collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Crean cleaning up  (Read 24336 times)

GOMU1104

• All American
Re: Crean cleaning up
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 05:38:37 PM »
Do you know what the Video Coordinator gets paid?   Are you really trying to imply that there is money laundering going on with a video coordinator and his paultry salary?  Please.  Or are you saying there is an additional kickback going on somewhere?

Again, come on. 

YES! Dont you understand that is the exact reason why the NCAA enacted this rule?!?! It is in the very article you linked earlier in this thread!

Examples from the article alone:
-Dwon Clifton (AAU coach of John Wall) hired at Bayor as the "Director of Player Development"
-Terrelle Woody (advisor to Augustus Gilchrist) hired at USF as the "Video and Conditioning Assistant)
-Danny Manning and Mario Chalmers dads at Kansas, I believe they were the DOBOs.

Also, from your neck of the woods, Dwayne Polee Sr was hired as the DOBO at USC in 2007, shortly after his son committed to the Trojans as a 9th grader. The son decomitted from USC a few years later and his father resigned from his position.

Back to the article, did you miss this quote: “The intent of the NCAA isn’t bad if it eliminates AAU guys getting hired at Program X for $40,000 and all they do is show up twice a week to the office,” said Freeberg.

So you would be OK (not squirm) if Buzz did something that Scott Drew/Stan Heath/Bill Self/Tim Floydd did...but wouldn't be OK with him doing something that the NCAA says is legal?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 06:30:06 PM »
I don't know why, but you continue to miss what I'm saying.  What those other schools did is NOT what IU did....yet that seems to be the guilt by association that Ners is trying to jam down the throat here.

Why are we not talking about what ACTUALLY happened?

And yes, I know exactly why the rule was put into place, and despite Buzz not liking the rule, I disagree with him...it's to curb the nonsense that was going on.  I understand Buzz's take on it, that a few bad apples ruined it for everyone, but that's the way it goes.

I'll try to say it for a 4th time now, I would be fine if Buzz Williams wants to hire an AAU coach to be a Video Coordinator...which is LEGAL by NCAA rules.  The guy will make $40K if he's lucky and have very little impact on luring any type of player.  I would NOT be ok if he was to hire them as a coach like the examples given.  I thought I've been clear from day one on this, you seem to be inverting my responses which I don't understand why.  Honestly, I don't get where you're going with this.  I'm very much against what Heath, Drew, etc did.  What they did is vastly different than what IU did.  Again, are you sure you have everything factually correct here?

Let's take a look.

IU is associated with Indiana Elite, and has been for decades (they used to be called Indiana Red)

The Board of Directors son is on the IU team....as a WALK ON.  He isn't getting a free ride.  He's paying his way

The head coach of the Indiana Elite (the guy responsible for the talent) is not on the IU staff.  If you were going to try to get all these Indiana Elite players (which they have gotten for decades ANYWAYS), why not hire that coach?   Instead, his son is hired as a low level IU employee.   Do you know who's position he took....gasp.  Brian Barone's!!!  Yes, THAT Brian Barone.  Marquette graduate, Brian Barone.  Son of Tony Barone.   This just in, sons of coaches have an in in the ....wait for it....coaching world.  Just as sons of TV execs have an in to the TV world and sons of prominent lawyers have an in to the lawyer world.

Furthermore, do you know how Drew Adams got the position?   He played for Steve Alford at Iowa for a year...Alford went to IU.  You can bet that this kid probably wouldn't have played for Alford if not for the IU connection.  That's what connections are for.   Oh, and who else was on that staff?  Tim Buckley....he was an assistant for Alford at Iowa.  To this day, other than Mike Scioscia, I cannot remember a better person that Tim Buckley as a head coach that I have ever met.  Rob Jeter was a fine human being as well.  Adams then went to the University of Tennessee to earn his bachelor's in Sport Management and returned to Bloomington in 2008 to work at IU.  While at UT, he was a student assistant and has wanted to get into college coaching.

So help me connect the dots how this hiring in 2008 of a low level employee in the IU athletic department (making less than $22K per year) who happens to be 24 years old is somehow helping IU get recruits?  It doesn't, that's why I see no issue with it.  He has zero impact on gaining an advantage for the program, which is what the NCAA was legislating against.  That's why it's legal, that's why I would have no problem with it if Buzz did it.

Oh, and the kid had other offers to go elsewhere, but decided to say in his hometown in Bloomington.  So we have college graduate, Bloomington kid, worked for Tim Buckley (on IU's staff), played for Alford (former IU great) and son of AAU coach that has directed players to IU (and PU and others) for decades.  He's about as well connected as you're going to get.  Was he the best qualified?  Who knows.

PS  The day IU hired Adams, they also hired Mason Revelette from Louisville as a graduate manager. I wonder how many kids Mason will be able to lure in

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:47:21 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 07:39:21 PM »
The video coordinator looks pretty qualified to me, in fact. I am able to connect dots though, and it seems that IU cleverly avoided the NCAA rules by hiring the son of the AAU coach (Drew Adams) instead of the AAU coach himself (Mark Adams). Because of that, they can still recruit players from the program. However...Drew Adams did work for Pearl, played for Alford, and went to JUCO, and is connected to an AAU program...doesnt make you squirm, just a bit?

But really for me, this isnt really that much about what is going on at IU. I was simply responding to the hypothetical that PRN proposed, and the surprising answer that you gave.

I find it hard to believe that, if Buzz hired someone or the son of someone associated with the Mac Irvin Fire/Wisconsin Playground Warriors/Mean Streets/Dallas Mustangs/MBA Hoops...you wouldnt squirm.

The fact is...the NCAA has implemented guidelines to curtail the hiring of people associated with recruits to non-staff coaching positions...and surprisingly, you still support those hires.

The NCAA allows the hiring of people associated with recruits to full time assistant coach positions, if they are so qualified. The assistant coach resume (an actual one, in fact) that I showed you...hes probably more qualified than alot of #3 (and maybe #2) assistants out there...yet you wouldnt support that hire?

Another thing...

So help me connect the dots how this hiring in 2008 of a low level employee in the IU athletic department (making less than $22K per year) who happens to be 24 years old is somehow helping IU get recruits?  It doesn't, that's why I see no issue with it.  He has zero impact on gaining an advantage for the program, which is what the NCAA was legislating against.  That's why it's legal, that's why I would have no problem with it if Buzz did it.

C'mon, you've been around, you're smarter than this...You dont think this hire/promotion helps maintain the relationship between the Indiana Elite and the IU program? Again, its not illegal, per se, because he is the son of the AAU coach, not the coach himself.

The day IU hired Adams, they also hired Mason Revelette from Louisville as a graduate manager. I wonder how many kids Mason will be able to lure in

Is he associated with any AAU programs?

Ugh...I feel like MU84 after this post.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:56:23 PM by GOMU1104 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2010, 12:06:28 PM »
I guess I just don't see the outrage on this that some are cooking up.  A 24 year old kid is given an opportunity at a very low level to come in.  He's certainly qualified, he was promoted from within, etc, etc.

As for the second quote, do you think not hiring this kid would have meant the association with this AAU team and IU would have been different?  They've had this relationship for decades, going back to Bob Knight.  The hiring of this kid isn't going to change that.  What if the kid leaves, which he ultimately will, for another program when another opportunity comes up?  Does that mean the relationship is suddenly in jeopardy?

If Buzz wants to do that, have at it.  Where I have always felt it was way over the line was the outright hiring of coaches, parents, etc to staffs to get a specific kid.  It was an example of schools thumbing their nose at the NCAA.  KU did it with the Mannings and you've provided a number of other examples.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2010, 03:33:54 PM »
I guess I just don't see the outrage on this that some are cooking up.  A 24 year old kid is given an opportunity at a very low level to come in.  He's certainly qualified, he was promoted from within, etc, etc.

As for the second quote, do you think not hiring this kid would have meant the association with this AAU team and IU would have been different?  They've had this relationship for decades, going back to Bob Knight.  The hiring of this kid isn't going to change that.  What if the kid leaves, which he ultimately will, for another program when another opportunity comes up?  Does that mean the relationship is suddenly in jeopardy?

If Buzz wants to do that, have at it.  Where I have always felt it was way over the line was the outright hiring of coaches, parents, etc to staffs to get a specific kid.  It was an example of schools thumbing their nose at the NCAA.  KU did it with the Mannings and you've provided a number of other examples.

I think the concensus is that you would squirm if Buzz did this.  I think you are perceived as a hypocrite when it comes to TC.   Is that a fair summary?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 04:18:13 PM »
I think the concensus is that you would squirm if Buzz did this.  I think you are perceived as a hypocrite when it comes to TC.   Is that a fair summary?

I think the consensus is that you have a hard-on (and agenda) for certain people as can be seen in 60% of your posts.  Fair and accurate summary.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 05:25:57 PM »
I think the concensus is that you would squirm if Buzz did this.  I think you are perceived as a hypocrite when it comes to TC.   Is that a fair summary?

95% of posters here would agree.  The double standard and hyprocrisy are obvious to everyone.  It is amazing the lengths that have been gone to by Mr. Bailbondsmen to try to justify the hiring move of AAU coaches son.  I can't imagine Chicos going to these lengths to defend Buzz on anything.  In fact he perpetuates many pages of b.s. that discredit and call into question our current head coach - multiple Newbill threads, "squirmy" practices, etc. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 05:28:28 PM »
95% of posters here would agree.  The double standard and hyprocrisy are obvious to everyone.  It is amazing the lengths that have been gone to by Mr. Bailbondsmen to try to justify the hiring move of AAU coaches son.  I can't imagine Chicos going to these lengths to defend Buzz on anything.  In fact he perpetuates many pages of b.s. that discredit and call into question our current head coach - multiple Newbill threads, "squirmy" practices, etc. 

I am just shocked that you two have different opinions.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 05:54:18 PM »

You speak for 95% of the people here.  That's interesting on so many levels.  The dumbing down of America is happening faster than I thought.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »
You speak for 95% of the people here.  That's interesting on so many levels.  The dumbing down of America is happening faster than I thought.

I thought that you knew that 95% of all facts are made up on the spot.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 06:23:28 PM »
I thought that you knew that 95% of all facts are made up on the spot.

I thought it was 103% are made up 86% of the time

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 12:55:19 PM »
Speaking of newly annointed DBBO's and AAU, high school, basketball camp connections.....working his way up from  video coordinator. ;D

http://www.uicflames.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/ryan_matt00.html
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 03:14:43 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 02:19:55 PM »
Speaking of cleaning up, looks like Yogie Ferrel will commit to IU per the Indy Star.  If you're into ratings, he's the #2 point guard in the nation per Rivals.

They also got a commitment yesterday from Collin Hartman and Devin Davis, both in state kids.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 02:28:38 PM »
Speaking of cleaning up, looks like Yogie Ferrel will commit to IU per the Indy Star.  If you're into ratings, he's the #2 point guard in the nation per Rivals.

They also got a commitment yesterday from Collin Hartman and Devin Davis, both in state kids.

Yogi (vs Yogie) and many others have been scolding the Indy Star today after they said he had committed... ... including Kevin himself... not that I don't think it'll happen.  But, interesting how upset some are at the Indy Star.

BTW - I think you may mean #2 point guard in the nation in the 2012 class?  I don't know that I'd put him up there.. Rose, Paige.. maybe a couple of others.  He's a wee little man.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »
Wow.. now his mom is apparently going off at the writer from the Indy Star.. "Please don't look at, shake the hand of, or talk to my son Yogi EVER How cud u steal the most important day of my son's life" and "Yogi will officially commit to a college (one of his top five) tmrw.  Please don't be there!  You already had your story."

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 02:40:02 PM »

Stop touching yourself
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 02:41:05 PM »
Maybe Crean can get that all important Childress commitment to join his staff!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Yogi (vs Yogie) and many others have been scolding the Indy Star today after they said he had committed... ... including Kevin himself... not that I don't think it'll happen.  But, interesting how upset some are at the Indy Star.

BTW - I think you may mean #2 point guard in the nation in the 2012 class?  I don't know that I'd put him up there.. Rose, Paige.. maybe a couple of others.  He's a wee little man.

Yes, that's what I mean...if you believe that crap...which I think is just for fans to get all ginned up about.

Well, that and it's funny to watch some folks here and their predictions get shattered....just because.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 04:41:12 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2010, 04:39:29 PM »
Stop touching yourself

It's hard not to, Buzz is a beautiful man

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 10:14:15 AM »
I think the consensus is that you have a hard-on (and agenda) for certain people as can be seen in 60% of your posts.  Fair and accurate summary.

Can't be sure what you're referring to.  If you're referring to the pretzel logic that you use to defend TC, then I am guilty.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 05:56:03 PM »
C'mon, you've been around, you're smarter than this...You dont think this hire/promotion helps maintain the relationship between the Indiana Elite and the IU program? Again, its not illegal, per se, because he is the son of the AAU coach, not the coach himself.

I think you have to look at it from the recruit's standpoint.  Is it reasonable to think that a player would attend a particular school because they hired the son of his AAU coach?

I think the NCAA--rightly--views that there is a strong relationship between an AAU coach and his players, and there is no similar bond between a player and his coach's son.

Ugh...I feel like MU84 after this post.

Ugh?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2010, 08:39:33 PM »
Wow.. now his mom is apparently going off at the writer from the Indy Star.. "Please don't look at, shake the hand of, or talk to my son Yogi EVER How cud u steal the most important day of my son's life" and "Yogi will officially commit to a college (one of his top five) tmrw.  Please don't be there!  You already had your story."

So much for that

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20101124/SPORTS04/311240075/IU+basketball+keeps+the+commitments+rolling++adds+Yogi+Ferrell

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
  Can't be sure what you're referring to.  If you're referring to the pretzel logic that you use to defend TC, then I am guilty.

Love to hear the pretzel logic you refer to. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
Crean has steadily improved his recruiting while at IU. Not sure how big of a blow this might end up being...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5868312

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2010, 08:54:54 AM »
So, a project big from a juco and a questionable background brings bad publicity to a school and shows a lack of due diligence by a coaching staff and somehow that coach isn't lambasted for doing questionable things.     I will keep this in mind. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.