[Today at 03:27:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 03:22:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Apple TV  (Read 2235 times)

The Lens

• All American
Apple TV
« on: February 23, 2014, 03:16:03 PM »
I have had Apple TV ever since the price dropped to $99.  I love it; super easy for the kids, buying digital is better than buying DVDs, running music through is nice, we use AirPlay a fair amount.  And I will use WatchESPN for random ESPN3 games (UWGB Hoops or MU Soccer).  Of course a lot of it (WatchESPN etc) requires authentication so it certainly doesn't replace cable / sat.

My question: 

How do other users utilize it?   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Apple TV
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 04:48:38 PM »
Had one since it launched for competitive reasons (same for WDTV, Roku, Chromecast, etc)....have a gen 2 currently, 2011 (gen 3 came out in 2012).  Rarely use it.  I like my movies with a high bit rate 1080P view and streaming services have a very difficult time doing that as a result of bandwidth, so they look soft.  Unfortunately the gen 2 only does 720p.  In our lab we have several gen 3's, the 1080P is better, but still doesn't put through the bit rate that would make it ideal, but certainly better than the gen2.

I do, however, like airplay functionality which we use more for family slide shows and such.  The music stuff, rarely use as our Directv receivers already get Pandora through them which is typically what we have pumped into the speakers, etc.  EST (electronic sell through) is nice, meaning you own a digital copy.  Most providers offer this now as well. 

MileHigh

• Team Captain
  • Go Warriors!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 07:43:52 AM »
The Apple TV is great for air playing music when you are hosting people.  iTunes Radio is actually pretty decent too.

Prior to Fox Sports 1, I would stream alot of non-conf MU games through the Watch ESPN app.  The 2nd most used app is HBO GO.  There is so much content available in there.  I recently decided to re-watch the Sopranos from the beginning...haven't watched an episode since the last one in 2007.

I know my sister utilizes it for the Disney channel app for kids.  The ability to stream Mickey for the kids with no commercials is nice.

Unfortunately, the Gen 2 version I have is only 720.  Its not horrible, but I would prefer 1080.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:17:02 AM »
I heard that Apple and Tesla are talking about teaming up.   That can't end well.   Who wants a car without Windows?     ;D
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:57:12 AM »

I know my sister utilizes it for the Disney channel app for kids.  The ability to stream Mickey for the kids with no commercials is nice.

Good stuff. Never thought of the no commercials advantage.  Disney Network is what inspired me to post this, I see it and think, great but I have it on my U-verse and it requires authentication so how does having it on Apple TV really benefit me (unless you connect it to a non cable / sat connected TV).
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:04:57 AM »
I have mine set up as sort of a general entertainment hub to link between my computer and the living room TV. The apple TV is plugged into the stereo receiver and that allows me to airplay my whole iTunes library (in iTunes Match) from my phone, tablet, or laptop - very convenient when wandering about the house.

I also have it configured to stream media from my laptop via Home Sharing. I've loaded all my movies/TV into iTunes (there's a great conversion program called iV (or some variation of that) that will convert any video format into .mp4 and automatically import it into iTunes (with proper metadata). You can then access all of that from the 'Computer' tile of Apple TV.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 10:50:22 AM »
Sold my jailbroken 2nd gen for $250 on ebay a few months back. Now that Chromecast is out I had no use for it since I also have a media center.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 11:05:43 AM »
We have the trifecta of streaming at home - Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime - all via Apple TV which accounts for 90% of our viewing at home (remaining 10% split between OTA/DVR and Blu-Ray/DVD).

In addition to the trifecta, we also use the Apple TV pretty heavily for background music (either from library or Pandora), and we've started buying Blu-rays only when it has a digital copy... so all of our movies are being played via ATV as well.  Youtube channel is popular with the kids to watch a quick educational video before bed.  Occasionally, we'll get into the Disney or ABC channels, but most of that stuff is found in the trifecta anyway.  We also use the WatchESPN app when there's something live on ESPN or ESPN2 we want to see -- which isn't very often these days.  Anything that ATV doesn't offer that can be streamed to my iPad goes up on the TV via AirPlay.  I also watch movie trailers during late-night feedings with my 7/mo/old (since those could last anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes).

In other words, we utilize just about everything ATV has to offer.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 11:55:54 AM »
We have the trifecta of streaming at home - Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime - all via Apple TV which accounts for 90% of our viewing at home (remaining 10% split between OTA/DVR and Blu-Ray/DVD).

In addition to the trifecta, we also use the Apple TV pretty heavily for background music (either from library or Pandora), and we've started buying Blu-rays only when it has a digital copy... so all of our movies are being played via ATV as well.  Youtube channel is popular with the kids to watch a quick educational video before bed.  Occasionally, we'll get into the Disney or ABC channels, but most of that stuff is found in the trifecta anyway.  We also use the WatchESPN app when there's something live on ESPN or ESPN2 we want to see -- which isn't very often these days.  Anything that ATV doesn't offer that can be streamed to my iPad goes up on the TV via AirPlay.  I also watch movie trailers during late-night feedings with my 7/mo/old (since those could last anywhere from 2 to 20 minutes).

In other words, we utilize just about everything ATV has to offer.

Thanks for the feedback.  Sounds like you don't have Cable / Sat...

1) how do you watch MU?
2) how do you authenticate for ESPN, Disney, etc? 

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »
I've had the original "Apple Hotplate" version and now have the most recent generation. We use it differently, depending on the season. In the winter, when we have parties, we use it for music, playlists, etc. and it helped me talk the wife into dramatically cutting down on the framed photos (clutter) because we link it to iPhoto and then have it rolling with old photos. We also use it for Netflix and podcasts. In the summer, it is used to run the outdoor music around the pool/firepit. The best part is linking it with the iPhone and being able to run everything from your pocket (insert joke here).

GOO

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 02:54:21 PM »
We have two of the HD apple TV's at home.  Really like them and we use them a lot.  I do not have cable, but since I live between Chicago and Milwaukee, I get a lot of over the air stations (I like having about 10 PBS selections at a time including the good sub-channels as I like science shows, Charlie Rose, theater, music shows... ).

But the Apple TV is how we use Netflix, YouTube, I like to watch Bloomberg and Bloomberg West, etc.  Rent an occasional movie form itunes.  I use Crackle for watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee as a convenient way to watch it on TV.

We stream our itunes music, watch home videos from our devices and computers, etc.

For the over the air channels, I have a Tivo that is paid up with over 1T of attached storage plus internal storage.  So it is nice to have all of this without a monthly bill.  It would be nice if the next Apple TV allows for recording and running an antenna through it.  

Since I don't have cable, I don't use most of the Apple TV Apps and hide them (which you can do in accessibility).  

We use an Apple bluetooth keyboard as a remote.  If you don't have a keyboard as your Apple TV remote, I'd advise anyone to get a keyboard.  Makes it a much nicer experience.

I don't get to watch a lot of MU games, but I have too much going on anyway, and the TV is off at our house Monday through Thursday anyway (price for having children in school) and I have other stuff to do on Saturdays anyway.  Plus, I attend a bunch of MU games at the BC.

I'm not a big video game player at all, but if the next Apple TV allows bluetooth game controllers, which it probably will, I think the device will really begin to take off.

akmarq

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 02:57:50 PM »
We use an Apple bluetooth keyboard as a remote.  If you don't have a keyboard as your Apple TV remote, I'd advise anyone to get a keyboard.  Makes it a much nicer experience.

If you have iOS devices there's also a free app called 'Remote' that will let you type/navigate menus from that device. Very nice for searching Netflix, etc.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 03:10:01 PM »
I never liked the remote app.  I will have to give it another try as I haven't looked at it in a long time.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 02:44:13 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Sounds like you don't have Cable / Sat...

1) how do you watch MU?
2) how do you authenticate for ESPN, Disney, etc? 

I will answer as truthfully as possible without compromising my rights under the 5th Amendment.

1) In-person, mostly.
2) The same way that many people authenticate Netflix, as recently disclosed by their CEO.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2014, 02:45:47 PM »
I will answer as truthfully as possible without compromising my rights under the 5th Amendment.

1) In-person, mostly.
2) The same way that many people authenticate Netflix, as recently disclosed by their CEO.

What would that be?  Or do you mean HBO's CEO?  I have a fun conversation with them next week in New York about that very thing. Very much looking forward to it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 02:55:35 PM »
A new AppleTV is coming out in April, by the way

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »
What would that be?  Or do you mean HBO's CEO?  I have a fun conversation with them next week in New York about that very thing. Very much looking forward to it.

Well, if you think I'm one of those morons who's sharing a username & password, I can assure you that I'm no moron.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 07:31:17 PM »
Well, if you think I'm one of those morons who's sharing a username & password, I can assure you that I'm no moron.

Did the Disney CEO say something?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 10:20:48 PM »
I have one at home. Use it mostly for NetFlix viewing, trailers, some of the basic apps that come with it (Smithsonian, etc.). Haven't rented anything yet. Use the music feature to play online radio stations. Also using the mirroring feature to throw up a webpage, pic, or browsing from the net to show others.

At school, I use it for mirroring and video streaming mostly. Very helpful when a topic comes up in class and I can share some information in a couple of seconds as well as demonstrate how to search for the information. First year using it, so I'm sure it'll get more use.
SS Marquette

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 10:45:56 AM »
Did the Disney CEO say something?

I'm sure Disney's CEO says a lot of things... most of which you can record and play backwards if you're need a good satanic verse or two.

Tigidal

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 03:02:21 PM »
Besides other uses mentioned... I'll double-down on the AirPlay mirroring from a newer Apple computer to the Apple TV. 

Have a couple gen 2 Apple TV's along with an iMac and MacBook Pro.  If I want to work or play from on one of the Apple TV's, I just set the iMac to mirror and take its Bluetooth keyboard and mouse to that room.  You also have the option to use it as a second screen... So if I'm working on the MacBook in the living room and need more screen space... presto.