[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Thoughts and prayers for Oxford, Mi.  (Read 13847 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Thoughts and prayers for Oxford, Mi.
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »
We've had threads here on Scoop -- usually after one of these needless sprees ends up with multiple deaths -- in which numerous common-sense suggestions to help reduce gun violence have been made.

I mean, how about a law stating that if daddy and mommy buy a gun, they have to provide evidence that they will lock it up securely, where the kids can't get to it? And if they fail to do so, and something like this Oakland incident happens, they would be held accountable and face serious prison time.

Wouldn't that be the definition of a common-sense law that would save lives? Whose 2nd Amendment rights would that take away?

The problem is those are not in the current laws of Michigan.  You can't alter laws on the fly which as I said is a big prob for the prosecution.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2021, 04:14:36 PM »
The problem is those are not in the current laws of Michigan.  You can't alter laws on the fly which as I said is a big prob for the prosecution.

Totally agree. I made that suggestion irrespective of the Michigan situation.

Over the years, many Scoopers have suggested numerous possible ways to reduce gun violence. None of us claim they would end gun violence, just as laws against drunk-driving don't end people getting killed by drunk drivers.

Today, I'm proposing what I suggested as a future law. I think it would save lives without infringing on any American's 2nd Amendment rights.

It's an example of the many things we could do to keep something like what happened in Oakland from happening next time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2021, 05:29:03 PM »
It's clear to me that the parents are morally culpable, and of course they ARE guilty, but I think manslaughter is going to be a high bar to clear.

I'm equally upset at the school that they could look at the facts of that day and not immediately send him home for a minimum of 24-48 hours. No tolerance, and it doesn't even need to be punitive. Attend virtual class until a cooling off period, until counseling metrics are fulfilled. Separately, an articles check should have immediately been triggered. They can and should be held civilly liable...the timeline of events is so disturbing and heart-wrenching.

As a parent, I unfortunately cannot protect other parents from being awful. But I should be able to expect that my school should be able to intercept and protect my children against them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2021, 06:04:39 PM »
The strategy will be to ignore it and claim anyone talking about stricter gun laws is "politicizing it". That been the playbook in the past.

The other favorite line every single time one of these happens:

"Now is not the time to talk about this ... "

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2021, 07:03:43 PM »
Parents are on the run. Probably looking for a militia for protection.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2021, 08:35:07 PM »
Parents are on the run. Probably looking for a militia for protection.
You can't help but make every one of your posts a political thing, can you?     
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2021, 08:49:57 PM »

You must be new here  ;D

We have learned that in addition to being horrific, disgustingly bad parents...they aren't too bright either.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2021, 08:56:53 PM »

You must be new here  ;D

We have learned that in addition to being horrific, disgustingly bad parents...they aren't too bright either.
I didn’t think I had to make my comment on real.

Personally, i think they supplied the gun to the kid so he could do what he did.  That’s how horrific and disgusting I think they are. But it’s like clockwork that Jockey makes anything he doesn’t like a political issue. Can’t it just be about what horrible disgusting idiots the parents are, without interjecting politics into it? 

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2021, 09:16:58 PM »
We've had threads here on Scoop -- usually after one of these needless sprees ends up with multiple deaths -- in which numerous common-sense suggestions to help reduce gun violence have been made.

I mean, how about a law stating that if daddy and mommy buy a gun, they have to provide evidence that they will lock it up securely, where the kids can't get to it? And if they fail to do so, and something like this Oakland incident happens, they would be held accountable and face serious prison time.

Wouldn't that be the definition of a common-sense law that would save lives? Whose 2nd Amendment rights would that take away?

You mean like the law passed in Connecticut in 2019 called *Ethan's Law".

If there's a child under 18 in the house, guns must be locked up.

https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/News/Press-Releases/2019/06-2019/Governor-Lamont-Signs-Ethans-Law-to-Strengthen-Requirements-on-the-Safe-Storage-of-Firearms

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2021, 11:14:38 PM »

It was just a joke, but an hour or two in your safe space and you will be good as new.

You'll be OK, little buddy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2021, 12:09:37 AM »
You mean like the law passed in Connecticut in 2019 called *Ethan's Law".

If there's a child under 18 in the house, guns must be locked up.

https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/News/Press-Releases/2019/06-2019/Governor-Lamont-Signs-Ethans-Law-to-Strengthen-Requirements-on-the-Safe-Storage-of-Firearms

Yes. Let's do that nationally. There are so many other things that can and should be done.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2021, 12:13:22 AM »
It was just a joke, but an hour or two in your safe space and you will be good as new.

You'll be OK, little buddy.
Fortunately, I will. Because I don’t get butt hurt like you do.  Thanks  Jock.

5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2021, 12:53:47 AM »
Yes. Let's do that nationally. There are so many other things that can and should be done.

Looks to have stalled in committee after being introduced to congress in February.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/748/all-actions?overview=closed#tabs

tower912

• All American
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2021, 01:54:33 AM »
The parents have been located and arreated.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2021, 07:41:58 AM »
if the school was so concerned with lil ethan, that he was exhibiting potentially harmful behavior, enough to call in the parents(a lotta good that did) why didn't they(the school) search the kid's backpack and/or call the police regardless?  aside from the parents, the school has got to be partially liable here as well. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2021, 08:27:54 AM »
if the school was so concerned with lil ethan, that he was exhibiting potentially harmful behavior, enough to call in the parents(a lotta good that did) why didn't they(the school) search the kid's backpack and/or call the police regardless?  aside from the parents, the school has got to be partially liable here as well.

Not sure anyone has said they're not, and in fact the opposite. I was actually wondering if there'd be grounds for charges against them as well. They will be held liable in civil court

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2021, 08:55:59 AM »
Did the shooter report earlier that he was being bullied to parents or school staff?
Was there a specific event that triggered the shooting? 
Who were the victims in relationship to the shooter?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2021, 09:24:51 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2021, 09:36:03 AM »
Looks to have stalled in committee after being introduced to congress in February.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/748/all-actions?overview=closed#tabs

Our elected officials hard at work, stonewalling legislation that would save their constituents' lives.

And in other news:

LUMBERTON, N.C. (WBTW) — A second grade student has been suspended for a year after bringing a handgun to school, according to Glen Gordon Burnette III, the spokesperson for Robeson County Schools, marking at least the fifth known incident of a student in the Public Schools of Robeson County being found with a gun in school since late August.

https://www.wbtw.com/news/state-regional-news/2nd-grader-suspended-after-bringing-loaded-gun-to-lumberton-school/

Sounds like more parents who need to be held accountable but won't because NRA-funded politicians don't have the onions to pass common-sense laws that will save lives.

Why aren't the "all lives matter" people voting out politicians who don't care enough about the lives of schoolchildren to enact laws that would protect those lives?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 09:41:06 AM by MU82 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2021, 09:38:18 AM »
For a lot of the people saying the school should've done more my fiancé (HS math teacher) pointed out that schools cannot kick a minor to the street. If the parents flat out said "we're not taking him" then he can't be let go.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2021, 09:43:22 AM »
Not sure anyone has said they're not, and in fact the opposite. I was actually wondering if there'd be grounds for charges against them as well. They will be held liable in civil court

II assume we have some scoop lawyers but from what I've read it's going to be extremely difficult to hold either the parents or school criminally negligent.
This despite the fact that they clearly were and this tragedy should have never happened.  That said I do expect  the school to get sued by the victims ' parents.  From a societal standpoint I find this story extremely disturbing and I'm not talking about the 2nd amendment or the gun debate.  WTF is going on with parents in this country? 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2021, 09:43:51 AM »
Thanks, Galway. Some measure of peace for the school I hope. I'm sure it differs in every jurisdiction, but is there a bar that needs to be cleared to authorize a locker or articles check?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2021, 09:56:40 AM »
For a lot of the people saying the school should've done more my fiancé (HS math teacher) pointed out that schools cannot kick a minor to the street. If the parents flat out said "we're not taking him" then he can't be let go.

So a school cannot suspend a student if they're a minor without the parents' permission?  Are school authorities legally guardians at your fiance's school?  I'm just curious what the actual protocol is here.  Obviously a cop wasn't at the school but can't the school tell the parents we can't have him and the police are on their way if you refuse to take him into custody?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2021, 10:09:11 AM »

No, but when he has demonstrated he is a danger to himself or others, they can contact authorities to deal with it immediately. They can also search his bag. Or, have him spend the rest of the day with a counselor and a student safety officer, where they can monitor his safety and well being.

The, oh the parents don't want to take him home, so just have him go back to class without any checking for weapons/other threats etc., may be gross negligence.

Note, this isn't on the teacher. It appears the teacher did what they were supposed to by documenting the threat and immediately passing it along to the people responsible for handling the situation.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2021, 10:11:03 AM »
Our elected officials hard at work, stonewalling legislation that would save their constituents' lives.

And in other news:

LUMBERTON, N.C. (WBTW) — A second grade student has been suspended for a year after bringing a handgun to school, according to Glen Gordon Burnette III, the spokesperson for Robeson County Schools, marking at least the fifth known incident of a student in the Public Schools of Robeson County being found with a gun in school since late August.

https://www.wbtw.com/news/state-regional-news/2nd-grader-suspended-after-bringing-loaded-gun-to-lumberton-school/

Sounds like more parents who need to be held accountable but won't because NRA-funded politicians don't have the onions to pass common-sense laws that will save lives.

Why aren't the "all lives matter" people voting out politicians who don't care enough about the lives of schoolchildren to enact laws that would protect those lives?

Dems control both houses and the presidency. They could pass this if they wanted to.

feedback