collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twitter 3.0  (Read 33079 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Twitter 3.0
« Reply #300 on: November 17, 2022, 04:11:13 PM »
Your usual drivel.

I never said it was a ‘free speech issue’. I know it makes your comment seem deeper by pretending I did.

My comment was just saying that a guy who is the ultimate free speecher wants to squelch free speech in his own company.

So it's not a "free speech issue"...but then you make it out as a free speech issue.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #301 on: November 17, 2022, 05:11:48 PM »
Shocking but maybe this wasn’t well thought out by musk.

Scoop: I am hearing far fewer than expected devs hit "yes".
https://twitter.com/gergelyorosz/status/1593335536697090048?s=46&t=rKf40iP288wPI0Wmu7BZwQ

Elon sent out an email relaxing remote working from the former draconian policy.

I'm hearing he is having meetings w top engineers to convince them to stay.

Sounds like playing hardball does not work. Ofc it doesn't.

The new remote policy is how remote work is approved as long as the manager of the engineer takes responsibility that the dev makes excellent contributions.

In-person meetings w teammates are expected ideally weekly; the very least monthly.

Also

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #302 on: November 17, 2022, 05:46:21 PM »

https://twitter.com/gergelyorosz/status/1593335536697090048?s=46&t=rKf40iP288wPI0Wmu7BZwQ

Elon sent out an email relaxing remote working from the former draconian policy.

The new remote policy is how remote work is approved as long as the manager of the engineer takes responsibility that the dev makes excellent contributions.

In-person meetings w teammates are expected ideally weekly; the very least monthly.

Also

Almost as if they could 'collectively bargain' by not clicking yes.  Hmmmm... Hmmmm... 

This was 100% a bully move by Elon.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #303 on: November 17, 2022, 05:49:20 PM »

Also

Hell of a thread reading the whole thing

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #304 on: November 17, 2022, 06:13:21 PM »
Hell of a thread reading the whole thing
Yup, pretty much what we have been saying here: crap all over people, fire half of them with little or no thought, threaten those that remain. Anyone good will leave, only those with no options will stay, which are mostly the people you actually would benefit most from getting rid of.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #305 on: November 17, 2022, 06:22:43 PM »
Yeah, I'd want to stay around and work with this guy...

@ZoeSchiffer
NEW: Twitter just alerted employees that effective immediately, all office buildings are temporarily closed and badge access is suspended. No details given as to why.
5:52 PM · Nov 17, 2022
·

@ZoeSchiffer
·
27m
Replying to
@ZoeSchiffer
We're hearing this is because Elon Musk and his team are terrified employees are going to sabotage the company. Also, they're still trying to figure out which Twitter workers they need to cut access for.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #306 on: November 17, 2022, 06:26:34 PM »

@ZoeSchiffer
NEW: Twitter just alerted employees that effective immediately, all office buildings are temporarily closed and badge access is suspended. No details given as to why.
·

@ZoeSchiffer
·
27m
Replying to
@ZoeSchiffer
We're hearing this is because Elon Musk and his team are terrified employees are going to sabotage the company. Also, they're still trying to figure out which Twitter workers they need to cut access for.

Libs owned
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #307 on: November 17, 2022, 06:32:47 PM »

@ZoeSchiffer
·

@ZoeSchiffer
·
27m
Replying to
@ZoeSchiffer

Nice CYA for when then they don’t have enough engineers to keep the lights because of his petulance and man-baby outbursts and Twitter goes down, it will because of “sabotage” .

🤡 🤡 🤡

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #308 on: November 17, 2022, 07:08:37 PM »

So it's not a "free speech issue"...but then you make it out as a free speech issue.

It is called irony. A man who is all about free speech telling his employees they will be fired if they follow his lead.

So no, it is not a constitutional free speech issue. It is about the free speech pronouncements of Twitter’s leader.

But I think your reading comprehension is just fine and you just wanted to make a snarky remark.

• All American
« Reply #309 on: November 17, 2022, 07:28:00 PM »
It is called irony. A man who is all about free speech telling his employees they will be fired if they follow his lead.

So no, it is not a constitutional free speech issue. It is about the free speech pronouncements of Twitter’s leader.

But I think your reading comprehension is just fine and you just wanted to make a snarky remark.

No I think you’re just sad that your sixth grade level logic was so easily dismantled.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #310 on: November 17, 2022, 07:41:24 PM »
Sounds like the "hardcore" thing went about as expected

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #311 on: November 17, 2022, 08:27:56 PM »
From the Internet:

Twitter is crashing and burning faster than a tesla.

So apparently the guy who enabled Snoopy and Jesus Christ to have verified accounts for $8 and fired most of the company’s talent, is worried about someone sabotaging #Twitter….

And from Dan Rather, ouch

I remember the old saying, “Better to be thought a fool than to buy Twitter and remove all doubt.”
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 08:53:28 PM by pbiflyer »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #312 on: November 17, 2022, 09:28:14 PM »
@justinbaragona: According to the New York Times, employees at Twitter just began hanging up as Elon Musk was talking during videoconference call today, apparently deciding to quit and take the severance package as the 5 pm deadline

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #313 on: November 17, 2022, 10:26:11 PM »
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6655881

As I stated earlier today, Musk is being a bully and its going to cost him BILLIONS. 

What an absolute genius businessman!

FAFO

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #314 on: November 17, 2022, 10:52:36 PM »
So, every extremely rich person is perfect and therefore can't be criticized?

Yeah, Mike. That’s exactly what I said. Never.

Forgetful has gone on and on in this thread. The geniuses he hangs with don’t think Musk is all that smart. Hards claims he comes from “enormous wealth” and belittles his accomplishments. Lots of others here echo the “He’s stupid” line.

He’s certainly not beyond criticism. And I never ceded him any moral high ground because of his success. But the envy here is palpable and it’s not a particularly good look. Sorry for the interruption - get back to the circle jerk with all the geniuses here who know what a dumb sh!t Elon Musk is. Funny stuff.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #315 on: November 17, 2022, 11:23:02 PM »

Forgetful has gone on and on in this thread. The geniuses he hangs with don’t think Musk is all that smart. Hards claims he comes from “enormous wealth” and belittles his accomplishments. Lots of others here echo the “He’s stupid” line.

He’s certainly not beyond criticism. And I never ceded him any moral high ground because of his success. But the envy here is palpable and it’s not a particularly good look. Sorry for the interruption - get back to the circle jerk with all the geniuses here who know what a dumb sh!t Elon Musk is. Funny stuff.

I'm in agreement with much of what you said but to downplay the wealth he comes from is either being willfully ignorant or flat out stupid.
Maigh Eo for Sam

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #316 on: November 18, 2022, 12:44:52 AM »

Zero envy for Musk. I don't want his life and never did. And you make a ton of assumptions about people you don't know.

And I never went on and on. I made one statement that people I know and respect don't think he's much of a genius. I stand by that statement. I also made it clear that I've never met Musk so can't make my own call on that. The rest of my posts were criticizing amazingly bad decisions he made, and continues to make.

You then attacked me for criticizing bad decisions of his, because how dare I, someone you know nothing about, criticize a man who became the world's richest person.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 08:45:00 AM by forgetful »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #317 on: November 18, 2022, 01:12:44 AM »
I'm in agreement with much of what you said but to downplay the wealth he comes from is either being willfully ignorant or flat out stupid.

There is really no tangible evidence to support the whole “vast wealth from emerald mines” theory.  The only tangible evidence for Musk’s inherited wealth is his dad’s $25K investment in Zip2.  And if that’s the barometer, I should tell a bunch of middle/upper middle class kids I know, whose parents paid $25-$50k for their college in the late 90s/early 2000s, that they come from great wealth.

Musk wasn’t destitute but he wasn’t some silver spoon trust funder who just moved around his family’s millions.  Just like he’s not some unimpeachable business god who never missteps.  He could end up transforming Twitter for the better,  up early returns aren’t too rosy

MU82

• All American
« Reply #318 on: November 18, 2022, 08:00:33 AM »

I can't speak for others, but for the record I never said or even implied that Musk was stupid or that he hasn't accomplished amazing things. I own TSLA shares in great part because I believe he's gifted.

But even incredibly smart people sometimes do and/or say incredibly stupid things. He just badly overpaid for a deeply troubled company -- one he didn't even want -- and he did so out of spite and hubris. He let his politics and his ego blind his decision-making ability. And in the process he has made numerous errors, many of which he had to backtrack on, and some of those errors were out of cruelty and hypocrisy.

He also has admitted that this whole Twitter affair has distracted him from leading TSLA ... and as a TSLA shareholder I don't like that at all. I wouldn't like it if he were a Democrat, an Independent or a Republican.

He's a smart man, perhaps even a genius, but that's really stupid business.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #319 on: November 18, 2022, 08:09:03 AM »
Meanwhile ...

From the NYT DealBook:

No, Twitter is not dead this morning, despite #RIPTwitter trending on the social network last night. But its future looks more turbulent than at any point since Elon Musk took over three weeks ago, as a huge number of workers decided to quit rather than agree to the billionaire’s loyalty pledge, which involved committing to a “hard core” work routine to grow the platform.

The newly shrunken Twitter now faces numerous questions, including about its ability to maintain mission-critical systems, police content on its platform, remain in compliance with regulatory agreements and, frankly, stay afloat while laboring under a huge amount of debt.

Hundreds of employees have resigned, some even before Musk’s 5 p.m. Eastern pledge deadline took effect. The apparent feeling: better to take three months’ severance pay than to work under a leader who has demanded long hours and fired dozens of employees who had criticized him, some publicly. A poll of nearly 250 employees conducted on Blind, an anonymized social network for tech workers, suggested that nearly three-quarters favored leaving Twitter.

As the company did when it laid off half its work force, Twitter locked its offices and disabled employee badge access until Monday.

Farmland produces the food, fiber and fuel we rely on, and when prices rise, generally so do farmland values. For the past 50 years, farmland has shown a positive spread to inflation helping landowners preserve value largely through appreciation. AcreTrader offers U.S. investors access to farmland, a historically stable investment that delivers consistent positive returns. Discover the powerful inflation-hedging potential of farmland and support the vital industry of agriculture simultaneously.

Musk appears to have underestimated how many people would leave. Though he may have viewed his ultimatum as a way to weed out disaffected workers and cut costs, Twitter’s leadership instead spent time yesterday trying to convince “critical” employees that they should stay.

Musk also backtracked on a ban on remote work, at least somewhat. He told employees yesterday that they could work remotely, so long as their managers certified they were making “an excellent contribution.” But he also warned said managers not to lie about that, or risk being “exited from the company.” (The edict came after a former employee sued the company over Musk’s remote-working ban, arguing it was discriminatory against those with disabilities.)

The resignations haven’t dimmed Musk’s joking on Twitter. He tweeted, “We just hit another all-time high in Twitter usage lol” and posted several memes about the chaos.

But many of Twitter’s problems aren’t laughing matters. Among those who have left were members of the trust and public safety teams and critical engineering teams. “Every mistake in code and operations is now deadly,” a former engineer told The Washington Post. Meanwhile, seven Democratic senators yesterday urged the F.T.C. to investigate whether Twitter had remained in compliance with a 2011 consumer privacy settlement.

None of this chaos is likely to reassure either the scores of advertisers who have paused campaigns on the platform since Musk took over, or the banks who extended $13 billion in loans to help finance his takeover and are counting on him to pay $1 billion in interest each year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #320 on: November 18, 2022, 08:28:06 AM »
There is really no tangible evidence to support the whole “vast wealth from emerald mines” theory.  The only tangible evidence for Musk’s inherited wealth is his dad’s $25K investment in Zip2.  And if that’s the barometer, I should tell a bunch of middle/upper middle class kids I know, whose parents paid $25-$50k for their college in the late 90s/early 2000s, that they come from great wealth.

Musk wasn’t destitute but he wasn’t some silver spoon trust funder who just moved around his family’s millions.  Just like he’s not some unimpeachable business god who never missteps.  He could end up transforming Twitter for the better,  up early returns aren’t too rosy

Investment and opportunity being born into that wealth creates are two different things. I'd also argue that a casual 25k business investment is very different than parents paying for college. College you're paying for general security and assurance that your kids will be marginally successful. Business investments you are not. Last I read his family cut them off when he was 16, that still leaves him growing up with the best schools, tutors, networks, etc and wanting for not it's essentially a parent who has that money to say gamble with. My understanding is Greg Kouri was a network connection he had made from his name (father) as well. And a rather important one for the future. If I used my parents best connections the best I'd know is a ceo of a niche chemical transportation company or Larry Bell and I'm sure the vast majority of people in middle/upper middle class homes feel similarly. Very different situations.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2022, 08:42:49 AM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #321 on: November 18, 2022, 08:37:22 AM »
Investment and opportunity being born into that wealth creates are two different things. I'd also argue that a casual 25k business investment is very different than parents paying for college. College you're paying for general security and assurance that your kids will be marginally successful. Business investments you are not. Last I read his family cut them off when he was 16, that still leaves him growing up with the best schools, tutors, networks, etc and wanting for not it's essentially a parent who has that money to say gamble with. My understanding is Greg Kouri was a network connection he had made from his name (father) as well. And a rather important one for the future. If I used my parents best connections the best I'd know is a ceo of a niche chemical transportation company and I'm sure the vast majority of people in middle/upper middle class homes feel similarly. Very different situations.

There's probably a reason knowing someone's birth zip code can reliably identify where they end up in life.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #322 on: November 18, 2022, 08:49:34 AM »
He did have to deal with his dad impregnating his stepsister so it's not like he had everything going for him
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #323 on: November 18, 2022, 08:50:09 AM »
Investment and opportunity being born into that wealth creates are two different things. I'd also argue that a casual 25k business investment is very different than parents paying for college. College you're paying for general security and assurance that your kids will be marginally successful. Business investments you are not. Last I read his family cut them off when he was 16, that still leaves him growing up with the best schools, tutors, networks, etc and wanting for not it's essentially a parent who has that money to say gamble with. My understanding is Greg Kouri was a network connection he had made from his name (father) as well. And a rather important one for the future. If I used my parents best connections the best I'd know is a ceo of a niche chemical transportation company or Larry Bell and I'm sure the vast majority of people in middle/upper middle class homes feel similarly. Very different situations.

Yes, obviously being born into wealth and having his father invest $25,000 into his initial business were distinct advantages that Musk had. However, you don't turn $25,000 into a $300 million company unless you are really good at what you do.  My guess is that someone like Musk would have found a way without that initial investment from his father.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #324 on: November 18, 2022, 08:58:58 AM »
I think Musk's problems are two fold. His insatiable ego, and his lack of awareness and understanding of how different fields work. By many accounts he was forced out shortly after PayPal merged with his business because they didn't trust him to fix technology issues and a poor business model, and they only originally merged with Musk's X.com because of his money.

He then moved on to SpaceX and Tesla, where he had tremendous success, and built amazing innovative companies.

He is trying to emulate that culture at Twitter, but he doesn't understand the differences between the two types of tech companies.

SpaceX and Tesla were successful because he was able to bring in some of the brightest minds in science and engineering, and get these people to work insanely hard. It was successful, because of the culture/mindset of those scientists/engineers. Most went into their fields hoping to get to change/influence the world through the exact vision that SpaceX and Tesla were selling. They were motivated to work nonstop before coming, and were looking for a company like SpaceX (explore space) and Tesla (save the world). The project was the incentive.

That is not the culture of social media tech, especially companies like Twitter/META. Those employees are motivated by the high pay, and comparatively lax work environment. They are not "changing the world" at those companies and have little loyalty to the goal/institution. That is why I was critical about his ultimatum. It was moronic and demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of the fields and what/why things worked at SpaceX/Tesla.

Now there is a chance this all still works in his favor. Twitter is a dying business model, and when it was a publicly traded company, they couldn't do much to save it. As a private company, Musk can burn it to the ground and build a better model. It is risky, and could be a $44B learning opportunity, but maybe that is his plan...burn it to the ground to build a new company on a more viable business model. I don't think that is his plan, but may become it based on his erroneous decisions.