collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 169401 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2016, 03:45:17 PM »
There a certainly more than a few teams that have a better "3" than Shields, such as the Cubs, Mets, Nats, SF, Cleveland, Toronto. There's also a number of teams you could make a solid argument for as well, such as St. Louis, Texas, TB, etc. 

There's also the difference of being a 3 on any team vs a playoff caliber 3, which I know is subjective.

Shields as actually fairly mediocre at this point, IMO. He's nowhere near the pitcher he was. Still a solid trade considering what he is replacing and the money SD is eating, but I wouldn't expect a ton. We'll see how the move to the AL and the Cell and the move out of Petco goes. 4.50 ERA/4.14 FIP on the road last year.

It hurts your credibility to claim that Samardizja, who was the worst qualifying pitcher in baseball last year, is better than Shields.  There arent many numbers that would support that claim. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2016, 05:08:59 PM »
It hurts your credibility to claim that Samardizja, who was the worst qualifying pitcher in baseball last year, is better than Shields.  There arent many numbers that would support that claim.

Since when does being right hurt someone's credibility?

Samardzija was brutal last year for the White Sox.  He's been very good for SF this year.  In fact, last year looks like the anomaly - and I'm no Shark fan.  As it stands today he is a better pitcher than Shields. 

As I said a couple of times, it's a solid move considering all of the factors but if you expect the Shields of old you are going to be extremely disappointed. 

What is that now - 18 losses in 24 games?

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »
Shark -- Career numbers (as a starter) : ERA 4.07; WHIP 1.24; record 44- 59;
Shields -- ERA 3.76; WHIP 1.24; record 129- 104

So career wise, Shields has been better.  Especially considering, last year excluded, Shark has been in the NL and Shields in the AL. 

As for Shark being so much better this year, well... Shields has gone at least 6 innings in every start but 1.  He has allowed 3 runs or fewer in 8/11 starts.  Samardizja has had 3 starts in which he has not gone 6 innings.  He has given up 3 or fewer in 9/12. 

Shark's career numbers also say he is considerably better in the first half than the second half, where Shields stays basically the same. 

Last year was an anomaly, Samardizja isn't that bad.  But he isn't all that great either.  He is a pretty basic 3 starter.  Same as Shields. 

The historical numbers are certainly in Shields' favor.  But you are right.  It makes no sense to expect the Shields from 5 years ago.  But the numbers this year aren't so much in Shark's favor as you would make it seem.  And apart from one disastrous start, Shields has given his team a chance to win every start. 

Most of those teams you mentioned have a claim for a better 3, but most are not clear cut.

And by the way, as for your last comment, yeah, they are playing terrible, but that has nothing to do with this conversation.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 07:21:49 PM by buckchuckler »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #253 on: June 05, 2016, 08:03:17 PM »
Shark -- Career numbers (as a starter) : ERA 4.07; WHIP 1.24; record 44- 59;
Shields -- ERA 3.76; WHIP 1.24; record 129- 104

So career wise, Shields has been better.  Especially considering, last year excluded, Shark has been in the NL and Shields in the AL. 

As for Shark being so much better this year, well... Shields has gone at least 6 innings in every start but 1.  He has allowed 3 runs or fewer in 8/11 starts.  Samardizja has had 3 starts in which he has not gone 6 innings.  He has given up 3 or fewer in 9/12. 

Shark's career numbers also say he is considerably better in the first half than the second half, where Shields stays basically the same. 

Last year was an anomaly, Samardizja isn't that bad.  But he isn't all that great either.  He is a pretty basic 3 starter.  Same as Shields. 

The historical numbers are certainly in Shields' favor.  But you are right.  It makes no sense to expect the Shields from 5 years ago.  But the numbers this year aren't so much in Shark's favor as you would make it seem.  And apart from one disastrous start, Shields has given his team a chance to win every start. 

Most of those teams you mentioned have a claim for a better 3, but most are not clear cut.

And by the way, as for your last comment, yeah, they are playing terrible, but that has nothing to do with this conversation.

I don't think career numbers mean much at this point. Shields has definitely been the better pitcher throughout his career.

Was Samardzija that bad last year because of the AL and pitching half his games at the Cell?  Was he tipping his pitches as I recently heard?  Shields has given up a crap ton of HRs last year and into this year. That's not going to get any better coming into the AL and pitching in Chicago.

But to say suggesting Samardzija is currently the better pitcher removes my credibility is silly. Maybe it's not as clear cut as I believe it to be. However, I think most would consider Samardzija the better pitcher as it stands today.

And yes, I threw in that last part to be annoy you. Guilty.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2016, 06:14:58 AM »
Looks like you two have a side bet to make

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2016, 08:36:29 AM »
Dodgers have cut 45 million in players in the last week.  Wow.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #256 on: June 07, 2016, 05:36:59 PM »
Big week coming up for the MLB.  The Draft begins on Thursday.  Could be a huge day for the Sox as they have 3 picks in the top 50, and 2 in the first round.  There seems to be a lot of uncertainty in the top of the draft with no clear cut 1-1.  Most mocks have AJ Puk going first, but there are 3-4 credible choices in that spot.  The Sox have been linked to a couple guys in the 10 spot,  OFer Corey Ray, who is an alum of the teams ACE program, HS OFers Mickey Moniak and Blake Rutherford.  Some mocks have college hitters Nicks Senzel (3B) or Collins (a C, but Schwarber-like in that he is a massive slugger that is questionable to stay behind the plate).  This seems to be the year the Sox don't take a college pitcher with their first pick.

They have been pretty consistently linked with Wisconsin HS SS Gavin Lux for the #26 pick.

Anyone else have any interest in the MLB draft?  Any insights? 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #257 on: June 07, 2016, 06:59:16 PM »
Prospect to which the Brewers have been tied, a SS from PR named Delvin Perez has reportedly failed a drug test. 

brandx

« Reply #258 on: June 08, 2016, 01:50:33 PM »
Machado should receive some kind of commendation for taking out Yordano last night. Ventura had it coming.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #259 on: June 08, 2016, 03:28:42 PM »
Machado should receive some kind of commendation for taking out Yordano last night. Ventura had it coming.

Completely.  I did like how Manny dodged and weaved before knocking Ventura down with 1 punch.  Ventura is a train wreck.  He has massive amounts of talent, but he is a headcase.  The levels at which he is currently preforming do not support the head case factor he brings. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #260 on: June 08, 2016, 08:02:47 PM »
Shields throwing BP so far in his Sox debut.  79 pitches to get through 2 innings.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #261 on: June 08, 2016, 08:14:25 PM »
Brewers picking #5.

I'd like to see them go for a high ceiling pitcher.   AJ Pint would be great.   They've also been tied to outfielders Blake Rutherford and Corey Ray.   

Collins also an option for Brewers, would save them some money to use on later picks.  He's got a pretty high k rate (though more bb's than Schwarber).  Would be a quick bat to the majors as a 1b if things went right.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 08:24:17 PM by Blackhat »

brandx

« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2016, 08:39:17 PM »
Brewers picking #5.

I'd like to see them go for a high ceiling pitcher.   AJ Pint would be great.   They've also been tied to outfielders Blake Rutherford and Corey Ray.   

Collins also an option for Brewers, would save them some money to use on later picks.  He's got a pretty high k rate (though more bb's than Schwarber).  Would be a quick bat to the majors as a 1b if things went right.

Who is AJ Pint?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #263 on: June 08, 2016, 08:44:53 PM »
Riley Pint

brandx

« Reply #264 on: June 09, 2016, 12:21:49 AM »
Wasn't sure if you were talking about Pint or Puk.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #265 on: June 09, 2016, 05:07:55 AM »
Sounds like Puk is going #1.   Groome and Delvin Perez sound like they are falling.   Perez way down with the PED test positive.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #266 on: June 09, 2016, 04:14:46 PM »
Sounds like Puk is going #1.   Groome and Delvin Perez sound like they are falling.   Perez way down with the PED test positive.

Seems like a lot of the word today says moniak going 1 and puk falling down a bit.  Ray seems to be moving up and the sox seem to have no shot at him,  maybe not even the brewers.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:18:02 PM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #267 on: June 09, 2016, 04:16:52 PM »
Shields throwing BP so far in his Sox debut.  79 pitches to get through 2 innings.

Shark threw bp for a year.  Thanks for caring though. 

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #268 on: June 09, 2016, 06:05:57 PM »
I don't see what the bustle is over Ray.  At least not top 5, imo.  Really struggles against lefties.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #269 on: June 09, 2016, 06:24:26 PM »
Not sure if this is interesting to anyone else or not, but this morning my son Bradley & I were guests at a Sox event at Ronald McDonald House. Sale, Duke, Purke, and Latos were there. Around noon, there was a home run derby event on the roof of the House. Latos pitched to Bradley, and he homered. After that, Purke came in to pitch. I noticed Latos went off to a corner, we were going to approach him for a chat, and my daughter distracted me for a minute, and I noticed Latos in a rush to leave.

I made the joke later that Bradley's homer was the last straw for the Sox and then they released him.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #270 on: June 09, 2016, 06:43:58 PM »
Shark threw bp for a year.  Thanks for caring though.

You're welcome. He'll clearly be better but he simply isn't a 3 anymore.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #271 on: June 09, 2016, 06:44:10 PM »
Of course, Corey Ray to Brewers.

meh.  Puk and Groome still on the board.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #272 on: June 09, 2016, 06:48:02 PM »
I'm looking for a silver lining here:  Keith Law has Corey Ray as his #1 prospect.

1. Corey Ray, OF
Louisville
Previous rank: 1

Although Ray could slip out of the top five, I still think he's the best all-around player in the draft class, a power-speed guy who has a good idea of the strike zone and plenty of bat speed, giving him a high floor of an everyday left fielder

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #273 on: June 09, 2016, 07:10:52 PM »
White Sox got Zach Collins.

Like their pick a lot.

brandx

« Reply #274 on: June 09, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »
Of course, Corey Ray to Brewers.

meh.  Puk and Groome still on the board.

I like the pick. The last thing a rebuilding team needs is a pitcher coming out of HS. Watching video of Riley Pint reminds me of why guys have TJ surgery. He's looks like an arm injury waiting to happen.

Go the Cubs route - get a bunch of good, young position players. Since they will be cheap for a while, you can add a couple FA arms once the young hitters are ready.

feedback