[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Is MU for real this year? part 2  (Read 1825 times)

mviale

• All American
Is MU for real this year? part 2
« on: January 04, 2008, 06:07:05 PM »
the test continues
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

chapman

• All American
Re: Is MU for real this year? part 2
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:20:08 PM »
Here's something to add...reasons we're better than last year:

-Everyone is a year older.  Instead of starting a freshman, three sophomores, and a junior with a junior and a freshman coming off the bench and being called a young team, we start four juniors and sophomore with two seniors and a sophomore coming off the bench.

-Depth.  Acker can play a good amount and has third-year experience.  Christopherson is a heck of a lot better than other teams' 6th guards.  Lawrence Blackledge also wasn't a contributor at all last year and has earned himself some playing time.  Add in the maturity of Cubillan and the improvement of Burke and this team goes 11 deep. 

-James has improved.  Though his numbers points/rebounds/assists numbers don't show much (if any) improvement from last year, his overall play is improved.  His shots are taken mostly within the offense, and his field goal, three-point, and free throw percentages are all improved, he's played great D on the other teams' point guards, and he's much more consistant.  How many first halfs did he score 4 points or less in last year? 

-Hayward is the most improved player.  He has to be one of the most improved players in the country too.  He averaged 6.6 ppg, 3.6 rpg, had a total of 10 assists, and shot 42.8%, including 20.8% (10-48) from long range last year.  This year he's averaging 13.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg, already has 9 assists, and is shooting 58.3%, including 44.4% (8-18) on 3-pointers.  He's also been consistent, which he wasn't last year.

-The offense plays a complete game and can score a ton.  Last year we would have a bad half, even against cupcakes.  There's also no confusion against zones.  Last year it seemed like we would sit and dribble the ball until the shot clock was winding down and throw up a desperation three or rely on McNeal to make an insane drive through a supposedly inpenetrable zone to score all our points against zones.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 08:50:26 PM »
-The offense plays a complete game and can score a ton.  Last year we would have a bad half, even against cupcakes.  There's also no confusion against zones.  Last year it seemed like we would sit and dribble the ball until the shot clock was winding down and throw up a desperation three or rely on McNeal to make an insane drive through a supposedly inpenetrable zone to score all our points against zones.

In general, all our guards seem to be much better at working the seams of the zone.  Making an extra pass or two, knowing when to pull up or kick out, or finding Ooze or Burke in the alley, all three areas have essentially erased any notion that you can beat MU simply by throwing up a zone.

The other thing I think I mentioned before, we seem to be much more comfortable not adjusting to the other team, but forcing them to adjust to us.  Providence pulled Hanke--we didn't go with a Burke/Ooze/Hayward front line.  I think last year we would have seen more accommodation for the other team--this year we're playing our game. 

Third, despite protests from the usual suspects, we are much more effective on transition opportunities this year.  Outside of Duke, we've been effective in every game since, including Providence.  The thought that it "wont work" in the Big East is being proven wrong game in and game out.  We may not play 40 minutes of hell, but you can count on a five minute stretch where we'll extend the lead on three or four quick transition baskets, as we saw when building the big lead against PC last night.

Fourth, team quickness is if not improved, at very least much more visible.  Watching games like UL/UC after seeing several MU games, one almost gets the impression that everyone else is playing in slow motion.   MU is just operating at a completely different speed than the rest of the league.

I think Providence was a good test--however WVU is going to be one of the two or three most difficult games all season.  A win here suggests that not only will MU contend for the league title, but an undefeated league season is not unthinkable.   Note I'm not predicting an undefeated season--I'm just saying I don't see any games that will be more difficult--including Georgetown at home, @Notre Dame and @Louisville.  Nothings a gimme, but nothing will be more difficult, either. 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 10:18:11 PM »
I agree with most of these comments.  These guys have played 3 yrs together and we are seeing the benefits of no transfers or early NBA departures.  James departure would have been painful. 

New concern is to work the younger guys into the rotation - acker, cube, hazel and scott.  However, we could very well have our big 3 back again.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Pardner

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 11:29:11 PM »

Third, despite protests from the usual suspects, we are much more effective on transition opportunities this year.  Outside of Duke, we've been effective in every game since, including Providence.  The thought that it "wont work" in the Big East is being proven wrong game in and game out.  We may not play 40 minutes of hell, but you can count on a five minute stretch where we'll extend the lead on three or four quick transition baskets, as we saw when building the big lead against PC last night.

Dead on 84--Transitionals have been a growing part of the college offensive schemes since the shot clock and trey were introduced.  The importance was accelerated further with more and more of the Bigs going straight to the NBA from high school (or now, after one year)--and thus, further increasing the value of transitionals to reflect the supply of talent at guard.   (Note:  definitionally, transitionals should not to be confused with fast break points here). 

I think it was Bilas during the Memphis-Georgetown game who did a synopsis of the importance of transitionals today.  GU was setting up the Princeton Offense with 18 seconds to go on the shot clock in the 2nd half, while Memphis sped up their tempo and jumped right into their AASAA (Attack, Attack, Skip, Attack, Attack) set.  It was a masterpiece by Coach Cal....it is a planned scheme and is very disciplined play, despite what some observers may say.  The winner of these two contrasting styles in a game will be determined by the match-ups...and certainly great teams must adjust their sets to play in both styles of tempo throughout a game.

MU is doing a great job with transitionals so far.  We have been a team of spurts, putting a series of nice runs together within our games--leading to the impressive blow outs.  Henry, I don't know if you track this stat, but it would be interesting to see.  This is by design and is a direct output of our incredible depth.  No matter the rotation, we are getting great energy with our line-ups--on top of the varied looks we can fold in.  This will be huge on the road with our experienced and deep guard play.  It is also nice to see our backline progress as well.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 11:33:37 PM by Pardner »

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 11:37:27 AM »
my answer to part two is yes

HelixAir6

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 01:01:40 PM »
I think the best attribute that this team has shown this year, is that they can still play at full throttle into the final minutes of a game.  We are so deep and in such great physical shape, that even if we get off to a sluggish start, we will be able to battle our way back (or way ahead, if we have a good start) into the game.  They showed this by how they just blew away Providence in the second half, and i think those close games that we had earlier in the season are going to help us if we are in a tight one down the stretch.  Its a great feeling to have, that know matter what happens early in a game, this team should always be able to be in it at the end.

feedback