Kasparov's.  Frankly he's warned about Putin for about a decade.

As have 1000s of others. But two other people didn't worry about Putin.

Bush: "I looked the man in the eye. I found him to be very straightforward and trustworthy."

Trump: "Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine -- of Ukraine. Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that's wonderful."

and 

"I mean, he's taking over a country for two dollars' worth of sanctions,
I'd say that's pretty smart. He's taking over a country -- really a vast, vast location, a great piece of land with a lot of people, and just walking right in."

It's time you quit talking like a tough guy when this is who you support.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 05, 2022, 01:00:10 PM »

Who here is saying we should let CNN and Fox News personalities drive our foreign policy.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 01:02:02 PM by Pakuni »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 05, 2022, 01:07:59 PM »

I'll be the 6-7th person to ask...

Who called him crazy for the Russian invasion prediction?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 05, 2022, 01:36:42 PM »
He's more knowledgeable and obviously smarter than anyone here Hards.

Bro, he's a famous chess player.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #195 on: April 05, 2022, 02:07:14 PM »

Like Kid Rock or somethin'.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #196 on: April 05, 2022, 04:13:40 PM »
Like Kid Rock or somethin'.

That's a Detroit celebrity! Whole different ballgame.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #197 on: April 05, 2022, 04:36:43 PM »
America in a nutshell...

Genocide in Bucha. Stories coming out that Mariupol may be much much worse. And on scoop, we're having another dick measuring contest for Biden and Trump.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #198 on: April 05, 2022, 04:53:55 PM »
America in a nutshell...

Genocide in Bucha. Stories coming out that Mariupol may be much much worse. And on scoop, we're having another dick measuring contest for Biden and Trump.

Good point.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2022, 05:10:33 PM »
I'll be the 6-7th person to ask...

Who called him crazy for the Russian invasion prediction?

I should have written they have called his views crazy.  I think you  called me psychotic and basically a warmonger  for believing we should be far more forceful  and not give crap about Putin's threats.  Kasparov tends to agree with me.  The fact of the matter is everything we and NATO countries have done thus far is reactive to Putin's actions and moronic statements.  But let's set this aside for a moment and talk about a potential scenario:

Assuming this drags out a month, or 2-3 weeks, and Putin decides to carpet bomb, gas people, or God forbid use some kind of nuclear weapon.  We know his short-term goal at this point has to be to subjugate the Ukrainian people in any way possible.  To me it's very plausible he will get more and more ruthless and kill as many civilians as he can.  Then what?  Do we and NATO just sit on our ass and say to ourselves....."well he didn't attack a NATO country?"  What if he bombs Lviv and the radiation hits Poland ?  Is that an attack on a NATO country?

I don't want to upset anyone here but I believe (and have believed since day 1) that stopping this now is a better option than waiting for this genocide to continue  and the potential horrific aftermath of him controlling  large parts of Ukraine  and staying in power. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 05:12:24 PM by MuggsyB »