collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 253281 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #500 on: September 17, 2016, 06:27:01 PM »
Generally, I have no issues with security checkpoints.  The issue was with the incredibly small number for a stadium that holds over 64,000 fans.

My problem with all stadiums is that it's faux security, kind of like at the airport. They'll keep you from bringing in a bottle of water, but can they keep somebody posing as a TV technician from bringing in a dirty bomb? How tight is the security on the caterers and hourly employees?

I went to Michigan Stadium less than a year after 9/11 and was amazed at how little security there was in a stadium that holds 100k+.

Frankly, I'm stunned that terrorists have targeted one of our sporting cathedrals yet.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #501 on: September 17, 2016, 06:55:46 PM »
My problem with all stadiums is that it's faux security, kind of like at the airport. They'll keep you from bringing in a bottle of water, but can they keep somebody posing as a TV technician from bringing in a dirty bomb? How tight is the security on the caterers and hourly employees?

I went to Michigan Stadium less than a year after 9/11 and was amazed at how little security there was in a stadium that holds 100k+.

Frankly, I'm stunned that terrorists have targeted one of our sporting cathedrals yet.

Good point.  At the Vikes stadium, I was carrying a small zipper pouch that I carry my EpiPens in.  I walked toward the woman who was checking bags, and started to open it while saying "it's my EpiPens."  She waved her hand at me and said "Oh, then I don't need to see it," and never looked. :-\

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #502 on: September 17, 2016, 07:28:34 PM »
Craziest security I ever had was when I went to a Colombian soccer game. Got wanded originally and then a full pat down right after that. They did that for everyone.

Going to a premier league game tomorrow so well see how that goes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #503 on: September 17, 2016, 07:33:14 PM »
Craziest security I ever had was when I went to a Colombian soccer game. Got wanded originally and then a full pat down right after that. They did that for everyone.

Which one?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #504 on: September 17, 2016, 07:56:59 PM »

Enjoy!  Who ya seeing?  Saw an Arsenal game once, but it wasn't in the Premier League-an exhibition against Boca Juniors.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #505 on: September 17, 2016, 09:04:12 PM »

What security isn't faux? TSA has time and again proven to be bogus

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #506 on: September 17, 2016, 09:12:47 PM »

You really don't even need to get in the stadium to do significant damage, though the caught on camera terror aspect wouldn't be in play.    They could blow a vest up in the ticket line, especially if Minnesota is funneling to only four checkpoints.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #507 on: September 17, 2016, 09:24:13 PM »
I had a heart monitor in my chest for 3.5 years. I had a medical card saying I had a medical implant in the event that it set off a metal detector. Sometimes I would just go through the detectors like normal and it wouldn't go off. If it did I would show them the card and most of the time they just waved me through. Sometimes I would just tell them I had it and they would take me to the side and tell me to cover where it was and wand me. I always felt like if someone wanted to they could tie a small knife or something to their chest and say, "I have a medical implant" and be fine getting through most security.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #508 on: September 17, 2016, 10:44:48 PM »

If you read my comment again, I said exactly that.

These aren't pleasant things to discuss, but it's all true. These events are so vulnerable.

Then again, we're all more likely to drown in our bathtubs.

Seriously, there were more deaths by drowning in 2014 than were killed on 9/11.

(http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2016/01/22/deaths-from-drowning-in-bathtubs-up-70-in-10-years-report/)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #509 on: September 17, 2016, 11:40:30 PM »

Security isn't that difficult if citizens willingly give up freedoms, allow profiling, etc. - that's a high price to pay, though. Most would say too high.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #510 on: September 18, 2016, 07:51:37 AM »
I meant on tv, but when things settle down a bit, I'd like to take a ride up and see a game

Too bad you're not in town.  Getting ready to rub down and inject a 13 pound brisket.  Should be perfect around game time.  Burnt ends too. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 10:36:46 AM by real chili 83 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #511 on: September 18, 2016, 09:42:03 AM »
Security isn't that difficult if citizens willingly give up freedoms, allow profiling, etc. - that's a high price to pay, though. Most would say too high.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." -Benjamin Franklin
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #512 on: September 18, 2016, 12:36:24 PM »
I didn't realize this nor heard anything about the reffing during the packers-Jaguars game, but apparently we/packers not only got away with the benefit of missed calls, but according to the comments, the packers always seem to benefit from missed calls??

Note the comment section.  They even out a little bit, but news to me

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17576262/nfl-acknowledged-missed-calls-jacksonville-jaguars-week-1-loss-green-bay-packers
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #513 on: September 18, 2016, 12:38:53 PM »
Yeah.  The comments section of online articles are a real accurate source of information.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #514 on: September 18, 2016, 12:42:37 PM »
I didn't realize this nor heard anything about the reffing during the packers-Jaguars game, but apparently we/packers not only got away with the benefit of missed calls, but according to the comments, the packers always seem to benefit from missed calls??

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17576262/nfl-acknowledged-missed-calls-jacksonville-jaguars-week-1-loss-green-bay-packers

And how many calls that went the Jags way were there?  0?  I highly doubt it, but maybe.

I have no proof of it at all, but I'd venture to guess that if you had 22 referees, each focusing on one individual player, you'd probably be able to throw a flag on every single play of every football game if you really wanted to.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #515 on: September 18, 2016, 01:42:18 PM »

I have no proof of it at all, but I'd venture to guess that if you had 22 referees, each focusing on one individual player, you'd probably be able to throw a flag on every single play of every football game if you really wanted to.

This.

Look closely enough and you will probably see at least one of the offensive linemen holding on every single play. Officials only throw the flags on the ones that are so blatant my grandma (RIP) can see them.  You could also probably make a case for pass interference on nearly every pass play.   Add stuff like defensive holding, illegal contact and such, and the games would never end.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #516 on: September 18, 2016, 04:02:37 PM »
Lions favored by 6 at home against the Titans.  Levy is injured on defense for Detroit.   This is the kind of game Detroit historically finds a way to lose.   Won't have a chance to watch.
Ahem.   No one ever went broke betting against the Lions
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #517 on: September 18, 2016, 04:23:25 PM »
SKOL Vikings. We inspired TN
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #518 on: September 18, 2016, 04:24:09 PM »
Too bad you're not in town.  Getting ready to rub down and inject a 13 pound brisket.  Should be perfect around game time.  Burnt ends too.

NICE!!  Now of course you know better chili-there is a smoking section ya know (

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #519 on: September 18, 2016, 04:27:25 PM »
Yeah.  The comments section of online articles are a real accurate source of information.

Never said it was a source. I read them to get a feeling of the sentiment.  It's not scientific of course, but it does give us an idea of which way the wind is blowing. just a sampling my man, just a sampling

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #520 on: September 18, 2016, 06:13:13 PM »
Rams are 1-1, avg 4.5 ppg.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #521 on: September 18, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
SKOL Vikings. We inspired TN

Just a pinch between your cheek and gum, eh?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #522 on: September 18, 2016, 07:31:06 PM »
Absolutely zero security at the soccer match today. I walked straight to give my ticket, no metal detectors or wands or anything. My friend had a purse that nobody checked either. Really kind of refreshing living in a society where gun violence isn't an issue.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #523 on: September 18, 2016, 07:33:43 PM »
You realize that's it's not just about gun violence right?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #524 on: September 19, 2016, 08:53:58 AM »

Packers fans are typically the only people who are blind to the fact that the Packers tend to get calls in their favor, particularly when Favre was there but it's carried over with Rodgers, and it's even greater when they're at Lambeau.

Believe me. I grew up watching Michael Jordan. I know preferential calls  ;)