[Today at 11:36:18 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What's going on with Kur?  (Read 10061 times)

1SE

• All American
What's going on with Kur?
« on: February 13, 2022, 02:26:24 AM »
Unfortunate game last night. Butlers opening 75% 3pt shooting was insane, also all the late clock 3s when we were trying to get back into it. Most of those were well contested, sometimes it just happens.

Mostly a fluke, but what is going on w Kur? I mean he's never been a world beater, but he's been contributing less and less and last night was awful. 0s across the statline (except 1 PF). But not only that he just often looked lost - either getting stuck under the basket and out of position for rebound or unexplicably double teaming some guy 35 feet from the basket and leaving his man wide open ar the basket.

I hope he gets it figured out because we definitely need him to be a positive contributor if we want a happy ending to this season.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

MARQKC

• Starter
Re: What's going on with Kur?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 04:05:11 AM »
I wondered the same thing. He took no shots and made no rebounds in 13 minutes. But there’s more. All the forwards not named Lewis took six shots.  Seems wrong somehow.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 04:11:05 AM by MARQKC »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 05:09:48 AM »
Kur gets all of his points off the pick and roll and dump offs.   Opponents scouting reports are on to him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 06:24:10 AM »
Kur gets all of his points off the pick and roll and dump offs.   Opponents scouting reports are on to him.

It's not really the 0 pts (although that's not great) - it's the 0 boards and 0 blocks - plus he was WWAAAYY out of position multiple times.

Real Warriors Demand Excellence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 06:41:23 AM »
The rebounds are a recurring issue.  I think Butler was playing some 5 out, pulling him away from the hoop.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2022, 06:59:14 AM »
He only does one thing well. And he’s not even doing that well lately.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2022, 09:00:16 AM »
The "he's the next McIlvaine-ish" vibe (or even "next Bill Russell-ish" vibe) surrounding KK after his better games always seemed overly enthusiastic. He's a role player who, on his best nights, is good at his role -- which makes him similar to our many other role players.

But because he can only do one thing at a high level, when that one thing isn't happening Shaka has recognized that KK simply can't be on the court.

One of the worst "ugh" moments yesterday (in a game filled with many): Midway through the first half, with Butler up 26-11 on 6-for-8 shooting from 3, Harris finally missed one. But Golden -- who isn't exactly Sanogo or Watson -- did a swim move to easily beat Kuath for an offensive board, hit the layup, was hacked by KK and made the FT. About a minute later, KK was on the bench and he didn't play again for the rest of the half.

That KK has managed 1 or 0 rebounds in four of our last six games (and is averaging 1.5 boards) is almost unfathomable. I know that there are convincing defensive-scheme-related arguments as to why he's not a big-time rebounder, but he's a fairly athletic 6-10 guy with good timing; you'd think he'd accidentally get 3 or 4 rebounds in the amount of PT he gets (and indeed he did average 6.2 rebs during the first 5 games of our winning streak).

I nonetheless am glad he's on the team. Seems like a great guy, and he definitely has contributed to many of our wins. That stretch against Seton Hall where he was blocking everything is one of the more memorable scenes from our winning streak. I think Shaka has done a good job allocating PT to him and Oso based on situations and to how each is playing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2022, 09:08:03 AM »
I said this yesterday in the post-game tower thread, but I don't think Oso should have been on the floor at the end.  He was getting abused on the pick-n-roll constantly...either by forcing him to make the switch or back attacking him off the dribble.  They needed stops and just couldn't get one.

Not that they should have put Kur in, but I think going small with Lewis on Golden would have been a better option.  Bonus is that you can get another shooter out there too.  Greg, Kam, Tyler, Daryl, Justin.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2022, 10:41:29 AM »
What's the adjustment or counter to teams taking away the roll to the rim? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 10:53:52 AM »
It is all part of teams taking Kolek's passing away.  The defenders are staying home on him and the big defender is rolling with Kur/Osa to take away the lob.  Other defenders are staying home to take away passing angles.  Betting that Kolek's defender and a big in the area can stop Kolek at the rim.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 03:25:42 PM »
Kurt is what he is. A 3ppg 5th year senior/grad student. He should be in the game near the end in close games as a rim protector.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 03:31:57 PM »
It is all part of teams taking Kolek's passing away.  The defenders are staying home on him and the big defender is rolling with Kur/Osa to take away the lob.  Other defenders are staying home to take away passing angles.  Betting that Kolek's defender and a big in the area can stop Kolek at the rim.

Yes, that goes a long way toward explaining why KK hasn't been an offensive threat at all in recent games. Doesn't explain the defensive and rebounding woes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 03:35:31 PM »
Bad hands.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2022, 04:41:37 PM »
We're simply not as good when Kur isn't playing his A game.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2022, 04:43:15 PM »
Yes.  But we can say that about any of the top 8.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2022, 05:14:18 PM »

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2022, 07:42:05 PM »
Kur is just not any good.  He’s a 5th yr Sr and is NOT getting it done.

How the HECK can u be 6’11” and athletic and get barely one rebound a game ??   I mean ... come ON !!

He blocks a few shots. Done. Can’t score. Bad hands ...

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2022, 09:34:01 PM »
Hard to understand how both are centers that can not even try a 15 footer, what do they work on in Practice?
Theo was the same but he had a left and right hook at least.  Like playing 4 on 5 all the time! 

Boone

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2022, 09:43:49 PM »
And if Stevie’s in its 3 on 5

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2022, 09:53:04 PM »
Oso's FT form is pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if he's got a 15-footer in his game, and I'd like to see it next season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2022, 10:14:28 PM »
Coaches largely don’t want great shooters shooting 15 footers. Not sure you want your centers shooting those shots.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2022, 10:20:19 PM »
Coaches largely don’t want great shooters shooting 15 footers. Not sure you want your centers shooting those shots.
Nope, highly inefficient. Both centers have that little 6' push shot down, but you don't want them shooting beyond 10' (or less) unless they can make a three.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2022, 10:26:42 PM »
Marquettes offense seems to have gotten much better when it started taking “less efficient” shots though.

Justin Lewis and Darryl Morsell mid range jumpers are some of the best shot choices for this team.

Step out 15-20 foot jumper from Oso, with the other solid skills he possesses- like able ball handling/dribbling and court vision/passing- seems like it would be a very welcome addition to the offense.

Of course that assumes he can make the shot decently enough.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2022, 10:28:51 PM »
I think a year and 20 lbs from now, we will see a far more complete offensive game from Oso.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2022, 10:36:18 PM »

Do you ever watch the Badgers?  Or if he does not want your shooters to shoot, how about a move or two other than a dunk.

feedback