collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 253324 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #1350 on: January 19, 2017, 09:04:43 AM »
Supposedly they NFL and CFL has an agreement they won't encroach on each other's market.  Hence that is why the Bills only play an occasional game in Toronto.
That being said, US football is very popular in Canada.  My family friends in Ontario go to one Bills game a year and their kids play for their Canadian high school team.

The family that owns (almost) the entire row behind my uncle's former seats at Lambeau must either be from Canada or have a whole bunch of friends in the Great White North because every game we'd hear both "Go. Pack. Go. Eh?" and "Blessed are the Cheesemakers!"

Seriously... I met a lot of Canadians at Packers games in those seats.  Aside from one couple (who I believe were local), it was a different group of Canucks every game and most were decked out in more green and gold than many of the "cheesemakers" in attendance.

Does that mean NFL should expand to Canada?  Nope.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1351 on: January 22, 2017, 03:59:13 PM »
Dirty Bird!

wow, Green Bae looks awful. Sorry we lost our QB and RB to injury and weren't able to rep the North as Division Champs this year... next year, we'll be back. Skol Vikings!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1352 on: January 22, 2017, 04:14:22 PM »
Dirty Bird!

wow, Green Bae looks awful. Sorry we lost our QB and RB to injury and weren't able to rep the North as Division Champs this year... next year, we'll be back. Skol Vikings!

Youll appreciate this, Anthony Barr was at a fan forum in London and he sat on a cheese head and then proceeded to kick it off stage.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1353 on: January 22, 2017, 04:31:43 PM »
Dirty Bird!

Yawn.

Youll appreciate this, Anthony Barr was at a fan forum in London and he sat on a cheese head and then proceeded to kick it off stage.

This is why the Queens' trophy case is empty.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1354 on: January 22, 2017, 04:37:43 PM »
Bad day to channel your inner Detroit Lion.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1355 on: January 22, 2017, 04:39:09 PM »
That really sucks for TJ Lang. Dude was about to get paid too.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1356 on: January 22, 2017, 04:40:44 PM »
Ass kickin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1357 on: January 22, 2017, 05:00:48 PM »
Lindsey has had a really terrible game, his shotgun snaps have been horrendous all afternoon.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1358 on: January 22, 2017, 05:10:11 PM »
Rodgers completely losing his cool right now.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1359 on: January 22, 2017, 05:17:26 PM »
Mofo's have dropped how many passes? Fumbled inside da 10, missed a chip-shot fg, gotten injured fallin' inta each utter. Amazed #12 had any cool left ta lose, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1360 on: January 22, 2017, 05:19:32 PM »
I sense that after an 8 week run the Packers simply ran out of gas and healthy players.  Next year.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1361 on: January 22, 2017, 05:21:27 PM »
I personally don't blame Rodgers one iota for this game. At least 5 drops, a missed 41 yarder, the Ripkowski fumble, Evans and Gunter dropping easy interceptions, Jake Ryan not being able to corral the fumble, and horrid defense. All these things are well outside of #12's control.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1362 on: January 22, 2017, 05:52:48 PM »
Ya know, I really don't like the Patriots and I would like to see Atlanta win. But the thought of seeing Goodell having to hand over the trophy to Brady is such a satisfying thought.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1363 on: January 22, 2017, 07:47:52 PM »
I personally don't blame Rodgers one iota for this game. At least 5 drops, a missed 41 yarder, the Ripkowski fumble, Evans and Gunter dropping easy interceptions, Jake Ryan not being able to corral the fumble, and horrid defense. All these things are well outside of #12's control.

The Falcons are simply a better football team.  Their quarterback is just as good as the Packers, their WRs are just as good as the Packers (when the Packers are healthy...much better when they're dinged up like this), Packers have a better TE, OLs are a push (today ATL's was far better...then again could just be the lack of a Packers rush), RBs it's not even close to ATL's favor, and D at every level it's not even close in favor of ATL.  Their weakness was special teams, and they even beat the Packers at that today (the rare occasion they had to use them).

Ya know, I really don't like the Patriots and I would like to see Atlanta win. But the thought of seeing Goodell having to hand over the trophy to Brady is such a satisfying thought.

True.  (Then again, I like the Patriots)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #1364 on: January 22, 2017, 11:28:12 PM »
Yes, I am a broken record.

But Capers needs to go. Since Rodgers has been a starter, New England has given up fewer point - usually by a substantial margin - than GB every single season except one. The one time GB had a better defense? They won the Super Bowl.

Funny how a QB is a better "leader" when he has a better defense.

We can't blame it on injuries either because it is every year and it is with different players. Dom has a million schemes - and none of them work. I never figured out this year what he was trying to do in any single game. Without a lucky streak of getting TOs in the last half dozen or so games, this team wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs.

Sadly, he is not held accountable and we see the same thing year after year after year. And the collapses by his defense in big games is almost beyond comprehension. His defense turned Matt Barkley into a superstar. They gave up almost 700 yards to a stiff like Sam Bradford. Almost 750 yards to Matt Stafford. Only 2 teams gave up more yards to Blake Bortles all season.

The path to another SB is easy to see - but not when the biggest roadblock is Capers. And not when TT refuses to add any veteran depth to this defense.

brandx

« Reply #1365 on: January 22, 2017, 11:47:52 PM »
In the last 6 playoff games that ended their season...... GB has given up:

34 points per game
440 yards per game

Just an utter collapse EVERY year by Caper's defense when the season is on the line.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1366 on: January 23, 2017, 07:51:01 AM »
In the last 6 playoff games that ended their season...... GB has given up:

34 points per game
440 yards per game

Just an utter collapse EVERY year by Caper's defense when the season is on the line.

Maybe the Packers should bring back the DC from 2010!

I agree that Capers stunk yesterday.  I hate that Capers always goes soft, prevent defense with a big lead.  But please don't ignore the defense has average talent.  And when the entire CB group is injured & the best pash rushers are playing hurt the defense is really bad.

Unfortunately it is not as simple as just firing Capers and the defense is magically better.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1367 on: January 23, 2017, 08:25:46 AM »
Yes, I am a broken record.

But Capers needs to go. Since Rodgers has been a starter, New England has given up fewer point - usually by a substantial margin - than GB every single season except one. The one time GB had a better defense? They won the Super Bowl.

Funny how a QB is a better "leader" when he has a better defense.

We can't blame it on injuries either because it is every year and it is with different players. Dom has a million schemes - and none of them work. I never figured out this year what he was trying to do in any single game. Without a lucky streak of getting TOs in the last half dozen or so games, this team wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs.

Sadly, he is not held accountable and we see the same thing year after year after year. And the collapses by his defense in big games is almost beyond comprehension. His defense turned Matt Barkley into a superstar. They gave up almost 700 yards to a stiff like Sam Bradford. Almost 750 yards to Matt Stafford. Only 2 teams gave up more yards to Blake Bortles all season.

The path to another SB is easy to see - but not when the biggest roadblock is Capers. And not when TT refuses to add any veteran depth to this defense.

#1 GB isn't on the Patriots' level. No one is. Not sure why you're making that defensive comparison.

#2 GB got shut out in the 1st half yesterday. The D was bad but the O wasn't good either. In 2nd half, was it Capers' fault that Julio Jones caught a 15-yard pass and 2 DBs could barely even slow him down?

#3 The Packers' D is built around play-makers. Matthews, Clinton-Dix, Hyde, etc. None of those guys are great players but they can make big plays. When they don't make any big plays, the D looks awful. They also gamble a lot in an effort to make big plays which can be great for them or it can result in big plays for the other team. It's JJJ-style of D  ;)

brandx

« Reply #1368 on: January 23, 2017, 08:38:51 AM »
Maybe the Packers should bring back the DC from 2010!

I'm missing your point, I think. The defense has been awful for 6 years now. But keep the DC because it was good 7 years ago?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1369 on: January 23, 2017, 08:41:03 AM »
Do Pack fans think the franchise is wasting Rodgers' talent? I think Rodgers makes his OL, WR and TE much better than they are. But you would think with a once-in-a-generation talent like him at the most important position, they could make more Super Bowls in his tenure, assuming the rest of the roster is at least average.

brandx

« Reply #1370 on: January 23, 2017, 08:47:25 AM »
#1 GB isn't on the Patriots' level. No one is. Not sure why you're making that defensive comparison.

Thanks for making my point. How many years does he get to do even an adequate job?

I made the comparison because that defense is why NE has been to the SB so often. If they had Capers and GB's defense, Brady would be comparable to Marino - a great QB who almost never won the big one.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1371 on: January 23, 2017, 08:55:04 AM »
I'm missing your point, I think. The defense has been awful for 6 years now. But keep the DC because it was good 7 years ago?

My point was to look at the personnel in 2010 vs now.

CB: Woodson, Williams, and Shields vs Hyde, Gunter, and Randall with a groin injury

Clay Matthews then vs now.

ILB: Bishop vs Ryan

DL: Jenkins, Raji, and Pickett vs Daniels, Guion, and Clark

Nick Collins at S...ok Ha-ha has filled the hole but is still a half step down from NC.

Now why was that 2010 defense so good?  Compare the rosters and you shall see.

brandx

« Reply #1372 on: January 23, 2017, 08:55:29 AM »
Do Pack fans think the franchise is wasting Rodgers' talent? I think Rodgers makes his OL, WR and TE much better than they are. But you would think with a once-in-a-generation talent like him at the most important position, they could make more Super Bowls in his tenure, assuming the rest of the roster is at least average.

See Marino, Dan.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1373 on: January 23, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »

No.  Way too much emphasis on individual QBs and Super Bowl success.  Look at the other 52 guys on the roster.  Put Rodgers on last year's Broncos or the Seattle team that won the SB and he'd win the Super Bowl those years.

And now with the salary cap you can't build a dynasty as easily.  New England is the exception to the rule.

After the Pack beat Pitt and I was on my way home from a Super Bowl party, I actually thought "Enjoy this.  Everyone assumed Favre would win another.  This might be Rodgers' only one."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1374 on: January 23, 2017, 09:37:10 AM »
Thanks for making my point. How many years does he get to do even an adequate job?

I made the comparison because that defense is why NE has been to the SB so often. If they had Capers and GB's defense, Brady would be comparable to Marino - a great QB who almost never won the big one.

You're not serious, are you? In 2011, NE had the 31st ranked D in the NFL and made it to the SB.

In the 6 games in which GB has been eliminated since the SB, Rodgers has completed under 60% of his passes, thrown 11 TDs, 6 INTs and has a QB rating of  81.9. It's not always on the D.

feedback