[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by wadesworld
[May 06, 2024, 10:32:52 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[May 06, 2024, 05:33:31 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Steve Alford new UCLA coach.  (Read 24425 times)

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
Re: UCLA coach
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 11:00:33 AM »
Honestly did anyone really expect Buzz to go to UCLA? I think all the chatter on here was more that everyone is pissed that the sports media still thinks we are just a stepping stone.

I didn't expect him to bolt but yes I'm always annoyed that MU is seen as a stepping stone. All the UCLA and Minn. fans seemed to think they had him locked up, saying they were much better jobs than MU, which annoys me.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2013, 11:00:38 AM »
I think Alford has improved as a coach.  If he can pull the Cali talent he should be ok.   Not the bang hire but it may work out for them.  

If Alford is worth 2 mil how much is Buzz worth?

Getting a lot of positive comments from people when I was out wearing my MU hat.  Great publicity.  

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »
Also goes to show you what a new 10-year contract with a hefty raise is worth.  Less than 2-weeks old and on the next plane out of town.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2013, 11:04:51 AM »
UCLA vs New Mexico though.   Is that much of a choice?  I know which job I take.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2013, 11:06:17 AM »
I think Alford has improved as a coach.  If he can pull the Cali talent he should be ok.   Not the bang hire but it may work out for them.  

Alford...18 years as a D1 head coach...4 tourney wins.  Only S16 was with Southwest Missouri.

Buzz...6 years as a head coach...8 tourney wins.  Three S16s and one E8.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2013, 11:08:39 AM »
UCLA vs New Mexico though.   Is that much of a choice?  I know which job I take.

If he doesn't get past the first round within 3-5 years he's toast though. Should've stayed at NM where the standards are lower and there's less pressure.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2013, 11:09:03 AM »
Hopefully Dick Strong is still part of our posse. Did the admin diminish his role, haven't heard much about him lately.   I know Cottingham had Dick interview Buzz before he was hired, signaling a strong influence.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2013, 11:10:40 AM »
Relax. Respect the Process.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2013, 11:11:12 AM »
If he doesn't get past the first round within 3-5 years he's toast though. Should've stayed at NM where the standards are lower and there's less pressure.

If you're a coach with any self confidence I don't know you'd shrink from leaving NM for UCLA.   That is one way to look at your situation though.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2013, 11:14:10 AM »
If you enjoy Blue Meth than New Mexico might be a better job #heisenberg

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »

Paradoxically less, if you apply basic economics.

Think about it from this perspective--if the pay were equal, is the MU or UCLA job better right now?  Read the threads and you'll find that most MU fans would argue that the MU job is far superior.

So pay being equal, a candidate should prefer the Marquette job.  UCLA would have to pay more to compensate for the perceived disadvantages of thier opening.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »
 I don't know what UCLA paid.

Buzz has a far greater resume than Alford plus a lot of potential as he's still very young.

If your worth to a program is determined through success plus competition for your services then...

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2013, 11:19:20 AM »
Buzz to New Mexico?

I actually think that would be more plausible than Buzz to Minny. Not saying there is even a 1% chance of it happening, just commenting on how ridiculous the Gophers were.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2013, 11:25:56 AM »
OMG. LMFAO. Steve Alford. Good grief.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 11:29:08 AM by NavinRJohnson »

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2013, 11:32:19 AM »
Paradoxically less, if you apply basic economics.

Think about it from this perspective--if the pay were equal, is the MU or UCLA job better right now?  Read the threads and you'll find that most MU fans would argue that the MU job is far superior.

So pay being equal, a candidate should prefer the Marquette job.  UCLA would have to pay more to compensate for the perceived disadvantages of thier opening.

I think what he was getting at was that the marginal benefit of having Buzz as opposed to Alford is greater, not commenting on what is required to land the coach.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2013, 11:32:53 AM »
So they swapped out Howland for Alford.

#MUBB

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2013, 11:40:53 AM »
“@darrenrovell: Alford 3 DAYS AGO on New Mexico: “I gave a lot to stay here. I took away incentives that I’ve made for 5 consecutive years.””

What a clown. Am I wrong to think Buzz would never play us like that?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2013, 11:44:31 AM »
“@darrenrovell: Alford 3 DAYS AGO on New Mexico: “I gave a lot to stay here. I took away incentives that I’ve made for 5 consecutive years.””

What a clown. Am I wrong to think Buzz would never play us like that?

As long as a coach goes about leaving the right way (meeting with players face to face, not hiding his negotiations from the administration), I can't fault any coach for leaving for a bigger job. Players should be able to transfer as easily as coaches can move schools, but thats the NCAA's problem, not the coaches.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »

Alford...18 years as a D1 head coach...4 tourney wins.  Only S16 was with Southwest Missouri.

Buzz...6 years as a head coach...8 tourney wins.  Three S16s and one E8.

Haven't we learned just from the last week or so the tourney is a crap shoot and always will be?  We got lucky to even win one game this year and now we play for a Final Four.  It's that razor thin on how your team does in the NCAAs.

There are years when top teams have got knocked out early...or years when a team that loses twice to Lipscomb, loses to Maine, Mercer, East Tennessee State, Stetson can get hot and make it to the Sweet 16.  You play one bad half, bad shooting day, etc...you're done.  It's not best of 7.

Who knows if this is a good hire, I'll wait my 5 years like I always do because I've seen too many Steve Lavin, Bruiser Flint, Quinn Snyder, etc hires. 

I do find it interesting that UCLA is going back to an Indiana native to get the program started again.  The fact he is an IU grad is also interesting. 

This will be an interesting thread to "hoopin" in 5 years.  He might crater and there will be "I told you so" from some or he might do very well and there will be "I told you so" from others.   :D

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2013, 11:48:56 AM »
Haven't we learned just from the last week or so the tourney is a crap shoot and always will be?  We got lucky to even win one game this year and now we play for a Final Four.  It's that razor thin on how your team does in the NCAAs.

Oh my goodness...are you kidding?

It has been 14 years since he has been in the S16...and you think that's just because the tournament is a crapshoot?  Are you Alford's agent or something?

EDIT:  And this is so classic Chicos....trolling me with the "lucky" angle.  Not biting dude.  Go seek your attention elsewhere.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2013, 11:51:04 AM »
If you're a coach with any self confidence I don't know you'd shrink from leaving NM for UCLA.   That is one way to look at your situation though.

If you're a coach with any self confidence, you don't need the UCLA job to prove your status/worth.  You know who you are and look for the opportunity that is best for your health and your family.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »
He's a bad person who frankly hasn't accomplished all that much as a coach.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2013, 11:56:57 AM »
I do find it interesting that UCLA is going back to an Indiana native to get the program started again.  The fact he is an IU grad is also interesting. 
whats interesting about that?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »

Oh my goodness...are you kidding?

It has been 14 years since he has been in the S16...and you think that's just because the tournament is a crapshoot?  Are you Alford's agent or something?

EDIT:  And this is so classic Chicos....trolling me with the "lucky" angle.  Not biting dude.  Go seek your attention elsewhere.

He's just pissy cause his 3rd favorite team is the one that is left.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »
Who knows if this is a good hire, I'll wait my 5 years like I always do because I've seen too many Steve Lavin, Bruiser Flint, Quinn Snyder, etc hires. 

Either way you must admit Chicos for all of the talk of the administration trying to "clean up" things this hire seems a bit strange.  Alford has a bit of a checkered past at Iowa.

feedback