[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 05:58:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Tom Crean in Trouble????  (Read 8396 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Tom Crean in Trouble????
« on: March 16, 2014, 01:37:29 PM »
Don't know how many of you saw this.

Despite a current five-game winning streak, it has been a rough season for the Knicks, and head coach Mike Woodson is unlikely to last with the team beyond this year.

But Woodson, who has never coached college basketball, would be a top candidate at Indiana University — his alma mater — should current Hoosiers coach Tom Crean not return, a source told Frank Isola of The New York Daily News.

Several prominent IU boosters are “pushing to buy out Crean and install Woodson, a product of Indianapolis,” according to the report.

IMO, Crean has been good for that program. I don't like the way he left Marquette, but he has led that program out of the cesspool and back into college basketball respectability. His weaknesses at Marquette are now being exposed at IU and either he recruits a really good team, or else. He signed a 10 year contract, showing he's a smart guy and that he and Joanie will be cared for during the rest of their lives.

Nukem2

• All American
Re: Tom Crean in Trouble????
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:41:56 PM »
Woodson says no.  And, the buyout is too high.  Discussed in another thread.  But, TCs seat is getting warmer.  Also, ZagsBlog.com reports that Vonleh and his group are seriously considering leaving IU after this year for the NBA.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 01:43:03 PM »
I'm so glad this is up here on Scoop for the 4th time in the last three days.  It's almost as if IU is a rival of MU's.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »
i believe that it doesn't take the players long to realize crean isn't a players coach.  there's a difference between being a good "hard" coach/tough love and just plain out being nasty.  eventually players catch on to that and lose respect.  yes, i understand that is going to happen from time to time with individual players here and there, but not whole teams.  i think tommy lost marquette, moved on while his stock was high, didn't see or realize where he went wrong and tried to pull the same stuff at iu and...yes, i also realize this is bobby knight territory, but this is also 2014-different type of player mindsets
don't...don't don't don't don't

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »
I'm so glad this is up here on Scoop for the 4th time in the last three days.  It's almost as if IU is a rival of MU's.

Jams

As a Michigan alum I am very pleased with the way John Beilein and his exceptionally capable staff is managing the team. Coach Beilein and his assistant coaches recruit young men who excel not only on the hardwood but also in the classroom at one of America's most prestigious universities. Beilein and his cadre have proven that it is possible to demonstrate athletic prowess while performing admirably in a demanding academic environment. The fact that Coach Beilein and his talented colleagues have done so with dignity, class, and absolute integrity makes the accomplishment all the more noteworthy.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 02:17:09 PM »
i believe that it doesn't take the players long to realize crean isn't a players coach.  there's a difference between being a good "hard" coach/tough love and just plain out being nasty.  eventually players catch on to that and lose respect.  yes, i understand that is going to happen from time to time with individual players here and there, but not whole teams.  i think tommy lost marquette, moved on while his stock was high, didn't see or realize where he went wrong and tried to pull the same stuff at iu and...yes, i also realize this is bobby knight territory, but this is also 2014-different type of player mindsets

Which players....DWade sure seemed to love him.  Travis Diener.  Steve Novak.  Victor Oladipo.  Etc, etc.  Careful with broad statements, they don't tie back with how some players actually believe him to be.  And yes, some players absolutely hate him....go figure...part of a player - coaches relationship.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 02:27:28 PM »
not a rival.  it's just that TC was a prick, and left MU and his players in a disgraceful manner, so people on this board enjoy ripping him for anything and everything they can...rather it be legit or not.  i've never understood what is so hard to understand about that, or why you feel you need point out this fact as often as people point out what a jerk he is.  maybe try defending him on the IU boards...because no one else is.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 02:32:28 PM »
not a rival.  it's just that TC was a prick, and left MU and his players in a disgraceful manner, so people on this board enjoy ripping him for anything and everything they can...rather it be legit or not.  i've never understood what is so hard to understand about that, or why you feel you need point out this fact as often as people point out what a jerk he is.  maybe try defending him on the IU boards...because no one else is.

Actually plenty are defending him....you sound lazy like Lenny..."no one, always, never, only"

K.O. was a prick, left our guys in a disgraceful manner going to a women's basketball school and ripping on MU every chance he could....he did not leave for a blueblood like IU.   Majerus left us in July, forcing us to get Dukiet.  Crean left in April, gave us Buzz Williams and left us with a Final Four, DWade, the Big East, three amigos, Al McGuire center, and didn't rip on MU.....result = hatred.    

Emotional temper tantrums are fun to watch, even 6 years later.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 02:39:25 PM »
Actually plenty are defending him....you sound lazy like Lenny..."no one, always, never, only"

K.O. was a prick, left our guys in a disgraceful manner going to a women's basketball school and ripping on MU every chance he could....he did not leave for a blueblood like IU.   Majerus left us in July, forcing us to get Dukiet.  Crean left in April, gave us Buzz Williams and left us with a Final Four, DWade, the Big East, three amigos, Al McGuire center, and didn't rip on MU.....result = hatred.    

Emotional temper tantrums are fun to watch, even 6 years later.
KO is a prick...it's old news
majerus was/is so much easier to like that TC

i do appreciate how you act like you have this view of the world from a balcony that others just can't see.  like you have a maturity to notice emotional temper tantrums and are far above that...yet you can't figure out why FANS don't like TC.  it's sports, buddy, it's fun to have people to root against.  TC makes this so easy.  it's not like people are attacking you for saying how successful he'd be at IU.  

as far as being lazy with my argument...this is an internet college basketball forum.  no sh!t.  i'm sorry for not putting enough time and effort into my enjoyment of watching TC sit on a hot seat at IU.  for now on i will do my best to acknowledge both sides of the argument, discredit my opponent by acknowledging his/her argument, while citing all my sources in both apa and mla format.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:42:27 PM by avid1010 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »
KO is a prick...it's old news
majerus is so much easier to like that TC

i do appreciate how you act like you have this view of the world from a balcony that others just can't see.  like you have a maturity to notice emotional temper tantrums and are far above that...yet you can't figure out why FANS don't like TC.  it's sports, buddy, it's fun to have people to root against.  TC makes this so easy.  it's not like people are attacking you for saying how successful he'd be at IU. 

I can figure it out just fine.  I totally get why people have jilted lover syndrome and the amount of suffers on this board has been amazing over the year. The syndrome is made worse if the guy is a prick.  Believe me, I get it.  Usually, however, when your lover leaves you and you end up with a suitable replacement, you forget about the ex.  Your life goes on, their life goes on.  Unless it torments one so much they can't wait for anything and everything poorly to happen to said lover....usually that explains a lot about those harboring their feelings. 

But yeah, I get it...I just find it odd.   I also find it incredibly hypocritical...as you said, KO is a prick...old news (so that makes it ok?)...yet treated MU every bit as crappy (actually worse) than TC did and we didn't get the same benefits (though recently KO claimed to have won two conference titles at MU so I'm sure the archivists are looking for that extra trophy and banner somewhere).   So I'm sure you can also see where I'm coming from.  No one is going to deny the prickishness of TC, least of all me who had to work for the guy.  Let's just say the exchange we got for him as a prick was a lot better prick ROI than what we got from some of the others.  I'll take a Final four over Deane and Dukiet.  I'll take the fact he left us with Buzz.  I'll take the Al McGuire Center and Big East over the MCC, Great Midwest or CUSA.  I'll take someone who didn't publicly crap on MU vs the others that did (contract isn't worth wiping their nose on, the Jesuits don't support me, blah blah).

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 02:54:16 PM »
And yes, some players absolutely hate him....go figure...part of a player - coaches relationship.

Haven't heard of ANY of Buzz' players hating him.  Go figure.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 03:20:25 PM »
Hollowell rumored to transfer from IU. Also rumored to enter the FA market at the end of the season are his cousin Terone Johnson (Purdue) and friend Ron Patterson (Syracuse). They all want to play together somewhere.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »
Tom is going to be a rich man if his time at IU ends shorty.   While I'm no TC fan, I would take him in a heart beat over Mike Woodson.  Unless you hire an amazing recruiting coordinator, Woodson would be a fish out of water.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 05:28:47 PM »
Which players....DWade sure seemed to love him.  Travis Diener.  Steve Novak.  Victor Oladipo.  Etc, etc.  Careful with broad statements, they don't tie back with how some players actually believe him to be.  And yes, some players absolutely hate him....go figure...part of a player - coaches relationship.

sorry, you're right about the generalizations, but i do have a few anecdotes that reveal tom creans stormy and often  testy relationships with his players.  tc and travis went at it pretty good and often.  my personal relationship with a player of the mid 2000's has told me a few stories that led up to tc's departure. i think many of the players saw the way crean treated some of the others and saw it as unfair or exaggerated responses to a situation.  i'm sorry i can't get real specific because i don't want to drag someone else into this or reveal someone else without their permission.  i just wonder how many players stayed because crean left. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 05:48:12 PM »
Hollowell rumored to transfer from IU. Also rumored to enter the FA market at the end of the season are his cousin Terone Johnson (Purdue) and friend Ron Patterson (Syracuse). They all want to play together somewhere.

Terone is a senior. He has no eligibility left. His younger brother Ronnie has already announced he plans to leave Purdue.

Hollowell has a tremendous amount of talent - amazing. Crean hasn't been able to cultivate it with success as of yet. (Same goes for Hanner to a degree.)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 07:11:04 PM »
I can figure it out just fine.  I totally get why people have jilted lover syndrome and the amount of suffers on this board has been amazing over the year. The syndrome is made worse if the guy is a prick.  Believe me, I get it.  Usually, however, when your lover leaves you and you end up with a suitable replacement, you forget about the ex.  Your life goes on, their life goes on.  Unless it torments one so much they can't wait for anything and everything poorly to happen to said lover....usually that explains a lot about those harboring their feelings. 

But yeah, I get it...I just find it odd.   I also find it incredibly hypocritical...as you said, KO is a prick...old news (so that makes it ok?)...yet treated MU every bit as crappy (actually worse) than TC did and we didn't get the same benefits (though recently KO claimed to have won two conference titles at MU so I'm sure the archivists are looking for that extra trophy and banner somewhere).   So I'm sure you can also see where I'm coming from.  No one is going to deny the prickishness of TC, least of all me who had to work for the guy.  Let's just say the exchange we got for him as a prick was a lot better prick ROI than what we got from some of the others.  I'll take a Final four over Deane and Dukiet.  I'll take the fact he left us with Buzz.  I'll take the Al McGuire Center and Big East over the MCC, Great Midwest or CUSA.  I'll take someone who didn't publicly crap on MU vs the others that did (contract isn't worth wiping their nose on, the Jesuits don't support me, blah blah).

One difference between KO and Crean that you miss is that Marquette took very good care of Crean, but didn't treat KO nearly as well.  A big factor in Crean staying at Marquette as long as he did, IMO is the lessons Marquette learned from IMHO Marquette's mishandling of KO.

I wouldn't call KO a prick, either.  Prickly, maybe.  Abrasive, definitely.  But at least it was KO being genuine.  Regarding Crean, I consider him much less honest, and more duplicitous which is why I have great difficulty feeling any warmth toward him.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 07:56:45 PM »
Haven't heard of ANY of Buzz' players hating him.  Go figure.

Sure about that?

feedback