[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette Food  (Read 24282 times)

chapman

• All American
Re: Marquette Food
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2008, 10:33:25 PM »
I know it is chain but the papa johns that used to be in campus town was epic.  You could get a large pie for like $6 and as many garlic sauces as you wanted.

Papa John's just moved across the street, next to Murphy's. $5 one-topping large pizzas are awesome. It's better than Domino's, Pizza Hut, etc... And A LOT better than Sal's Pizza that just opened up.

I heard Sal's is like $3 a slice?!  I hope everyone is smart enough to stock up on frozen pizzas that cost less than that, for an entire pizza, and pull one out of the freezer when drunk and hungry.

The over-charging at some of these campus locations is insane.  I swear Open Pantry is owned by the devil himself.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »
Is angelos gone?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Muhoops85

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2008, 10:54:38 PM »
Remember Wales on Wells?  Great burgers, fries and onion rings?

Also, the Zantigo?  We used to see Jerry Taft, anchor from channel 12 go through the drive through and get a couple bags of food and eat it all by himself in the parking lot.

Also, the West Dorm was  nice.  I never lived there, but had some classmates who did.  We lived in a building behind the Boeckl bldg, now known as 2040 lofts.  The neighborhood was fine and we used to walk  home at midnight from the old library.  Never had a problem.  The kids in West could not walk past 23rd street without getting harassed by the locals.

Campus looks much better now, and the fringe neighborhoods seem better, too.
Class of 1985 & Proud Parents of MU Class of 2007 Graduate

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2008, 11:00:55 PM »
Here's my take of on campus pizza:
Angelo's: the thin crust pizza is gross cuz its sooooooo greasy that the pizza just falls apart, you gotta get reg. crust, which is good.
papa john's: eh, its o.k., its sort of like dorm food though, you never know what you're going to get. the $5 on tuesday is a good deal though, as well as the $7.50 deal for larges for students.
sal's: mb overpriced, but much better than papa john's, i've had it once but it was amazing. they also have what looks like a dinner roll, but is garlic bread and its really good
but the king of them all? JACK'S. even though it's overpriced @ OP ($2.79 a pizza, they used to have a 2/$4.50 deal, now its 2/$5.50) Ok, so maybe its not the king, but its definitely better than PJ's or angelo's.
peace

chapman

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2008, 11:18:37 PM »
but the king of them all? JACK'S. even though it's overpriced @ OP ($2.79 a pizza, they used to have a 2/$4.50 deal, now its 2/$5.50) Ok, so maybe its not the king, but its definitely better than PJ's or angelo's.
peace

Jack's is indeed the best for your dollar.  They usually have 5/$10 or 5/$11 deals at Pick-N-Save.

Steak

• Walk-On
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2008, 12:05:51 AM »
Don't ever do your shopping at OP or Walgreen's on campus. They'll get you every time with their jacked up prices. They know you don't have a car and can't go anywhere else.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2008, 03:38:40 PM »
btw, the gyros are the best there, if you've never had them then try it

Yeah, I've tried the gyros there, but not since 4 years ago... a buddy of mine walked into my room at Schroeder one morning when I was particularly hung over, saw me writhing in pain, and nuked a gyro left over from the night before in my microwave.  Never again.

By the way, has anybody on here eaten at Gyros more than 10 times in one week, or more than six days in a row?  Those are my personal bests

You are not going to have a colon when you are 35.  dang, boy.

Hahah... I credit my rapid metabolism with keeping me in Marquette Gyros and out of gastric bypass surgery. 

Also, keep in mind that at the time I set the "record", it was either Gyros, Jimmy Johns (which I quickly tired of), or the O'D cafeteria.  How many grilled cheese sandwiches can a man eat in one year?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »
I remember when Wales on Wells started to deliver and we used to order just shakes/malts in some futile attempt to address a hangover.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2008, 04:54:05 PM »
It is down near the third ward, I always go with the cheesesteak. The menu isnt exactly large but Ive heard that some of their other stuff is pretty good too.

Had a cheesesteak today, extremely good.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2008, 12:35:26 AM »
It is down near the third ward, I always go with the cheesesteak. The menu isnt exactly large but Ive heard that some of their other stuff is pretty good too.

Sounds damn good right now.

Just reread the 3 pages...

Glad no one mentioned Pizza Sh*ttle.

Man, that stuff was good the next day and they had good deals for the dormheads.
SS Marquette

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2008, 08:24:37 AM »

Sounds damn good right now.

Just reread the 3 pages...

Man, that stuff was good the next day and they had good deals for the dormheads.

That place sucks. And the pizza is terrible the next day - all dried out and tough.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 08:27:11 AM by Chili »
But I like to throw handfuls...

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2008, 08:26:01 AM »

I liked everything there but their pizza...

Chili

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2008, 08:27:55 AM »

I liked everything there but their pizza...

There wings give you the worst freaking gas in the world.

The bosco sticks are nice but I just by them from Sysco now instead.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2008, 12:10:06 PM »
I brought some real chili into work today for lunch.... best decision ever! So good.

Sals pizza is really good. I agree it is overprices.

MVIALE------ AngeBLows is still there, making some of the best pizza in the city (second to Zaffiros on farwell).
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2008, 02:30:46 PM »
Did someone say wings???

Points East Pub, on the eastside, near Pick n' Save has the best wings I've tasted in my life.  Fried...soaked in hot sauce for 10 minutes...then grilled.  Awesome!

They used to have 10 cent wings and $3 pitchers on Thursday nights.  You could walk out full and hammered for $10.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2008, 09:18:43 AM »
Is that hooters still open down on Wisconsin Ave.  Say what you will about the IQ level of the servers, the price of the beer, and questionable clinetele that goes there multiple times a week. 

The wings are awesome.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2008, 09:23:54 AM »
That Hooters is long gone. There's a TJ Maxx in that spot now. The only real non-fast food highlight of the mall is Applebee's now.

BW3's on water is probably the best bet for wings downtown.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2008, 10:41:43 AM »
That Hooters is long gone. There's a TJ Maxx in that spot now. The only real non-fast food highlight of the mall is Applebee's now.

Not a chance. Points East are light years better than BBC.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2008, 01:03:19 PM »

I was referring to "BW3", as in Buffalo Wild Wings. Not a big fan of BBC's wings. Points East's are phenomenal, but last time I was there, I think they only make them on Thursdays. Since the demand is so high, there's usually a multi-hour wait for your wings. They're 40 cents now, by the way.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2008, 03:38:19 PM »

I was referring to "BW3", as in Buffalo Wild Wings. Not a big fan of BBC's wings. Points East's are phenomenal, but last time I was there, I think they only make them on Thursdays. Since the demand is so high, there's usually a multi-hour wait for your wings. They're 40 cents now, by the way.

Total brain fart - I meant BW3's as well. But Points East is still light years ahead. I just BW3's are overrated. The best wings on the East Side right now are Lives. Sounds odd but they are pretty good. Better than BBC. I had Wingz on Sunday at a Super Bowl party and they were pretty good as well.

On a personal note - I really miss WOW on Farwell.

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2008, 11:03:28 AM »
Inflation is a killer.  Can't believe Point's East wings are 40cents on Thursday's now.  I'm not a crusty-old-sweater-vest-wearer either.  I'm talking late 90's they were 10cents.

Even at 40cents and 2 hours wait...they are worth it.

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2008, 03:23:49 PM »
Anyone know what ever happened to Jose's Mexican Fiesta?  The place was at 24th and Wells. Jose lived upstaira and the restuarant was in the downstairs of his house.  Served the massive Burrita.  I always went with the Viking.

I think Marquette may have actually owned the building and it was leveled shortly after it closed in 2000 or 2001.  We haven'te been able to find out whatever happened to Jose since.

ski44

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2008, 03:35:49 PM »
Anyone know what ever happened to Jose's Mexican Fiesta?  The place was at 24th and Wells. Jose lived upstaira and the restuarant was in the downstairs of his house.  Served the massive Burrita.  I always went with the Viking.

I think Marquette may have actually owned the building and it was leveled shortly after it closed in 2000 or 2001.  We haven'te been able to find out whatever happened to Jose since.

Can't forget about the Burrita challenge. If you beat the record each semester, you got your meal for free. The other prizes were either a trip outside to ralph off of Jose's porch, or Montezuma's revenge during the Limo ride back to campus. I think the all time record was like 8 or 8.5/ Anyone know where Jose went?

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2008, 02:07:58 PM »
I loved heading across the bridge to Botana's or La Perla.  Still some of the best mexican food I've had in any city.  You don't get cheated on the margaritas either.

I know this isn't a restaurant, but used to go to Usinger's on 3rd & State and buy food for the week off their second's table.  Pastrami for .99/lb, chorizo sausage for 1.99/lb.  My best was getting a 7 lb bag of summer sausage for $5.  Took me and three roommates a week to finish.  If you're still at school, definately worth the trip.

feedback