[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2016  (Read 169363 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: MLB 2016
« Reply #225 on: May 10, 2016, 12:18:29 PM »
Jesus suiting up for the Cubs is just as likely as the Cubs trading for Braun.

Cubs already have plenty of middle infielders.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #226 on: May 10, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »
Cubs already have plenty of middle infielders.

What?  I thought he was a catcher?  http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/monteje01.shtml

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #227 on: May 10, 2016, 03:51:47 PM »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #228 on: May 13, 2016, 10:58:07 AM »
I'm a huge Cubs fan, but go to between 5-10 Sox games a year.  Never seen anything like this.  It's a beautiful park, (the upper deck could continue to be improved) and a lot of fun for families.  I take my 10, 7, and 4 year-old often.
I probably should've put 'family friendly' in teal.  Anyway - May 22nd, section 123 behind Royals dugout (row 18 if memory serves).  naginiF family won't be hard to spot.

Also - by FAR the worst experiences i've had at sporting events were both in Indianapolis at Colt games.  The combination of a genuine lack of football knowledge, insecurity and machismo is a bad one.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #229 on: May 13, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »
I know the Cubs swept, but to walk Harper 13 times (and a HBP), cmon.  Especially Arrieta.  He is the freaking reigning Cy Young winner.  To be the best, you gotta walk the best, I guess.  Can't see Kershaw doing that.  To me that makes last week's 7-0 all pretty hollow.   ;)

I assume that wink means the entire thing is teal.  If not, this is maybe the worst post in the history of the internet.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #230 on: May 13, 2016, 12:59:34 PM »
So Kershaw just keeps doing his thing.  77 Ks to 4 BB this season.  4.  None of which have scored.  Another Cy Young leader, Jake Arrieta, has 3 starts in which he has walked 4. That's right, a K/BB rate of almost 20.  5 times better than Chris Sale's ratio.  He just had his 5th consecutive game of 10 or more Ks (Neither Chicago ace has a single one).  This guy is just dominant.  He has 2 CG shutouts, each allowing 4 and 3 baserunners. 

Trout and Harper get the bulk of the love in baseball right now.  But this guy is astounding.  He is a generational talent.  If he retired tomorrow, I think he'd safely be in the HOF.  According to BBref, the most similar pitchers through 27 are Seaver, Pedro and Clemens.  He has already won 4  titles. That equals Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson, and outpaces most HOFer (the only players with more are Lefty Grove, Clemens, Pete Alexander, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Kofax and Pedro).  He is pitching this season at 28. 

Kershaw is currently leading the league in CG, SH, IP, K, WHIP, FIP, K/9, K/BB.

Just watching his starts is worth the price of MLB.tv. 

Sorry, and now back to our regularly scheduled program...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #231 on: May 13, 2016, 06:10:22 PM »
So Kershaw just keeps doing his thing.  77 Ks to 4 BB this season.  4.  None of which have scored.  Another Cy Young leader, Jake Arrieta, has 3 starts in which he has walked 4. That's right, a K/BB rate of almost 20.  5 times better than Chris Sale's ratio.  He just had his 5th consecutive game of 10 or more Ks (Neither Chicago ace has a single one).  This guy is just dominant.  He has 2 CG shutouts, each allowing 4 and 3 baserunners. 

Trout and Harper get the bulk of the love in baseball right now.  But this guy is astounding.  He is a generational talent.  If he retired tomorrow, I think he'd safely be in the HOF.  According to BBref, the most similar pitchers through 27 are Seaver, Pedro and Clemens.  He has already won 4  titles. That equals Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson, and outpaces most HOFer (the only players with more are Lefty Grove, Clemens, Pete Alexander, Walter Johnson, Christy Mathewson, Kofax and Pedro).  He is pitching this season at 28. 

PEDs

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #232 on: May 13, 2016, 06:30:57 PM »

The problem is not that Kershaw is great, but that for you him being great is somehow an argument that someone else isn't great.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »
The problem is not that Kershaw is great, but that for you him being great is somehow an argument that someone else isn't great.

No that wasnt the point at all.   :o

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2016, 09:22:27 AM »

Absolutely agree that Kershaw is a generational talent, but he's gonna have to shake his fairly earned reputation for not being a big-game playoff pitcher.  By any metric (ERA, WHIP), he's been significantly worse, outside of his 2013 NLDS performance.  Even his NLDS performance against the Cards last year was "better" but still nothing like you'd expect out of a perennial Cy Young candidate.

Yes, Arrieta was also shaky in the playoffs last year but he threw an absolute gem in the biggest game of his career and the biggest Cubs game in 5 years against the Pirates.

I suppose you could say they both may be victims of pitching 225+ innings a year.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2016, 09:45:53 AM »
He just had his 5th consecutive game of 10 or more Ks (Neither Chicago ace has a single one). 

I guess Arrieta read your post and decided to correct the situation by throwing 11 Ks yesterday.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2016, 12:35:54 PM »
Well, Bautista finally got what he (maybe) deserved, eh?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »
Well, Bautista finally got what he (maybe) deserved, eh?

7 months later, in the last game of a series.  God bless the "unwritten rules of baseball".  You can interpret whatever happened after, but the beaning of Bautista that set it all off was incredible lame in my opinion.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #238 on: May 16, 2016, 05:59:36 PM »
7 months later, in the last game of a series.  God bless the "unwritten rules of baseball".  You can interpret whatever happened after, but the beaning of Bautista that set it all off was incredible lame in my opinion.

I just loved that someone actually threw a punch. Normally those things in baseball are all "tough" guys getting in each other's faces, waiting for one of their teammates to hold them back. Not this one. It was awesome.

And if more 2B/SS throw punches for crapty slides, I'm betting there will be fewer crapty slides.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2016, 06:11:56 PM »
 You've got to retaliate right away, you don't wait until next year, regardless scenario.   If you're mad enough to go to blows, do it that game.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #240 on: May 16, 2016, 06:16:47 PM »
If I was Bautista, I would have bat flipped right after getting hit.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #241 on: May 22, 2016, 07:07:07 PM »
Have you been to comiskey? Place is a trash pool with people throwing beer off the upper decks and trying to start fights.
Happy to say we made it out of US Cellular alive.  But man those Sox fans are really something else: talking to the kids about which Royals they have on their fantasy teams, insisting my wife and youngest take their seats on the jammed L, joking about their dominance of the Royals by avoiding a sweep, and generally being nice and good natured.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #242 on: June 04, 2016, 03:44:20 PM »
White Sox have apparently acquired James Shields.  Details still forthcoming. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #243 on: June 04, 2016, 05:02:20 PM »
Sox give up Fernando Tatis Jr. and Erik Johnson in the deal.  They also receive 29 million towards the contract of Shields.

Love the move for the Sox.  Shields makes a pretty darn good 3 starter, and they are paying him 27 mil for 3 years.  That seems quite a bit better than market rate. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #244 on: June 04, 2016, 05:08:47 PM »
Sox give up Fernando Tatis Jr. and Erik Johnson in the deal.  They also receive 29 million towards the contract of Shields.

Love the move for the Sox.  Shields makes a pretty darn good 3 starter, and they are paying him 27 mil for 3 years.  That seems quite a bit better than market rate.

Seems like a solid deal, especially with SD picking up part of the tab. Not sure I'd classify Shields as a 3 overall anymore (although he'll be the Sox 3).

Not sure the Sox are going anywhere though unless they make another move or two.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #245 on: June 04, 2016, 07:55:22 PM »
How 'bout dem Brewers, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #246 on: June 04, 2016, 08:23:48 PM »
This may sound stupid, but I like the Shields trade more so for 2017 than this year. I'm assuming he won't opt out, but it solves a long term problem, and I'm fine with him being their third starter. If they could get a bat by moving Rodon, I'd be ok with it.

Big week coming up for the Sox. I want to say they have 5 of the top 100 picks in the draft, I know they have two first rounders. For a team that has struggled drafting position players, they need to hit on 2 of these 5 picks.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #247 on: June 04, 2016, 10:33:15 PM »
Seems like a solid deal, especially with SD picking up part of the tab. Not sure I'd classify Shields as a 3 overall anymore (although he'll be the Sox 3).

Not sure the Sox are going anywhere though unless they make another move or two.

Not sure there are more than a few teams that have a better 3 than Shields.  And, I agree Dish, good move for next year as well, especially considering how thin the the free agent class is looking. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 11:07:18 PM by buckchuckler »

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2016, 08:47:09 AM »
Not sure there are more than a few teams that have a better 3 than Shields.  And, I agree Dish, good move for next year as well, especially considering how thin the the free agent class is looking.

There a certainly more than a few teams that have a better "3" than Shields, such as the Cubs, Mets, Nats, SF, Cleveland, Toronto. There's also a number of teams you could make a solid argument for as well, such as St. Louis, Texas, TB, etc. 

There's also the difference of being a 3 on any team vs a playoff caliber 3, which I know is subjective.

Shields as actually fairly mediocre at this point, IMO. He's nowhere near the pitcher he was. Still a solid trade considering what he is replacing and the money SD is eating, but I wouldn't expect a ton. We'll see how the move to the AL and the Cell and the move out of Petco goes. 4.50 ERA/4.14 FIP on the road last year. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2016, 01:09:17 PM »
This may sound stupid, but I like the Shields trade more so for 2017 than this year. I'm assuming he won't opt out, but it solves a long term problem, and I'm fine with him being their third starter. If they could get a bat by moving Rodon, I'd be ok with it.

Big week coming up for the Sox. I want to say they have 5 of the top 100 picks in the draft, I know they have two first rounders. For a team that has struggled drafting position players, they need to hit on 2 of these 5 picks.

Agree. This improves their pitching staff for the next 3 years. Another solid move by Rick Hahn.