Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Derrick injury  (Read 5774 times)

jsglow

• All American
Derrick injury
« on: November 15, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »
We knew before the game that Derrick was dinged up.  What I'm not clear about is whether he aggravated said injury further last night.  I personally didn't see anything happen.  I hope he's okay as despite what some say on here we do need him.  Anyone with anything further on this?

Ardmore Mug

• All American
Re: Derrick injury
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 09:47:10 AM »
spent a lot of time on the stationary bike during the game   

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:48:22 AM »
...banged it up on that drive to the hoop that was rather physical (and ugly).  Gave Du a chance to play PG in the 2nd. 

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 10:47:02 AM »
Thought I saw ice on both knees during the first half

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 11:07:35 AM »
I'd imagine just precautionary given that we have OSU coming up and the game was solidly in MU's favor. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 12:36:47 PM »
I'd imagine just precautionary given that we have OSU coming up and the game was solidly in MU's favor. 

I'd like to think that it is a symbolic turning of the page and that a new chapter is being written. He seems like a great person and should be counted on to provide substantial, invigorating leadership for an inexperienced team. Inspiration and encouragement doesn't only happen between the white lines.

Death on call

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 12:48:28 PM »
I'd like to think that it is a symbolic turning of the page and that a new chapter is being written. He seems like a great person and should be counted on to provide substantial, invigorating leadership for an inexperienced team. Inspiration and encouragement doesn't only happen between the white lines.

I'd like to agree, yet don't think at this stage this is the reality - more wishful thinking.  However, I do feel this could take place by January...if* Derrick continues to perform as he did last night/as he did last year.  He'll be given every chance to prove he's improved.  But if he continues with a 22 O Rating...turn the page.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 12:49:53 PM »
I saw it as more of symbolic thing. The injury might have been to save some face for him being taken out of the starting lineup.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 12:59:02 PM »
I saw it as more of symbolic thing. The injury might have been to save some face for him being taken out of the starting lineup.

Banged up knee.  Wojo said after we need him back quickly, healthy. With only nine guys and a proclivity for many of them to foul, he has to pull back the full court pressure.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:10:13 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »
A. It is bad karma to ever wish injury or illness on people (not that anybody was doing that).

2. We have 9 warm bodies. We need everybody.

C. There will be specific instances where we need Derrick's defense, just as the Elite Eight team benefited from having him in that role.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TheBurrEffect

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 01:10:07 PM »
Banged up knee.  Wojo said after we need him back quickly healthy. With only nine guys and a proclivity for many of them to foul, he has to pull back the full court pressure.

Banged up knee, but he still plays in the game. Not saying he wasn't hurt, but it was a great time to pull him from the starting roster and save face.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »
I don't think that this is anything about Derrick's performance and I hope his injury is manageable.  We're not talking Joe Fulce here. Derrick is rightfully the Senior Co-Captain. We absolutely need his contribution.  Last night we were basically playing with 7 guys.  You can't do that for long.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:36:10 PM by jsglow »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 02:55:32 PM »
Banged up knee, but he still plays in the game. Not saying he wasn't hurt, but it was a great time to pull him from the starting roster and save face.

Played in the game when we needed him. Pulled for cautionary reasons when the game was in hand. Just like pulling the starting QB when you are up 3 touchdowns in the fourth.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 03:02:55 PM »
I don't think that this is anything about Derrick's performance and I hope h I s injury is manageable.  We're not talking Joe Fulce here. Derrick is rightfully the Senior Co-Captain. We absolutely need his contribution.  Last night we were basically playing with 7 guys.  You can't do that for long.

Right.... 3 weeks from now everyone will have to play......

You run 7 guys 20 minutes a night youll be down to 5 by January...

brandx

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 03:55:31 PM »

I never understood this line of reasoning. It's not like it's me out there on the court.

These are 19-21 year-old guys that can run all day. My guess is that when they are back home on the playground, they are not monitoring their minutes. They can run all day. Kemba played 40 minutes for 5 straight days will no ill effect, then came back the next week and played 40 more for a couple games.

When I got out of high school, I worked at a factory for a couple years before going back to school. I'd work all night and hit the gym in the morning for 4 hours of basketball and racket ball.

You can do that when you are 19.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 04:07:18 PM »
I never understood this line of reasoning. It's not like it's me out there on the court.

These are 19-21 year-old guys that can run all day. My guess is that when they are back home on the playground, they are not monitoring their minutes. They can run all day. Kemba played 40 minutes for 5 straight days will no ill effect, then came back the next week and played 40 more for a couple games.

When I got out of high school, I worked at a factory for a couple years before going back to school. I'd work all night and hit the gym in the morning for 4 hours of basketball and racket ball.

You can do that when you are 19.
I totally agree. I always laugh when I hear that fatigue is a factor for playing 2 games in 3 days or something.  They would play 3 games in a row if they could. I did at that age and thought nothing of it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 04:39:19 PM »

By January, running 7 guys 20 minutes a night still gives you 60 minutes to spread among three players.  Or an average of 20 minutes per player.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 04:54:31 PM »
Seems like you guys have forgotten the Providence team from last year.  All guys can go 20+ minutes.  Few can go 30-35 and remain at peak efficiency much less out of serious foul trouble.  You try to do that with 7 total and the AVERAGE is nearly 29. Forget it.

Back to Derrick.  I hope he's fine and last night was mostly precautionary.  I don't have the minutes but I believe that he played most of the WI Lutheran exhibition.  Every guard that can play allows our bigger guys to share the 4 and 5 as we maintain a true 3 guard lineup.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »
I'd like to agree, yet don't think at this stage this is the reality - more wishful thinking.  However, I do feel this could take place by January...if* Derrick continues to perform as he did last night/as he did last year.  He'll be given every chance to prove he's improved.  But if he continues with a 22 O Rating...turn the page.

I think Keefe's point is that his leadership off the court is every bit as important to an inexperienced team as whatever he contributes on it.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 11:46:37 PM »
Of the fatigue excuse, Bobby Knight once said something like: "These are young kids who are premier athletes. They play 4 minutes and then get a 2-minute time out. Then they play 4 more minutes and get another 2-minute time out. And so on. And the end of the game, there are more play stoppages than time on the court. If these guys are too fatigued, they shouldn't be on athletic scholarships."

I'm no fan of the bellicose bully, but I have trouble arguing against this point. Heck, the pressure of sports at this level probably brings more mental fatigue than physical fatigue -- for all but the Davantes, anyway.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson