* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU Freshmen-What Happens?  (Read 2318 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Re: MU Freshmen-What Happens?
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2024, 04:48:26 PM »
He won’t.

If Kolek and Kam decide to leave, MU would have the least experienced backcourt in years, Jones, Ross or Mitchell do not excite me, and the 2 freshman, well what can you say.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2024, 04:48:36 PM »
Quote from Shaka in the Athletic article from June.

"We've never really believed in ever prioritizing someone that's not worn our jersey over guys who have been here and built our program and been receptive, been recruited by us to come in here, build relationships and grow and win."

Will Shaka walk that back and go to the portal?    First of all, assuming Oso and TKo leave and nobody transfers out, there is only one scholarship open next year.   If TKo stays, none.    In which case there will be nothing from the portal.     I absolutely cannot picture somebody being Smart-assed off the roster and replaced with a player from the portal.     So, one at most.   Barring a lot of tranfers out, I am just not feeling transfers in.     

If Kolek leaves, I think they add a starter caliber player from the portal. If he stays, I think they add no one. Though I think Shaka will add quality players from the portal in years where the team is young. Shouldn’t be the case next year at least.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2024, 04:48:56 PM »
Yes Tower….as much as scoopers wanna bitch about getting transfers next year on Jan 6th…..Shaka will put his energy into Zaide and Tre….not trying to fund a player to overstep a player we already have.
I don’t understand why scoopers don’t understand this….even though Shaka has described his approach publicly.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 05:31:48 PM by We R Final Four »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2024, 04:50:04 PM »
I like it.   Out-Smarted it shall be. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2024, 04:50:43 PM »
If Kolek and Kam decide to leave, MU would have the least experienced backcourt in years, Jones, Ross or Mitchell do not excite me, and the 2 freshman, well what can you say.

Cam Davis will most likely be back.

(Bush league announcing today).

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2024, 04:51:36 PM »
Cam Davis will most likely be back.

Let's hope not. That Davis guy couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2024, 04:53:41 PM »
MU is a name right now, lots going for them, so the opportunity to get a good player is pretty high, rather have somebody you will know can play then those 2 freshman that have done absolutely nothing.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2024, 04:55:31 PM »
I dont think Shaka is interested in what excites you about next years team.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2024, 04:57:25 PM »
MU is a name right now, lots going for them, so the opportunity to get a good player is pretty high, rather have somebody you will know can play then those 2 freshman that have done absolutely nothing.

So Shaka should go full hypocrite and abandon everything he has preached about culture, growth, and relationships because you are feeling salty about this years' freshmen.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2024, 04:58:34 PM »
I dont think Shaka is interested in what excites you about next years team.

Right, he will make 3M no matter what happens!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2024, 04:58:42 PM »

Where the hell is Kam going to go?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2024, 04:59:52 PM »
So Shaka should go full hypocrite and abandon everything he has preached about culture, growth, and relationships because you are feeling salty about this years' freshmen.

The best 2 players he signed where from the portal!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2024, 05:02:43 PM »
The best 2 players he signed where from the portal!

Context matters. Want to compare the scenarios? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2024, 05:05:18 PM »
And?   Transfers happen during coaching changes.   Wrightsil came from NAIA because wanted an opportunity.   And?   

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2024, 05:06:47 PM »
They'll look at guys in the portal. Whether they actually can land anyone who will make an impact is another story.

But looking at the lack of talent behind the top three guys... Unless they're okay bottoming out for a year to get Tre, Zaide, Al, and Caedin some run he's gonna have to get someone.

panda

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2024, 05:09:47 PM »

Boy do I have news for you - college coaches lie

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2024, 05:12:13 PM »
Right, he will make 3M no matter what happens!
You should apply.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2024, 05:16:49 PM »
You should apply.

Not sure he would get fired until 2031, so I hope I am just alive at that time!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2024, 05:18:56 PM »
Al is raw and what I have seen from him is encouraging. MU is pretty soft in the paint and I find it hard to believe he can't help for 3-5 minute stretches. This back tap crap isn't going to cut it against these physical BE teams.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2024, 05:26:29 PM »
Al is raw and what I have seen from him is encouraging. MU is pretty soft in the paint and I find it hard to believe he can't help for 3-5 minute stretches. This back tap crap isn't going to cut it against these physical BE teams.

Al has major upside and will be a player here.  Zaide too.  I'm struggling to see it with Tre though - like his competitive spirit and he's physical but he strikes me as more of a role player talent than a big time player.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2024, 06:25:30 PM »
You will need at least one potential starter in the portal next year, mainly a guard

How about a center? Ben Gold is not the answer. 1 rebound for a big dude? Yikes. So what he can make the occasional three. We are getting wrecked on the boards far too often. We need a big.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2024, 06:39:05 PM »
How about a center? Ben Gold is not the answer. 1 rebound for a big dude? Yikes. So what he can make the occasional three. We are getting wrecked on the boards far too often. We need a big.

Guess I am hoping Parham or Hamilton
Can play, I have said many times that Gold is not a center.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2024, 06:47:58 PM »
Ben Gold is not the answer.

You are correct. And I almost don't care what the question was. Slow, poor on D, foul-prone, and where's the shooting we've heard about?

Class71

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2024, 06:57:10 PM »
Lets worry about one year at a time. A number of BE teams have improved and we are not hitting 3's. We continue to miss a strong power forward and the loss of Omax made matters worse. We do not play well against physical teams and we have no solution.

However, we do have some obvious strong points such as excellent passing, a great turnover differential, good D and a strong possibility that 3 point shooting will improve.

This team will need to relentlessly battle in every game to succeed. We need to faithfully support them in this effort if they are to believe in themselves. We need to play an important role if this team is going to win. It is up to us to keep our end of the deal to give the blue and gold a chance.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2024, 08:13:50 PM »

The irony is that the success at MU has thus far been driven by transfer players.  Morsell, Kuath, Kolek and OMax have proven to be not only outstanding players for MU, but apparently completely in line with what Shaka has preached about culture, growth, and relationships. And how do you explain giving a Wrightsil a shot? 

I don't get Shaka's sudden aversion to transfer players given this very recent history.