Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Todd Mayo GONE ?  (Read 45817 times)

Bocephys

• All American
Re: Todd Mayo GONE ?
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2012, 01:36:39 PM »
Is this the part where we start attacking each other yet?

Madtownwarrior is already on top of it. Next up, fishing and iPhones.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »
madtown

You have mentioned SLU reference 100x since my last mention of it. Not exactly sure how that gets your rocks off. In addition, I wish you would state my stance that I want MU to be UNC or Kentucky as often as SLU reference. I can assure you no one on this board wants to see program continue upward trend more than me.

Bashing me hardly bothers me. Reading your non stop posts on comments I made in April and March just seems crazy to me. The mod pointed out two weeks ago that your SLU posts were old and yet they continue.

JD

• All American
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »
Is this the part where we start attacking each other yet?

Yep,  Hey Skat, F*(# You!

^Sarcasm
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2012, 01:47:07 PM »
Where do you get that his suspension has been lifted?...

I tried to be careful in my wording. I don't know if this for sure means he's good to go for next year, but it would be awesome if true. Also, I said it wouldn't shock me if that means the suspension is lifted due to as Sultan said, Mark Miller saying he is eligible. Everything here has been speculated that Mayo was suspended due to academic troubles (word of the suspension came out with in the last few days, but while I have no sources, I'm guessing he was suspended well before that due to his lack of involvement in team activities).

I think it's still vague enough to not guarantee that he is suited up for the first game, at least I'm trying to be careful not to jump to fast to that conclusion. However, it definitely seems like good news since there has been a lot of speculation about him here.  

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
Re: Todd Mayo GONE
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2012, 01:48:37 PM »
Some have been screaming for professional PR.   This is what professional PR does.

Do you want "professional" or "upfront" PR. Professional PR pretty much states that you put out the bad news on Friday. People who are close to the news good or bad will care. But the outliers, or in this case, casual fans, don't see it. They totally miss it.

You "hide" the bad and announce the good on a Tuesday or Wednesday

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2012, 01:52:33 PM »
Yep,  Hey Skat, F*(# You!

^Sarcasm

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
Do you want "professional" or "upfront" PR. Professional PR pretty much states that you put out the bad news on Friday. People who are close to the news good or bad will care. But the outliers, or in this case, casual fans, don't see it. They totally miss it.

You "hide" the bad and announce the good on a Tuesday or Wednesday

I agree Niv.  I was only pointing out that some(many?) have asked for professional PR, and releasing bad news on a Friday is just that.

We are getting what we asked for.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »
I agree Niv.  I was only pointing out that some(many?) have asked for professional PR, and releasing bad news on a Friday is just that.

We are getting what we asked for.

Personally, I applaud that fully. There are going to be bad and distasteful things, that's just the nature of the beast. I don't think it's too much to hope that those things be handled in a professional manner.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2012, 03:10:29 PM »
You know what the word "maybe" means, right?

Yes.

Sorry, was that a rhetorical question?

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2012, 04:18:32 PM »
I hear Mayo left campus to go fishing for the summer.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2012, 04:20:40 PM »
I heard Mayo's starting a Real Chili restaurant on the West Coast with his bro.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2012, 04:27:43 PM »
Goose - you are the dick that attacked me first and then followed up with a reference to lab warrior and I being the same...   then the SLU slam came out...

in fact, most of my responses to you have been after a slam by you....  (i.e - you made the first attack on the Buzz picnic thread)...

I will treat you the same as you treat me (besides thinking you're an idiot for single-handedly creating a 100 page thread on buzz leaving)...

madtown

You have mentioned SLU reference 100x since my last mention of it. Not exactly sure how that gets your rocks off. In addition, I wish you would state my stance that I want MU to be UNC or Kentucky as often as SLU reference. I can assure you no one on this board wants to see program continue upward trend more than me.

Bashing me hardly bothers me. Reading your non stop posts on comments I made in April and March just seems crazy to me. The mod pointed out two weeks ago that your SLU posts were old and yet they continue.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 04:36:09 PM by madtownwarrior »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2012, 05:55:10 PM »
Which is why I mentioned in the first place that it's not necessarily about Mayo qualifying or not qualifying. Passing grades don't make you a good student or, in this case, a good enough student to participate with the basketball team.

Hmmm....so Mayo sounds to be NCAA standards good/eligible, yet he's not good enough for MU's standards, and Buzz really wants one of his guys suspended and away from the program indefinitely so he and the other coaching staff cannot be supportive.  Makes a lot of sense.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2012, 06:03:18 PM »
I believe he is going home for a week and will be back to start the 2nd summer session that starts on July 9th.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2012, 06:51:16 PM »
Professional PR is blatantly obvious I guess, imo.    Insulting most media savvy people.

In today's world of 247 fast media I'm not sure a friday evening send off is that effective anymore.

Effective for whom?

Release it on a Friday and you have the weekend to avoid talking to the media because you're not in the office.

Add to this July 4th week and some people can conveniently take a vacation and come back to this a week later.

As for the rest of us, we just stew on Scoop and speculate or wait.
SS Marquette

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2012, 06:59:35 PM »
So he's just suspended and not leaving? Thanks for posting.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »
Hmmm....so Mayo sounds to be NCAA standards good/eligible, yet he's not good enough for MU's standards, and Buzz really wants one of his guys suspended and away from the program indefinitely so he and the other coaching staff cannot be supportive.  Makes a lot of sense.

Maybe he was skipping classes or something.  Don't read something into it that isn't there.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »
Effective for whom?

Pretty much the entire general public. News ratings take a serious hit on Friday and Saturday, and the logic that a story like this will have run its course by Sunday is pretty accurate. Sure, people that avidly follow the story or the 24-hour news cycle will catch it, but what percentage of the population is that? Maybe 5%? It's just like the story out of Oklahoma that had documented proof that ESPN was telling the Big XII to add Notre Dame despite ESPN's earlier refutations that they ever tell conferences what to do. It was the smoking gun, but because it hit at the same time as the 4-team playoff, no one noticed and the newspaper that had it didn't even push the story. Died before it got off the ground, and I would guess 99% of sports fans even know the story existed, because lord knows ESPN won't be reporting it if they don't absolutely have to.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2012, 09:14:29 PM »
Professional PR is blatantly obvious I guess, imo.    Insulting most media savvy people.

In today's world of 247 fast media I'm not sure a friday evening send off is that effective anymore.

It seems to me that several members here, myself included, now wait on Fridays to confirm or deny bad news rumors, so I'd have to agree that the effectiveness of this strategy could use some reevaluation.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2012, 09:17:50 PM »

I have no idea if this post is sarcastic or not. However, based on Ners' history, I have to assume that he really believes this.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »
Hmmm....so Mayo sounds to be NCAA standards good/eligible, yet he's not good enough for MU's standards, and Buzz really wants one of his guys suspended and away from the program indefinitely so he and the other coaching staff cannot be supportive.  Makes a lot of sense.

If this were the doing of someone other than Buzz Williams, how do you explain Buzz's comment that he's the one who decides when Mayo comes off suspension?

LW: "Buzz, we're going to force you to suspend Todd Mayo. But you get to decide when he's no longer suspended."
BW: (pauses three seconds) "OK, Todd is no longer suspended."
LW: "D'oh!"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »
I have no idea if this post is sarcastic or not. However, based on Ners' history, I have to assume that he really believes this.

To think, I was there on Friday, June 29, 2012 at MUScoop when the academic discipline of Nerstory was born!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:52:45 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2012, 12:06:21 AM »

Why don't you comment on what I posted?  Another case of when you can't attack the argument, attack the individual??

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:17:43 AM by Ners »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2012, 12:17:26 AM »
If this were the doing of someone other than Buzz Williams, how do you explain Buzz's comment that he's the one who decides when Mayo comes off suspension?

LW: "Buzz, we're going to force you to suspend Todd Mayo. But you get to decide when he's no longer suspended."
BW: (pauses three seconds) "OK, Todd is no longer suspended."
LW: "D'oh!"

Does any of what Buzz said make sense in response to the Mayo suspension??  Here are all of his quotes on the matter:
He’s suspended,” said Williams. “That’s it. No specific incident. Nothing like that, but he is suspended.”

Asked how long the suspension would continue, Williams said, “I don’t know that. I don’t know what the final answer to that will be.

“He hasn’t taken part in anything we’ve done all summer long. I haven’t necessarily tried to hide that, but yes, he’s suspended.”

And so, Williams will decide when the time is right for Mayo’s suspension to be lifted?”

“That’s correct,” said Williams.

So - Let's get this straight - Todd is suspended for "no specific incident, nothing like that, but he is suspended."  Furthermore, Buzz when asked how long the suspension would continue said:  "I don't know that,  I don't know what the final answer will be?"  What final answer is Buzz referring to??  Perhaps that given to him from those above?  Yet, Buzz is in full control as to when he is reinstated??  Let's not forget the backdrop to all of this is the rumors of academic struggles, the rumors that MU's eligibility standards have increased, and we have knowledge that Todd is apparently NCAA academically eligible...

As someone wrote in another thread...you can lead the horse to water.....lots of thirsty horses around here.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2012, 12:47:21 AM »
This thread makes me wish I drank more at Summerfest tonight...

And I drank a LOT...
Relax. Respect the Process.