collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 169422 times)

brandx

Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #975 on: October 09, 2016, 01:03:21 PM »
What a difference between the way Showalter "used" Britton and the way that Francona used Miller.

Francona did not rely on a script to make his move. He realized "This is the Reality of the Playoffs" and managed accordingly. Showalter managed based on "what might happen".

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #976 on: October 10, 2016, 03:30:02 PM »
What a difference between the way Showalter "used" Britton and the way that Francona used Miller.

Francona did not rely on a script to make his move. He realized "This is the Reality of the Playoffs" and managed accordingly. Showalter managed based on "what might happen".

While it doesn't have any bearing on your point (if any it just further's it), Francona has used Miller like that since he joined Cleveland. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #977 on: October 10, 2016, 07:10:14 PM »
Go Tribe!

Carry on.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brandx

« Reply #978 on: October 10, 2016, 07:33:36 PM »
While it doesn't have any bearing on your point (if any it just further's it), Francona has used Miller like that since he joined Cleveland.

Your point is well made, but it was the 1st time Francona had used him as early as the 5th inning.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #979 on: October 10, 2016, 10:11:34 PM »
Funny seeing Luc go 1 for 12 with 0 walks and allowing a past ball that tied the game up and allowed the Blue Jays to send the game into extras and ultimately get the sweep while the Tribe sweep out the team many picked to win the World Series.

You know what they say about karma...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #980 on: October 10, 2016, 10:26:38 PM »
Funny seeing Luc go 1 for 12 with 0 walks and allowing a past ball that tied the game up and allowed the Blue Jays to send the game into extras and ultimately get the sweep while the Tribe sweep out the team many picked to win the World Series.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #981 on: October 10, 2016, 10:31:32 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #982 on: October 10, 2016, 10:39:40 PM »
Hahahahaha!  Well played sir! 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #983 on: October 10, 2016, 10:41:13 PM »
Hahahahaha!  Well played sir!

;)

Thank you!  I'll be here all night folks.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #984 on: October 11, 2016, 08:00:43 AM »

Actually, that is kind of funny.  I'm sure there are probably other examples, but I can't recall a time when a player that factored heavily at the trade deadline was so visibly involved in his team's loss while the team that "missed out" continued on.  I was really bummed out when that trade didn't go through. 

I hope it continues with the Tribe.  Cleveland:  America's new "Title Town"*

*Does not apply to football.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:02:54 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #985 on: October 11, 2016, 08:20:28 AM »
Actually, that is kind of funny.  I'm sure there is probably other examples, but I can't recall a time when a player that factored heavily at the trade deadline was so visibly involved in his team's loss while the team that "missed out" continued on.  I was really bummed out when that trade didn't go through. 

I hope it continues with the Tribe.  Cleveland:  America's new "Title Town"*

*Does not apply to football.

I was hoping for the winner of the Indians/Red Sox series to play the Giants in the World Series.

Which means the Cubs will beat the Blue Jays in the World Series.

brandx

« Reply #986 on: October 11, 2016, 07:34:04 PM »
How does Kershaw's pitching in the post-season affect his historical standing?

He has now basically pitched a half a season in the playoffs - I think he is up to 15 or 16 starts - and his ERA is pushing 5.00.

We have some smart baseball guys who post here regularly and I would be interested in opinions. Post season play is always taken into consideration when talking about NBA stars or QBs. Should Clayton's career use that criteria as well when looking at his place in baseball history?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #987 on: October 14, 2016, 07:11:51 AM »
Article I wrote last night. Would be appreciated if you give it a read and give me a follow on twitter. Trying to get a bigger following. Any feedback would be appreciated just PM me  ;D

http://www.sportsgazette.co.uk/section.php?aid=1743&sid=10

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #988 on: October 14, 2016, 08:24:21 AM »
It's well written.  I just don't believe that the reason for previous collapses were always due to "cracking under pressure."  I do think a team built around a younger core tends not to bear the weight of history however.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #989 on: October 14, 2016, 08:34:49 AM »
BTW, I was going to stay up to watch that Game 5 last night.  But the 7th inning killed me - over an hour long.  Maybe teams should be allowed only one pitching change per inning?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #990 on: October 14, 2016, 09:04:43 AM »
It's well written.  I just don't believe that the reason for previous collapses were always due to "cracking under pressure."  I do think a team built around a younger core tends not to bear the weight of history however.

Appreciate it. I wanted to put in a line in there that said something along the lines of theyre too young and dumb to realize whats happening, but it didnt really fit and it was overplayed last year anyway.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #991 on: October 14, 2016, 09:07:14 AM »
BTW, I was going to stay up to watch that Game 5 last night.  But the 7th inning killed me - over an hour long.  Maybe teams should be allowed only one pitching change per inning?

I've been thinking something similar watching these games.  Maybe a pitcher has to face at least  3 batters?  I don't mind lefty/righty strategy, or match ups, but it gets ridiculous.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #992 on: October 14, 2016, 09:15:36 AM »
How does Kershaw's pitching in the post-season affect his historical standing?

He has now basically pitched a half a season in the playoffs - I think he is up to 15 or 16 starts - and his ERA is pushing 5.00.

We have some smart baseball guys who post here regularly and I would be interested in opinions. Post season play is always taken into consideration when talking about NBA stars or QBs. Should Clayton's career use that criteria as well when looking at his place in baseball history?

I think by the time he is done Kershaw will be widely considered one of the best all time pitchers in the history of baseball, if he isn't already.  His postseason numbers certainly will hold him back though, if he doesn't turn it around (which he certainly has time to do as he is still just 28).  I heard some interesting numbers on him, hopefully I am remembering them correctly, that he has pitched into the 6th surrendering 2 or fewer runs on short rest (gosh don't exactly remember...) 10 times I think, and it has fallen apart in the 7th. 

There is no doubt that his numbers look ugly, but behind it is a guy that is always willing to do what his team needs him to do, go out and pitch, and pitch deep into games and almost always on short rest.  I think he has been strained further by the lack of a quality pen (before this season) and being pushed to go deeper into games than he should.

Last night was pretty fantastic Mark Buehrle stuff out of him.  I couldn't believe it when he was walking down to the pen. 

That being said, I am a terrible person's opinion to have on this, as I am a huge fan of his, and I definitely look at this through rose (Dodger Blue?) colored glasses.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 09:37:45 AM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #993 on: October 14, 2016, 09:32:39 AM »

Yeah, all those hits, and runs being scored (6 of the 7 runs in the game).  How tedious.  2 boring home runs, a lousy 2 RBI triple, 3 BB, 3 singles and 3 Ks.  Then the topper, is that there was just no energy at all in the stadium.  How mundane. 

The nerve of those teams, trying to have their best match-ups out there in a win or go home scenario.  I mean, cmon.  I don't have the attention span to watch that.  And even more outrageous is that each team had the nerve to change pitchers just one time each for the rest of the game!

I further think that teams in basketball shouldn't be able to foul in the last 5 minutes, yeah it is a strategy that can have a have a significant impact on the game, but I'm a little tired.  Football teams shouldn't be able to spike the ball or huddle up in the 4th quarter, I mean, again, strategy gets in the way of expedience.  Those lazy ass golfers should have to really sprint up to their next shot.  This leisurely walking BS has got to go!  I got to take a nap!   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #994 on: October 14, 2016, 09:36:36 AM »
Yeah, all those hits, and runs being scored (6 of the 7 runs in the game).  How tedious.  2 boring home runs, a lousy 2 RBI triple, 3 BB, 3 singles and 3 Ks.  Then the topper, is that there was just no energy at all in the stadium.  How mundane. 

The nerve of those teams, trying to have their best match-ups out there in a win or go home scenario.  I mean, cmon.  I don't have the attention span to watch that.  And even more outrageous is that each team had the nerve to change pitchers just one time each for the rest of the game!

I further think that teams in basketball shouldn't be able to foul in the last 5 minutes, yeah it is a strategy that can have a have a significant impact on the game, but I'm a little tired.  Football teams shouldn't be able to spike the ball or huddle up in the 4th quarter, I mean, again, strategy gets in the way of expedience.  Those lazy ass golfers should have to really sprint up to their next shot.  This leisurely walking BS has got to go!  I got to take a nap!   

You mad bro?

4 hours and 32 minutes is way too long for a 9 inning baseball game.  That's insane.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 09:39:29 AM by wadesworld »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #995 on: October 14, 2016, 09:38:43 AM »

Some managers tend to overthink/overcomplicate match-ups in the postseason. That can put relievers in unfamiliar situations in the most important games of the season. Roberts' strategy was unorthodox but it seemed like he had a plan - get as much as possible out of his best reliever and let his best pitcher close it out. Dusty looked like he was just sort of winging it. Dealing with pitchers has never been one of Dusty's strengths.

It could be interesting if MLB teams were given 3 timeouts per game (i.e. 3 mound visits). They could swap pitchers without using a timeout and time could be saved by simply letting the manager signal to pen and having a reliever come in as opposed to the manager making the slow walk out to the mound, taking the ball from the pitcher, patting him on the back, waiting for the reliever to get there, talking strategy with him, etc. Call for a sub and send him in there. If you want to talk to the reliever or the infielders, use one of your timeouts.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 09:40:18 AM by MerrittsMustache »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #996 on: October 14, 2016, 09:44:38 AM »
You mad bro?

I don't understand the wanting to change the strategy and essence of the game for the sake of brevity.  So much of baseball has become about analyzing the data and using that data to try to play better.  So let's take some of the most basic data and throw it out because in the most important innings of the most important games.  Teams try to use that data and play the best match-ups.  Isn't that what they should do?
It doesn't make any sense to me.  The thing that really kind of freaks me out is that Rob Manfred suggested that earlier this year, so, the fact that it could become reality is at least present.  As a huge baseball fan I think it would be terrible because it would just make the game worse.  I want to see the best match-ups.  I want each team at their best in the most important situations, and being handcuffed by a 1 pitching change per inning rule (or something similar) would just make the quality of the game worse, and maybe not even faster.

That was a great, great baseball game last night.  It really had just about everything you could hope for, sacrificing that to save 5 or 7 or 10 minutes... why?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 09:46:35 AM by buckchuckler »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #997 on: October 14, 2016, 09:53:23 AM »

Sorry.  I found it boring.  I find fouling at the end of basketball games boring too and have suggested changes.  Football games are rarely boring at the end of a close game because the pace of play is largely unaltered.

Just not interested in four hour, 30 some minute baseball games.  Neither are a lot of other people.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #998 on: October 14, 2016, 10:00:56 AM »
I don't understand the wanting to change the strategy and essence of the game for the sake of brevity.  So much of baseball has become about analyzing the data and using that data to try to play better.  So let's take some of the most basic data and throw it out because in the most important innings of the most important games.  Teams try to use that data and play the best match-ups.  Isn't that what they should do?
It doesn't make any sense to me.  The thing that really kind of freaks me out is that Rob Manfred suggested that earlier this year, so, the fact that it could become reality is at least present.  As a huge baseball fan I think it would be terrible because it would just make the game worse.  I want to see the best match-ups.  I want each team at their best in the most important situations, and being handcuffed by a 1 pitching change per inning rule (or something similar) would just make the quality of the game worse, and maybe not even faster.

That was a great, great baseball game last night.  It really had just about everything you could hope for, sacrificing that to save 5 or 7 or 10 minutes... why?

It's not the "brevity."  It is the pace of play.  I'm sorry but when a game starts just after 7, and isn't close to being over at 10:30, the pace is too slow.  In the seventh inning for instance, I believe there were 57 total pitches.  The inning itself took 66 minutes.  Less than one pitch a minute? 

Remember that baseball used to have a much quicker pace.  In my lifetime it had a quicker pace. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #999 on: October 14, 2016, 10:29:39 AM »

5 or 7 or 10 minutes?  The average MLB game this season was 2 hours and 56 minutes.  Last night's baseball game was 1 hour and 36 minutes longer than that.  And this is a 4-3, 9 inning baseball game.  Not some 15-14 17 inning game with 40 hits combined.  15 combined hits, 7 combined runs, 9 innings.  4 hours and 32 minutes.  That is insane.

That's the problem for baseball.  As you say, it might've been a great, great baseball game, but unless you're a fan of one of those two teams, or a team they're going to be going up against in the next round, chances are you don't even know how it ended.  I love Playoff baseball, but there's no chance I'm staying up to watch a game that started at 7 and ends at nearly midnight on a night I have to go to work the next day.  I would love to sit and watch the game from start to finish, but not if it's going on 5 hours.  No way.  Heck, even if it's a noon game on a Saturday.  There's no chance I'm going to sit and watch baseball from 12 to 5, or for any 5 straight hours of any day.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 10:37:07 AM by wadesworld »

feedback