[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tech Question  (Read 1456 times)

The Lens

• All American
Tech Question
« on: February 09, 2012, 08:35:57 AM »
Anyone ever do a jailbreak of their Apple TV?

Specifically using Seas0n 3 Pass FireCore & XBMC PlayOn?

I'm looking to be able to stream ESPN3.   
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Mobot

• Team Captain
Re: Tech Question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »
I have the older Apple TV (with a hard drive) but have been afraid to try a jail break.  It is sad that they can't secure deals with ESPN, etc.  Apple TV would be an outstanding product if you could open up online streaming... NBC, ABC, Fox, Discovery, etc.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:57:11 AM »
I have the Apple TV 2 ($99 version) and I love it; just wish hulu+ & ESPN3 were available.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:45:57 AM »
I bought a $200 netbook (from Target) that had a HDMI port, hooked that up to my TV. 

Works great .. All the content on the web, available.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 09:47:51 AM »
I have the Apple TV 2 ($99 version) and I love it; just wish hulu+ & ESPN3 were available.

I just sent you a PM. There is an ESPN app for xbmc but it is hit or miss on it working. When it is working it is fantastic.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 10:13:11 AM »
We're all mac here. I just asked my tech guy and he said that when the xbmc link is working it is great, but they switch it up often, so it might work one day, then not work the next because you need to update "constantly." He said if you have an ipad, you could just airlink it to your AppleTV.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »
We're all mac here. I just asked my tech guy and he said that when the xbmc link is working it is great, but they switch it up often, so it might work one day, then not work the next because you need to update "constantly." He said if you have an ipad, you could just airlink it to your AppleTV.

Thanks.  I have an iPad but hulu+ definitely does not allow for air play and I don't think ESPN 3 (Watch ESPN) does either.  Also the best part of ESPN3 is the 4 games at once which I am pretty sure you can't do on the iPad. Good info on XBMC.  Thanks,

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »
Anyone ever do a jailbreak of their Apple TV?

Specifically using Seas0n 3 Pass FireCore & XBMC PlayOn?

I'm looking to be able to stream ESPN3.   
I had a buddy jailbreak mine for me.  XBMC did work on it for a while.  Then when I was very tired one night I made the mistake of pressing the "yes" button when Apple TV2 asked if I wanted to update.  Goodbye XBMC.  If it happened to me once it would happen again so I haven't tried to jailbreak it a second time.  I'm now looking into either a small fan less Windows based HTPC, netbook or even connecting Frontrow or XBMC through a 7" dedicated Android tablet via the micro-HDMI port.  All three options would allow me to watch anything stored on my hard drive on my HDTV.