[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Finally someone mentions Crowder  (Read 16266 times)

Clam Crowder

• All American
Finally someone mentions Crowder
« on: August 25, 2010, 10:39:41 PM »
Seems like one of the first times he has been mentioned...Jay Bilas knows all

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebooksummershootaround100825/big-east

10. Marquette: Buzz Williams did a remarkable job last season, guiding a small team to a 22-12 record and a fifth-place finish in the Big East. Gone is versatile star Lazar Hayward and guards David Cubillan and Maurice Acker, but Williams returns Darius Johnson-Odom, one of the best 3-point threats in the Big East. Jimmy Butler had a really good season, averaging 14.7 points and 6.4 rebounds, while leading Marquette in offensive boards. Marquette was primarily a 3-point-shooting team last season, but Hayward, Cubillan and Acker combined for 165 treys and that productivity will be tough to replace. The Golden Eagles (I miss the Warriors) will be young in key spots, especially at guard, which can really punish you in the Big East. Incoming freshmen Vander Blue and Jamail Jones will have to play right away, and JC star Jae Crowder will bring a level of toughness and post game that will help right away.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: Finally someone mentions Crowder
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 12:25:04 AM »
You mean:

"Finally someone mentions that they miss the 'Warriors'"
SS Marquette

boyonthedock

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:30:10 AM »
really? it only takes one espn/cbs game max to hear the announcers lament the name change, even 15+ years later. no one likes the eagles moniker in the national media, and they arent afraid to say so.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:48:30 AM »
I miss the Warriors too.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 07:35:27 AM »
They're still the Warriors to me.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 07:48:35 AM »
Who are these "golden eagles" of whom you speak?  Warriors!

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:50:12 AM »
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 07:50:39 AM »
so, what you take from Bilas picking MU 10th in Big East, and out of post season consideration, is that he misses the Warriors.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 08:00:09 AM »
They will always be the Warriors---nix the PC nickname!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 08:33:35 AM »
so, what you take from Bilas picking MU 10th in Big East, and out of post season consideration, is that he misses the Warriors.

+1.  The lowest prediction I've seen so far, but if you give the old farts their hard-on by dropping the Warriors name they wouldn't notice if he put us behind DePaul.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 08:35:58 AM »
Pretty remarkable that still 16 years later...national media mention they still miss the Warriors..commentators still refer to MU as the Warriors on occasion.  Clearly that name had a lot of traction and association with MU - why it could never go back to Warriors with an edit to our logo/mascot..I'll never know??

Come to think about it..is there even an Eagle on our current uniforms??  Why not just call us Warriors and use our MU crest as our logo  It's not like the Badgers have a Badger on their uniform..or the Wolverines a Wolverine on their uniform.  LAME.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 08:45:05 AM »
+1.  The lowest prediction I've seen so far, but if you give the old farts their hard-on by dropping the Warriors name they wouldn't notice if he put us behind DePaul.

Somebody should lease the Turner's and turn it into a Warrior themed bar. Surely that would work!

Bunch of older guys walking around sporting wood, talking about the good 'ol days.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 08:51:15 AM »
Somebody should lease the Turner's and turn it into a Warrior themed bar. Surely that would work!

Bunch of older guys walking around sporting wood, talking about the good 'ol days.

Wow.  Bad day?

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 09:22:23 AM »
Warriors.  Definitely.  Check out my handle.   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 09:24:53 AM »
Wow.  Bad day?
it is never a bad day when you're old and can still sport wood without Rx

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 09:27:22 AM »
Jesus, the warrior thing is so freaking lame.  We're the Golden Eagles, we're never going to go back to warriors.  Its time to move on and stop crying.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 09:33:07 AM »
Wow.  Bad day?

Nah, I wasn't trying to be mean spirited.

Just being a smart-ass about how every time somebody utters the word "Warriors" people come out of the woodwork with "YEA!" or "+1" or the ever popular: "Warriors Forever!"

With this amount of support, it's surprising nobody has capitalized on it (other than the few t-shirt shops out there).

Couldn't there be a "Warrior Bar" or at least a once a year "Warrior Party" held at a bar? Could there be a larger clothing line, or are there copyright issues? (not sure).

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 09:37:55 AM »
Nah, I wasn't trying to be mean spirited.

Just being a smart-ass about how every time somebody utters the word "Warriors" people come out of the woodwork with "YEA!" or "+1" or the ever popular: "Warriors Forever!"

With this amount of support, it's surprising nobody has capitalized on it (other than the few t-shirt shops out there).

Couldn't there be a "Warrior Bar" or at least a once a year "Warrior Party" held at a bar? Could there be a larger clothing line, or are there copyright issues? (not sure).

You would probably get a cease and desist from MU Legal....and it isn't just us old farts.....Ask the people who were students in 94-95.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 10:41:46 AM »
Come to think about it..is there even an Eagle on our current uniforms??  Why not just call us Warriors and use our MU crest as our logo  

Ners, I have said this before.  MU is intentionally de-emphasizing the Golden Eagles for men's basketball.  A lot of their other athletic gear does have the eagle's head logo, but not basketball.  They barely even mention the phrase.

IMO, this is the concession they are making.  They are not going to officially go back to Warriors, but don't mind if people use it "unofficially" (like many do here).  But the Golden Eagle references are completely gone.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 10:47:17 AM »

I can't really blame people for placing us 10th.  Our best player, and two of our starting guards graduated.  We return two very solid starters, but there are questions all over the place with a bunch of unproven players.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2010, 10:50:18 AM »
Jesus, the warrior thing is so freaking lame.  We're the Golden Eagles, we're never going to go back to warriors.  Its time to move on and stop crying.

Doe K.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2010, 11:08:58 AM »

I've come to begrudgingly accept MU will not go back to Warriors, but never in a million years will I ('91 grad), or many others, ever identify MU with Golden Eagles. Even aside from not being Warriors, it's a lame name.  It's not original and doesn't seem to have any real connection with the school. Sorry, We are Marquette, but will never consider "us" the Golden Eagles.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 11:17:05 AM »

there are questions all over the place with a bunch of unproven players.

Aside from Pitt and Nova, arent there question marks and uproven players that need to step-up on every team in the conference? Doesnt this happen every year?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 11:28:24 AM »
I thought this thread was about 2010-2011 and Crowder, not a nickname thats been gone for almost a generation now.... :o

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 11:34:00 AM »
Aside from Pitt and Nova, arent there question marks and uproven players that need to step-up on every team in the conference? Doesnt this happen every year?

But MU seems to have more questions, and more fundamental questions.  Relying on a PG that was injured last year...expecting freshment to make significant impacts...lack of size with experience....  This isn't just about a sixth man stepping into a starting role.