collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 169394 times)

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #325 on: June 19, 2016, 12:52:50 AM »
What's he laughing about? The other 29 teams aren't exactly beating a path to his door.

Maybe the Sox going out of their way to take on the worst deal in baseball, for a guy who has a 20+ ERA while he sits back and collects.

I'd be laughing too

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #326 on: June 19, 2016, 09:52:06 AM »
You sure you don't wanna let it go and just enjoy the season your team is having?

I am enjoying the Cubs' season.  My post was not about a Cubs fan giving crap to a Sox fan for no reason.  There had been a previous discussion about Shields and the quality of pitcher he is both in terms of the Sox and in comparison to other rotations. 

I'm certainly not going to post every time Shields has a horrific outing but he's been historically bad so far since the trade and I thought it was relevant to the previous discussion.  Don't be so touchy. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #327 on: June 19, 2016, 10:34:12 AM »
Maybe the Sox going out of their way to take on the worst deal in baseball, for a guy who has a 20+ ERA while he sits back and collects.

I'd be laughing too

Danks was worthless, has been for years. So bad that the Sox are paying him big money not to show upper work. 29 other teams agree and have no interest in him, even at the league minimum salary. Shield's last 4 starts have been horrific. Maybe he's as done as Danks is. But why JD would find it funny that there's another guy (along with him) stealing the Sox's money is beyond me.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #328 on: June 19, 2016, 03:43:53 PM »
As a Sox fan, it's time to blow it up. They have two great starting pitchers in their 20's, who have incredibly team friendly contracts. The Red Sox, Dodgers, Rangers, Cubs have great farm systems. In a heartbeat I'd trade Sale and Quintana for 6-8 studs. If the Cubs wanted Sale, I'd take Schwarber, Contreras, Cease and call it done.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #329 on: June 19, 2016, 04:58:29 PM »
Mets get swept by the Braves at home. WFAN should be fun tomorrow.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #330 on: June 19, 2016, 05:30:57 PM »
Danks was worthless, has been for years. So bad that the Sox are paying him big money not to show upper work. 29 other teams agree and have no interest in him, even at the league minimum salary. Shield's last 4 starts have been horrific. Maybe he's as done as Danks is. But why JD would find it funny that there's another guy (along with him) stealing the Sox's money is beyond me.

It's funny because he Hahn and Kenny are still trying to make the fanbase believe they have a chance.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #331 on: June 19, 2016, 05:34:20 PM »
As a Sox fan, it's time to blow it up. They have two great starting pitchers in their 20's, who have incredibly team friendly contracts. The Red Sox, Dodgers, Rangers, Cubs have great farm systems. In a heartbeat I'd trade Sale and Quintana for 6-8 studs. If the Cubs wanted Sale, I'd take Schwarber, Contreras, Cease and call it done.

Very difficult with that ownership to see that happening. Good owner for sure. But too loyal and too tied to the notion that fans deserve a short term winner even if it sacrifices long term success.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #332 on: June 19, 2016, 05:35:35 PM »
Very difficult with that ownership to see that happening. Good owner for sure. But too loyal and too tied to the notion that fans deserve a short term winner even if it sacrifices long term success.

Weird, the Sox and the bulls seem to be having the same problems. Wonder why that could be...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #333 on: June 19, 2016, 05:44:17 PM »
Weird, the Sox and the bulls seem to be having the same problems. Wonder why that could be...

Exactly. But both have won championships under his watch.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #334 on: June 19, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »

Yeah, it bothers me because I think it's short sighted, especially in this baseball era.

I look at the excitement of Tim Anderson's call up, and how Sox fans have reacted, and want to scream at their front office and say "See?!?!". Who knows if Anderson will pan out, but I (and many Sox fans) see a young, athletic position player, showing some flash, and want more. Especially with the upcoming terrible FA market this winter, I'd be open for business for any assets I have.

Bottom out this year, be honest with the fan base, tell them 2017 will be tough, trade your assets. Between a few draft classes and picking up prospects via trade, I'd happily wait until 2018. The Dunn/LaRoche/Frazier pickups haven't worked, and none of them were/are terribly exciting. None of this will happen, frustrating for me.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #335 on: June 19, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »

Sale is one of the few players I could actually live with Schwarber being moved for (although in this scenario I think you'd need to substitute another prospect for Contreras).

Serious question on the topic of a Sox rebuild from a Cubs fan.....Obviously, tearing it all down and rebuilding doesn't appear to be in the Sox DNA (I'm assuming this is driven by Reinsdorf). 

I don't mean this as a slam but the Sox typically have trouble drawing fans when they are playing well.  With that in mind, how much more of a negative impact on attendance would a rebuild actually have? 

That being said, I don't ever see them dealing Sale. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #336 on: June 19, 2016, 07:26:19 PM »
Look at the haul the Braves got for Shelby Miller.   The Marlins wanted Seager, Urias, De Leon and more for Fernandez.  Sale has market value faaaaaaaar beyond Miller and his contract makes him more valuable than Jose.  They can trade him, but is should be for major league talent as well as top prospects, which is what the braves got, but Sale should net substantially more.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #337 on: June 19, 2016, 07:56:57 PM »
Sale is one of the few players I could actually live with Schwarber being moved for (although in this scenario I think you'd need to substitute another prospect for Contreras).

Serious question on the topic of a Sox rebuild from a Cubs fan.....Obviously, tearing it all down and rebuilding doesn't appear to be in the Sox DNA (I'm assuming this is driven by Reinsdorf). 

I don't mean this as a slam but the Sox typically have trouble drawing fans when they are playing well.  With that in mind, how much more of a negative impact on attendance would a rebuild actually have? 

That being said, I don't ever see them dealing Sale.

I'd move Sale now. His velocity is down this year which is concerning to me. With his contract what it is, at a minimum they'd get 3 of 5 someone's best prospects. Quintana they'd get a similar return on (Quintana WAR 3.1, Sale 2.3). I don't think the Cubs necessarily need Sale or Quintana, but the Rangers, Dodgers, Red Sox absolutely do.

I don't think a rebuild would do much to attendance. As soon as the sweetheart deal with the state ends, and Reinsdorf's estate sells the team,then they'll move to the suburbs where they should be. They'll have a stadium in Rosemont in 20 years.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #338 on: June 19, 2016, 08:01:08 PM »
Look at the haul the Braves got for Shelby Miller.   The Marlins wanted Seager, Urias, De Leon and more for Fernandez.  Sale has market value faaaaaaaar beyond Miller and his contract makes him more valuable than Jose.  They can trade him, but is should be for major league talent as well as top prospects, which is what the braves got, but Sale should net substantially more.

I don't think it is that simple to an extent.  So because Dave Stewart made an absolutely horrendous trade you expect the same to hold true for other teams?  In fact, I think it becomes much more unlikely based on what Stewart gave up and how Miller has performed so far (and I completely get the Miller is not Sale, not even close).  To me, that trade was an anomaly.   

I've always maintained a trade for Sale was extremely unlikely because of what it would take for the Sox to deal him as well as what the other team would have to give up.  There might be 2-3 teams that could actually even make it happen.   

I've read the same things about Andrew Miller in regards to the Ken Giles trade.  Just because Houston made a horrendous trade doesn't mean you can expect another team to do the same. 

And I'm on the same page as you are - I think what it would take for the Sox to trade Sale is pretty unlikely.  Most likely all talk.   

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #339 on: June 19, 2016, 08:06:06 PM »
I'd move Sale now. His velocity is down this year which is concerning to me. With his contract what it is, at a minimum they'd get 3 of 5 someone's best prospects. Quintana they'd get a similar return on (Quintana WAR 3.1, Sale 2.3). I don't think the Cubs necessarily need Sale or Quintana, but the Rangers, Dodgers, Red Sox absolutely do.

I don't think a rebuild would do much to attendance. As soon as the sweetheart deal with the state ends, and Reinsdorf's estate sells the team,then they'll move to the suburbs where they should be. They'll have a stadium in Rosemont in 20 years.

So I've read that Sale has made the decision to cut down on velocity as a way to cut down on pitch count.  Do you think that is not the case?

Agreed that the Cubs don't need Sale but if he were ever legitimately made available they'd at least inquire. 

But the main point is your response on attendance.  To me, if things don't turn around this year for the Sox (or even in the next 40 days), that should at the very least make rebuilding an option.   

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #340 on: June 19, 2016, 08:22:27 PM »
So I've read that Sale has made the decision to cut down on velocity as a way to cut down on pitch count.  Do you think that is not the case?

Agreed that the Cubs don't need Sale but if he were ever legitimately made available they'd at least inquire. 

But the main point is your response on attendance.  To me, if things don't turn around this year for the Sox (or even in the next 40 days), that should at the very least make rebuilding an option.

I don't buy it. He's routinely at 100 pitches in the 6th. If it's true, it's not working.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #341 on: June 19, 2016, 08:27:38 PM »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #342 on: June 19, 2016, 10:02:48 PM »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #343 on: June 20, 2016, 02:08:33 AM »
Contreras hits the first pitch he sees for a HR.  Study up defensively - the bat is ready. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #344 on: June 21, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »
nm

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 05:32:33 PM by Blackhat »

brandx

« Reply #345 on: June 21, 2016, 06:34:14 PM »
Contreras hits the first pitch he sees for a HR.  Study up defensively - the bat is ready.

It's been done 30 times in MLB history.

No player who did this has ever made the Hall of Fame.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #346 on: June 21, 2016, 06:52:24 PM »
I don't buy it. He's routinely at 100 pitches in the 6th. If it's true, it's not working.

Well, he is still like 6th in the league in K's and 2nd in IP, so...

brandx

« Reply #347 on: June 21, 2016, 07:18:37 PM »

Not quite - just in the last few starts.

In games he has pitched 7 innings or more this year, including 3 CG, he has averaged 108 pitches, so it would be pretty hard to be over 100 pitches in 6.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #348 on: June 22, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
Any one cast All Star votes?  Here is how mine shook out.

C     S. Perez           J. Lucroy
1B   E. Hosmer        P. Goldschmidt
2B   I Kinsler           D. Murphy
SS   F. Lindor           T. Story
3B   J. Donaldson    N. Arenado
OF   M.Trout            A. Duvall       
OF   M. Betts           S. Marte
OF   I. Desmond      M. Ozuna

Some interesting races going on.  Just like last year, when Royal fans were skewing the numbers, Cub fans are this year in the NL.  Several worthy candidates at most positions, this is how I decided to go.  I know my NL OF votes are at least, well, unorthodox, but I thought those guys had earned my votes. 

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #349 on: June 22, 2016, 06:03:48 PM »
Any one cast All Star votes?  Here is how mine shook out.

C     S. Perez           J. Lucroy
1B   E. Hosmer        P. Goldschmidt
2B   I Kinsler           D. Murphy
SS   F. Lindor           T. Story
3B   J. Donaldson    N. Arenado
OF   M.Trout            A. Duvall       
OF   M. Betts           S. Marte
OF   I. Desmond      M. Ozuna

Some interesting races going on.  Just like last year, when Royal fans were skewing the numbers, Cub fans are this year in the NL.  Several worthy candidates at most positions, this is how I decided to go.  I know my NL OF votes are at least, well, unorthodox, but I thought those guys had earned my votes.

You don't think the best team in baseball should have any all-stars?  It almost seems like you went out of your way to take Ozuna; both Bryant and Fowler have a higher WAR. 

feedback