collapse

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1130096 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #4175 on: April 16, 2020, 11:12:31 AM »
NY extending stay at home another 2 weeks to May 15

#LastDays
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4177 on: April 16, 2020, 11:32:26 AM »

And it's such a shame because my parents and mother-in-law moved into them because they (and we) thought they would be safer and more healthy there.

It depends on the home they go to. Where I work I supervise younger developmentally challenged homes. (think 20s-40s) but we have quite a few older group homes.

I can tell you I'd never want to go there. They barley skate by on the regulations. And you can't do anything about it. Staff gets paid 10 dollars an hour. They rightfully dont care. We have a swinging door for the lowest rung of workers.

Unfortunately that swinging door is swinging one way. And when we have to few, people are going to die.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4178 on: April 16, 2020, 11:48:40 AM »
Had a meeting yesterday where our covid protocols were brought up. From leadership, basically we have a few masks, shields and gowns that will be divided up when needed. Recycled and reused. This is of course for people with developmental and behavioral issues. So this comes with increased chances of infection for anyone servicing them.

When I brought up the facts that the only way one of our residents gets covid is if one of our staff has it, what's the protocol then? They asked me to elaborate...

If one staff is infected more staff is likely. Were already short staffed. Our dsps make 10 dollars an hour. When someone goes down, were going to see them drop like flies.

What is the protocol for when 80% of staff doesn't show. Crickets.

That's pretty disturbing, UJ. Hopefully your alleged leaders shape up.

And you stay safe.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #4179 on: April 16, 2020, 11:53:52 AM »
Been a while since we have heard from those that do business with China, just curious if things are still on the upswing

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4180 on: April 16, 2020, 11:55:44 AM »
We have food lines miles and miles long. People waiting overnight hoping to get food from food banks.

At the same time, we have farmers dumping milk, and plowing crops into the ground because the market for wholesale items for the food service industry is gone (shifted to home products).

Wouldn't it have been wise for the federal government to step in, promise funds to farmers and wholesale foods if they shifted their delivery to food banks?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4181 on: April 16, 2020, 11:56:30 AM »
That's pretty disturbing, UJ. Hopefully your alleged leaders shape up.

And you stay safe.

Hopefully this pandemic forces their hands to give the lower employees a wage to actually care about their jobs (Or allow qualified individuals to be hired on) In the past they've been content to just throw out the old and bring in the new like Amazon does at warehouses.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4182 on: April 16, 2020, 12:47:47 PM »
We have food lines miles and miles long. People waiting overnight hoping to get food from food banks.

At the same time, we have farmers dumping milk, and plowing crops into the ground because the market for wholesale items for the food service industry is gone (shifted to home products).

Wouldn't it have been wise for the federal government to step in, promise funds to farmers and wholesale foods if they shifted their delivery to food banks?

Yes, it would be wise.

It makes no sense to have unemployed, underemployed, or furloughed workers who can't get food for their families while farmers are pouring perfectly good and healthy food down the drain.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4183 on: April 16, 2020, 12:50:47 PM »
Some research is now showing that obesity is the most significant risk factor other than age for bad outcomes from COVID-19, while asthma is not as big a risk as previously thought.

Not final or peer reviewed, but pretty interesting....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/us/coronavirus-cases-live-updates.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage#link-35b98df1

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:53:26 PM by GooooMarquette »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4184 on: April 16, 2020, 12:54:18 PM »
Been a while since we have heard from those that do business with China, just curious if things are still on the upswing

Yep. They are being cautious given the global situation, but we have customers basically back to full operation. Actually unfortunately had an employee in our Shenzhen office leave the company cause she was moving back to her hometown to be closer to her family. And that was something she’s wanted to do since Chinese New Year but had to put on hold for many reasons.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4185 on: April 16, 2020, 12:55:08 PM »
I guess the good news side of that is the under-representation of asthma.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4186 on: April 16, 2020, 12:59:22 PM »
Facebook is prohibiting in-person events (50+ people) through June 2021.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/zuckerberg-facebook-canceling-large-events-through-june-2021.html

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4187 on: April 16, 2020, 01:02:17 PM »
Yep. They are being cautious given the global situation, but we have customers basically back to full operation. Actually unfortunately had an employee in our Shenzhen office leave the company cause she was moving back to her hometown to be closer to her family. And that was something she’s wanted to do since Chinese New Year but had to put on hold for many reasons.

Ditto.  My sister plant in Zhongshan is fully open.  No absences.  Pushing us to ship wire because they got backorder of superconductor orders for Chinese MRI manufacturers.
Spoke with my Singapore distributor yesterday.  He's been working from home the last 2 weeks but everything is pretty much humming along there.  He said Malaysia was supposed to open back up on time after a mandated government shutdown.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4188 on: April 16, 2020, 01:54:23 PM »
Wisconsin and six other midwestern states entering a multi-state pact to manage this.  This looks like a good move.  My guess is all seven will be shut down through Memorial Day Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/CrainsChicago/status/1250848248694177792?s=20
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4189 on: April 16, 2020, 02:01:27 PM »
Some research is now showing that obesity is the most significant risk factor other than age for bad outcomes from COVID-19, while asthma is not as big a risk as previously thought.

Not final or peer reviewed, but pretty interesting....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/16/us/coronavirus-cases-live-updates.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage#link-35b98df1

I was wondering when some data on this would emerge. It makes the most sense biochemically. The renin-angiotensin-aldosterone-system (RAAS) is tightly tied to ACE/ACE2 receptor function and regulation. The biochemical function and turnover of the ACE2 receptor is tied to this system and very dynamically regulated by obesity, metabolism, and diet.

How that system is misregulated in obesity models aligns well with how SARS-COV2 infects cells. It also has a strong male/female dichotomy.

It makes a lot of sense that obesity might be one of the highest co-morbitities, and possibly that poor diet/exercise is playing a signficant role in event mildly overweight patients. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4190 on: April 16, 2020, 02:57:30 PM »
Wisconsin and six other midwestern states entering a multi-state pact to manage this.  This looks like a good move.  My guess is all seven will be shut down through Memorial Day Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/CrainsChicago/status/1250848248694177792?s=20

I like these multi-state deals. They make sense, because Mr. Covid knows no borders. Plus, more ideas, more discussion, more viewpoints can only help IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4191 on: April 16, 2020, 03:35:04 PM »
I like these multi-state deals. They make sense, because Mr. Covid knows no borders. Plus, more ideas, more discussion, more viewpoints can only help IMHO.

Bets on how many Trump supporters are suddenly big supporters of the federal government's powers?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4192 on: April 16, 2020, 03:42:10 PM »

Agreed. As someone who lives in Minnesota, I just wish our neighbors to the south and west (Iowa and the Dakotas) were closed so they could reopen with us.

As an aside, I was watching the infection rates of MN and those states closely once Walz closed MN. At the time, all four (MN, ND, SD and IA) had modest rates of about 15 cases/100k residents. Since then, MN has risen slowly, while the rest have increased much faster. Today's rates:

MN: 32/100K
ND: 52/100K
IA: 63/100K
SD: 148/100K

So yeah, physical distancing really does make a difference and COVID really can still spread in rural states.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4193 on: April 16, 2020, 04:14:40 PM »
Meanwhile at the Mayo Clinic....

Mayo Clinic’s Singing Surgeon, Dr. Elvis, Cuts EP To Aid COVID-19 Fund

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/04/16/mayo-clinics-singing-surgeon-dr-elvis-cuts-ep-to-aid-covid-19-fund/

Pretty incredible voice. Pretty awesome gesture.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #4194 on: April 16, 2020, 04:30:01 PM »

For the first time in a couple of weeks, I'm starting to worry about food availability.  Ran into a grocery store today about 930AM.  Chicken and pork sold out.  Minimal beef left.  Bought a couple of turkey breasts just cause they had them.

But they had toilet paper.

I hope it was a short term issue.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4195 on: April 16, 2020, 04:30:46 PM »
Bets on how many Trump supporters are suddenly big supporters of the federal government's powers?

Most Republicans like things done at the state level.  I love the idea of regional partnerships like this.

10th amendment, baby!

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4196 on: April 16, 2020, 04:59:07 PM »
For the first time in a couple of weeks, I'm starting to worry about food availability.  Ran into a grocery store today about 930AM.  Chicken and pork sold out.  Minimal beef left.  Bought a couple of turkey breasts just cause they had them.

But they had toilet paper.

I hope it was a short term issue.

I'm guessing it is either temporary or regional.

I shopped yesterday and meat counters were the fullest I've seen since the start of this. Only empty spots were cleaners and disinfectants.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #4197 on: April 16, 2020, 05:42:25 PM »
After hours stock market futures up big.  CNBC reporting that remdesivir is showing a lot of potential as a treatment.

Hope it is.  Would be huge.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4198 on: April 16, 2020, 05:47:37 PM »
After hours stock market futures up big.  CNBC reporting that remdesivir is showing a lot of potential as a treatment.

A bit more on the trials that are underway.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/early-peek-at-data-on-gilead-coronavirus-drug-suggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/

It would be awesome if the drug ends up being as good as it seems so far....

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4199 on: April 16, 2020, 05:51:43 PM »

DJIA futures up 33 atm...