collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 169406 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #500 on: July 11, 2016, 08:17:17 AM »

I already have said I doubt he's on steroids. But I also understand why some would speculate about it.

Like all players that become good, it's the lazy, ESPN-driven narrative for those to speculate about.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #501 on: July 11, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
As for the Cubs, it's obviously far more than Fowler's absence. He was batting .207 in June before he got hurt and hadn't been All-Star caliber since the first month of the season. Besides, even with their injuries, the Cubs have scored enough runs to win most games.

Their starting rotation, which has been among the healthiest in baseball, has been abysmal during this slump. When the Cubbies were the '27 Yankees back in April-May, their starters were borderline unhittable. And the few times they are getting decent starts these days, their bullpen has cost them.

It's a slump. Even very good teams have slumps. It will be interesting to see how the Cubs respond coming out of the break. If they start with two weeks similar to these last few weeks, they might not be in first place come Aug. 1.

Good teams respond to challenges and adversity, so we'll get to see how good these World Series-bound magazine coverboys really are.

The Cubs are 28-29 since May 10. They're very fortunate that the Cardinals (29-26) and Pirates (29-28) have both hovered around .500 during that time as well. The NL Central appeared to be wrapped up 2 months ago but it's looking like it could end up being a fight down the stretch. One of those 3 teams is bound to have a hot stretch.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #502 on: July 12, 2016, 07:20:23 PM »
Is it weird that now Arrieta doesn't want to pitch?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:27:54 PM by buckchuckler »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #503 on: July 12, 2016, 07:29:55 PM »
Is it weird that now Arrieta doesn't want to pitch?

It's a meaningless game and he wants to rest.  Something is wrong and maybe he thinks that is all it will take.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #504 on: July 12, 2016, 07:40:37 PM »

It's a meaningless game and he wants to rest.  Something is wrong and maybe he thinks that is all it will take.

Why not say that yesterday and get someone else on the team?

Great play by Rizzo to end the 1st. And a great play by Altuve to start the 2nd.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #505 on: July 12, 2016, 07:52:29 PM »
And the Royals are apparently planning on having WS games in KC.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #506 on: July 12, 2016, 07:54:14 PM »

I at least give MLB props for trying to make it meaningful with WS home field at stake.  Maybe i'm guilty of comparing it to NFL and NBA all star games.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #507 on: July 12, 2016, 07:55:03 PM »
And the Royals are apparently planning on having WS games in KC......for the third straight year
FIFY

***also was just informed our viewing is behind by 5 minutes
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:01:21 PM by naginiF »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #508 on: July 12, 2016, 07:55:38 PM »
Why not say that yesterday and get someone else on the team?

Great play by Rizzo to end the 1st. And a great play by Altuve to start the 2nd.

He did say it yesterday. He also said he would pitch if needed.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #509 on: July 12, 2016, 07:57:03 PM »
Do people here like that the game decides home field?  I'm not a fan, personally.

naginiF

• All American
« Reply #510 on: July 12, 2016, 08:06:40 PM »
Do people here like that the game decides home field?  I'm not a fan, personally.
I'm a fan.  It puts skin in the game for the players and the viewers.  It is an extreme paradox that the voting is a popularity contest and the outcome actually has some meaning - clearly the voting needs to be in line with how important the game is.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #511 on: July 12, 2016, 08:13:17 PM »
I at least give MLB props for trying to make it meaningful with WS home field at stake.  Maybe i'm guilty of comparing it to NFL and NBA all star games.

Nah. I thinks that makes it even a bigger joke.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #512 on: July 12, 2016, 08:50:25 PM »
I  was at the as game in 2002 in Milwaukee when Selig called the game at 7-7.   Talk about lame.   At least there's something at stake.   With both ws teams competing against different quality seems as good a way as any to determine best team/homefield.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #513 on: July 13, 2016, 08:01:27 AM »
Using an exhibition game to determine home field advantage for the sport's most important series is absolutely ridiculous to begin with, then you throw in the fact that the game's starters get there via popularity contest and each team must be represented and it gets even more asinine. The whole concept is completely illogical.

Why not just give home field to the pennant-winning team that had the better spring training record? That would make as much sense.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #514 on: July 13, 2016, 08:14:16 AM »
Using an exhibition game to determine home field advantage for the sport's most important series is absolutely ridiculous to begin with, then you throw in the fact that the game's starters get there via popularity contest and each team must be represented and it gets even more asinine. The whole concept is completely illogical.

Why not just give home field to the pennant-winning team that had the better spring training record? That would make as much sense.

The MLB All-star game didn't need this.  It is the only all-star game where the participants on the field are going all out to win the game on both offense and defense, because of the nature of the sport.  It is the only all-star game I watch.  Giving World Series home field was a dumb over-reaction to running out of pitchers in an extra-inning game 15 years ago or so.  (Frankly, a tie in an exhibition game is not the end of the world).  Seems to me you should include records of the teams and the overall interleague records before the all-star game to determine World Series home field.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #515 on: July 13, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »

No.  It was a stupid overreaction to make up for backlash to a slightly less stupid decision, and should have been undone by now.  Either give it to the team with the best record or just rotate between AL/NL each year. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #516 on: July 13, 2016, 08:59:07 AM »
No.  It was a stupid overreaction to make up for backlash to a slightly less stupid decision, and should have been undone by now.  Either give it to the team with the best record or just rotate between AL/NL each year.

Just rotating it between AL and NL makes even less sense, to me.  A cavalier attitude toward home field in baseball makes no sense.  The field the game is played on in baseball has a big impact.  In football and basketball and hockey, the rules are the same regardless of where the game is played, as is the size of the playing field.  In baseball, park dimensions are different, certain parks favor left handed hitters vs. right handed hitters or vice versa, and the DH or no DH rule is a fundamental change to the way a roster is set for the team on the road.  You should have a good reason for who you give that extra home game to.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #517 on: July 13, 2016, 09:06:02 AM »
The MLB All-star game didn't need this.  It is the only all-star game where the participants on the field are going all out to win the game on both offense and defense, because of the nature of the sport.  It is the only all-star game I watch.  Giving World Series home field was a dumb over-reaction to running out of pitchers in an extra-inning game 15 years ago or so.  (Frankly, a tie in an exhibition game is not the end of the world).  Seems to me you should include records of the teams and the overall interleague records before the all-star game to determine World Series home field.

It took me awhile to come to that conclusion, but that is where I stand.  A tie in an All-Star Game is fine.  I think the issue in Milwaukee was that it was announced during the game.  If everyone knows ahead of time that it is only a nine inning game, I think people would be fine with it. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #518 on: July 13, 2016, 10:58:31 AM »

No, but I like it better than giving it to the pennant winner with the best record (the winner in a weak division is given preferential treatment) or simply alternating.

My choice would be to give home field to the league with the winning record in inter league play. That way it would be based on games that actually count and the stronger league would get an earned edge. The NL might not like it because this will be the 13th straight year of AL dominance, but these things are cyclical and they'll be on top again someday.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #519 on: July 13, 2016, 11:37:54 AM »
Was this the first year that the "home" team played in the park of the other league. Noticed that the American League was the "home" team in San Diego.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #520 on: July 14, 2016, 12:50:04 PM »
So despite the fact that the game now "means something," less and less people are watching it.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/2016-mlb-all-star-game-ratings-and-viewership-are-out-record-lows.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #521 on: July 14, 2016, 01:42:08 PM »
No, but I like it better than giving it to the pennant winner with the best record (the winner in a weak division is given preferential treatment) or simply alternating.

My choice would be to give home field to the league with the winning record in inter league play. That way it would be based on games that actually count and the stronger league would get an earned edge. The NL might not like it because this will be the 13th straight year of AL dominance, but these things are cyclical and they'll be on top again someday.

The interleague record would certainly be much better than the current situation. 

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #522 on: July 14, 2016, 04:18:12 PM »
LOL, today Daryl Strawberry admitted he used to have sex with women between innings, he would point out a woman to the batboy and have him fetch her. He also allowed that he and Dwight Gooden might have had a threesome with a woman.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #523 on: July 14, 2016, 04:58:26 PM »
LOL, today Daryl Strawberry admitted he used to have sex with women between innings, he would point out a woman to the batboy and have him fetch her. He also allowed that he and Dwight Gooden might have had a threesome with a woman.

What a life man. Hey, good for him.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #524 on: July 14, 2016, 06:15:01 PM »
So despite the fact that the game now "means something," less and less people are watching it.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/2016-mlb-all-star-game-ratings-and-viewership-are-out-record-lows.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That follows a twenty year trend for mlb ratings as a whole.     With 162 games a year broadcast on television, there is no juice in most mlb games.    Ball games are still good social events so attendance is still solid but tv ratings are not impressive.

feedback