[Today at 09:01:57 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Turnovers & rebs !  (Read 5837 times)

Murffieus

• All American
Turnovers & rebs !
« on: November 15, 2006, 07:05:09 PM »
McNeal had 7 assists which is good-----and I appreciate his steals and forced TOs yesterday----but the reality is that we aren't going to beat Pitt, GT, Cuse, Ville, and others in the BE by creating TOs-----we're going to have to beat them in the half court game. Now the trey shooting was better yesterday, but remains to be seen whether that was just a rebound off 5 for 23 the previous night or begins what we will need (near 40% trey shooting) going forward.

Also part of the half court game is rebounding----and on that score yesterday when we beat a team by over 40 points-----we were dead even in rebs (30-30). Normally with a point spread like that, we should beat them on the glass by 15-20 rebs!

Harrison

• Team Captain
Re: Turnovers & rebs !
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 07:32:15 PM »
I do not disagree with what you say in general.  We must improve in the half court offense to have the type of year we are all hoping for..  Big games and tournament games end up in the half court.  The nice thing is we have about two months to continue to get better while only, worst case, acquiring 2-3 losses.  Come early January you are right but my guess is this team will be infinitely better by then in that area.  But with that said there is absolutely nothing wrong with picking the spots to extend the defense and gain some easy hoops to ease over the half court deficiencies.

Now as far as the rebounding comment..in general you are right but last night was really an anomoly.  First of all until late we had more field goals made than they had attempts.  It is sort of hard to out rebound a team that due to 30 turnovers has not taken many shots.  So i think we actually " out rebounded" them in the sense that they had many more opportunities to collect defensive rebounds than we did.  to add further to my point we absolutely destroyed ISU on the boards and were a free throw iwth 3 seconds left away from losing.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 08:10:19 PM »
Yea, but we had 26 missess and they had 27 misses (about the same because we shot a lot better %55% to 38%)----so each team had equal chance at defensive rebs------we had 10 offensive rebs----they had 8. Against a team like Detroit we should have had more of both (offensive  & defensive rebs).

Can't count on steals and TOs in the BE----they take better control of the ball!

milkbone

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 08:33:54 PM »
Did you even see the game John??

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 08:06:41 PM »
What difference does it make whether or not Murf saw the game----the rebound numbers I cite above can be located on any number of internet sites! Talking numbers here not stratagy!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 08:44:18 PM »
Ummmmmmmm.Murff has landed on the Scoop.  what else can I say. :-\

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 09:15:56 AM »
What difference does it make whether or not Murf saw the game----the rebound numbers I cite above can be located on any number of internet sites! Talking numbers here not stratagy!

Ok...numbers.
1st (exhibition) game: Outrebounded Cardinal Stritch 49-34. Forced 24 turnovers to our 18
2nd game: Outrebounded Hillsdale 46-28.  Forced 20 turnovers to our 18
3rd game: Outrebounded Idaho St. 41-33.  Forced 25 turnovers to our 13.
4th game: Matched rebounding with Detroit (30).  Forced 27 turnovers to our 13. 

Looks good for MU.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 10:24:09 AM »
Please, please tell me that 'murph' refers to himself in the third person in real life.  Does 'murph' have a crew cut and thick glasses as well.  Would 'murph' mind posting a picture so i can get a mental image of him doing so at work?

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 07:30:42 PM »
Wow we smoke a team and Murf has to try to come up with a negative spin on something.  We will know a lot more about our team after the Texas Tech and the following game.  If we lose by double digits and lose the rebounding battle by the same double digit margin than yes we might have a rebounding problem but up until now, it is not a problem.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 06:47:28 PM by mufanatic »

milkbone

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 04:46:57 PM »
John are you afraid to answer a REAL easy question. Were you at the Detroit game.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 09:23:52 AM »
I used to post at JS Online, so I'm not real familiar with Murf, but it seems like he's looking objectively and making a point about a part of our game that could use improvement.  It's not easy to do in a blowout win, but needs to be done as we move into more difficult games.  He's not bashing the team, just pointing something out.  Maybe I'll get annoyed with Murf like everyone else seems to be, but without posts like this, the site is just one big circle j.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 09:39:18 AM »
I used to post at JS Online, so I'm not real familiar with Murf, but it seems like he's looking objectively and making a point about a part of our game that could use improvement.  It's not easy to do in a blowout win, but needs to be done as we move into more difficult games.  He's not bashing the team, just pointing something out.  Maybe I'll get annoyed with Murf like everyone else seems to be, but without posts like this, the site is just one big circle j.

The dynamic with Murff is very interesting.

On the one hand, if Murff ever posted "the sky is blue today," and then it started to rain, he would continue to insist that the sky is blue.  He's stubborn and it's pretty hard to move him off of his prior position.

On the other hand, if Murff posted, "the sky is blue today" and it was the most beautiful blue sky ever, you'd still have a half dozen people insisting that the sky is not blue, never was blue, and asking Murff why he hates the sky.

Like I said, it's an interesting dynamic.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 08:03:51 AM »
any more problems with our rebounding abilities against a well-coached, big conference team?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 08:14:45 AM »
any more problems with our rebounding abilities against a well-coached, big conference team?

I'm not taking Murff's side on this point, and I am very happy with Marquette's performance last night, but you should note that Texas Tech was out-rebounded by Sam Houston State, Gardner-Webb and North Dakota State.  Strong rebounding isn't really their calling card (although they did out-rebound UALR by six in TT's 34-point victory).  This is not a criticism of Marquette's performance -- I'm just saying that it might not be the best indicator of our rebounding strength.

Duke has out-rebounded all of their opponents by a fairly good margin, so tonight's game should be a good test.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 11:44:21 PM »
I thought our rebounding was very good against a very good team that was bigger than us.  Now just imagine when these 6-8 athletic 4s step onto the court in a year.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 11:52:36 PM »
Murph what happened tonight with Coach K?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ecompt

• All American
Murff will tell you Coach K is no Brad Soderberg
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2006, 12:03:37 AM »
or Bo Ryan or Dick Bennett, blah, blah, blah.

Tampa Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2006, 12:12:10 AM »
Like I said, it's an interesting dynamic.

Indeed  :)

BlueBadgerDevil

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 01:15:48 AM »
Duke has never been a great rebounding team.  We got a little better last year with Shelden Williams, but K likes to sacrifice rebounds in hopes of getting more steals.  We're never good at crashing the boards.