[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 169344 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #475 on: July 08, 2016, 01:19:37 AM »
the difference is that big market teams can make mistakes and not be decimated. Fielder in Texas is a good example. They have the $$$$ to overcome a horrendous move like acquiring him.

Actually they don't anymore.  They pay taxes and give away draft picks.  This is a big deal.

See the Angels, when they signed pujois and Hamilton they were supposed to be a super team.  They both underperformed and the organization is feeling it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #476 on: July 08, 2016, 05:20:44 AM »
They really sold out for Greinke as well.  That trade is one of the things that really has lifted KC. 

I meant Greinke, good call

🏀

• All American
« Reply #477 on: July 08, 2016, 05:27:04 AM »
Actually they don't anymore.  They pay taxes and give away draft picks.  This is a big deal.

See the Angels, when they signed pujois and Hamilton they were supposed to be a super team.  They both underperformed and the organization is feeling it.

Hamilton was on the Angels for two seasons,  they won the West one year. ..

Angels have bigger problems than Pujols, no one to pitch the ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #478 on: July 08, 2016, 09:37:30 AM »

Angels 2015 revenue - $312 million (7th in MLB)
Angels 2015 attendance - 3.01 million (5th)
Angels 2015 pct. capacity - 82 percent (7th)
Angels 2015 wins 85 (12th)

Oh, the suffering.

The Angels were never supposed to be a "super" team after signing Pujols and Hamilton. At the start of the 2013 season, their first together, the Angels were a 17-2 favorite to win the World Series, tied for third with the Dodgers and Nationals, and behind the Tigers and Blue Jays. At the start if the 2014 season, they were the 11th favorite, at 20-1.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #479 on: July 08, 2016, 08:52:14 PM »
If I'm the Cubs, I'm strongly thinking of moving Arrieta this offseason.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #480 on: July 08, 2016, 10:44:35 PM »
If I'm the Cubs, I'm strongly thinking of moving Arrieta this offseason.

He's been noticibly off. Real, real loose. I dunno what's going on.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #481 on: July 08, 2016, 10:50:38 PM »

His regression has started. That being said, he'll still regress to a very good pitcher, but he wasn't going to sustain the ridiculous level he was at.

At 31, going back to arbitration, seeking a $20-$25 mil per year long term, I'd sell now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #482 on: July 08, 2016, 11:04:05 PM »
His regression has started. That being said, he'll still regress to a very good pitcher, but he wasn't going to sustain the ridiculous level he was at.

At 31, going back to arbitration, seeking a $20-$25 mil per year long term, I'd sell now.

Well, if you're Theo, you can't really sell now, can you? Not unless you have another starting pitcher who you think is at least as good as you think Arrieta will be the rest of the way. Because you have to believe this is a World Series team if you are Theo. Thinking less won't cut it, not this season.

Tip of the cap to Theo, who was very smart not to sign Arrieta to a long-term deal before this season. He knew that in the grand scheme of things, Arrieta hadn't proven much at all.

Arrieta still has 3 months to earn that big contract. Right now, he's not awful. Just pitching more like a No. 3 or No. 4 starter. Which is what the Orioles were optimistic he'd be 4-5 years ago and the Cubs were optimistic he'd be as recently as 2014.

A big "we'll see."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #483 on: July 09, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »

He had to get off the juice for awhile because he has a PED test coming up. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #484 on: July 09, 2016, 11:34:46 AM »
I think the only way the Cubs can consider trading Arrieta this offseason is if the Cubs win the World Series this year.  And in order to win the Series this year (and win the division first and foremost) is for Arrieta to start pitching like a #1 again. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #485 on: July 09, 2016, 11:49:11 AM »

Says the guy championing Ryan Braun. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #486 on: July 09, 2016, 12:16:49 PM »

You really don't get PEDs do you?

brandx

« Reply #487 on: July 09, 2016, 01:18:01 PM »

You might want to read up on PEDs.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #488 on: July 09, 2016, 04:00:18 PM »
Arietta is done.  His lab probably got busted.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #489 on: July 09, 2016, 04:22:46 PM »
Arietta is done.  His lab probably got busted.

You really are a piece if work. Dude is a health nut, and this is coming from a Sox fan.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #490 on: July 09, 2016, 05:11:55 PM »
You really are a piece if work. Dude is a health nut, and this is coming from a Sox fan.

Not saying Arrieta has ever ingested anything stronger than carrot juice, but the fact that a guy's a health nuts or a workout warriors is meaningless in the "does he or doesn't he" discussion.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #491 on: July 09, 2016, 10:05:32 PM »
Not saying Arrieta has ever ingested anything stronger than carrot juice, but the fact that a guy's a health nuts or a workout warriors is meaningless in the "does he or doesn't he" discussion.

Exactly.

I have no idea if Arrieta juices, but "Hey, I'm a workout warrior" was precisely what Canseco, McGwire, Sosa, Bonds and many other infamous roiders used to say.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #492 on: July 09, 2016, 10:35:27 PM »
Cubs have problems. Since June 4th, they have the fourth worst record in MLB at 13-20. Digging deeper, 8 of those 13 wins were courtesy of Cincy, Atl, Philly. In July, they have zero quality starts, opponents are hitting a ridiculous .293 against.

They miss Fowler immensely, he's the key to their lineup. I'm not shocked at all that Lester and Arrieta are struggling, it was just a matter of when. Can't see the Cubs missing the playoffs, but I'd be nervous about the Pirates and Cards.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #493 on: July 10, 2016, 02:24:08 AM »
The talk of Arrieta juicing is idiotic. 

As of a couple of weeks ago I had zero concern about the Cubs winning the division.  That is no longer the case.  Just a brutal stretch where they are finding ways to lose games consistently. 

The starting pitching was bound for some regression but I'm surprised at just how bad it has been recently. 

Fowler is certainly a loss but in no way does that excuse a 5-15 stretch.  They are just playing awful baseball right now. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #494 on: July 10, 2016, 08:45:48 AM »
Pirates are going to be really interesting as they get Cole & Tallion back. Their schedule has some great breaks for them in the second half. After they open with the Nats, they get Mil, Phi, Sea, Mil, Atl, Cincy, SD. Their first 21 games in September include 6 w/Mil, 8 Cincy, 4 Philly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #495 on: July 10, 2016, 10:15:00 AM »
The talk of Arrieta juicing is idiotic. 

As of a couple of weeks ago I had zero concern about the Cubs winning the division.  That is no longer the case.  Just a brutal stretch where they are finding ways to lose games consistently. 

The starting pitching was bound for some regression but I'm surprised at just how bad it has been recently. 

Fowler is certainly a loss but in no way does that excuse a 5-15 stretch.  They are just playing awful baseball right now.

First, the talk of Arrieta juicing is human nature and a sign of the times. When a non-performer comes out of nowhere and doesn't just perform but performs like an all-time star, whispers begin. That's simply baseball. Sometimes, the "idiotic" talk turns out to be true. Weren't Braun and his apologists calling such talk idiotic a few years back? La Russa was McGwire's attack dog: "How dare you call the noble Mark McGwire a juicer?" And so on. Do I think Arrieta juices? Not really. But I didn't think Felix Heredia did, either.

As for the Cubs, it's obviously far more than Fowler's absence. He was batting .207 in June before he got hurt and hadn't been All-Star caliber since the first month of the season. Besides, even with their injuries, the Cubs have scored enough runs to win most games.

Their starting rotation, which has been among the healthiest in baseball, has been abysmal during this slump. When the Cubbies were the '27 Yankees back in April-May, their starters were borderline unhittable. And the few times they are getting decent starts these days, their bullpen has cost them.

It's a slump. Even very good teams have slumps. It will be interesting to see how the Cubs respond coming out of the break. If they start with two weeks similar to these last few weeks, they might not be in first place come Aug. 1.

Good teams respond to challenges and adversity, so we'll get to see how good these World Series-bound magazine coverboys really are.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #496 on: July 10, 2016, 10:16:25 AM »
Pirates are going to be really interesting as they get Cole & Tallion back. Their schedule has some great breaks for them in the second half. After they open with the Nats, they get Mil, Phi, Sea, Mil, Atl, Cincy, SD. Their first 21 games in September include 6 w/Mil, 8 Cincy, 4 Philly.

And McCutch, who had a bad start, seems like his bat is waking up.

brandx

« Reply #497 on: July 10, 2016, 11:56:25 AM »
And McCutch, who had a bad start, seems like his bat is waking up.

Pirates always struggle against Mil. I believe they could have won the division last year if they could have beaten them.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #498 on: July 10, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »
First, the talk of Arrieta juicing is human nature and a sign of the times. When a non-performer comes out of nowhere and doesn't just perform but performs like an all-time star, whispers begin. That's simply baseball. Sometimes, the "idiotic" talk turns out to be true. Weren't Braun and his apologists calling such talk idiotic a few years back? La Russa was McGwire's attack dog: "How dare you call the noble Mark McGwire a juicer?" And so on. Do I think Arrieta juices? Not really. But I didn't think Felix Heredia did, either.

As for the Cubs, it's obviously far more than Fowler's absence. He was batting .207 in June before he got hurt and hadn't been All-Star caliber since the first month of the season. Besides, even with their injuries, the Cubs have scored enough runs to win most games.

Their starting rotation, which has been among the healthiest in baseball, has been abysmal during this slump. When the Cubbies were the '27 Yankees back in April-May, their starters were borderline unhittable. And the few times they are getting decent starts these days, their bullpen has cost them.

It's a slump. Even very good teams have slumps. It will be interesting to see how the Cubs respond coming out of the break. If they start with two weeks similar to these last few weeks, they might not be in first place come Aug. 1.

Good teams respond to challenges and adversity, so we'll get to see how good these World Series-bound magazine coverboys really are.

In regards to Arrieta, while no one could have predicted the historic stretch last year, his success certainly didn't come out of nowhere. He also had an excellent 2014 season.  Coming up with Baltimore he was thought very highly of. He's always been in great condition and has always had excellent stuff. The difference came from his command, which is what he's struggling with now. It's not like he was all of a sudden throwing 3-5 mph harder, etc. That's why I personally consider PED suspicions with him both idiotic and lazy.

While the rotation wasn't going to stay historically good it has been abysmal during this rough stretch. I have to think that won't last.  They've just been consistently finding ways to lose.  It was big to get a win today to stop the bleeding, especially with a couple of tough series coming up after the break.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #499 on: July 10, 2016, 10:45:37 PM »
In regards to Arrieta, while no one could have predicted the historic stretch last year, his success certainly didn't come out of nowhere. He also had an excellent 2014 season.  Coming up with Baltimore he was thought very highly of. He's always been in great condition and has always had excellent stuff. The difference came from his command, which is what he's struggling with now. It's not like he was all of a sudden throwing 3-5 mph harder, etc. That's why I personally consider PED suspicions with him both idiotic and lazy.

By "out of nowhere," I meant that just about nobody except baseball junkies had heard of him before he finally stuck with with the Cubs in 2014 -- his seventh season as a pro.

He was 20–25 with a 5.46 ERA for the Orioles, who sent him to the minors three times in 2013 before finally getting sick of waiting for him and sending him to the Cubbies. He then had two minor-league stints for the Cubs in 2013.

To go from being sent to the minors five times in 2013, when he was unceremoniously dumped by the organization that drafted him six years earlier ... to being arguably the best pitcher in baseball in 2015 ... well, that's "out of nowhere" to me. You are free to think otherwise.

I already have said I doubt he's on steroids. But I also understand why some would speculate about it.

feedback