[Today at 11:12:06 AM]

[Paint Touches] Love in the time of the Portal Kombat by frozena pizza
[Today at 08:33:37 AM]

Welcome Jack Anderson! by Jay Bee
[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Top 40 Defense  (Read 11540 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Top 40 Defense
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2022, 05:35:35 PM »
Marquette has played a very tough schedule and I am assuming that has a negative effect on our defense ranking. Our defense would look even better if our competition was much weaker.

The KenPom defensive rating is adjusted for competition, so schedule strength is factored in there

And it's now at 23, which I am pleased with! As advertised.

Top 10 over the recent stretch according to that Paint Touches tweet

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2022, 05:41:44 PM »
Lucky enough to be courtside  Wed. at the Rock. Our defensive intensity, esp. the first half,  was impressive. Hall didn't match it. Bit of a letup second half, but picked it up again when they made a run. In the first half, they got nothing, and when they got it inside Kur was Eberhard Faber @rim.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2022, 06:17:29 PM »
Lucky enough to be courtside  Wed. at the Rock. Our defensive intensity, esp. the first half,  was impressive. Hall didn't match it. Bit of a letup second half, but picked it up again when they made a run. In the first half, they got nothing, and when they got it inside Kur was Eberhard Faber @rim.

A lot of the 2nd letup really was due to careless turnovers by MU on offense.

Sturgeon General Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2022, 11:28:00 PM »
Our defensive intensity, esp. the first half,  was impressive.

Agreed. We gave up 10 offensive rebounds in the first half and still held SH to 21 points, which is crazy. Makes you wonder what the ceiling is for this team if we could cut down some of the opponent extra possessions.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2022, 05:07:54 AM »
Agreed. We gave up 10 offensive rebounds in the first half and still held SH to 21 points, which is crazy. Makes you wonder what the ceiling is for this team if we could cut down some of the opponent extra possessions.

One of the stats the team tracks is the ratio of offensive rebounds to opponent turnovers. Basically under the premise that while they're getting extra possessions on the glass, you're taking those back through turnovers.

Marquette is 10-3 when they create more turnovers than offensive rebounds allowed, 1-0 when it's tied, and 4-3 when they create fewer turnovers than offensive rebounds allowed.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Sturgeon General Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2022, 08:03:43 AM »
One of the stats the team tracks is the ratio of offensive rebounds to opponent turnovers. Basically under the premise that while they're getting extra possessions on the glass, you're taking those back through turnovers.

Marquette is 10-3 when they create more turnovers than offensive rebounds allowed, 1-0 when it's tied, and 4-3 when they create fewer turnovers than offensive rebounds allowed.

That’s interesting. Is the implication that the defensive style of trying to force turnovers leaves you out of position to get defensive rebounds? I can see tracking that stat if you’re playing a high risk high reward defensive scheme but I’m not sure that’s what Marquette is doing (sell out for steals etc.) Otherwise that stat just seems like “yeah we gave up a bunch of offensive boards but we created more turnovers so we’re good”

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2022, 08:09:28 AM »
That’s interesting. Is the implication that the defensive style of trying to force turnovers leaves you out of position to get defensive rebounds? I can see tracking that stat if you’re playing a high risk high reward defensive scheme but I’m not sure that’s what Marquette is doing (sell out for steals etc.) Otherwise that stat just seems like “yeah we gave up a bunch of offensive boards but we created more turnovers so we’re good”
Actually yes I think they're going high risk high reward, and yes the aggressive inside D creates lots of offensive rebound opportunities but leaves us out of position.
Goal is National Championship

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2022, 08:57:46 AM »

Honestly not sure. Rebounding is clearly the weakness of this team, and I've never felt forcing live ball turnovers was the intent as you'd see with a team like St John's or even Shaka's VCU teams.

Often I feel like we give up what end up being meaningless offensive boards. What I mean by that is a team will get 1, 2, 3 offensive boards on a single possession and we still end up getting the stop. I appreciate that this team stays connected even when that happens and is able to string stops.

This was just something I heard coming from the Athletics office (the OReb to turnover ratio, that is).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2022, 09:02:09 AM »
We still have far too many occasions where MU players don't find a body and box out and/or where our guards don't help rebound.

I like to think that maybe giving up O rebounds and forcing turnovers is somehow connected but as I sit here today it sounds like a "feel good" stat.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2022, 09:35:16 AM »
A lot of the 2nd letup really was due to careless turnovers by MU on offense.
and bad shots.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2022, 09:39:04 AM »
We still have far too many occasions where MU players don't find a body and box out and/or where our guards don't help rebound.

I like to think that maybe giving up O rebounds and forcing turnovers is somehow connected but as I sit here today it sounds like a "feel good" stat.

Agreed. While I get the possession aspect, it seems a bit unrelated, though I suppose no different from assist to turnover ratio.

Sturgeon General Warrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2022, 11:49:52 AM »

This is my impression as well. One thing I’m curious about is guards closing out on shooters, especially on threes, we tend jump and fly by to contest the shot. Is this something players are coached to do? Seems like it completely takes you out of position for long rebounds and doesn’t affect the shooter any more than just trying to face check.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2022, 12:45:17 PM »
MU is getting out rebounded and the opponents are shooting more free throws.   
IMO, there are two factors at play with the rebounding.    One, with the exception of Lewis, MU's length is skinny.   Two,  MU emphasizes the perimeter pressure and transition so much that it is not automatic for all 5 to collapse and crash.

First world problems.  You have to have something to worry about or you aren't a real fan.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2022, 01:23:23 PM »
This is my impression as well. One thing I’m curious about is guards closing out on shooters, especially on threes, we tend jump and fly by to contest the shot. Is this something players are coached to do? Seems like it completely takes you out of position for long rebounds and doesn’t affect the shooter any more than just trying to face check.

Fly-bys are not part of close-out defense taught at any level I know of. You are supposed to approach the offensive player with choppy steps at the end, hand high. I can see an occasion where you are desperately trying to close out and the fly-by is the only way to avoid a foul, but having to do that is usually a sign of poor defensive positioning to begin with. I'd be curious to hear what Shaka says about that.

During the mic'd up game, Shaka could be heard urging "all 5 guys to the boards." I'm guessing that's not the only time this season he's had to remind them.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2022, 03:48:42 PM »
The Bucks started coaching the fly by perimeter contest last year. And then won a title. Maybe Shaka and staff picked Budenholzer’s brain on it given they share a building.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2022, 03:57:32 PM »
The Bucks started coaching the fly by perimeter contest last year. And then won a title. Maybe Shaka and staff picked Budenholzer’s brain on it given they share a building.

NBA teams are filled with shooters, and the court is more spread out because the line is deeper. Defenders are farther away and have longer to run on close-outs. NBA refs are more likely to call 3-shot fouls, too.

But maybe Shaka got his cue from Bud. It would be great to ask him.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2022, 04:55:16 PM »
NBA teams are filled with shooters, and the court is more spread out because the line is deeper. Defenders are farther away and have longer to run on close-outs. NBA refs are more likely to call 3-shot fouls, too.

But maybe Shaka got his cue from Bud. It would be great to ask him.

NBA trends trickle down to college all the time. And college and pro coaches discuss strategy all the time.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2022, 06:38:50 PM »
NBA trends trickle down to college all the time. And college and pro coaches discuss strategy all the time.

Agreed. About this particular thing, we'll never know unless Shaka either volunteers that information or is asked about it.

But it doesn't help our rebounding to have our defender flying out of bounds rather than doing a classic close-out followed by a box-out.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2022, 02:00:47 PM »
Another GREAT defensive effort despite the loss.

54, 64, 63, 65

That’s the points allowed in the last 4 games against Villanova, X, SH, Providence with 3 on the road.

The rebounding margins were
-9, -3, 0, -9 in the 4 games.

Find a way to clean up the boards and this defense becomes ELITE.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2022, 02:43:38 PM »
Another GREAT defensive effort despite the loss.

54, 64, 63, 65

That’s the points allowed in the last 4 games against Villanova, X, SH, Providence with 3 on the road.

The rebounding margins were
-9, -3, 0, -9 in the 4 games.

Find a way to clean up the boards and this defense becomes ELITE.
2nd half 40+ pts allowed and 22 second chance pts to 1 = no bueno
Goal is National Championship

fjm

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2022, 05:57:09 PM »

That isnt good.

But the rugged up thing!? We only
Lost by 2. Our D is that good. Stop those 2nd chance points.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2022, 06:32:01 PM »

17-1 in the 2nd half. Ugh

The reality is, though, Shaka's teams are average to below average at offensive and defensive rebounding rates. This team may be his worst. That said, the emphasis on long defensive possessions (ranked 328th fastest or 31st slowest) is why MU is #22 overall best defense.  Let's hope for improvement on rebounding but know it's not an emphasis.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2022, 06:36:17 PM »
They had been emphasizing the defense creating more turnovers than offensive rebounds allowed.   

Not today.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2022, 06:40:08 PM »
They had been emphasizing the defense creating more turnovers than offensive rebounds allowed.   

Not today.

+1

I believe they exceeded the 32 deflections magic number today. To start the year, Shaka said he only has lost once when they exceeded that number (a hot shooting Crean I4) team. Now he has lost to Creighton and today against PC while exceeding. Those missed rebounds matter.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2022, 11:55:10 PM »
The KenPom defensive rating is adjusted for competition, so schedule strength is factored in there

And it's now at 23, which I am pleased with! As advertised.

Top 10 over the recent stretch according to that Paint Touches tweet

Back down to #47 per Pomeroy.  Need to pick it up again, and all will be better.

Oddly, currently both Pomeroy and Torvic say MUs offense is (ranked) better than the D.  Which is REALLY surprising given the way the season started.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 11:57:14 PM by rocky_warrior »