[Today at 07:43:22 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

New 2024 Committment According to Ben Steele: Joshua Clark by tower912
[May 12, 2024, 08:23:11 PM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 12, 2024, 03:17:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hiking Shoes/Boots Recommendations  (Read 1885 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Hiking Shoes/Boots Recommendations
« on: July 03, 2020, 09:41:40 AM »
Anybody have recommendations for a good pair of hiking shoes/boots? I’d prefer to keep it on the cheap end since there’s really not much of a need for them in the SE Wisconsin area, so they won’t be used more than once a year or so. But would prefer something lighter and more breathable I’d those are options when it comes to hiking footwear. I’m planning on going to Grand Tetons/Yellowstone/Glacier and would like them for that trip in September.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorFan

• All American
Re: Hiking Shoes/Boots Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 10:28:59 AM »
Unless you're dealing with cold/snow/mud/ice I've always found a good comfortable pair of running shoes better than any hiking boot I've ever tried.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 11:18:51 AM »
Anybody have recommendations for a good pair of hiking shoes/boots? I’d prefer to keep it on the cheap end since there’s really not much of a need for them in the SE Wisconsin area, so they won’t be used more than once a year or so. But would prefer something lighter and more breathable I’d those are options when it comes to hiking footwear. I’m planning on going to Grand Tetons/Yellowstone/Glacier and would like them for that trip in September.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have these and they are great.  Nice sale on them too.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/122204?page=mens-north-peak-ventilated-trail-shoe-mens

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 12:00:05 PM »
Unless you're dealing with cold/snow/mud/ice I've always found a good comfortable pair of running shoes better than any hiking boot I've ever tried.

Awesome, thank you.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/122204?page=mens-north-peak-ventilated-trail-shoe-mens

That’s a great price and look like what I’m looking for. Compared to a Nike size, do they fit true to size?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 12:02:28 PM »
Awesome, thank you.

That’s a great price and look like what I’m looking for. Compared to a Nike size, do they fit true to size?

True to size, my foot is a bit wide, but no issues.  They look a bit more pink in the stock photo, a bit darker in real life, plus once they get dirty they darken up too.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 01:35:32 PM »
I'll go out on a limb here.

https://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/everyday/scott-ii-utility-mens

I love them.  I wear them once it gets cool outside, and I've put a wool liner in the bottom.  I wore them all winter long, but if I took out the liner I know they'd be fine in the summer.  They don't really breathe since they're waterproof, and I usually buy breathable shoes since my feet sweat a lot.

I LOVE minimalist shoes and zero drops.  I hiked in Cinque Terre with these in the hills and loved that they weigh almost nothing... plus they pack so easily.

Negative is that they're expensive... and appear to be sold out at the moment.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 03:51:23 PM »
I have a pair of Altra Lone Peak 4, trail running shoe. Super lightweight, wide toe box, good traction. Just kicked around a WI state park in them, have done some hiking out west in them. Comfortable and serves the casual hike purpose.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 07:00:55 PM »
I would second the idea of a good comfortable running shoe for summer hiking...with the caveat that you probably want to specifically get trail running shoes. The most significant difference between regular and trail running shoes is that the latter have stiffer, more solid soles, which come in handy if you're stepping on rocks, roots and such.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 07:10:36 PM »
I would second the idea of a good comfortable running shoe for summer hiking...with the caveat that you probably want to specifically get trail running shoes. The most significant difference between regular and trail running shoes is that the latter have stiffer, more solid soles, which come in handy if you're stepping on rocks, roots and such.

Outstanding. Thanks much to all who have offered their recommendations, much appreciated. This was the part I was most concerned with. I didn’t want my feet to get torn up and I wanted some solid traction from the shoes while still hoping to keep the shoes a bit lighter.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 09:56:12 PM »

I don't have those, but bought a discount pair of LL Bean trail shoes a couple years ago.  Tread is great - they've handled the rocky mountains , rain forests, and hiking in several countries (just clean off the mud before you cross the borders!).  A+ for quality build - though perhaps not the prettiest shoes.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 10:09:28 PM »
totally agree. Trail running shoes are the way to go. Light and solid sole. Hell, I bought a pair of used Salomons for $30 and they have been great. That was 3 years ago

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 01:50:43 PM »
Love me some Merrell Moabs. Very durable, dried quick, and very comfortable. Do a lot of backpacking so they gotten some run into them.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 11:09:58 AM »
Its so difficult to find a good pair, esp when you've got to deal with plantar fasciitis...  Any recommendations out there??? Thnx   8-)

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 12:33:27 AM »

Just spent an amazing week hiking out in Silverthorne/Dillon/Frisco CO area. Took the Keystone gondola and then hiked back down avoiding the gradual-descent ServiceRoad and staying on relatively steep Blue intermediate ski runs. It’s uncanny the difficulty disparity of hiking down Blue runs vs skiing them. Can handle skiing BlackDiamonds somewhat easily [as long as only intermittent (read as “avoidable” 😂) moguls]. Yet I fell once and slipped three other times hiking down Blues. I was wearing worn-sole Adidas running shoes. Totally agree with you though, if you’re talking Midwest trail hikes. Running shoes are fine. Just don’t let that lull you into gear-deficiency if you head out West.

After eight difficult years of caregiving for my folks and then an Aunt after my parents passed away, I am taking a much needed month in the Rockies. I can’t tell you guys what an elixir the beautiful scenery and mountain air is. Took the Pioneer Sports (Frisco only) shuttle to the top of VailPass and biked back down the Pass past Copper Mt. all while following a meandering mountain stream and mini-rapid back into Frisco.
Took a day trip to Winter Park and hiked down the Ute Trail. Gentle slopes but a couple tricky areas.

Note that all my hiking and biking was downhill 😜 and it still felt like a workout to this aging Gen Xer.
If you’re feeling your age and uneasy about being active in CO, it is still more than worth it just for the unbelievably beautiful scenic drives. Loveland Pass, Berthoud Pass (WinterPark access), and Independence Pass [Aspen access from the East(summer only)] are breathtaking!

I’m in Montrose tonight, and tomorrow plan to see historic Gunnison, followed by the town of Crested Butte and of course CB ski area. Was just going to head down to Telluride and Silverton then Durango, but was talked into the CB sidetrip by the guy in line behind me at a Delta CO taco shack. He saw my Croatian flag bumper sticker and told me how the Gunnison and Crested Butte areas were settled by ethnics including Cros working in the silver mines. Sold.

Thanks for letting me send this ScoopPostCard. Single guy with no family left to share my RockyMtHigh with. On that note, not as many dispensaries as I imagined. No big deal, as I haven’t partaken in awhile.

If anyone is feeling down or just in need of rejuvenation, I can’t tell you how good this place is for the soul.

CO is doing a good job managing Covid tourism, and you would be surprised how compliant people are with mask mandates, even at altitude. Once your hike or bike ride starts, however,  please remove your mask, as you will get light headed wearing it in this oxygen-thin, but crisp mountain air.

PS, if you’re driving out here, just know that CO strictly enforces their Right Lane Except to Pass law. Stopped twice before Denver... and each time later saw a car pulled over that was in front of me earlier dwelling in the left lane. Love CO’s interstate signage “Camping is for the mountains, not the Left lane”.

Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 09:40:42 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCAt--sS9qQ

Jiohn Pinette on hiking

"all bad stories start with I was hiking"
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full