collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 253348 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #1600 on: August 06, 2017, 01:44:55 PM »
Yeah and Cutler is the far better quarterback, which is embarrassing to say. People say it's the politics. The fact of the matter is it's the lack of quarterbacking ability. I'd take a chance on Cutler and Romo before I'd give Kaepernik a shot, and that's simply on football ability. But people are only upset about Kaepernik.

I didn't think he was politics when he was shopping himself around as a starter, but now that he is simply trying to latch on with a team, it's clearly politics.  I can pretty much say with near certainty that without the anthem thing, he would for sure by on an NFL roster now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1601 on: August 06, 2017, 02:27:46 PM »
Well, the Dolphins just got a lot more interesting.

I like this paragraph in the NFL.com article about the signing:

While Tannehill has yet to make a decision regarding surgery on his injured knee, the desperate attempt for Cutler's services could provide some context. The Dolphins are a team that made the playoffs with a combination of Tannehill and Matt Moore under center a year ago and believe the roster is good enough to win now.

Yeah, because why not expect a guy who won 1 playoff game in 11 years to be the missing link to a championship?

In fairness, some guys just need a change of scenery. Maybe Cutler will excel in Miami. Of course, the change-of-scenery thing also is what they said about Cutler going from Denver, where he put on a choke-a-thon, to Chicago.

As an aside, I was a huge Dolphins fan as a kid. During my formative years, they were the best team in football, and I wanted to root for a winner. So I loved me my Csonka and Griese and Warfield and Buoniconti and Fernandez and Scott and Garo and Mercury, etc. I stuck with 'em for many years and very much enjoyed watching Marino play. But after they forced out Shula, I lost interest. It won't bother me at all if Cutler fails there. And it won't excite me if he succeeds. Ever since I moved to NC, I've become a major Panthers fan - and that was saying something, because my first year here Jimmy Clausen "led" my boys to a 2-14 record!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1602 on: August 06, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »

I didn't think he was politics when he was shopping himself around as a starter, but now that he is simply trying to latch on with a team, it's clearly politics.  I can pretty much say with near certainty that without the anthem thing, he would for sure by on an NFL roster now.

With Miami it may be more than just the anthem. He wore a Castro shirt and that may not easily be forgotten by Miami.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1603 on: August 06, 2017, 02:47:47 PM »
With Miami it may be more than just the anthem. He wore a Castro shirt and that may not easily be forgotten by Miami.

It's still a political statement.  I just think its odd that most NFL owners and fans don't think twice about signing guys with a violent past (as long as its not on camera), but act all indignant because someone knelt for the national anthem or was somehow engaged in politics that offended people.

For instance, I think Lance Berkman is an intolerant bigot.  But if he was a free agent still playing ball, I wouldn't get all hung up if he was signed by the Brewers if they thought it would help.  As long as he was good in the clubhouse, why would I care?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1604 on: August 06, 2017, 04:09:48 PM »
Blind QB test (no peeking!).
Which of these guys aren't good enough for the NFL?
Last 10 NFL starts:

QB #1
272 for 408, 66.7 pct., 2,728 yards, 6.7 Y/A, 15 TDs, 11 INTs, 86.5 rating.

QB #2
217 for 339, 64 pct., 2,660 yards, 7.8 Y/A, 16 TDs, 10 INTs, 91.5 rating

QB #3
181 for 286, 63.2 pct., 2,208 yards, 7.7 Y/A, 11 TDs, 10 INTs, 85.2 rating

QB #4
183 for 302, 60.6 pct., 2,054 yards, 6.8 Y/A, 15 TDs, 4 INTs, 91.9 rating

QB #5
226 for 365, 61.9 pct., 2,239 yards, 6.1 Y/A, 18 TDs, 10 INTs, 84.2 rating

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1605 on: August 06, 2017, 04:18:18 PM »

Der is freedom of speech, butt ders also consequences four ones actions, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1606 on: August 06, 2017, 04:23:55 PM »
Of course.  I simply find it disheartening that those consequences aren't extended to people who beat up other people...unless it is recorded.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1607 on: August 06, 2017, 04:25:38 PM »

Der is freedom of speech, butt ders also consequences four ones actions, hey?

If only there were consequences for running a tired old schtick into the ground for years after it lost whatever novel charm it may have once had.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1608 on: August 06, 2017, 05:02:33 PM »
If only there were consequences for running a tired old schtick into the ground for years after it lost whatever novel charm it may have once had.

It had charm, once????

I don't think it is a coincidence that this is the same guy who always is first to make sex jokes that only a 12-15 year old boy would love.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1609 on: August 06, 2017, 05:28:58 PM »
Of course.  I simply find it disheartening that those consequences aren't extended to people who beat up other people...unless it is recorded.

Agreed.  People who beat up others, people who abuse animals (Vick) and such get second chances. People who express unpopular political views, not so much.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1610 on: August 06, 2017, 08:16:32 PM »
     here's the thing-with kaep, you get a qb who had been functioning as essentially a starter with "back-up" stats.  ok, with that, you get a media schmit storm, win or lose.  all the other players have to put up with it.  constant questions about playing with a guy who, well you know the story. say hello to the training camp media orgy.  post game-running back could have an mvp game and the first question he gets will be about kaep.  coach makes a questionable play call that costs the team the game- first question will be?  yup.  media trucks with their satellite dishes up from all over the world parked in the stadium parking lot like a jellystone campground.  they will be like the neighbor who won't go away.

then, you get the cuban-americans who left whatever they had, families, risked their lives, risked their families lives...to start over and the dude is honoring the dictator that killed their fathers, mothers...

then, if you get rid of him for not playing well, the "r" word will be thrown around like a jesse jackson rally

is this really worth all the distractions? 
risks/rewards?  if i'm an owner(like paul allen) i say i'm good, but thanks for playing-next
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1611 on: August 06, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »
     here's the thing-with kaep, you get a qb who had been functioning as essentially a starter with "back-up" stats.  ok, with that, you get a media schmit storm, win or lose.  all the other players have to put up with it.  constant questions about playing with a guy who, well you know the story. say hello to the training camp media orgy.  post game-running back could have an mvp game and the first question he gets will be about kaep.  coach makes a questionable play call that costs the team the game- first question will be?  yup.  media trucks with their satellite dishes up from all over the world parked in the stadium parking lot like a jellystone campground.  they will be like the neighbor who won't go away.

then, you get the cuban-americans who left whatever they had, families, risked their lives, risked their families lives...to start over and the dude is honoring the dictator that killed their fathers, mothers...

then, if you get rid of him for not playing well, the "r" word will be thrown around like a jesse jackson rally

is this really worth all the distractions? 
risks/rewards?  if i'm an owner(like paul allen) i say i'm good, but thanks for playing-next

His teammates said he wasn't a problem and wasn't a "distraction."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1612 on: August 06, 2017, 08:23:58 PM »
If Aaron Rodgers knelt down during the National Anthem, wore a Fidel Castro shirt, grew out an afro, and converted to Islam he wouldn't be without a job. Heck, if Kaepernik was the Kaepernik of 4 years ago he wouldn't be looking for a job. It isn't the politics. It's the ability to perform on the football field. If a player can help a team win football games he'll find a spot on a roster. If he can't he won't. Kaepernik can't so he won't.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1613 on: August 06, 2017, 08:28:28 PM »
If Aaron Rodgers knelt down during the National Anthem, wore a Fidel Castro shirt, grew out an afro, and converted to Islam he wouldn't be without a job. Heck, if Kaepernik was the Kaepernik of 4 years ago he wouldn't be looking for a job. It isn't the politics. It's the ability to perform on the football field. If a player can help a team win football games he'll find a spot on a roster. If he can't he won't. Kaepernik can't so he won't.

Mark Sanchez is currently the backup QB for the Bears. I would rather have Kaep as a backup 7 days a week, twice on Sunday.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1614 on: August 06, 2017, 08:30:29 PM »

His teammates said he wasn't a problem and wasn't a "distraction."

i didn't really stress kaep being "the problem".  what he did, many have a problem with.  however,  the media...?  kaep can do whatever he wants, but he's got to live with other's opinions of those actions as well

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1615 on: August 06, 2017, 08:47:35 PM »
Cutler to the Dolphins. Still am going to miss him in Chicago.

gotta be a way to start a home and home with the dolphins yet, ey?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1616 on: August 06, 2017, 08:48:30 PM »
Mark Sanchez is currently the backup QB for the Bears. I would rather have Kaep as a backup 7 days a week, twice on Sunday.

Sanchez is a 3rd string quarterback on the Bears behind Tribusky and Glennon.  And in order to have Kapernik the Bears would then have to run one offense for Tribusky/Glennon and then have a second offense in place in the event that Kapernik has to enter the game.  If I were a Bears fan, I'd take my chances with a Sanchez 3rd stringer over a Kaepernik 3rd stringer.  Chances are whoever is your 3rd stringer isn't going to get in the game, and if they do you're going to be in deep trouble either way, so I'll take my chances that the bad quarterback who can at least play the same style/offense as my starter and backup can rather than a 3rd stringer who needs an entirely different offense.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1618 on: August 06, 2017, 08:49:02 PM »

Don't be so naive.  You see some of the crap out there that passes for quarterbacks?  Kaepernick has a history of being a winning quarterback.  If that were anyone else, he would be on an NFL roster right now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1619 on: August 06, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »

Don't be so naive.  You see some of the crap out there that passes for quarterbacks?  Kaepernick has a history of being a winning quarterback.  If that were anyone else, he would be on an NFL roster right now.

For who?  Kapernik has been bad for 2 years.  Jay Cutler is a far better quarterback and just now got signed and only because of an injury to a starting quarterback.  Tony Romo is a far better quarterback and is unemployed (or at least not working for an NFL team).

Who could use Kaepernik?  You're limited to teams that run a spread option offense.  Unless you want to implement two separate offenses for your team so that if your starter goes down Kaepernik can come in and run the only offense he can possibly work in.

He's (generously) not a very good football player and he's a system quarterback for a system that isn't used by many teams at all in the NFL.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1620 on: August 06, 2017, 09:20:35 PM »
For who?  Kapernik has been bad for 2 years.  Jay Cutler is a far better quarterback and just now got signed and only because of an injury to a starting quarterback.  Tony Romo is a far better quarterback and is unemployed (or at least not working for an NFL team).

Who could use Kaepernik?  You're limited to teams that run a spread option offense.  Unless you want to implement two separate offenses for your team so that if your starter goes down Kaepernik can come in and run the only offense he can possibly work in.

He's (generously) not a very good football player and he's a system quarterback for a system that isn't used by many teams at all in the NFL.

Why does he have to be in a spread option?  He hasn't played exclusively in that offense. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1621 on: August 06, 2017, 09:27:13 PM »
Clarence Hill, longtime Cowboy beat reporter for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, said in an interview with SI: "There is no question he (Kaepernick) is being blackballed. The league has been guilty of collusion before. Why not now? There is no football reason why Kaepernick is not on a team right now. Why would other players speak on issues when they see how Kaepernick has been blackballed?"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1622 on: August 06, 2017, 09:31:17 PM »

Why does he have to be in a spread option?  He hasn't played exclusively in that offense.

Because the only time he's ever been successful is when he's been in a spread option offense. He can hardly throw a football with defenses committing one defender to spying on him to prevent him from running on them. He's nowhere near good enough to be a starter and he won't work as a backup unless a team is implementing 2 offenses, which they of course wouldn't do. People can say the NFL is colluding against him if they want but then they're colluding against Tony Romo for...being from Burlington, WI or something. I don't buy it for a second. If he could help a team win games he'd be on a roster.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1623 on: August 06, 2017, 09:33:48 PM »
Because the only time he's ever been successful is when he's been in a spread option offense. He can hardly throw a football with defenses committing one defender to spying on him to prevent him from running on them. He's nowhere near good enough to be a starter and he won't work as a backup unless a team is implementing 2 offenses, which they of course wouldn't do. People can say the NFL is colluding against him if they want but then they're colluding against Tony Romo for...being from Burlington, WI or something. I don't buy it for a second. If he could help a team win games he'd be on a roster.

?? Tony Romo could be on a roster right now if he wanted to be.  For example from April...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/tony-romo-retire-free-agent-rumors-quarterback-houston-texans-roster

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1624 on: August 06, 2017, 09:42:26 PM »

?? Tony Romo could be on a roster right now if he wanted to be.  For example from April...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/tony-romo-retire-free-agent-rumors-quarterback-houston-texans-roster

Fair enough. I guess the NFL doesn't care about the hundreds of others who followed suit and kneeled for the National Anthem, just Kaepernik.

The guy isn't good at football. If he were he'd be paid to play it. If Rodgers or Russell Wilson or Cam Newton or any other good quarterback had been the one kneeling for the National Anthem and Kaepernik had respectfully stood with his hand over his heart I'm highly skeptical that Kaepernik would have a job and one of those 3 would be looking for one. But maybe.