[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 169364 times)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #1000 on: October 14, 2016, 10:43:58 AM »
I've been thinking something similar watching these games.  Maybe a pitcher has to face at least  3 batters?  I don't mind lefty/righty strategy, or match ups, but it gets ridiculous.

I think there should be a 24-second clock for each pitch, with bats that explode if the time expires.

I don't like the NFL nor hockey; all I watch is MLB Extra Innings and MU basketball.  Every year when the playoffs roll around, casual fans speak up about what needs to be changed.  These criticisms, in part, brought in the institution of 2 wild card games, interleague play, replay challenges, and other modifications I really don't care for.

I have a a shirt which reads, "Baseball isn't boring. You are."

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1001 on: October 14, 2016, 10:57:04 AM »
Those lazy ass golfers should have to really sprint up to their next shot.  This leisurely walking BS has got to go!  I got to take a nap!   

I would legit pay if to watch if they changed golf to a race to putting the ball in the hole.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1002 on: October 14, 2016, 11:01:13 AM »
I think there should be a 24-second clock for each pitch, with bats that explode if the time expires.

I don't like the NFL nor hockey; all I watch is MLB Extra Innings and MU basketball.  Every year when the playoffs roll around, casual fans speak up about what needs to be changed.  These criticisms, in part, brought in the institution of 2 wild card games, interleague play, replay challenges, and other modifications I really don't care for.

You actually hate the wildcard (The 3 best records came from one division last year...) interleague play and replay's? As a baseball player and true fan, I am absolutely shocked by you.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #1003 on: October 14, 2016, 11:45:59 AM »
Okay Cubs fans, we basically got our wish and get the Dodgers (I wanted the Mets last year so that doesn't mean much).   On paper it looks good. They have essentially no rotation, and Kershaw hasn't looked 100%.  If he doesn't throw until game 3, we need to jump on the first two.
Would also like to see them put Zastryzny on the roster over Grimm to get as many lefties as we can in the hopper.
Hopefully a few bats wake up. Rizzo's AB's were a lot better in game 4, and if he can't turn it around, things won't get any easy for Bryant.
Should be a fun series!

brandx

« Reply #1004 on: October 14, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »

Actually, almost all of these modifications were for the same reason. More $$$$ in the owner's pockets. Fans almost never figure into the equation. As a matter of fact, Bud Selig engineered the ouster of Fay Vincent as commissioner because Fay thought fan interests should be considered in the bargaining process.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1005 on: October 14, 2016, 12:54:21 PM »
Okay Cubs fans, we basically got our wish and get the Dodgers (I wanted the Mets last year so that doesn't mean much).   On paper it looks good. They have essentially no rotation, and Kershaw hasn't looked 100%.  If he doesn't throw until game 3, we need to jump on the first two.
Would also like to see them put Zastryzny on the roster over Grimm to get as many lefties as we can in the hopper.
Hopefully a few bats wake up. Rizzo's AB's were a lot better in game 4, and if he can't turn it around, things won't get any easy for Bryant.
Should be a fun series!

I actually slightly preferred the Nats but it was a coin toss. 

Agree about Zastryzny but not at the expense of Grimm.  I would consider going with 12 pitchers instead of 11 and leave LaStella off. 

Considering LA's struggles against LHP, game 1 a big one to get considering the Lester/Maeda match up. 

Some are saying Kershaw could still go in game 2.  Part of me wonders if that might actually be better for the Cubs considering he just threw 110 pitches on short-rest and then came back in last night.  Supposedly it was his side day but he threw a ton of pitches in the bullpen.  Here's hoping he's not quite himself. 

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #1006 on: October 14, 2016, 01:10:50 PM »

Agree about Zastryzny but not at the expense of Grimm.  I would consider going with 12 pitchers instead of 11 and leave LaStella off. 

Considering LA's struggles against LHP, game 1 a big one to get considering the Lester/Maeda match up. 

Some are saying Kershaw could still go in game 2.  Part of me wonders if that might actually be better for the Cubs considering he just threw 110 pitches on short-rest and then came back in last night.  Supposedly it was his side day but he threw a ton of pitches in the bullpen.  Here's hoping he's not quite himself.

I haven't trusted Grimm in awhile. I know he was huge last year against St. Louis, but at this point I'd just as soon see Hammel come out of the pen to get an out. 
Good thought about Kershaw throwing short... maybe it's better if they tried that.... or we can just throw Arrieta against him and he can hit another 3 run jack.  Best case scenario last night would have been Dodgers winning but Kershaw having to throw 40 pitches in the 9th, and getting the final out in a 10 pitch bases loaded AB.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1007 on: October 14, 2016, 01:29:23 PM »
Come on guys, can't we all agree that we want to see the "Doyers" win so that we can see what new username Chicos/hoopaloop/oregonwarrior/./bma77 comes up with to come on here and get all squeamish?  Right?  Let's go Dodgers, right guys?!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1008 on: October 14, 2016, 02:11:00 PM »
I haven't trusted Grimm in awhile. I know he was huge last year against St. Louis, but at this point I'd just as soon see Hammel come out of the pen to get an out. 
Good thought about Kershaw throwing short... maybe it's better if they tried that.... or we can just throw Arrieta against him and he can hit another 3 run jack.  Best case scenario last night would have been Dodgers winning but Kershaw having to throw 40 pitches in the 9th, and getting the final out in a 10 pitch bases loaded AB.

Yeah, I definitely wanted to see the game last night go into extras and have Kershaw throw more pitches than he did. 

I still like Grimm's arm - he was pretty great for a stretch in the 2nd half.  I think with our versatility and all of LA's left-handed pitching we can do without LaStella.  I don't really see them making any other changes to the roster.  If Grimm was left off I wouldn't hate it.  Will be interesting to see which direction they go. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1009 on: October 14, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
You actually hate the wildcard (The 3 best records came from one division last year...) interleague play and replay's? As a baseball player and true fan, I am absolutely shocked by you.

Interleague play is awful and should come to and end once the leagues each get 16 teams.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1010 on: October 14, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »
Interleague play is awful and should come to and end once the leagues each get 16 teams.

Why?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1011 on: October 14, 2016, 02:38:07 PM »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #1012 on: October 14, 2016, 03:25:45 PM »
I'm with VBMG. Give me Zastryzny instead of La Stella (or Coghlan). Word is that Montero's back issues are flaring up again, so he may be the odd man out.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1013 on: October 14, 2016, 03:36:54 PM »
Montero will be the one dropped if they decide to bring on another pitcher. Ross is the best catcher, while contreras has more speed and power then Montero. And they really don't need 3 catchers.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #1014 on: October 14, 2016, 03:43:43 PM »
Montero will be the one dropped if they decide to bring on another pitcher. Ross is the best catcher, while contreras has more speed and power then Montero. And they really don't need 3 catchers.

I do like Montero for Arrieta's starts but at a certain point, there is the Mendoza line, and its not like Montero has been a stud defender this year either.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1015 on: October 14, 2016, 04:02:09 PM »
I do like Montero for Arrieta's starts but at a certain point, there is the Mendoza line, and its not like Montero has been a stud defender this year either.

I think Ross catching Arrieta is perfectly fine.  I would also be alright with dropping Miggy if he is not healthy. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1016 on: October 15, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »

Getting ready to head out to the game but thought I'd pat myself on the back for the roster move. 

brandx

« Reply #1017 on: October 15, 2016, 06:21:42 PM »
Getting ready to head out to the game but thought I'd pat myself on the back for the roster move.

Go ahead and pat yourself on the back now. Next week, you'll be slapping your head. :-\

Remember, this is still the Cubbies.

brandx

« Reply #1018 on: October 15, 2016, 06:24:47 PM »
Andrew Miller is simply off the charts right now. Untouchable.

Simply the best reliever in the game right now.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1019 on: October 15, 2016, 08:26:06 PM »
Andrew Miller is simply off the charts right now. Untouchable.

Simply the best reliever in the game right now.

You only say that because we never saw Britton to be able to compare. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1020 on: October 16, 2016, 01:08:33 AM »
Go ahead and pat yourself on the back now. Next week, you'll be slapping your head. :-\

Remember, this is still the Cubbies.

Nope. That's a crock of sh*t.

If they get beat they get beat. No curses, no bs.

brandx

« Reply #1021 on: October 16, 2016, 10:48:48 AM »
You only say that because we never saw Britton to be able to compare.

Well done.

These guys - Francona, Maddon, Roberts - are showing Showalter how you "should" manage in the post-season.

Seriously, though, Miller has been the best reliever in baseball for the last three years.

In the post season in 5 series, he is untouchable - averaging over 15 k/9, 0.00 ERA and a WHIP under .500

buckchuckler

• All American

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1023 on: October 16, 2016, 10:42:15 PM »
Nope. That's a crock of sh*t.

If they get beat they get beat. No curses, no bs.

So, you'd spell his name Kershaw, not Curseshaw? :P

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1024 on: October 16, 2016, 11:48:44 PM »

I guess it's a good thing Maddon disagreed or the Cubbies might be down 2-0 right now.

And for those who thought Kershaw might have nothing left in the tank ... vroom vroom.

Curious to see if the Dodgers bring him back for Game 5 on 3 days rest.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback