[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Thoughts and prayers for Oxford, Mi.  (Read 13858 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Thoughts and prayers for Oxford, Mi.
« Reply #175 on: December 06, 2021, 06:33:56 AM »
NYT ran a "conversation" between liberal Gail Collins and conservative Bret Stephens on several subjects. Here was their exchange on this preventable tragedy ...

Collins:

On guns we’ve got another heartbreaking mass shooting at a school, this time in Michigan. For a lot of people, it shows how important it is to have laws that require gun owners to store their weapons at home in secure places where underage family members or underage anyone can’t get their hands on them. But I’m not seeing Republican leaders call for that kind of very basic, obvious reform. Interpretations, please.

Stephens:

Gail, this latest tragedy is a reminder, as the N.R.A. used to say, that people kill people — and that it’s a lot easier to kill people when certain people with unmistakable signs of serious mental illness have access to a gun in an unlocked drawer, along with plenty of ammunition. In a sane world, this shooting would, at a minimum, lead to stronger safe-storage laws, though Republicans in Michigan let just such a law wither without a vote this year. How a party that claims to prize the immanent value of human life when it comes to a zygote can be so ambivalent about safeguarding the lives of innocent teenagers at school is simply beyond me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #176 on: December 06, 2021, 11:17:45 AM »
NYT ran a "conversation" between liberal Gail Collins and conservative Bret Stephens on several subjects. Here was their exchange on this preventable tragedy ...

Collins:

On guns we’ve got another heartbreaking mass shooting at a school, this time in Michigan. For a lot of people, it shows how important it is to have laws that require gun owners to store their weapons at home in secure places where underage family members or underage anyone can’t get their hands on them. But I’m not seeing Republican leaders call for that kind of very basic, obvious reform. Interpretations, please.

Stephens:

Gail, this latest tragedy is a reminder, as the N.R.A. used to say, that people kill people — and that it’s a lot easier to kill people when certain people with unmistakable signs of serious mental illness have access to a gun in an unlocked drawer, along with plenty of ammunition. In a sane world, this shooting would, at a minimum, lead to stronger safe-storage laws, though Republicans in Michigan let just such a law wither without a vote this year. How a party that claims to prize the immanent value of human life when it comes to a zygote can be so ambivalent about safeguarding the lives of innocent teenagers at school is simply beyond me.

This is one of the reasons why I think it will be hard to convict the parents. They can simply point to the fact that the legislature wouldn't even consider this for a law, yet here they are charging someone for a crime on the same thing they didn't view worthy of establishing a law on.

Also, if it is criminal negligence to not have the gun secured, then aren't the republican legislature's also culpable for not putting in the law?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #177 on: December 06, 2021, 12:35:39 PM »
This is one of the reasons why I think it will be hard to convict the parents. They can simply point to the fact that the legislature wouldn't even consider this for a law, yet here they are charging someone for a crime on the same thing they didn't view worthy of establishing a law on.

Also, if it is criminal negligence to not have the gun secured, then aren't the republican legislature's also culpable for not putting in the law?

Oh, based on everything I've read and heard, I have little hope that those two criminally irresponsible parents will be held accountable.

Maybe a civil suit can at least make them destitute ... though there undoubtedly are congresspeople who would raise money for them. Hell, Gaetz, Gosar and Greene will probably offer them jobs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #178 on: December 06, 2021, 12:38:25 PM »
Oh, based on everything I've read and heard, I have little hope that those two criminally irresponsible parents will be held accountable.

Maybe a civil suit can at least make them destitute ... though there undoubtedly are congresspeople who would raise money for them. Hell, Gaetz, Gosar and Greene will probably offer them jobs.

Again, is there any evidence that those people are supporting the parents?  Why are we inserting this type of stuff into this topic when it doesn't look to be occurring.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #179 on: December 06, 2021, 12:48:58 PM »
Not helping yourself.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #180 on: December 06, 2021, 02:44:43 PM »

Again, is there any evidence that those people are supporting the parents?  Why are we inserting this type of stuff into this topic when it doesn't look to be occurring.

Lack of any kind of self control.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #181 on: December 06, 2021, 07:28:41 PM »
Unrelated, Gail Collins, Bret Stephens, Kristof, Rubin, Dowd, Will, Scarborough and the dopes from Congress who they allow to write these pieces can honestly throw themselves down a well.  Op-Ed pages only serve to feed the beast of $$$, and sniping about how the media is biased.  (This also goes for cable news media on both sides, who literally have shows and segments, literally designed to only only focus on “media bias”).

These writers and shows are so hilariously out of touch, but again, eye balls and cash, amiright?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #182 on: December 06, 2021, 07:46:09 PM »
Manufactured outrage is profitable.   Common sense and logic, less so.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #183 on: December 08, 2021, 12:55:14 PM »

Well Boebert did post a picture of her with her kids (all younger than the Oxford shooter) armed with either AR15's or a handgun, in front of their Christmas tree.

So it would appear at least one of "these people" seem to be perfectly ok with arming young children and letting them have access to weapons/boasting about their "presents".

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #184 on: December 08, 2021, 01:48:05 PM »
Nothing goes together like a holy Christian holiday and weapons of mass murder.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2021, 02:40:24 PM »
Nothing goes together like a holy Christian holiday and weapons of mass murder.

In case you didn't hear, there's a war on Christmas.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2021, 03:07:24 PM »
Constitutionally protected image and speech.   And she isn't doing it to impress you guys.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #187 on: December 08, 2021, 03:36:53 PM »
Constitutionally protected image and speech.   And she isn't doing it to impress you guys.

Understood. My comment on it was largely in relation to it as evidence on why it will be so hard to convict the parent. They need to prove that their actions were clearly negligent and far from the norm.

Defense attorney can point to a sitting congress woman arming her younger kids, and emphasize that keeping a firearm unlocked in a bedside drawer is pretty common place in gun-states. And emphasize that it is pretty ordinary for a kid to be looking up "accessories/ammo" for a new present he got (no red flag).

The only remaining argument is not checking his bag, which the school has said there was insufficient evidence to identify him as an immediate threat.

They will argue that this only looks like a red flag in hindsight, and that an ordinary American (e.g. congresswoman) act in a similar manner.

In my opinion, that is why formal laws need to be on the books holding gun owners accountable.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2021, 03:42:35 PM »

I have no idea why we have so many school shootings
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2021, 03:50:17 PM »
Yes, you do.  We all do.   But there are many layers and building a consensus to fix them all isn't doable.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 03:52:58 PM by tower912 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2021, 04:27:26 PM »

I'd like to believe it's all performative... but I don't believe it's all performative.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2021, 04:31:40 PM »
Well Boebert did post a picture of her with her kids (all younger than the Oxford shooter) armed with either AR15's or a handgun, in front of their Christmas tree.

So it would appear at least one of "these people" seem to be perfectly ok with arming young children and letting them have access to weapons/boasting about their "presents".

Not a gun person, don't own a gun, and am not some fervent supporter of gun rights.  However, this is a major stretch.  I knew plenty of kids who had guns and went shooting or hunting with their parents growing up and they were responsible and educated shooters/hunters.  Partially cause they were indoctrinated to it early on.

Equivocating that equally to some dipcrap parents who got their kid a gun (while also exhibiting COPIOUS amounts of poor judgement and lack of emotional intelligence) is just sloppy.  A parent letting their kid have a glass of wine with dinner at home growing up is "perfectly ok" with underage binge drinking or alcohol-based hazing cause hey, they support underage drinking in their house

tower912

• All American
« Reply #192 on: December 08, 2021, 04:33:23 PM »
Agree.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #193 on: December 08, 2021, 04:40:54 PM »
Not a gun person, don't own a gun, and am not some fervent supporter of gun rights.  However, this is a major stretch.  I knew plenty of kids who had guns and went shooting or hunting with their parents growing up and they were responsible and educated shooters/hunters.  Partially cause they were indoctrinated to it early on.

Equivocating that equally to some dipcrap parents who got their kid a gun (while also exhibiting COPIOUS amounts of poor judgement and lack of emotional intelligence) is just sloppy.  A parent letting their kid have a glass of wine with dinner at home growing up is "perfectly ok" with underage binge drinking or alcohol-based hazing cause hey, they support underage drinking in their house

The kids had weapons of war - aka assault rifles. She was not showing her support for hunting or target shooting. If you want to live in pretend-land, go ahead. But she has a history of being stone cold crazy.

We are talking life and death. Promoting the use assault rifles for underage children is nuts. Every single time no matter who does it. You know that and your 'devil's advocate' comparison is nonsense.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #194 on: December 08, 2021, 04:59:52 PM »
You guys do realize that she does this stuff to keep her name in the headlines, right?  Without intentionally inflammatory crap like this, she is 100% irrelevant.  She doesn't write legislation, she doesn't have any power whatsoever except for the power that she gets by being a bull in a China shop.

This is her entire job, and every time you get outraged or tune in to see what she does next you give her more power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKao_Pox5A

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #195 on: December 08, 2021, 06:01:13 PM »
You guys do realize that she does this stuff to keep her name in the headlines, right?  Without intentionally inflammatory crap like this, she is 100% irrelevant.  She doesn't write legislation, she doesn't have any power whatsoever except for the power that she gets by being a bull in a China shop.

This is her entire job, and every time you get outraged or tune in to see what she does next you give her more power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKao_Pox5A
Yeah, I thinkGreene is genuinely a lunatic, Boebert is just a dumbass but clever enough to ride the rightwing rage machine to endless piles of cash.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #196 on: December 08, 2021, 07:29:22 PM »
edit: I think I've gone a bit too political so backing off.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 07:36:55 PM by forgetful »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #197 on: December 08, 2021, 08:32:55 PM »
Imagine arguing over gun rights instead of our 3rd world Healthcare system that continually allows this to happen.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #198 on: December 08, 2021, 09:09:08 PM »
Imagine arguing over gun rights instead of our 3rd world Healthcare system that continually allows this to happen.

Universal healthcare stops school shootings? Good to know.

I think the prevailing attitude toward mental health in this country is an issue, but there are MYRIAD options available.  This kid wouldn’t have been put in a positive mental health space with his terrible parents if he lived in Denmark

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #199 on: December 09, 2021, 05:27:12 AM »
Universal healthcare stops school shootings? Good to know.

I think the prevailing attitude toward mental health in this country is an issue, but there are MYRIAD options available.  This kid wouldn’t have been put in a positive mental health space with his terrible parents if he lived in Denmark

Mental health care is a deflection by a certain political party when these things happen.  The idea we’d actually address affordable access to mental health care options is preposterous
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback