collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 169406 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #1025 on: October 16, 2016, 11:56:48 PM »
I guess it's a good thing Maddon disagreed or the Cubbies might be down 2-0 right now.

And for those who thought Kershaw might have nothing left in the tank ... vroom vroom.

Curious to see if the Dodgers bring him back for Game 5 on 3 days rest.

If they are down 3-1 I think he absolutely throws in Game 5.

I like the Cubs haters getting all loud about curses and whatnot after they lose 1-0 to the best pitcher in baseball over the last 5 years.  The bats need to come alive, but they have Arrieta vs Rich Hill on Tuesday to get back on the home field footing, all is not lost.

Despite all of that, Baez is absolutely electric.  My god is he fun to watch.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1026 on: October 16, 2016, 11:59:25 PM »
It was a joke dude.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1027 on: October 17, 2016, 08:16:17 AM »
It was a joke dude.

It wasn't directed at you.  I saw enough chirping on other social media.  People are crazy.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1028 on: October 17, 2016, 10:10:28 AM »

Why?

Interleague took away from the specialty of the All-Star Game and World Series.  You could argue it also contributed to the home field advantage rule in the All-Star game as well. There also was no issue with the DH when both leagues were separate.

My main complaint though is from a scheduling standpoint.  If everyone played everybody I wouldn't mind as much, but the whole natural rival thing is a joke.  An example would be the Cardinals have to play a good Royal team while the Cubs get to play a weaker White Sox team.

The only thing Bud did right was the three division setup.  Nearly everything else I disagree with.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1029 on: October 17, 2016, 11:20:35 AM »
Interleague took away from the specialty of the All-Star Game and World Series.

This is where I think interleague really sucks.  Let's say the Cubs play the Indians in the '16 World Series.  You'd only have to go back one season to view a history between the two teams, (Arrieta lost to Bauer at Wrigley 6-0 in June of '15).  The uniqueness of the match-up is completely gone.

I know all other sports play across leagues, but I don't like other sports.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1030 on: October 17, 2016, 11:59:29 AM »
I don't mean this as a shot, but it does bug me that no crowd in baseball gets more excited for a soft pop up to the outfield like a Wrigley crowd. Every fly ball off the bat isn't going out to Waveland.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #1031 on: October 17, 2016, 12:05:42 PM »
I don't mean this as a shot, but it does bug me that no crowd in baseball gets more excited for a soft pop up to the outfield like a Wrigley crowd. Every fly ball off the bat isn't going out to Waveland.

I went to a game at Fenway two years ago, and actually thought they were worse.  Excited people get excited.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1032 on: October 17, 2016, 12:06:55 PM »

No, Miller Park is worse overall. Last night there were a lot of idiots last night though, I was fooled on that AR uppercut swing.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: October 17, 2016, 03:25:11 PM »
I've always thought the same about the Wrigley crowd, but I noticed the San Francisco crowd was doing the same during the NLCS.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1034 on: October 17, 2016, 03:38:39 PM »
It could be I didn't pay close enough attention to other games, but last night seemed over the top. I'll have to watch other cities to see if it's similar.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1035 on: October 17, 2016, 03:56:56 PM »
I grew up a WGN watching, Jack Brickhouse listening, Dave Kingman, 23-22 games watching Cubs fan.    I was always more of a Tigers fan, though.    My loyalty to the Cubs disintegrated in the autumn of my freshman year, 1984, when I met real Chicago fans.  My dislike of Cub nation has only been reinforced by my trips to Wrigley, the world's biggest outdoor sports bar where people are there to be seen and not to actually watch baseball, as well as the Bartman debacle.   I am honestly torn between wanting to see the curse ended and the dread of what Cubs nation will be like if it does.    You thought the Red Sox nation was insufferable when their curse ended?    Mouse nuts compared to what will happen if the Cubs break their curse. 

So, yes, Cub fan was wetting himself over every medium deep fly ball last night.   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 05:07:18 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: October 17, 2016, 04:08:09 PM »
I grew up a WGN watching, Jack Brickhouse listening, Dave Kingman, 23-22 games watching Cubs fan.    I was always more of a Tigers fan, though.    My loyalty to the Cubs disintegrated in the autumn of my freshman year, 1984, when I met real Chicago fans.  My dislike of Cub nation as only been reinforced by my trips to Wrigley, the world's biggest outdoor sports gay bar where people are there to be seen and not to actually watch baseball, as well as the Bartman debacle.   I am honestly torn between wanting to see the curse ended and the dread of what Cubs nation will be like if it does.    You thought the Red Sox nation was insufferable when their curse ended?    Mouse nuts compared to what will happen if the Cubs break their curse. 

So, yes, Cub fan was wetting himself over every medium deep fly ball last night.   

FIFY.

Relax people it's a joke.

All teams' fans go nuts over routine fly balls to the outfield.  It happens in literally every stadium.  But even Kershaw thought he might've given up a home run to Baez last night.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: October 17, 2016, 05:53:37 PM »
I grew up a WGN watching, Jack Brickhouse listening, Dave Kingman, 23-22 games watching Cubs fan.    I was always more of a Tigers fan, though.    My loyalty to the Cubs disintegrated in the autumn of my freshman year, 1984, when I met real Chicago fans.  My dislike of Cub nation has only been reinforced by my trips to Wrigley, the world's biggest outdoor sports bar where people are there to be seen and not to actually watch baseball, as well as the Bartman debacle.   I am honestly torn between wanting to see the curse ended and the dread of what Cubs nation will be like if it does.    You thought the Red Sox nation was insufferable when their curse ended?    Mouse nuts compared to what will happen if the Cubs break their curse. 

The narrative that Cubs fans aren't real fans aren't is tired and simply not true. Every fan base has its share of idiots and Wrigley certainly plays a part in attendance. On the whole the fans want to win, they care, and are knowledgeable.

FIFY.

Relax people it's a joke.

All teams' fans go nuts over routine fly balls to the outfield.  It happens in literally every stadium.  But even Kershaw thought he might've given up a home run to Baez last night.

Maybe next time focus on making the joke, oh, I don't know, funny. That has nothing to do with sensitivity. It was just stupid, and not in a clever way.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: October 17, 2016, 06:06:51 PM »
The narrative that Cubs fans aren't real fans aren't is tired and simply not true. Every fan base has its share of idiots and Wrigley certainly plays a part in attendance. On the whole the fans want to win, they care, and are knowledgeable.

Maybe next time focus on making the joke, oh, I don't know, funny. That has nothing to do with sensitivity. It was just stupid, and not in a clever way.

Oh.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #1039 on: October 17, 2016, 08:09:47 PM »
Oh.
*Me reading the x out and insert*
really? we're going there?
*Me after reading "relax people it's a joke*
Wow, i'm way too serious.  That makes it even funnier.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1040 on: October 17, 2016, 08:13:38 PM »
Interesting hearing the mic'd up umpire tonight pronounce there to be too much blood from Bauer's torn stitches.    What is "too much"?    What would have been an acceptable amount?   If there was a spot of blood on the ball, wouldn't it make it easier to pick up the spin?      Is there a clear directive in the MLB rules?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1041 on: October 17, 2016, 08:38:27 PM »
  Is there a clear directive in the MLB rules?

Yes.  The ball cannot be discolored. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1042 on: October 17, 2016, 09:03:47 PM »
If they are down 3-1 I think he absolutely throws in Game 5.

I like the Cubs haters getting all loud about curses and whatnot after they lose 1-0 to the best pitcher in baseball over the last 5 years.  The bats need to come alive, but they have Arrieta vs Rich Hill on Tuesday to get back on the home field footing, all is not lost.

Despite all of that, Baez is absolutely electric.  My god is he fun to watch.

Baez reminds me of a young, pre-spit-in-face Robbie Alomar.

It would be something if Rich Hill beats the Cubs once or twice given his history there. Cubs need Good Arrieta to show up, not Mediocre Arrieta.

The Cubs are the far superior team and I expect them to reach and then win the World Series.

Wow. I can't believe I just typed that last paragraph.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: October 17, 2016, 09:13:53 PM »
Baez reminds me of a young, pre-spit-in-face Robbie Alomar.

It would be something if Rich Hill beats the Cubs once or twice given his history there. Cubs need Good Arrieta to show up, not Mediocre Arrieta.

The Cubs are the far superior team and I expect them to reach and then win the World Series.

Wow. I can't believe I just typed that last paragraph.

If the Cubs' bats finally start to wake up, even if it's Mediocre Arrieta, they'll win easily.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: October 17, 2016, 09:33:30 PM »
If the Cubs' bats finally start to wake up, even if it's Mediocre Arrieta, they'll win easily.

OK ... but the other team also has good pitchers. After scoring 8000 runs in the ALDS, the Blue Jays are finding that out, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1045 on: October 17, 2016, 10:24:21 PM »
OK ... but the other team also has good pitchers. After scoring 8000 runs in the ALDS, the Blue Jays are finding that out, too.

Except the Dodgers kinda don't past Kershaw. Urias will probably be good, but isn't yet.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: October 17, 2016, 10:47:23 PM »
Long ways to go, but a slow burn of a narrative has potential to play itself out...

The player that might cost the Cubs the World Series isn't even on their playoff roster.

Did the Cubs make a gigantic mistake in not trading Schwarber for Miller?

This will be interesting to see play out, as the Tribe inch closer to winning the pennant and as the Cubs remaining season unfolds.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1047 on: October 17, 2016, 11:07:08 PM »
Except the Dodgers kinda don't past Kershaw. Urias will probably be good, but isn't yet.

Ummm, maybe you didn't notice the season Rich Hill has had.  Or maybe you havent noticed what has happened to the Indian's rotation.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #1048 on: October 18, 2016, 07:57:55 AM »

You got the last laugh in '84. And the first laugh, what were they like, 35-5 to open the season?

Hope your future run-in with Cubs fans is much better. I, for one, can't stand fans of any sport or team who have no problem sharing their opinion, but don't have the slightest clue what they're talking about. I enjoy watching the Blackhawks from time-to-time, but I only watch a few regular season games and the postseason. I didn't grow up watching the sport, and have no zero knowledge of the strategy. Therefore, I'll never attempt to insert myself in a conversation about hockey, but I've seen plenty of others that will all teams and sports.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: October 18, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »
It could be I didn't pay close enough attention to other games, but last night seemed over the top. I'll have to watch other cities to see if it's similar.

Much like when Jordan was leading the Bulls to titles, postseason crowds are very different than regular season crowds. The guys sitting in the first few rows behind home plate aren't your average, everyday, life-long Cub fan. They're typically someone who knows someone or some rich guy who dropped huge money to attend "an event." The lifers are more than likely in the upper deck or the bleachers.

Case in point, my brother's college friend (a doctor) attended Game 1 with his wife. He's from the east coast, has never shown much interest in baseball and his wife (a native Chicagoan) apparently asked if "The Penguin" still played for the Cubs. Yes, that would be 68yo Ron Cey who last played for the Cubs in 1986.

feedback