[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by brewcity77
[Today at 04:24:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: USA World Cup Draw  (Read 6756 times)

The Man in Gold

• All American
USA World Cup Draw
« on: December 04, 2009, 11:45:59 AM »
Draw just about to start...praying for South Africa.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

GGGG

• All American
Re: USA World Cup Draw
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 12:10:39 PM »
England...

F*ckin' Mexicans get South Africa.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:13:28 PM »
Greatest WC beat down ever...Brazil v. North Korea.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 12:18:04 PM »
Nice Algeria draw for US thou.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »
And Slovenia...not bad all around.

And France is in South Africa's group.  (Yeah...I'm sure that was random...)

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:29:49 PM »
Question for someone who understands the draw better than myself - Why did they skip group C when Ivory Coast was drawn and put them in Group G?  Then put another African country of Algeria in group C?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 12:30:56 PM »
And Slovenia...not bad all around.

+1

This draw could have gone much, much worse
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 12:35:44 PM »
Question for someone who understands the draw better than myself - Why did they skip group C when Ivory Coast was drawn and put them in Group G?  Then put another African country of Algeria in group C?

It's my understanding that for at least some of the pots they drew the group, the seed, and then the team to fill that spot which caused them to jump around a bit.  Anyone that was able to watch know for sure?

Gotta like the US chances to advance compared to some of the other scenarios.  Now if only they could get healthy.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 12:49:48 PM »
Donovan vs. Beckham!   I live for World Cup

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 12:53:17 PM »
It's my understanding that for at least some of the pots they drew the group, the seed, and then the team to fill that spot which caused them to jump around a bit.  Anyone that was able to watch know for sure?

Gotta like the US chances to advance compared to some of the other scenarios.  Now if only they could get healthy.

Not quite - they were not drawing the groups, they went straight through (A-H) unless there were two African teams in the same draw.  So when Nigeria was drawn for Group A, they had to move to Group B because S. Africa was in Group A.  Then Ivory Coast was drawn and they could not be in Group A either, so I assumed that would put them in Group C.  But they were placed in Group G, and then Algeria was drawn and put in Group C. 

Keelsmeals

• Walk-On
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 01:02:49 PM »
It's my understanding that for at least some of the pots they drew the group, the seed, and then the team to fill that spot which caused them to jump around a bit.  Anyone that was able to watch know for sure?

It had to do with South Africa - South Africa was not allowed to play another African country so they drew the team/group/seed until a non-African team was drawn - Uruguay. Then they proceeded to place the remaining teams in Pot 3 based on alphabetical order again and just drew the seed for the group.

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »
North Korea is in for a world of hurt against Brazil, Portugal, and the Ivory Coast. It will be interesting to see what happens in that group between those three.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 01:10:29 PM »
North Korea is in for a world of hurt against Brazil, Portugal, and the Ivory Coast. It will be interesting to see what happens in that group between those three.

FIFA's sending a message to Kim Jong Il.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 01:11:58 PM »
Donovan vs. Beckham!   I live for World Cup

Beckham will be lucky to get in the squad let alone on the bench.  Lennon, Wright-Phillips, Young all ahead of him as out and out wingers and Gerrard has been playing wide as well which means you need quite a few injuries for Beckham to find the pitch outside of a late substitute with set pieces in mind.

In regards to the placing of the Ivory Coast into Brazil's group, Keelsmeals is right in saying they went alphabetically by the seeded team (First Argentina, then Brazil, then England) when placing the African countries taking part.

MU1984

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 01:15:28 PM »
Whoever finishes second in the group will most likely face Germany in the first round of do or die.  First in the group would face either Ghana, Serbia, or Australia.  

Need to take out England or at worst, snag a draw, in that first match to avoid another ouster by the Germans.

copious1218

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
In regards to the placing of the Ivory Coast into Brazil's group, Keelsmeals is right in saying they went alphabetically by the seeded team (First Argentina, then Brazil, then England) when placing the African countries taking part.

Ahhh, that makes sense - I thought they just went to the next available Group that didn't create a conflict (in order of group, not alphabetically by the #1 seeds in each group).

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 01:38:53 PM »
great draw, I like mexicos better....but maybe we can whoop em in the quarters again!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 01:42:33 PM »
"Oooh, the Germans are mad at me... I'm so scared! Oooooh, the Germans...Uh oh...The Germans are coming after me... Oh, don't let the Germans come after me... Oh, the Germans are coming after me... No, they're so big and strong... Protect me from the Germans!"
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 01:51:24 PM »
"Oooh, the Germans are mad at me... I'm so scared! Oooooh, the Germans...Uh oh...The Germans are coming after me... Oh, don't let the Germans come after me... Oh, the Germans are coming after me... No, they're so big and strong... Protect me from the Germans!"

Stop it Mr. Burns!

LON

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 02:00:05 PM »

Don't they know how busy he is?

F*** you, HANS BLIX!

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 02:03:22 PM »
let me be the first to say it:
U-S-A, U-S-A

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 02:25:05 PM »
Quote from: Cooby Snacks on Today at 01:10:29 PM

Don't they know how busy he is?

F*** you, HANS BLIX!

Yes, he's got to keep his starving country informed on where to find the best bark to eat and which hills have the best grass to fill their stomachs (and no that is not a joke). Ill root for North Korea just because it could make those poor citizens forget about the physical and psychological pain they endure everyday under a completely insane ruler.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:27:02 PM by KCMarq09 »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 02:47:23 PM »
Quote from: Cooby Snacks on Today at 01:10:29 PM

Yes, he's got to keep his starving country informed on where to find the best bark to eat and which hills have the best grass to fill their stomachs (and no that is not a joke). Ill root for North Korea just because it could make those poor citizens forget about the physical and psychological pain they endure everyday under a completely insane ruler.

You missed the joke in the Kim Jong Il quote. It's from Team America.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 02:54:13 PM »
You missed the joke in the Kim Jong Il quote. It's from Team America.

really? i love that movie. Whoops sorry to bring the topic down haha. I will really be rooting for them though.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2009, 02:58:27 PM »
MEXICO, MEXICO!!!

Nice draw for El Tri.

Host countries are usually pretty tough especially in the first round, but I think we can handle France and Uruguay.