[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Random Thoughts...  (Read 7670 times)

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: Random Thoughts...
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2008, 01:14:59 PM »
just got these in an email....thought they were pretty funny.

Assicons.

> (_!_) a regular ass   
>   
>   (__!__) a fat ass
>
> (!) a tight ass
>
> (_*_) a sore ass
>
> {_!_} a swishy ass
>
> (_O_) an ass that's been around
>   
> (_x_) kiss my ass
>
> (_X_) leave my ass alone
>
> (_zzz_) a tired ass
>
> (_E=mc2_) a smart ass
>
> (_$_) Money coming out of his ass
>
> (_?_) Dumb Ass

what the hell is a 'swishy ass'?

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2008, 01:17:12 PM »
I just assume that anybody claiming to have no problem with our nickname is being sarcastic.

I assmume that anyone who will constantly bring it up is a bitter old man who when not on an internet board is sitting on a deck shaking his cane at the neighborhood children.

MU

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 01:20:14 PM »
Higgins was doing the ND-WVU game last night.  Burr is the Higgins look a like.  WVU looked awful last night.  They were overmatched by what looked like a really good ND team.  Harongody was a beast dropping 29 points and 16 rebounds.  He'll be our toughest matchup next week without a doubt. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 01:51:41 PM »
I just assume that anybody claiming to have no problem with our nickname is being sarcastic.

Either that or having enough perspective not to become obsessed with something as trivial as a college sports nickname.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 02:17:22 PM »
Most of the questionable calls/noncalls last night can be attributed to Burr. When he or Higgins is in the house, I pay much closer attention to which ref is potentially "at fault" when I see something differently than they do.

From my seat last night, I thought it was Higgins, not Burr, there.
On a related note, I apologize to Higgins for several things I may have said about him last night during the game. They still apply, just not last night. ;)

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 02:17:31 PM »

Either that or having enough perspective not to become obsessed with something as trivial as a college sports nickname.

Not bitter and not obsessed. Just dumbfounded, astonished and flabbergasted that there are individuals like yourself who not only accept the fact that the university has ignored a huge majority of its constituents for a dozen years but who actually come to embrace what amounts to Marquette demanding that its fans grab their ankles every time they see the team nickname or logo in print.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2008, 02:20:52 PM »
Incidentally, do you ever wonder why MU decided to revisit the nickname a couple years ago?

Does anybody think it's because of great and loyal fans like Pakuni and Rawdog who take whatever is given to them? Me neither.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 02:29:54 PM »

Not bitter and not obsessed. Just dumbfounded, astonished and flabbergasted that there are individuals like yourself who not only accept the fact that the university has ignored a huge majority of its constituents for a dozen years but who actually come to embrace what amounts to Marquette demanding that its fans grab their ankles every time they see the team nickname or logo in print.

Not that I am any more thrilled about the nickname change than you are but after reading your argument my first thought is "therein lies the rub".  You say "constituents" which is defined in the dictionary as basically a person who has a vote (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/constituents).  Marquette is NOT a democracy.  It is a private institution run by a board of which the membership is not determined by fans, alums, etc. as a whole.  They do not answer to students/parents/fans/alums/boosters/citizens/shareholders/etc.  There is ignoring going on by the board of trustees but they are completely entitled to do so - just as you are within your rights to ignore your neighbors if they protest the name you choose for a kid or pet.  The only influences that can really be exerted by those groups are money (which the board has also ignored - e.g. passing up on accepting donations with a warrior condition) and application rates/quality (which are not even close to being worrisome these days).
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 02:49:47 PM »

I do not like, and I certainly do not embrace, the nickname. I just think being angry/bitter/obsessed (sure you're not) over something so insigificant is a massive waste of time and energy. I mean, of all the things in the world deserving of one's outrage, a stupid college nickname shouldn't be high on anyone's list.
Hell, it's not even high on my list of expectations from my alma mater. I expect MU to provide a quality education. To maintain a solid academic reputation. To provide an attractive campus and facilities. To run clean and, hopefully, successful athletic programs.
A nickname? If they're doing all of the above, they can call themselves the Pretzels, for all I care. It just doesn't matter. Marquette is no better or worse because of what the university chooses to call its athletic teams.
You can make your own list of priorities, I suppose. But please do us a favor and act like those of us with a little different perspective - I'd suggest a little more perspective - are somehow kowtowing to the university.
Until then, keep on fighting the good fight against the tyranny of a nickname that you - gasp! - don't like.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2008, 03:10:30 PM »
Until then, keep on fighting the good fight against the tyranny of a nickname that you - gasp! - don't like.

You're damn right I will!!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2008, 03:24:51 PM »

Assicons.

> (_!_) a regular ass   
>   
>   (__!__) a fat ass
>
> (!) a tight ass
>
> (_*_) a sore ass
>
> {_!_} a swishy ass
>
>   
> (_x_) kiss my ass
>
>
> (_zzz_) a tired ass
>
> (_E=mc2_) a smart ass
>
>
> (_?_) Dumb Ass

probably would be better if referred to as a "jiggly ass."  But I just cut and paste.  Though you know all about the "jiggly ass."

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2008, 03:41:16 PM »
"jiggly ass."

click, click, click, click, click.. ugh.  :'(
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2008, 04:02:37 PM »
I suppose if we were the Warriors instead of the Golden Eagles we would be a top 10 team in the nation...oh wait, that's right, we are exactly that right now...how does that work?!  I mean, our nickname is the GOLDEN EAGLES?!  The rest of the nation must SUCK if a team with the nickname "Golden Eagles" is in the top 10!!  We all know, Warriors sounds much "cooler," more intimidating, whatever you want to say than the Golden Eagles...I think a large majority of people will agree with you on that, so let's all cry.  We've heard it...OVER...AND OVER...AND OVER (and those go on for a while) and it does no good...you can start to keep it to yourself instead of bringing it up EVERY chance you get...it's getting old.  We are the Golden Eagles and we're a pretty darn good team.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 04:07:13 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2008, 04:12:54 PM »
Does anybody think that the turnout was affected by the late starting time? I know that's why I decided not to go.

You didn't go to the game because it started at 8 and not 7.30?

That's pathetic.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2008, 04:15:41 PM »
We're a great team. No doubt about it. A great team, with a lame nickname!!

And Coobey -- not that I need to explain myself to you, but I live in Chicago. An hour on a frigid night is a significant factor. Unless you drive almost 2 hours each way to watch the Warriors, I suggest to you that "pathetic" is not an appropriate description of my decision not to attend.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2008, 04:22:49 PM »
At least you admit we're a great team.  And that wasn't directed just at you...it's to everyone who continues to complain about it.  I agree, Warriors is MUCH better than Golden Eagles.  I'd even take Hilltoppers (maybe because i went to Marquette High for 3 years and we were the Hilltoppers?) over the Golden Eagles, but it's not going to change and our nickname does not change the team we put out on the court.  I'm satisfied having a lame nickname but a great team.  Much rather have it that way than a great nickname and a terrible team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2008, 04:23:05 PM »
Incidentally, do you ever wonder why MU decided to revisit the nickname a couple years ago?

Does anybody think it's because of great and loyal fans like Pakuni and Rawdog who take whatever is given to them? Me neither.

Excuse me?  I'm 26, i didn't know what city marquette was in during the name change.  I'm sorry if you want me to fake outrage in order to prove my fanhood to some bitter pathetic old men.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2008, 04:26:27 PM »

Assicons.

> (_!_) a regular ass   
>   
>   (__!__) a fat ass
>
> (!) a tight ass
>
> (_*_) a sore ass
>
> {_!_} a swishy ass
>
>   
> (_x_) kiss my ass
>
>
> (_zzz_) a tired ass
>
> (_E=mc2_) a smart ass
>
>
> (_?_) Dumb Ass

probably would be better if referred to as a "jiggly ass."  But I just cut and paste.  Though you know all about the "jiggly ass."

Yeah i almost didn't post that because i was leaving myself so wide open... kinda like your sister.

Phi Iota Gamma 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2008, 04:27:09 PM »

Assicons.

> (_!_) a regular ass   
>   
>   (__!__) a fat ass
>
> (!) a tight ass
>
> (_*_) a sore ass
>
> {_!_} a swishy ass
>
>   
> (_x_) kiss my ass
>
>
> (_zzz_) a tired ass
>
> (_E=mc2_) a smart ass
>
>
> (_?_) Dumb Ass

(☝) Up your ass
(☮) Piece of Ass
(✞) Righteous Ass
There is nothing less productive than doing more efficiently that which should not be done at all-Peter Drucker

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2008, 04:57:06 PM »

are you really about to call someone out, right after saying you didn't go to a game because it started later than normal?

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2008, 05:32:46 PM »

And Coobey -- not that I need to explain myself to you, but I live in Chicago. An hour on a frigid night is a significant factor. Unless you drive almost 2 hours each way to watch the Warriors, I suggest to you that "pathetic" is not an appropriate description of my decision not to attend.

Imagine, a car in this day and age without heat!

And just out of curiosity, how much colder did you think it was going to get in that extra half hour?  I can just picture the logic. "Boy, because this game starts at 8:00, it's going to be 10 degrees when I leave the game--that's just too cold.  If only it started at 7:30--THEN  the temperature would be 11 and I'd be okay."

Fact is, a real warrior wouldn't let a little thing like the marginal drop in temperature by leaving 30 minutes later affect him that much.  And a Chicagoan complaining about cold temperatures in January is lame.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2008, 06:08:13 PM »
Wow.

This thread is refreshing.

PRN, I gotta respect your passion, but man I just think it's misplaced.

Also, I've asked the question before, but where are all of the Hiltopper alumni? Why aren't they "outraged" like the Warrior alumni?

Are they just too old to care and/or be heard from? (that's a serious question)

To be honest, I think most people will say that they would prefer Warriors but are really somewhat indifferent because the school has a ton of stuff going right... and the nickname just seems so small.

I mean, the nickname was Warriors back in 1990, but was the school better off back then? Wasn't that one of the highest crime and lowest enrollment years? (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have the research right in front of me).

MU has relatively low crime, huge enrollment, great donations, better sports, better campus, etc. etc. Now, I'm not saying that's because of the nickname change... but I am saying it's hard for me to believe that the nickname is really hurting MU.

I know there have been some "Warrior stipulations" attached to donations that weren't accepted, but MU has still been able to find enough money to do most of the stuff they want.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 06:11:44 PM by 2002mualum »

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2008, 06:33:37 PM »
He'd get home at midnight! some people have to work the following day, that extra hour of sleep can be pretty important!  I can understand not going to an 8pm tip if you live 2 hrs away and have to be up early in the morning. Cut the guy some slack for that at least.

Warhawk Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2008, 06:39:29 PM »
 While there was so many positives, I think the Ooze should receive the biggest improvement award.  His hands are like glue even with the Brett Favre passes he receives.  Then he has found away to become automatic around the hoop.  Kudos to Ooze.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »

Also, I've asked the question before, but where are all of the Hiltopper alumni? Why aren't they "outraged" like the Warrior alumni?

Are they just too old to care and/or be heard from? (that's a serious question)

Here's a serious answer.  MU hasn't been the "Hilltoppers" since 1954, so I'd venture a guess that, yes, there is no outrage since that alumni base is 74 plus years old, and "Warriors" became deeply ingrained into the MU identity for forty years. 
Ludum habemus.