[Today at 01:43:12 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 12:47:04 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Badgerhater
[Today at 11:58:05 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 10:43:15 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Freeh Report  (Read 23536 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Freeh Report
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 03:03:30 PM »
Sultan alludes to this above, but I wasn't saying I think they all belong grouped together by severity, etc, but merely that when discussing NCAA's role in the transgressions of member schools, MU & ND are more of a species to PSU than the hypotheticals you had posted. That species being the institutional consensus and handling of a certain subject in a way that is contrary to law, yet does not involve an on-field competitive advantage.

My bad... deep down, I understood what you were saying; however, it isn't the first time I've heard a comparison of MU to PSU in the past 24 hours... you simply got what was leftover of my defense mechanism after being egged on by a rodent earlier today.  (Once again, the Booker Stanley card delivers a crushing blow, metaphorically speaking of course.)

We're all saying the same thing... where do you draw the line?  There may be justice in it being drawn right through State College today, but remain mindful that such precedent could lead to a future injustice somewhere closer to home.

Hopefully that line goes 90 miles to the west and not an inch closer.  Sorry... sorry... I don't know what's come over me today.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »
No worries, I definitely agree on the precedent. I guess my next question is whether there is a history of the NCAA dropping lesser penalties for non-competitive advantage issues. They have penalized for absolutely idiotic things (Majerus buying a kid lunch after his old man passed away pops immediately to mind) but they couch those in competitive advantage/improper benefits terms. I guess I doubt it, since its likely that conduct in the past would just be one or two people, and never as widespread as this. What a (even aside from the obvious repugnance of it all) weird situation for the NCAA.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »

There isn't a school in america that doesn't have a student-athlete sex assault in their closet.  I really hope that every school in the US doesn't have a 15 year history of paying a guy to bring kids on campus and ass rape them in the shower.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 03:49:04 PM »
There isn't a school in america that doesn't have a student-athlete sex assault in their closet.  I really hope that every school in the US doesn't have a 15 year history of paying a guy to bring kids on campus and ass rape them in the shower.

In the literal sense, me too.

In the figurative sense, it's called a "buy game;" however the NCAA at least has a rule that doesn't allow it to happen more than 10 times a year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2012, 04:24:00 PM »
In the literal sense, me too.

In the figurative sense, it's called a "buy game;" however the NCAA at least has a rule that doesn't allow it to happen more than 10 times a year.

OK, I've got to admit that I didn't expect to get a laugh out of this thread.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2012, 09:49:11 AM »
I don't think the death penalty is going to happen based on economics.    The B1G (and for that matter the BCS)will beg, wheedle and cajole to keep their 12 team league intact.   If PSU goes on the death penalty, the ripple effect throught he BCS would be monstrous. 

I truly hope you are wrong, as it was the coordinated effort to cover this nightmare up for the sake of brand protection and the almighty dollar (particularly those going into Joe Paterno's pocket) that led to this. If the NCAA doesn't take serious action on this, they further expose the,selves as the blood sucking hypocrites we already know they are.

The death penalty is not only appropriate, but necessary (with the current athletes being able to immediately transfer to other schools with no restrictions).

It's funny because as recently as yesterday, I heard former PSU player, Marco Rivera say that Joe Paterno was "about education and doing it the right way." Since the day this broke it has been shocking to me how many people just don't get it. None of the stuff about turning football players into great men, etc. matters any more. This ugliness exposed without a doubt what he was ultimately all about. Former players, fans, etc., no longer have the right to claim that he did it the right way. He (along with Spanier, etc.) could not have possibly done it more wrong if they tried. He knew how to coach football. Big effin deal.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2012, 11:50:58 AM »
I agree that PSU deserves the death penalty.   I don't think the NCAA delivers it, though, because, as heinous as all of this is, it does not have anything to do with recruiting, paying players, eligibility issues related to the football players.    I predict that PSU football plays on, but the civil lawsuits are massive and there is jail time for some of the administrators who assisted in the coverup. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012, 01:34:25 PM »
It's funny because as recently as yesterday, I heard former PSU player, Marco Rivera say that Joe Paterno was "about education and doing it the right way." Since the day this broke it has been shocking to me how many people just don't get it. None of the stuff about turning football players into great men, etc. matters any more. This ugliness exposed without a doubt what he was ultimately all about. Former players, fans, etc., no longer have the right to claim that he did it the right way. He (along with Spanier, etc.) could not have possibly done it more wrong if they tried. He knew how to coach football. Big effin deal.

I'm not comparing Paterno to Adolph Hitler, but believe it or not, Hitler did have a trait or two that was "commendable"... for instance, the Nazis were firm believers in animal welfare.  But how many people do you hear today going around saying, "well, Hitler was an evil man, but hey, he did a lot of great things for animals, right?"

Joe Paterno knowingly and, through inaction, deliberately endangered scores of vulnerable boys and indirectly contributed to the most heinous act anyone can do to a young child all for the sake of his money and reputation.  Those children had something taken away from them that cannot be replaced by anything Joe Paterno did or could have ever done.  To defend his reputation is a slap in the face to every single one of the children whose lives he ruined.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 12:01:43 AM »
I'm not comparing Paterno to Adolph Hitler, but believe it or not, Hitler did have a trait or two that was "commendable"... for instance, the Nazis were firm believers in animal welfare.  But how many people do you hear today going around saying, "well, Hitler was an evil man, but hey, he did a lot of great things for animals, right?"

Nothing to do with PSU, but there's an interesting book that investigates that issue.  The author's claim is that one of the primary reason the Nazi's were so interested in animal welfare, (and nature, in general) was to justify their opinions on the superiority of races.  A predator kills the biologically inferior.

Animals in the Third Reich: Pets, Scapegoats, and the Holocaust by Boria Sax
http://www.amazon.com/Animals-Third-Reich-Scapegoats-Holocaust/dp/0826414087

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012, 01:17:41 PM »
Boers & Bernstein are going to be playing a clip of Mark Emmert on PBS last night shortly.

They are teasing it as a possibility of the death penalty.

Awesome, these unnatural carnal knowledgetards in Happy Valley need a realty check.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2012, 01:34:48 PM »

Boers & Bernstein are going to be playing a clip of Mark Emmert on PBS last night shortly.

Awesome, these fracktards in Happy Valley need a realty check.

I don't support killing all the sports programs, but football should be done.

It would suck for DJ Newbill to have to transfer again.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:37:13 PM by PTM »

The Process

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2012, 01:35:27 PM »
I want the Death Penalty for PSU football here.  It's not like they're hurting for money - didn't they raise over $200M in donations in the past fiscal year, their second highest total ever?

A postseason ban isn't going to be enough punishment.  Stripping away tons of scholarships won't be enough, either.  This might be enough of a punishment:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YssMT0qXYOw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YssMT0qXYOw</a>
Relax. Respect the Process.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 01:46:00 PM »

Emmert's statement is crouched in so many "ifs" that I doubt it will happen.  PSU doesn't owe the NCAA a response to its letter until December, and once they play football this year, I would be seriously surprised if anything happens later. 

The Process

• All American
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »

Emmert's statement is crouched in so many "ifs" that I doubt it will happen.  PSU doesn't owe the NCAA a response to its letter until December, and once they play football this year, I would be seriously surprised if anything happens later. 

If the "death penalty" wouldn't be implemented, what other harsh penalty could reasonably be implemented?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2012, 02:25:05 PM »
None.  The NCAA will do something that will masquerade as a harsh penalty.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 02:31:39 PM »

In the NCAA's defense, all judgment should be held until the Paterno Family's investigation is complete.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2012, 02:42:03 PM »
In the NCAA's defense, all judgment should be held until the Paterno Family's investigation is complete.

Then the NCAA should launch its own investigation into both the Freeh and Paterno family investigations.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2012, 02:43:05 PM »
Then the NCAA should launch its own investigation into both the Freeh and Paterno family investigations.

I've always said, "The more launchin', the better."

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2012, 02:44:30 PM »
I don't see why we should put a bunch of local bars, restaurants and hotels out of business by killing the football team.  

They aren't going to be able recruit, players should be allowed to transfer without penalty, their donations are going to plummet, game attendance is going to drop, school applicants are probably going to drop; they will suffer plenty.  Just make sure anyone even slightly involved is fired and ban them from a few bowl games. Perhaps they will be a real program again in 5-8 years.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »
I don't see why we should put a bunch of local bars, restaurants and hotels out of business by killing the football team.  

They aren't going to be able recruit, players should be allowed to transfer without penalty, their donations are going to plummet, game attendance is going to drop, school applicants are probably going to drop; they will suffer plenty.  Just make sure anyone even slightly involved is fired and ban them from a few bowl games. Perhaps they will be a real program again in 5-8 years.

While I would normally agree with this statement, there is no sense of wrong doing in Happy Valley. The student group that changed the football campground name from 'Paternoville' to 'Nittanyville' is getting creamed by those loons. Paterno is still being defended with his football contributions. It is disgusting and the program needs to be dealt with.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »
While I would normally agree with this statement, there is no sense of wrong doing in Happy Valley. The student group that changed the football campground name from 'Paternoville' to 'Nittanyville' is getting creamed by those loons. Paterno is still being defended with his football contributions. It is disgusting and the program needs to be dealt with.

That's the scary part - there are people who will defend JoePa to the end.

As Dan Patrick put it yesterday (paraphrasing)...JoePa did a lot of great things at Penn State and he had a positive impact on the lives of many, many people. But he also did something awful.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2012, 03:39:51 PM »
How about this for an alternative punishment to the Death Penalty:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qXS39gNkNjw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qXS39gNkNjw</a>

Make 'em rebuild their stadium.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
How about this for an alternative punishment to the Death Penalty:

Make 'em rebuild their stadium.

Aww hell, they would just use the opportunity to build something Kim Jong Il would be proud of

The Process

• All American
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »
Aww hell, they would just use the opportunity to build something Kim Jong Il would be proud of

You mean like this? (Warning:  One naughty word used at the beginning)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UEaKX9YYHiQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UEaKX9YYHiQ</a>

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2012, 04:26:25 PM »
I'm not going to weigh in on the Freeh report itself and the accuracy or conclusions thereof, however for those that want vengeance in the form of the death penalty, you do realize you are creating more victims of this tragedy by such an action correct?

If you haven't been to central Pennsylvania, Penn State and the football team especially are a major if not the major cog in the financial well being of the area.  State College and the businesses in it only exist for big PSU occasions and football Saturdays.  The hotels charge $40 bucks on a normal weekend day and $240 on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday of football weekend.  You have all the restaurants and stores and then all the businesses that support those businesses.  In fact a lot of the 2nd Mile kids(J#$^Y f$%K S#@$%y's chartity) are underprivileged youth from the State College area who's parents have jobs either directly or indirectly because of Penn State.  You take away that economic cog and you are talking about thousands of innocent people being victims of this as well.

How does that help?  Its easy to run to the pitch fork and torch store, but I think the appropriate thing is to let the legal system play out and let Curley, Schultz, and Spanier get their punishment, let the victims get some measure of satisfaction from the purse of Penn State(which stays more full with football), keep awareness of this terrible issue alive every time they play, and prevent further victims from being developed.

I'd also remind you the Freeh report doesn't have all the information, there is still a lot to come out through the legal process, lets see what that holds, things could actually be worse than they imagine.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."