'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If Buycks becomes the starting PG again, the season is over  (Read 5143 times)

nomorebuycks

• Scholarship Player
If Buycks becomes the starting PG again, the season is over
« on: December 27, 2010, 09:38:17 AM »
Let Junior get the minutes with Blue backing him up.

Junior and Gardner have the potential.  Let them take some lumps but gain the experience.

Buycks' decision making might be the worst on the whole MU roster.  He's ill-suited for PG.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: If Buycks becomes the starting PG again, the season is over
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 09:39:18 AM »
Just like our season was over last year with Cubes and Acker at point?  Oh wait.........

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »

Junior and Gardner have the potential.  Let them take some lumps but gain the experience.

Buycks' decision making might be the worst on the whole MU roster.  He's ill-suited for PG.

Yeah because we lost Reggie who never turned the ball over. 

nomorebuycks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 09:52:26 AM »
Yeah because we lost Reggie who never turned the ball over. 

Smith didn't even want to play the position.  The guy with the most potential at PG is Blue.  The guy who will hurt you the least in the present...the safe choice... is Cadougan.  Buycks doesn't have the BB intelligence/instincts to play PG.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:53:20 AM »
Buzz's man crush will continue all year.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 10:16:06 AM »
Buycks is by far the best option at PG.  Not a great option overall I know...but the best option.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 10:22:26 AM »

Junior and Gardner have the potential.  Let them take some lumps but gain the experience.

Buycks' decision making might be the worst on the whole MU roster.  He's ill-suited for PG.

Look at the numbers. Buycks is averaging 9.7 ppg, 3.6 rpg, and 4.7 apg. Those are damn good numbers. He's also got a 2.1/1 assist to turnover ratio. So for all your pissing and moaning about how bad he is, it's clear to anyone watching that he's been pretty darn good for us. Add in that he's been one of our most consistent threats from 3-point range, excellent from the free throw line (81%), and does a good job of driving to the rack and there's not much to complain about. Is he an ideal point guard? Of course not. Because he's not a natural point guard. He's a slashing 2, but he's been cast in that role and done better than anyone would have reasonably expected. Buycks has been a catalyst for most of the season and is one of the few guys who is obviously bringing maximum effort on every trip up the court. No, he's not a perfect player, but in a year when no one has stepped up to lead and DJO has clearly not found a consistent stroke, Buycks is out there giving it his all constantly and showing more heart as a senior than I would have expected from a guy who was little more than a role-player a year ago.

Your negativity over Buycks is staggering and uncalled for. I'm not saying that there's never call to criticize a guy, but it seems as though your sole calling in life is to run this 21-year-old kid down.

edit: ahem..don't get too riled up.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:47:51 AM by rocky_warrior »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 10:48:14 AM »
For all the hate that Buycks gets from some people on this board, I was surprised when I read his stat line...

27.7 mpg
9.7 ppg
5.0 apg
3.6 rpg
1.96 a:t ratio
1.6 steals
48% fg
33.3% 3pt fg
81% ft

In less minutes, his stats are very similar to Dominic James and his shooting percentages are quite a bit higher.  Hopefully he can keep it up during Big East play.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 10:58:23 AM »
Blue might be the best bet for point guard by the end of the season but we are in win mode right now and Buycks is our best option at point.  Smith turned the ball over a lot.  I don't see what Junior does that is exceptional other then a great pass here and there in the open court. (As we play better teams, we will not be able to run the ball as much)  And his defensive ability is not good.  Since we don't have the perfect solution to the point position, it will be timeshared by Buycks, Blue, Junior and DJO with Buycks getting the lion share of the work until someone else steps up between Blue and Junior.

Personally, with only 4 guards, I would prefer to see us go bigger and only start 2 guards between Buycks/Blue/DJO with Butler playing the 3 and Crowder the 4 for a large chunk of the game but that would mean that Crowder needs to stop getting cheap fouls and Gardner/Otule need to pick up their game to yet another level.

nomorebuycks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 11:04:11 AM »
Blue might be the best bet for point guard by the end of the season but we are in win mode right now and Buycks is our best option at point.  Smith turned the ball over a lot.  I don't see what Junior does that is exceptional other then a great pass here and there in the open court. (As we play better teams, we will not be able to run the ball as much)  And his defensive ability is not good.  Since we don't have the perfect solution to the point position, it will be timeshared by Buycks, Blue, Junior and DJO with Buycks getting the lion share of the work until someone else steps up between Blue and Junior.

Personally, with only 4 guards, I would prefer to see us go bigger and only start 2 guards between Buycks/Blue/DJO with Butler playing the 3 and Crowder the 4 for a large chunk of the game but that would mean that Crowder needs to stop getting cheap fouls and Gardner/Otule need to pick up their game to yet another level.

Cadougan does work very well with Gardner.  His entry passes are on time and accurate.   

But I'm very partial to Gardner and think that he should get the lion's share of playing time.  Or at least as much as his conditioning will allow.

mikem91288

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 11:09:32 AM »
Start Vander at the Point. Have the best player run the offense. Lets get him to the league!

Warrior in the class of 2011.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 11:15:10 AM »
Buycke's and Cadougan's time on the court will not depend on which one is starting. They are both going to play a lot.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 11:28:55 AM »
For all the hate that Buycks gets from some people on this board, I was surprised when I read his stat line...

27.7 mpg
9.7 ppg
5.0 apg
3.6 rpg
1.6 steals
48% fg
33.3% 3pt fg
81% ft

In less minutes, his stats are very similar to Dominic James and his shooting percentages are quite a bit higher.  Hopefully he can keep it up during Big East play.

Exactly!

While he's had turnovers at inopportune times he's actually been playing very well! 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 11:40:51 AM »
Outside of the two games in KC, Buycks has been really good.

I have been hard on him as well, but to go at him now is silly.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 11:55:39 AM »
I'm not sure there's anyone on the team that couldn't do better with Smith's limited mpg.  Buycks is one of the better options for those few mpg Smith got as a charity case but never earned.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 01:10:54 PM »

Get a paper bag and breathe DEEPLY into it a few times, bro.  Man, the overreaction from this board is laugh-out-loud ridiculous.  Our backup/arguably 3rd PG transferred, along with his 1ppg.  THE SKY IS FALLING. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »
Get a paper bag and breathe DEEPLY into it a few times, bro.  Man, the overreaction from this board is laugh-out-loud ridiculous.  Our backup/arguably 3rd PG transferred, along with his 1ppg.  THE SKY IS FALLING. 

Hate to lose a player that we were excited about having...but I think this is the proper perspective here.  Not to diminish Smith's role on the team at all, and I wish him well, but the sky is not falling.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 01:27:07 PM »

27.7 mpg
9.7 ppg
5.0 apg
3.6 rpg
1.6 steals
48% fg
33.3% 3pt fg
81% ft

In less minutes, his stats are very similar to Dominic James and his shooting percentages are quite a bit higher.  Hopefully he can keep it up during Big East play.
The bog thing with Buycks is that he does not make others better with his play.  His play of the offensive end is very much dribble/one-on-one oriented.  He'll need to adjust in the days and weeks ahead along with improving his defense.  He is capable and I'm sure he'll get the job done in his own way.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 02:05:09 PM »
Smith didn't even want to play the position.  The guy with the most potential at PG is Blue.  The guy who will hurt you the least in the present...the safe choice... is Cadougan.  Buycks doesn't have the BB intelligence/instincts to play PG.

I've said all along I'd like to see JC at point, and I'd like to see Blue develop at that spot as well as it would help him with his NBA aspirations.  Obviously Buzz feels differently, and you figure he knows a little bit more than you or I.  That being said, anyone who bashes Buycks game as much as you do, and carries such a stupid handle on this board, doesn't go far with me.  Why would you bash a college kid who's working his tail off for his team/university?  Hell, I don't care if Smith leaves, but if you want to bash someone there's a guy that just quit on his team because he wasn't getting enough playing time at his choice position, as a freshmen, in the BEAST, while standing no more than 6ft tall.

At least you and Willy are on the same page...you know the guy who couldn't figure out why Buzz was sitting Crowder in the first half after he picked up his second foul, but yet knows more about the rotation Buzz should use than Buzz does.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 02:14:17 PM »

27.7 mpg
9.7 ppg
5.0 apg
3.6 rpg
1.6 steals
48% fg
33.3% 3pt fg
81% ft

UH OH!  FACTS!  That totally destroys my preconceived ideas of what I BELIEVE!  I BELIEVE Buycks is a bad player, so I am going to just stick my fingers in my ears, close my eyes, and scream, "LALALALALA"

chren21

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 02:21:49 PM »
UH OH!  FACTS!  That totally destroys my preconceived ideas of what I BELIEVE!  I BELIEVE Buycks is a bad player, so I am going to just stick my fingers in my ears, close my eyes, and scream, "LALALALALA"

Close but he actually sticks his fingers in his ears and yells "no more buycks, no more buycks, no more buycks..."

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 02:59:14 PM »
Close but he actually sticks his fingers in his ears and yells "no more buycks, no more buycks, no more buycks..."

I believe the two of you are making an incorrect assumption that he has something between his ears to cover.

Steve Buscemi

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 03:11:28 PM »
typical/controversial/ridiculous nomorebuycks talk... he needs his own side-bar
"I work out twice a day, six days a week and on Sunday I go to church."  -John Dawson

feedback