collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17  (Read 253324 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: NFC North/NFL Thread 2016-17
« Reply #375 on: September 06, 2016, 07:24:18 PM »
I'm curious to know what you think Ted had a plan for his LG. Lane Taylor is not a good plan in my opinion.

Lane Taylor until Linsley comes back.  Then Tretter to guard.

If Taylor doesn't work out, and Linsley is too hurt, move Bulaga inside and start the new guy at tackle. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #376 on: September 06, 2016, 07:29:38 PM »

Lane Taylor until Linsley comes back.  Then Tretter to guard.

If Taylor doesn't work out, and Linsley is too hurt, move Bulaga inside and start the new guy at tackle.

I do think that's the plan but I think that's a lot of potential midseason shuffling going on. I don't know. Never really played competitive football and certainly never on the line so maybe it's easier than I think it'd be. Guess we'll see.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #377 on: September 06, 2016, 09:02:16 PM »
I'm curious to know what you think Ted had a plan for his LG. Lane Taylor is not a good plan in my opinion.

Minnesota will be okay. Absolute worst case is 7 wins and 10 if things go perfect. Most likely somewhere in the middle.

What I think is happening is that Ted is working on ARodg's contract and views Taylor as 'ready enough' in consultation with McCarthy. $6 MM is a bunch for a LG.  I disagree with you that 7 wins is 'worst case' for the Vikings.  Remember that they play the 1st place schedule.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #378 on: September 06, 2016, 09:08:05 PM »
The Derrick Wilson of Quarterbacks.

Well done.

That's point number 2 for you this week.  And you didn't even need to gig wades on this one. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #379 on: September 06, 2016, 09:12:23 PM »
Here's the problem for the Vikings.  They're trying to incorporate a QB on the fly. That's going to cost them for at least the first half. On the flip side, Packers fans are in a tizzy because Ted planned and dumped his LG. Pretty big difference.  It'll be interesting to see if Minny can muster enough success to challenge for a WC slot. My gut says no. To do so they'll need to go 4-0 against the Bears/Lions.

Agreed.  And it isn't as though they're trying to incorporate a proven QB - they're trying to incorporate a guy who has underachieved his entire career, is used to losing, and has a history of injuries.  Not exactly a recipe for a Super Bowl run.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #380 on: September 06, 2016, 09:28:16 PM »
What I think is happening is that Ted is working on ARodg's contract and views Taylor as 'ready enough' in consultation with McCarthy. $6 MM is a bunch for a LG.  I disagree with you that 7 wins is 'worst case' for the Vikings.  Remember that they play the 1st place schedule.

What I think is happening is that there were problems in the locker room.  There is absolutely no way they would have simply cut him at the last minute and gotten nothing for him.  TT would have been trying to deal him earlier if the long term plans didn't include him.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #381 on: September 06, 2016, 09:38:16 PM »

What I think is happening is that there were problems in the locker room.  There is absolutely no way they would have simply cut him at the last minute and gotten nothing for him.  TT would have been trying to deal him earlier if the long term plans didn't include him.

Truth in that I'm sure. As McCarthy said, complicated.

brandx

« Reply #382 on: September 06, 2016, 11:20:53 PM »

I'm guessing you are right.

Another factor that made it easier to do now is that this would have been his last year in GB no matter what. Ted has shown that guards are not at the top of his priority list - he's not going to re-sign a 31+ year old guard with a bad back to a big contract. Josh found out he was not in the long-term plan and may have started to become a distraction when GB was negotiating with other guys but didn't want to open negotiations with him.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #383 on: September 06, 2016, 11:48:25 PM »
Exactly.

I have no idea where this idea that Cutler is a changed player came from.  He's not changed at all.  What has changed is that the players around him have gotten worse.  So he might look better because the talent around him isn't as good, so compared to them he's great, but that doesn't mean he's actually gotten better.

He's still bad.  He just has a coach who's on his second go around with him and understands that he needs to take the ball out of his hands as much as possible if he wants to win.  Unfortunately for him, even doing that, he doesn't have the hands to put the ball in to carry his team to a lot of wins.

::)

The level of talent on a team also includes the defense and special teams. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #384 on: September 07, 2016, 08:37:50 AM »
Was listening to Wilde on Homer's show last night and I thought a good point was made. They have no evidence that any of rumored locker room events occurred, but there definitely seems cause to believe something changed in the last couple of weeks. If Sitton wasn't in the long term plans AND getting cut was an option prior to camp, that concept would have been floated in media leaks over the summer. The Packers organization is a savvy organization, they know how to play the game.

So if we start with that assumption lets layer a few other facts:
-Thompson loves compensatory picks and Sitton(if he played well) would have netted a very high one when he signed somewhere else
-there is significant downside risk now with unproven options at LG
-They did nothing with camp to prepare a new LG to replace Sitton (either in preseason games or who played with the 1s in drills)

All of that points to something significant changing in the last week....not sure what, but I think this move speaks to more than just football performance.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #385 on: September 07, 2016, 08:47:09 AM »
::)

The level of talent on a team also includes the defense and special teams.

Who said it didn't?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #386 on: September 07, 2016, 09:27:51 AM »
Was listening to Wilde on Homer's show last night and I thought a good point was made. They have no evidence that any of rumored locker room events occurred, but there definitely seems cause to believe something changed in the last couple of weeks. If Sitton wasn't in the long term plans AND getting cut was an option prior to camp, that concept would have been floated in media leaks over the summer. The Packers organization is a savvy organization, they know how to play the game.

-Thompson loves compensatory picks and Sitton(if he played well) would have netted a very high one when he signed somewhere else
-They did nothing with camp to prepare a new LG to replace Sitton (either in preseason games or who played with the 1s in drills)

All of that points to something significant changing in the last week....not sure what, but I think this move speaks to more than just football performance.

That is exactly right.  TT is too smart to either not deal him earlier OR simply hold on to him and let him leave.  SOMETHING changed, and it is something not directly football related.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #387 on: September 07, 2016, 10:14:29 AM »
Yes, my intentions are to really hurt you with my scathing comments.

I'm not Cutler apologist.  I never said he he was a great QB or that he didn't earn his sh*tty reputation.  It was well-deserved.  But it's simply not the case anymore so what's the issue with calling someone out on that?  Your comments were lazy. 

He also has a foundation for kids with diabetes and does a lot of under the radar charity work from what I understand.  What a loser.

I will let you have the last word ... and also will be happy to let you have Jay Cutler. Thanks for the conversation.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #388 on: September 07, 2016, 10:22:01 AM »

Agreed.  But it would seem counterproductive for Sitton to do anything but bust his butt in a contract year. As an example, Lang is in the same boat. I'm guessing the story will eventually come out.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #389 on: September 07, 2016, 10:28:36 AM »
A co-worker came in saying he heard Wilde on the radio this AM telling a story about Sitton calling a team mate the N word after a practice altercation. He stated Clinton-Dix and someone else confronted Sitton but now deny the story ever happened. Wilde stated an 'insider' confirmed the incident to him as true.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #390 on: September 07, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »
A co-worker came in saying he heard Wilde on the radio this AM telling a story about Sitton calling a team mate the N word after a practice altercation. He stated Clinton-Dix and someone else confronted Sitton but now deny the story ever happened. Wilde stated an 'insider' confirmed the incident to him as true.

Well if that's the case then good for Mac and Ted.

As a somewhat aside, Rodgers had to approve of this, right?  I mean, he's been protecting Rodgers for his whole career.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #391 on: September 07, 2016, 11:04:13 AM »

I didn't hear Wilde this morning...last night he told that story but within the context of that's the story that's been reported via social media but it had not been confirmed by anyone. I'm curious if he was still qualifying it that way this morning or if he shifted to this is fact based on insiders.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #392 on: September 07, 2016, 11:05:22 AM »
Well if that's the case then good for Mac and Ted.

As a somewhat aside, Rodgers had to approve of this, right?  I mean, he's been protecting Rodgers for his whole career.

The other social media report was that Rodgers and Sitton weren't exactly tight. But yes, in principal Rodgers would have to ok with any plan that impacts the O-line.....and that's why this has to be non-football related.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #393 on: September 07, 2016, 12:43:49 PM »
Interesting.  If it's a one off deal and followed by an immediate heartfelt apology,  everyone moves on. But if there's been any behavior pattern......

McCarthy did mention protecting the locker room.  Maybe Sitton felt emboldened knowing this was his last year in GB.

If true,  it's the right move.  For a very long time black athletes weren't comfortable coming to the Packers.  That's all different now and that comfort needs to be protected. We're all only green/gold.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #394 on: September 08, 2016, 08:57:23 PM »
Coincidence the one player who didn't stand for the National Anthem got knocked out of the game with a concussion in the first quarter?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #395 on: September 08, 2016, 11:09:15 PM »
Apparently concussion protocol is optional.

I'm also convinced Cam was concussed late in the second quarter, and that's partly why the second half was radically different for the Panthers offense.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #396 on: September 09, 2016, 05:33:30 AM »
I understand 1 game doesn't a qb make, but that 7th round, 200something pick looked a lot better than many top draft choices.  Someone was doing their homework and coaching
don't...don't don't don't don't

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #397 on: September 09, 2016, 07:06:28 AM »
Apparently concussion protocol is optional.

I'm also convinced Cam was concussed late in the second quarter, and that's partly why the second half was radically different for the Panthers offense.

The protocol is optional and apparently calling helmet to helmet hits on a QB are optional as well. Cam got rocked at least 4 times that I can remember, if not more. I'm betting the "emphasis" on the rule will be re-exerted come Sunday.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #398 on: September 09, 2016, 07:39:02 AM »
The protocol is optional and apparently calling helmet to helmet hits on a QB are optional as well. Cam got rocked at least 4 times that I can remember, if not more. I'm betting the "emphasis" on the rule will be re-exerted come Sunday.

Well that is the actual rule, if the QB is viewed as trying to advance the ball as a runner, they lose all special protections (including helmet to helmet) of being a QB.  It is up to the officials to determine whether the QB began the act of being a runner.

Cam, often switches between being a runner and passer, he is going to get more helmet to helmet hits because of this.  If He and Carolina do not like it, they should not use him so much as a runner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #399 on: September 09, 2016, 07:40:14 AM »
I understand 1 game doesn't a qb make, but that 7th round, 200something pick looked a lot better than many top draft choices.  Someone was doing their homework and coaching

Wait til u c my boi Sam Bradford!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback