collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 253382 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #400 on: September 09, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »
Well that is the actual rule, if the QB is viewed as trying to advance the ball as a runner, they lose all special protections (including helmet to helmet) of being a QB.  It is up to the officials to determine whether the QB began the act of being a runner.

Cam, often switches between being a runner and passer, he is going to get more helmet to helmet hits because of this.  If He and Carolina do not like it, they should not use him so much as a runner.

I understand that, the count of helmet to helmet hits I specified were in the pocket, there were at least another couple that were outside the pocket. One was the ole defender arm to the head move as well.

Additionally, it doesn't matter if he's a runner, the defender can't use the crown of their helment on someone else's helmet.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #401 on: September 09, 2016, 08:48:47 AM »
I understand that, the count of helmet to helmet hits I specified were in the pocket, there were at least another couple that were outside the pocket. One was the ole defender arm to the head move as well.

Additionally, it doesn't matter if he's a runner, the defender can't use the crown of their helment on someone else's helmet.

The official blew it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17500234/nfl-blame-officials-panthers-failing-protect-cam-newton

"But does anyone truly believe Steratore would've allowed pocket passers Tom Brady or, say, the now-retired Peyton Manning to take multiple shots to the head without penalizing the offending opponents? And on the one personal foul Steratore did call against Stewart, does anyone truly believe the ref would've called intentional grounding on Brady or Manning when it was so clear the approaching illegal hit inspired the throwaway?"

Good questions.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #402 on: September 09, 2016, 09:06:26 AM »

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #403 on: September 09, 2016, 09:24:53 AM »
But seriously, how can you miss this?

https://twitter.com/JoeGiglioSports/status/774244251702009856

Just a straight up dirty play. Should have had a stop put to it much earlier in the game.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #404 on: September 09, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »

That checks all the boxes: late, crown of the head, launching, targeting or whatever you want to call it.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #405 on: September 09, 2016, 09:26:57 AM »
The NFL makes it so hard to be a fan, I'm a hypocrite because I still watch and consume, but consider me an unhappy customer.

There were two clear as day launches by Stewart and Marshall, both in front of the umpire and Steratore. Both guys should have been ejected. I don't care if it's Cam, Rodgers, Cutler, Jonathan Quinn...that can't happen without an ejection/fine/suspension.

It was borderline criminal what happened to Cam last night, I don't want to watch football to see a guy take repeated vicious shots to his head. And for the NFL to say concussion protocol was followed? Give. Me. A. Break.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #406 on: September 09, 2016, 09:31:21 AM »
Last year, this was called roughing the passer. Total joke.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/774231502238265344

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #407 on: September 09, 2016, 09:48:25 AM »

That's the type of play that they use as file footage when discussing illegal, dirty head-to-head shots on QBs.

Last year, this was called roughing the passer. Total joke.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/774231502238265344

This looks like a spoof of what would be called roughing the passer.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #408 on: September 09, 2016, 10:27:06 AM »
The NFL makes it so hard to be a fan, I'm a hypocrite because I still watch and consume, but consider me an unhappy customer.

There were two clear as day launches by Stewart and Marshall, both in front of the umpire and Steratore. Both guys should have been ejected. I don't care if it's Cam, Rodgers, Cutler, Jonathan Quinn...that can't happen without an ejection/fine/suspension.

It was borderline criminal what happened to Cam last night, I don't want to watch football to see a guy take repeated vicious shots to his head. And for the NFL to say concussion protocol was followed? Give. Me. A. Break.

http://deadspin.com/cam-newtons-night-was-hard-to-watch-1786426230

"By the most realistic reading, humans make mistakes, and the NFL has weighed the risk-benefit analysis of installing the infrastructure for a true, toothed concussion program and decided that occasionally letting things like this through the cracks is a fair price to pay when the alternative is overzealous caution to the point of losing viewership.

You could argue—I would—that this is shortsighted, that the decline of youth football and the rise in insurance premiums and the general ickiness felt by some amount of fans who like football but not quite enough to watch it knowing what we do about the greed of the league and the potential health effects on its players, that all of this is going to seriously impact the sport’s long-term popularity to a degree far outweighing the immediate value of finding out if Cam Newton could lead the Panthers into field goal range."

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #409 on: September 09, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »
This looks like a spoof of what would be called roughing the passer.
[/quote]
I couldn't get the sound working but lip reading the ref he clearly says "personal foul defense.  perfectly executed tackle between the knees and waist."

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #410 on: September 09, 2016, 11:46:27 AM »
Wait til u c my boi Sam Bradford!

He just might be the best quarterback to take the field...with a clipboard in his hands and a baseball hat on his head

http://www.startribune.com/decision-on-vikings-starting-qb-is-yet-to-come/392670341/

As for the "rough-housing" the QB, Sunday and Monday's games are going to feel the pain. Hopefully the coaches told the players that the NFL will be watching very very closely
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #411 on: September 09, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »
The NFL should be ashamed as they swim through their Scrooge McDuck amount of profit.

http://i.imgur.com/Mn1z9Ld.mp4

MU82

• All American
« Reply #412 on: September 09, 2016, 03:14:56 PM »
I'm disappointed with the loss, obviously. Even with the officials in general not being kind to my boys, the Panthers STILL could have won the game - right down to the last play. So I'm not going to blame the refs.

That being said, there obviously is a double-standard involving Cam. The Panthers have made this charge before, but it really started looking that way in 2014 and through last season, and now last night's game. Frightful.

I guess I don't really understand the NFL's concussion rules. Cam obviously was knocked dizzy by that last one in the closing minutes. I expected him to be taken out of the game and subjected to tests, and I would have been fine with that. It's just part of the game - or at least I thought it was. I watched the game in a sports bar and couldn't really hear the announcers, so I don't know what was being discussed on TV.

I thought it was amazing that Cam threw a couple of great passes after that blatantly dirty, intent-to-injure hit. Speaks to his toughness and ability.

I also think there's something wrong with doing off-setting penalties when one hurts nobody (intentional grounding) and the other is potentially season-ending (helmet-to-helmet launch). I'm pretty sure the ref adjudicated it the way it is written, but I say it's written wrong.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #413 on: September 09, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »
BTW, Panthers today say Cam passed 4 different concussion tests.

Also, Cam took the high road after the game:

“It’s not my job to question the officials. I really like this officiating crew. It wasn’t something that I know they did intentionally. But it’s not fun getting hit in the head. We didn’t lose the game off that; I know that for a fact. We’ve just got to find ways to put more drives together.”

Team leader Thomas Davis wasn't having it, though:

“That’s nothing new. They didn’t do anything different that hasn’t happened all along. It’s just something that the league is going to have to police and they’re going to have to do a better job of and start treating him like the quarterback that he is.

“They look at his size. It’s kind of like the NBA used to allow guys to get away with that against Shaquille O’Neal because of his size. But when you dig deep down into it, they talk about player safety all the time and they need to protect that player as well.”

Greg Olsen was perplexed with the grounding call:

“I don’t know how that’s possible, to get an intentional grounding when you get personal fouled.”
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brandx

« Reply #414 on: September 09, 2016, 04:36:40 PM »
It just isn't possible for veteran referees to miss that many blatant cheap shots to the head.

This is the NFL - they need to seem as if they care simply for the sake of future lawsuits. But I think everyone knows better. Their history of ignoring the effects of concussions to players has been well documented.

Ominous signs for QBs in general. These were not missed calls because the refs didn't see them. This is the new NFL.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #415 on: September 09, 2016, 04:50:06 PM »
Gah,  you guys,  are a bunch pansies,  this is just the pu$$isfication of real men,  playing a real sport. 

The NFL is a private league,  with their own rules.   If these guys don't like,  next MAN up!

What will I tell my grandkids one day when we are driving my used pickup truck and they ask when football used to be great,  now they are forced to watch coed NFL touch football.

Best regards, 
The Bondsman

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #416 on: September 09, 2016, 05:23:48 PM »

That checks all the boxes: late, crown of the head, launching, targeting or whatever you want to call it.

To be honest it does not check all the boxes.  I'm not saying it wasn't dirty, though.

In my opinion it is late, but in real time it looked closer.

It is not the crown of the helmet.  The crown is the top, not the top front. 

edit.  I saw a different angle and it does indeed look to be more of the crown, and not the front/side as it looked in that link.

Launching/targeting only protects defenseless players.  Cam was not defenseless here, and he brought the ball down and was running on that play (so no QB protection rule).  At the last minute the player broke free and he brought the ball back to throw it.  This is a judgement call by the official and in this instance I agree on Cam having made an act to be a runner. 

Now, in my opinion, the defender was trying to hurt Cam and was head hunting, I see why there is outrage especially because of some of the BS that is called roughing the passer.

But in slow motion it looks like it is technically not the crown and Cam had taken action to become a runner.  Still looks terrible though.

The problem with the rules is there is too much for interpretation.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:55:21 PM by forgetful »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #417 on: September 10, 2016, 11:22:55 AM »
Zimmer playing it coy.  Hill or Bradford?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #418 on: September 11, 2016, 11:57:22 AM »
Hill gets the start

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #419 on: September 11, 2016, 12:05:18 PM »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #420 on: September 11, 2016, 12:19:47 PM »
One series in, I'm a fan of Sitton already.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #421 on: September 11, 2016, 12:20:00 PM »
Cutler sucks

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #422 on: September 11, 2016, 02:10:42 PM »
This is likely Chris Walsh's last NFL game.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #423 on: September 11, 2016, 02:13:44 PM »
This is likely Chris Walsh's last NFL game.

Blair Walsh's too :)

At least he made the 50-yarder...

yuck.. the missed PAT just hurts. Hope we can pull this one out (nh)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #424 on: September 11, 2016, 02:15:50 PM »
Thanks JayCee.